Song with only 3 swaras - Take a look

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

I came across this clip of Ilayaraja where he sings a song that has ony 3 notes ( s, r and g)

Quite intresting. Take a look! The video is embedded in the blog post.

http://hitxp.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/a ... ilayaraja/

-Ramakriya

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I have seen this before, quite interesting. Actually this is what led me to the thinking about 4 quadrants of notes ( instead of just purvanga and uttaranga ) since he uses the higher octave sa, ri, ga to take away the monotony. Also he uses the single and dual voices and chorus to color the same swaras to good effect.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

And also, the background music has other notes - But to Ilayaraja's credit, even without the background score, it is quite nice.

-Ramakriya

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks Ramakriya, This was truly excellent.

vasanthakokilam

cienu refered to this thread from the BMK concert thread which reminded me to post this. This Ilayaraja piece was in my mind a few months back. At that time I happened to hear a film music song whose starting sequence caught my attention. I started playing around with that. Then for some crazy reason I decided to experiment with just SA RI and Ga like Ilayaraja did. Here is the result of that effort.

http://boomp3.com/listen/c1164b6xu_r/fi ... y-sa-ri-ga#

The initial and final sequence uses more than SA, RI and GA but the middle is only SA RI and GA. ( atleast that is how I remember now )

Comments are welcome. You can also try to guess which tamil film song was the inspiration for the start and the end.( relatively recent, probably in the past 10 years or less ). Don't look for exact similarity.... :)

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

vasanthakokilam. whatever link you have given in boomp3 does not have a play button. unfinished link..?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Nice attempt VK; but my ears were waiting for the panchamam and daivatam of mohanam(pazhakka dosham)

vasanthakokilam

The one time I tried, it took a few seconds for the play gadget to appear. Also, it is possible that boomp3 does not work on all browsers.

Here is the direct download link. Thanks.

http://rapidshare.com/files/146039075/F ... a.mp3.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

vK congratulations for reviving the vasantakOkiladhvani :)
Is this a new version or the repost of the old one? I have stashed the old one somewhere!
I can vouch that it is S R2 G3 essentially at 2 kaTTai...
Did you try introducing gamakam as we originally discussed?

vasanthakokilam

This is the same as the one you already heard. BTW, this is not vasantakOkiladhvani, that is a whole different experiment :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes! I now realize :)
Let us dub this 'MuraLi' :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

VK,

Very nice experiment!

The intro was catchy - just a fewe swaras different from one of my favorite fusion pieces from Mynta, but then, I read your note and realized that the 'experiment' started after the intro! :P

Regarding the 3 swara passages, they were nice, but I felt that they became repetitive eventually. Regarding the gamakas, in a 3- swara rAga, I assume that the microtones of the gamakas can not stray beyond the upper bound of g and lower bound of s, right? Or can you? And if you can, can you go upto the m?

vasanthakokilam

Ravi: Yes, the intro was a variation on the intro to that yet unnamed film song. I did learn something from that which I will write about once the film song is identified or we time out!!

I agree it gets quite repetitive. One person I sent this to liked it and put it as hold music for his conference bridge. Someone commented that if you are on hold on the bridge for a while, this keeps repeating so we need a longer piece. My response was: Well, you do not even need to repeat the whole thing for it to sound repetitive ;)

The gamakam issue that CML refers to was actually in the context of vasantakOkiladhvani . We will set that aside for now.

Gamakams on the SA, RI, GA thing are within the bounds of those swaras in this case. and not anything above or below. Not that I tried to follow any rules but it turned out to be that way ( subject to others validating that is how it is after listening).

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

VK: That was very enjoyable! I tried introducing gamakas, as in:

Sr sgrg srs rr gg rgrRs

rgg srr grgs rs grR grrs

and discovered a distinct Mohanam flavor - what am I missing? and how is vasantakokiladhwani supposed to be sung - with or without karvais?

vasanthakokilam

Nandagopal: Sorry for the confusion. There are two things going on here.

A while back in the Sangeetha Kalalaya forum we were active with identifying swaras etc. An outgrowth of that were some experiments out of which was born vasanthakokiladhwani. It was in the context of 4 quadrant Aro/Ava experiment.

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3666&p=5 starting at post 101 was the question posed

and

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3675&p=17 , starting post 419 where the discussion started.

Arasi named it vasathakokiladhwani. Originally it was

Aro: S G3 P R2' S`
avaro S` P G N2` S

Arun provided the valuable input and it got modified to

Arohanam: S G3 P N2 R2' S '
Avarohanam: S' P G R N`S

In that context, in some of the audio samples we played with CML felt that we need to work on gamakams for this raga.

The various audio samples in the above threads have probably expired now. They can be uploaded again if there is interest. CML had a hand with his midi instrument and Suji had a varnam composed in this raga.

Others who participated in those Learning threads can fill in the details.

The piece above with SA RI GA is separate. Hope this clarifies things.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ha! The good old days!
Also interested folks look at
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3675&p=18
post #447 for the charactarization of vasnatakokildhvani.
Compositions and attemts at singing are welcome!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover wrote:Ha! The good old days!
Also interested folks look at
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3675&p=18
post #447 for the charactarization of vasnatakokildhvani.
Compositions and attemts at singing are welcome!
oh! the good old days
and my varnam...

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=62921#p62921

VK nice one on SRG..
Last edited by Suji Ram on 19 Sep 2008, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
You did a great job, I remember. I wanted to hear your playing again, but when I click on the link which you have right here, it doesn't work...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arasi wrote:Suji,
You did a great job, I remember. I wanted to hear your playing again, but when I click on the link which you have right here, it doesn't work...
I have given the correct link now
I 'll reload it again sometimes soon. I made couple of changes. I'll play again and post.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 19 Sep 2008, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

VK: Many thanks for the clarification and links to previous discussions

Suji: Look forward to hearing your varnam in vasantakokiladhwani, thanks

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Suji
Do add the sahityam too, if it is ready!