Help Pls. Can I learn Carnatic music

To teach and learn Indian classical music
josedas

Post by josedas »

Respected masters,
I am 32 year old. I have joined CM classes 2 month back. Completed the basic swaras by now and started geethams. I can sing film songs reasonably well and can render the sangathis' comfortably. I am learning CM to have a strong base for light/film music.
I have a few questions.
I am learning CM as a base for light music. Is there anything wrong with this approach.
I attend two classes a week. On an average how many months (or years) it takes have strong foundation of CM(upto kirtanas).
How many varnams, krithis one needs to learn. My teacher says he only knows two varnams. Is this enough.
Is I am too old to have an ambition to become a professional singer.
Your guidance and advices will be most valuable.
Last edited by josedas on 28 Oct 2007, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I feel that learning Carnatic music is a good base for any kind of Indian music. The older film music songs were very much based on Carnatic ragas but this is changing a little as Western music styles like rap are introduced.

One can never learn too few varnams and krithis. I would recommend learning at least 10 varnams before moving on to krithis. For major ragas (like Thodi, Sankarabharanam, etc) one should aim to learn around 10 krithis in each.

arasi

Post by arasi »

And it is never too late to learn anything...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I echo the suggestions of Arasi and Mohan.

Also, given that josedas's objective of learning CM is to have a good base for singing film/light music, I am curious what aspects of learning CM will help. For one thing, there is probably not many music teachers ( CM or otherwise ) who will teach to sing film music ;), so CM teachers may be the obvious choice.

So, is the learning of CM to provide basic swara based singing instead of repeating a melody without really knowing what is going on ( which most people can do to varying levels of sophistication )? To develop voice culture? In film/light music, one would expect the gamakam to be not to the extent of real CM even for songs based on CM ragas, so there will have to be some adjustment. I am just drilling down a bit so the poster gets some useful and practical suggesions.

I have read in an interview of a famous CM musician ( I forget who now ) that quite a few females learnt CM from that musician for the express purpose of trying out for singing film music or for some opportunity in the film music business ( main singer, chorus singers etc. ).

Even if one does not sing in actual movies ( which is a very low % success, the number of film playback singers is very small ), these days there are other avenues in the film music/light music side of things outside the film industry itself like film music singing band, corporate gigs etc.

Don't quit your day job yet :)

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo josedas
Your innate desire to learn CM is quite laudable.besides endorsing the suggestions given by Sri.Mohan and Smt.Arasi, Mrs.vasantha kokilam, I would like to stress that you should constantly listen good concerts of vidwans and vidushis and try to grasp and sort out the salient features of good concerts and try to assimilate them with involvement and dedication.You should not resort to hurried learning for the sake of singing film music as is done by some youngsters of to day .You will attain prowess gradually in light music too.After all MUSIC (CARNATIC MUSIC) is divine fine art.
The final line of suggestion by Vasanthakokilam , not to "quit the day job yet " is to be strictly adheard to.
May god Bless you with redoubled musical vigour and shower upon u HIS Grace for success in ur divine pursuit
Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 28 Oct 2007, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

dear josedas,
there is a member in the forum who is an ocean of knowledge and an excellent human being. his name is sri.mallikarjuna sharma and he lives in hydrabad. if you can learn from him nothing like it and you do not have to look back.
All the best.

josedas

Post by josedas »

Dear All,
Thank you, chalanatha, vasanthakokilam, vageyakara, arasi, mohan, all for your valuable inputs.
I am so happy to say, I have completd 7 geethams so far and into swarajathi no.-2.
Apart from my regular teacher, Dr. Sivakumar Kalyanaraman's online classes are most helpful.
His simple way of teaching and empasis on key areas like singing in 'akaram' really made a big improvement in my learning.
I think it is the best classes avlbl on the net, and for totally free. Hats off to his generosity and kindness.
Jose