How to select a good veena and vocal teacher?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
Amuda

Post by Amuda »

We know there are many good and bad teachers, especially in Chennai, but how to distinguish between the good ones and the bad ones?

What are the "control questions" (checklist?) that a potential student might ask of this potential teacher so as to check the teacher's teaching skills and proficiency?

I am asking this because a friend of mine who lives in Parrys (Sowcarpet) in Chennai wants to find a good veena and vocal teacher.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I don't think interviewing the teacher is a good approach. The best way is to get recommendations from others and also if possible to listen to performances of the teacher's students.

sp2003

Post by sp2003 »

This is an interesting question as I have an experience of learning badly rendered krithis as a kid. I would recommend attending/listening to concerts of the artist. A simple research about the lineage, pronunciation skills and rendering skills would shed some light on one's confidence. And the most important aspect of learning is to trust the teacher!!
I personally like originality of renderings/lessons....

View on message below by chalanata
Yes inclination is very much the dogma or learning anything in life. But it is the ethical consideration of how elders make decisions which mainly seems to rule who gets what these days!
Interesting say about capital gain....but isn't this the trend used to filter out the more inclined students? [of course I am talking about this in the ideal {reasonable} world].
Last edited by sp2003 on 04 Dec 2007, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

it depends more on the learner's inclination to music. teachers come and go; learning goes on eternally. this is not only applicable to music but to entire life!
i would consider him the best if the teacher does not try to quote 'guru bhakthi' and make a capital out of it.
the methods are most important. the basic lessons in alankara as a prelude to teaching any raga or a song would help to a great extent.
attainment of swara gnana is one important mile stone in the learning process and this is an indication of good tutelege.