differences between anandha bhairavi and reethi gowla?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
Priya

Post by Priya »

Hey rasikans, I wanted to start a discussion on how to avoid mixing up anandha bhairavi and reethi gowla ragams

all I know is that they have the same swarasthanas, but they're diff. in the way the phrases are made, as in, there are some phrases distinct to each raga and that can not be used for the other one, it's all very confusing and I;d appreciate it if someone more versed in these 2 ragas could throw some light on the differences and how to elaborate on both ragas without infringing on each other's territory : )

thanks so much in advance.
regards.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Are you asking for identification or learning...if the former:

Look for NNS in R-gowla and PDPS in A Bhairavi
Anandha Bhairavi takes some foreign notes like D2 (although versions of Ritigowla also take D2 but not both D2 and D3)

I am sure others will contribute more. OTOH, if you're learning consult your guru abuot how these ragas are to be handled since actual demonstartion is worth a thousand times more than theory..

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

There is a Lecture demo by Shri. RK Srikantan but it is in Kannada. Here is the link - http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... index.html

SR

arasi

Post by arasi »

SangithaRAsika,
Good to hear from you after a long time--any new creations?

srutishree

Post by srutishree »

Some prayogaas to distinguish Reethigowlai ("RGL") from Anandabhairavi ("AB") and vice-versa:

1. NSGGM...... can be used in RGL but not in AB.

2. SGRGMPDPS, or SGRGMPNPS can be used in AB but not in RGL

3. The sequence
(lower octave) NSGGM.,
GMNNS.,
(higher octave) NSGGM

is very popular in RGL, but can never be used in AB.

4. GMPD..... (where the ending D is actually D1)

is an apoorva sangathi in AB, but is not used in RGL. However I've heard it used fleetingly in the RGL ata-taala varnam.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

srutishree wrote:Some prayogaas to distinguish Reethigowlai ("RGL") from Anandabhairavi ("AB") and vice-versa:

1. NSGGM...... can be used in RGL but not in AB.
Though the phrase NNSSGGMPMGGM... appears in "Marivere gathi" (AB, SS) in the mukthayi with much emphasis and elan, the two phrases in RGL and AB use different G. Is this correct?

-Then Paanan

srutishree

Post by srutishree »

Thenpaanan,

The G is the same in both cases. However, in AB, as you have mentioned, it is preceded by a flourish that starts from the lower Sa. If we analyse the G used in AB, the swara movement is actually SGSG (sung at a fast pace). However, in RGL, the G is blunt and "to the point", but split for the "gambheeram" effect. (Eg. NSGGM.....)

arunk

Post by arunk »

??? I thought in that particular phrase for marivere, the ga in GGM at the end is antara gandaram, but the first Ga (SS-GG) is sadharana gandaram.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 21 Jan 2008, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

vainika

Post by vainika »

arunk wrote:??? I thought in that particular phrase for marivere, the ga in GGM at the end is antara gandaram, but the first Ga (SS-GG) is sadharana gandaram.

Arum
Arun, that's right: though I recall some versions employ sAdhAraNa ga throughout.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks. I did not know that!

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

arasi wrote:SangithaRAsika,
Good to hear from you after a long time--any new creations?
Thanks Arasi. I have been long enough in this forum to know many of you (tho' not personally) and Yes its been sometime I posted anything here .. but I guess it might be SangitharasikaN or someone with a similar name you are refering too :)

When I created my user id I thought I would have it unique... but then forum has grown as well as the 'Rasikas' !! :o)

~SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Apparently Arasi mistook you for 'Sangeet Rasik' !
No harm done! He has already posted his new composition!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sorry, SangithaRasika! As CML pointed out, it was my mistaking you for the northern version of your name!