T.M Krishna @ Indian Octaves Dallas - Lewisville Grand Theatre - Apr 14, 2024

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

T.M Krishna @ Indian Octaves Dallas - Lewisville Grand Theatre - Apr 14, 2024

Post by shankarank »

Vid. T.M Krishna - Vocal
Vid. H.N Bhaskar - Violin
Vid. B. Sivaraman - Mridangam

@rajeshnat - didn't want to disappoint you. for reviews. Anyways how can I miss TKM school Mridangam on the latter's centenary ;) . So I went!

May have missed an initial one ?

SrI Kumara nagarAlayE - SrI svAti tiruNAL - Adi - aTANA. I went in when neraval was proceeding in slow pace @ manda hAsa ruci ninditEndu. CoTTa coTTA aTANA, flinging the glides and slides up and down, roller coaster of melody.

Sri Ranjani tAnam

and replies by HNB. aga-aga-aga staccato taNam. HNB's reply was equally harsh - on the same rAgA. Never thought tAnam is so harsh. Did SSI do like this? I forget - from tapes I mean! TNS ones that I have attended personally were not so harsh.

BhuvinidAsuDanE . The Music Academy certified gravitas selection :D . BhuvinidAsuDanE pAuDuTTa Ramnad Krishnan Gravitas vanduDumOnO! :lol:

It was a balanced kAlapramaNam similar to padavini @ Laya Madhura. Not too fast , not too slow. As he finished pallavi, he signalled Sivaraman : "pOdu" , meaning "give an effective muttaippu to eDuppu" and Sivaraman did not dissappoint. tha,thi,ki,Ta,(thathikiTatom) - total 7 thrice from 1 mAtra offset to arudhi ( 15 + 6 for desAdi Eduppu) - true in TKM style.

WHen he started to dwell on pAlamunci after finishing kriti , thought he was going to do Neraval. But switched to svaras @padamulE gati. TMK 1.0 in action and some of the svarAs ending at nI padamulE gati, elicited an "mmm" from me. If he heard it , he would have known that the usual mAmAs from 1.0 era are around. :D . For this was mostly an all-telugu affair with sprinkle of tambrams like me not cancelling him.

Sivaraman ended with a nice tIRmAnam - reducing from a pattern thrice and finally 1-1-1 dhin-dhin-dhin.

Bahudaari Alapanai - he started with da-nI.... and did a little teaser. As you will see the concert was high on D2-N2 combination dissonant pair. But being Bahudaari some remediation was available with notes missing.

Bhaskar replied on the same rAga ( for a TMK concert this needs mentioned! Cannot go without being said)

Both tried to Juice pizhinjufy the rAgam like the Cane sugar grinder. Trying to see if new something comes out of repeat executions. Falling into pancamam via slightly different routes.

anbE jIvAdhAram - Adi - SrI Spencer VenugOpal in BahudAri ( I have to say the rAgam again as well ;) ).

nATTAi rAgam
When he began nATTai elongating vaguely the D3N3 , I initially thought D2N2 was not ending and it was going to be some kind of 72-cakra hopping with D-N held constant. Then he clarified it was nATTai. a Short one.

Hamir KalyANi - OK now this turned into a rAgAlApana mAlika or ragamalikAlApana.
This was best part of the concert with a brilliant reply by HNB

Thought he would begin venkaTa Saila or something like kanaka vasanadhara, which would have been nice.

<<Added/Missed in initial Post>> : TMK sang a nice Paras Alapana.

Then HNB started replying in :

SAvERI - reply by HNB.

Then TMK had a word with SivarAman and said , he was going to sing another rAgAm, but there is a request from the Mridangam artist.

Durusuga - SrI SyAma SAstri - Adi. Svarams @ Ipudu durusuga

Expected tani , but no! Wait.

khamAs A short Alapana.

mAte malayadvaja - daru vaRNam by Dr. HMB. - Adi tALam in khamas.
Some special touch in MagiUra nAta.

For the muktAyE Svaram , he executed 2nd kAlAm and the TMK 1.0 came alive briefly and elicited the 1.0 era applause.

tani avartanam by Sivaraman. STarted with SrI Dakshinamurthy Pillai's kORvai based on that-tha-ku-dhinta-tom sollukaTTu. It has a tantalizing 5 akshara kArvai that seperates the phrase repetitions. For the last 2nd kAlam , he fell short for the third execution of the phrase and he took that again to finish it.

tAni had triSram, miSram, khAnDam naDai variations. in MiSra nadai he had punchy intersperse of tadhina-dhinatakiTa 3+8 type sollus to add syncopating overlays. All poDI sollus of TKM staple overflowing everywhere.

Final kORvai was in triSra naDai.

OK, the khamas of Kutcheri era of TMK 1.0 done, it is now the turn of TMK 2.0 version of khamaaz or khamaJ

Janaro I mOgamu (https://www.karnatik.com/c16279.shtml) - jAvALi in KhamAs

coTTa coTTa khamas - done as a Chamber style art-music rendition without Mridangam accompaniment, with tALam free flow. AyyO!

Mohana KalyAni rAgam by HNB.

veTTA veLIyil ciTTU parakkudu - PerumAl Murugan - set in rUPakam

varE PAnDuranga - abhang in mAND - Sant tukkArAm

3 more items will add with edits.

Additions on Edits:
paramArtam raccu (words??) - viruttam - Sri NArayaNa guru composition.

karaharapriya - a rAga suitable for viruttam? Some sections sound nice, but he then quickly switched to:

varALi - this one brightened up and you could hear AhA from Audience. iDu rAgam :D

behAG

ending with a song in khaNDa cApu in yaman kalyANi

He made a short speech explaining Sri Narayana guru's viruttam lines: He asks God: are you krishna the charioteer, or BhashyakAra Sri Adi Shankara, or Jesus Christ or the Prophet of Islam.

tatva jIvatvam - kIrvanANi - Adi

Speeches and memento presentations to artists,

Then he asked if every body had 5 more minutes.

Concluded with :

vanDE mInAkShi noTTusvaram of Sri dIkshitar - Adi

shankarank

Re: T.M Krishna @ Indian Octaves Dallas - Lewisville Grand Theatre - Apr 14, 2024

Post by shankarank »

Updated with Edits - the last 3 items and one missing rAgAm in the multi rAgA Alpana

ram1999

Re: T.M Krishna @ Indian Octaves Dallas - Lewisville Grand Theatre - Apr 14, 2024

Post by ram1999 »

OMG a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggggg review like javvu akin to the raga alapana / music of Krishna .

on one side Abhishek sings at rocket speed

and on the other krisna sings at snail speed

both tiring !!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

You also should have noticed , it violated usual "formats" just like the concert itself ;)