Music stores in the Mylapore area?

Concerts and other events related to CM.
gsn

Post by gsn »

Hi all!

Can people point me to a few good music stores in Mylapore? I am sure there are quite a few, but any that definitely warrant a visit for their collections?

Cheers,
G

ram

Post by ram »

Two in Mylapore that have a good collection:

1) AVM Sound Zone, TTK Road, Alwarpet - Just a few yards down the road while walking from Narada Gana Sabha towards The Music Academy. This is right next to Shankara Hall where I think a CD/Cassette sale is currently on

2) Giri Trading Company, Near Kapali Temple, Mylapore

gsn

Post by gsn »

Excellent!
Thanks,, Ram!
-G

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Giri Trading is really good from several points of view:
Big music collection
Good collection of musical books
Nice collection of religious books and pictures.

It is right outside kapAlISwara temple - so you get your mandir darSan done.
It is across from rAsi silks and beside rAsi gifts - so you can get those things taken care of as well
It is a stone's throw from the big Ambika depot - so you can stock up on appaLAms and other things that only Ambika sells...
And it is also close to Sri Vidya Stores - a fabulous place for manjaL, kumkum, tiri and pUja supplies....
And if you are interested in any dance supplies, Giri is right across from Shanti Stores.

SO, all in all, truly a one stop shop place!
Last edited by rshankar on 15 Dec 2007, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

do these stores accept credit cards - or is it strictly cash?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

NO - all of them accept credit cards (except maybe Sri Vidya stores) - so you can spulrge as much as you wish, and your priceless MasterCard moment will be when you finally get to enjoy your purchases!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The 'sale' at Shankara hall might be one of the best places during the season. I haven't visited Giri's brand-new shop yet: it looks very flash from the outside!

There used to be an old-and-dusty store in Eldams Road: now a Music World branch.

ram

Post by ram »

nick H wrote:There used to be an old-and-dusty store in Eldams Road: now a Music World branch.
Essen Musicals used to be the name. It was my favorite music store and I used to spend a lot of my time and significant portion of my salary there whenever I used to visit Chennai in the past. The Music World store that has replaced it doesn't even have 1/50th of the collection that Essen Musicals used to have :(

sbala

Post by sbala »

The Music World guy at Eldams Road refused to accept some gift coupons that I had, as it had passed the expiry date. It was worth 2k given as a token of "affection" by my ex-employer. Essen musicals was far superior in terms of collection and customer service.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yep... I'd have voted for old-and-dusty too!

(the girls that worked there were neither old, nor dusty...)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Landmark (there's one branch on Dr Radhakrishnana Street) carries CDS and occasionally prices are discounted during festive seasons. http://www.landmarkonthenet.com
Last edited by kmrasika on 16 Dec 2007, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.