Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

sivakami

Re: sangitha kalanidhi 2024

Post by sivakami »

Yes I too saw in Facebook..

dhanurasi

Post by dhanurasi »

All could see it coming when this declared atheist who called Thyagaraja's bakti as all bumpkin was invited by Music Academy to do 'Thyagaraja Aradhana' this year. One may or may not like TMK's music. Personally, I don't think his music is anywhere near great. But, after his open agenda loaded insults to the tradition, peers, and sentiments, this is more than a surrender.

It seems that the Music Academy is now run like a Proprietorship biz by N Ram cronies led by his defeated (in the board) brother Murali. It was hilarious when Murali spoke about lack of press freedom in the country in a public meeting a few months ago.

But, there is another way to look at it.

Love this Periyar Mann. Dreams of Periyar is getting realized. The conquest of the last bastion. Vazhga Thalapathi. Vazhga Chinnavar.

The so called experts & members of committees are lazy Parpaans and Pappathis. They are just english speaking slaves who acquired a PhD in some 'sampradaya' research after realizing that they were just failed musicians. They found their relevance in a committee. It is too scary to lose it because, the money bags may not take lightly to any original opinion.
Last edited by dhanurasi on 17 Mar 2024, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

MA says conferring the award to TMK.. "adherence to tradition........"

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

What is the criteria for giving SKs

1) He did not have to sing in MA for any season.
2) He can include any body's composition in to the concert
3) He can go to Vatican and give a concert.
4) He can get up middle of the concert and go and make rasikas perplexed
5) He can sing songs in any order.
6) Half the concert, he can ask the accompanists to play.
7) He can write/talk ill of famous torch-bearers of carnatic music

I have my reservations on TMK. But, all the best to him.

We have plenty of eligible SKs naming Vijay siva, Ra ga, Malladi Brothers, even K.Gayathri and Ramakrishnan murthy. Instruments, Nagai Muralidharan, RK Sriram kumar etc., We also discussed at length about missing SKs, who deserved and no more now.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

https://grsastrigal.blogspot.com/2019/01/tm.html

7th Jan 2019 - My write up in Tamil about TMK. For casual reading

sam

Post by sam »

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Did MA ditch the tunes for a bullhorn? When did "social activism" become their new anthem? Love it or hate it, Academy's SK pick this year is a true curveball... They picked a candidate who, shall we say, wasn't exactly singing their praises beforehand. Bravo, MA!

srutishree91

Sangitha Kalanidhi 2024 to tmk

Post by srutishree91 »

Marks a new low for the MA. A deplorable and laughable decision, even by the MA's abysmal standards.

sam

Post by sam »

The so called experts & members of committees are lazy Parpaans and Pappathis. They are just english speaking slaves who acquired a PhD in some 'sampradaya' research
Not so. Harsh racist language. Avoid please.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

It would be an interesting run up to the season and an interesting season of debates - I hope. All of rasikas can place their point of views. Lets not brandish terms like atheist. Such terms from the anglo-dictionary don't make any sense as a characterization of a "third" person, within the Indian body of thought.

There is an infliction of a violence of "the language" that we are all subjected to.

As regards his issues of sectarianism and the music restricted to one community: Here is the rejoinder to that from Tavil Vidvan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVsCsPg3tDA.

Remember - the tavil vidvan is officially not a musician and what he produces is officially not music per a musicologist's wisdom. Could we at least take this wisdom today, from the non-musician?

And about dance this sums it up: Dr Muthulakshmi Reddy asking SrI Sathyamurthy , will you get your girls to dance? https://youtu.be/BJtG1OJaxBk?t=3557

On a similar vein , recently an interviewer asks a political party member : Are Kamaraj and Muthuramalinga Thevar being locked up in their "jAti" domains? In other words are they encircled and reduced to their Caste identity? The party member responds nicely: "No, if at all, it is their "jAti" that has preserved and takes their memories forward! Whilst the mainstream political ideology reveres their anti-national and vitriolic persons as leaders" அவர்களின் ஜாதிக்காரன் தான் அவர்களின் நினைவை விடாமல் கடத்திச் செல்கிறான்!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I welcome the SK award being conferred on TMK for the following reasons:

Much as I contest all the political stances of TMK, he is indeed a great singer.
1.Best voice in CM among men in the past 50 years.
2. The best teachers - Sitarama Sharma (Kalakshetra fame) and Semmangudi himself!
3. Extremely intelligent guy who has absorbed all the repertoire of the greats esp. MSS. Brings a new dimension to Dikshitar kritis.
4. Sings with GREAT energy for hours on end.
5. Superb manodharma especially in the true blue Carnatic ragas.
6. Rarely out of shruti.
7. Is worshipped by the best accompanists who say he brings out the best in them.
8. Manodharma especially Tanam is at a different level.

Please see the movie Margazhi Ragam. It features a concert by Bombay Jayashri and TMK (streams on Apple TV for ₹50). You will know what I mean.

These are my opinions.

When TMK sings Gopalakrishnan Gandhi or Perumal Murugan songs, or on Allah etc., my mind switches off. When I hear his Narayana Guru songs, I can see Guru connecting with Sanatana Dharma in toto.

Every concert of TMK I have attended has many Wow moments. Memorable creativity and soundscape.

I think SK is not a title of any value beyond the area of CM.

The way MA (Murali) has justified in the press release their choice of TMK for the award, it is quite clear TMK ticks all their boxes this year. This is thus no reflection on anyone else's claim.

Let's be honest. ALL AWARDS are subjective and based on some tick boxes. That way, nothing any man does is totally divine. We therefore must take all this in our stride.

Best wishes to TMK. In a seminar in Blr, Dr. Nagaswamy said, "he sings well. Let him be. If any correction in his thinking is warranted, Bhagavan will take care of it."

dhanurasi

Post by dhanurasi »

sam wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 08:37
The so called experts & members of committees are lazy Parpaans and Pappathis. They are just english speaking slaves who acquired a PhD in some 'sampradaya' research
Not so. Harsh racist language. Avoid please.
Not me. If you know a little bit of Tamilnadu, you shouldn't even react to this. It is Periyar. That "Sindhikka Sonna Periyar". Hope you heard the song "Sindhikka sonnavar Periyar' rendered and promoted byTMK.

This is is the least offensive part of the language that 'Periyar', and his followers have normalized in the discourse,

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Not sure if TMK's MA SK concert will start with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (recently sung by TV Ramaprasad which has become viral in YT) in the form of a Varnam, Bha bha BlackSheep in ragamalika viruttam and Just Beat It - Mangalam in Surati amongst other Thayagaraja / MD / SS kritis with a karaharapriya raga alapana, kedaragowla kriti and ahiri swaras and the likes ...
Good luck to the Kamalhassan of Carnatic Music !
Perhaps the most hyped up musician (thanks to the TTK family background and his activist attitude to gain fame !!

Surely he is good singer without any doubt - music of 90s and early 2000 which I liked!!
Last edited by ram1999 on 18 Mar 2024, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

srutishree91

Sangitha Kalanidhi 2024 to tmk

Post by srutishree91 »

To quote Sri Shankarank ---

"It would be an interesting run up to the season and an interesting season of debates - I hope. All of rasikas can place their point of views. Lets not brandish terms like atheist. Such terms from the anglo-dictionary don't make any sense as a characterization of a "third" person, within the Indian body of thought.

There is an infliction of a violence of "the language" that we are all subjected to."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sri Shankarank's post takes a rational, objective, view but IMHO, misses the point of this discussion.

The MA's decision was, no doubt, arrived at after due deliberation by the mandarins. Acceptable social behaviour was not perhaps among the key criteria

TMK is an accomplished vocalist, no doubt. But there are other, more deserving artistes -- Malladi Bros, Ramakrishnan Murthy, RK Shriramkumar, Akkarai Subhalakshmi, Vijay Siva, etc. come to mind -- these vidvans are every bit as accomplished as TMK. They have, unlike him, devoted themselves to Carnatic music exclusively, without the wokeist anti-establishment, anti-Brahmin, anti-tradition rants which TMK has used to probably ingratiate himself with the political powers-that-be in TN.

The MA has not exactly covered itself in glory with this quirky decision, but given its arrogance and disconnect from the common rasika, and its obsession with political correctness, we will probably see a DMK/ADMK/DK functionary being conferred the SK in 2025 !

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

We are giving too much weightage to the institution. To the extent that it is a dominant symbol and brand name, that is somewhat natural and agreeable. The institution itself does not have any legitimacy or does not add any in matters deeply musical. It is after all a facilitator that replaced the erstwhile samasthanams and kings. A need of the human society of limitations.

Lets remember the old tamizh sangam story of a King honoring a poet , tired from his travel to the King's place and not finding the king, who slept on the "cot of justice or cot of the monarchy" ( nIdhikkaTTIl or arasukkaTTil). Before thrones were in vogue, it seems the old tamizh King simply sat on a cot. It would have otherwise attracted death penalty.

The poet gets legitimacy and honor not from the monarchy, rather from his own learning parampara lineage. Hence the stage is a "sarasvati pITham".

It is not right to use the social or public standing of the institution then force resolutions or opinions on music to people at large. When a musician occupies the stage , they rest on the evidence or backing of their parampara.

Awards are all just the needs of propaganda of any human society, here the term used in a neutral way, not pejoratively.

We say music is universal, but we only understand it in a limited sense of "her" cutting across "human" divisions! In fact nay sayers will argue, "she" has not achieved that and there is no evidence of it.

The real universalism is spelt out in nArada Bhakti sUtram : Shadjam mayURO vadati. "The peacock sings the Shadja svara". It is beyond humans as well!

Grammar and rules are to transport the knowlegde system to the next generation, that is all. In the MA stage , due to it's history, musicians may stick to emphasize "grammar" heavy music. That is then balanced by them doing other things elsewhere.

Your fears of some of those you mentioned getting SK in 2025 are ill founded.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Congratulations to TM Krishna if i see it as a wholesome award as compared to lifetime achievement award .

1. WHen I started to hear him from 2000 to 2012 or so , i liked him more . His recent dramas with shuffling , abandoning the krithi half way are all incompetencies cloaked at times as it takes a lot of time to sing the whole thing as it involves tremendous energy. HIs repertoire to include modern social themes are fine but as such his key stock of krithis are only limited .

2.Way back when i released two pdfs comparing music academy slots i did find that TMK only sang for just one year afternoon slot and got directly an evening slot .or was it a direct noon to evening slot . This informtation is bit hazy to me , all said the power center picked him up as the next semmangudi GNB way back in late 1990s or 2000. I remember when there was this Srilanka episode of prabhakaran getting killed , he had 3 reviews in six weeks in the Friday review . One is he telling with some writer in the Hindu that he is going to Srilanka after MLV and having a huge writeup, then a bit later his concert review in Lanka with krithis ,then immediately he writing about his own experience in Lanka . Friday Review could have been called tmk.blogspot.com for many years - he was surely THe HIndu blue eyed boy.

3. On his music He sang so well once in SKGS tatvam jeevatmam in keeravani , once shri dakshinamoorthe , one inta sowkhyame ,once a lovely taanam in kedaragowlai , once a mmg ragam meru samAna, swarajathis of Shyama sastri, all of this were grand , i wish he had continued to do that . Also some lovely shorter tukkadas irakkam varamal which is one of the chits i passed to him was superb. ONce i asked him RTP in arusuvai sabha in Egmore near dasaprakash , there were very few in audience he asked me an alternative of RTP i asked him maulav ganga the slokham that semmangudi sings , he sang beautifullly. All said he was once my top 5 not any more one reason is he decides not to sing in chennai sabha during season , that is a suicidal decision.

4. Among his books , i am pretty sure all his big big books was co written by many ghost writers who are all part of sruthi magzine is what i heard from an elderly gentleman and few others . That does not mean he cannot write , i remember he once told he hardly has time to read and write but how can he write a 1000 page book in a year plus.

5. All said i remember telling when Sanjay was awarded even before A kanyakumari . Now looking at the last few years of SK , one of them hardly sing and consistently sags, one person is more a lecdem , then another is a bhajan like singer , It is evident few lost SK due to metoo exclusion .Considering all of that, TMK is a real deep classical singer and he deserves SK

6. He disrespecting MS amma , PMI mrudangam etc and most importantly questions a lot about THe Hindu Religion etc is all because he is the blue eyed boy of The Hindu, as such he has power.

7.Lot of co artists love him for his transparency and his open ness is what i heard . I believe he was a nice person in also giving fairly good renumeration to coartists is what i heard

8. i personally went to his janaki college where he championed with few of them and spoke about metoo and i did ask a question. He taking a stand to help metoo victims is indeed great and there was no political drama , he genuninely helped.

Overall if we consider points 1,3, 7 and 8 he certainly deserves this award . I am assuming he will sing this year in december season 2024. Like this nayagan movie TMK is kind of nallavana kettavana theriyalaye Paa is always applicable

All said let him bring that 2000 to 2012 form post his SK. BEst wishes and congratulations to TM Krishna

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh, very well said.
Nallavana Kettavana...
Let TMK decide first 😂

sais72

Post by sais72 »

I was looking to this erudite forum to provide some musical insights into TMK's music but sadly this is turning into one more rehash of people's likes and dislikes of him and mostly about off the stage stuff. Request a few of you to critique his music - alapanas, taanams, neraval, choice of ragas, improvisation, etc... Also, i do not have too much of a disagreement with several of his views on music and other matters.

I listen to about 100 live concerts a year and TMK is easily among the top of those that have provided plentiful moments of joy, wonder, hope, magic and food for thought in the last 2 decades. His todi swarajathi, mukhari muripemu, brindavana saranga rangapura vihara, karahara priya janakipathe, bilahari paripovalera are some examples of stand out renderings for me. He has a wonderful voice, an innate sense of the carnatic idiom (his choice of ragas for me is top class among the top performing musicians, taanam, neraval), fantastic control of kalapramanan, his ability to pause, absorb and reflect on music as it is produced on the stage and getting the best out of a large number of accomplished co-artists stand out for me.

Congratulations for a well deserved recognition.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

One other aspect: his abilities as a teacher.

They may be judged by their results, which In my humble ;) opinion, are wonderful.

Personally, I missed out for quite a while because I listened to what other people said about him, rather than listening to him sing. When I eventually did, I loved it.

Heart-felt congratulations to TMK!

sam

Post by sam »

It would have been better if he declined the award, from MA which he dislikes and has attacked .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sais72 wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 23:58 I was looking to this erudite forum to provide some musical insights into TMK's music but sadly this is turning into one more rehash of people's likes and dislikes of him and mostly about off the stage stuff.
If people (Mr. MadrasMobile in particular) and TMK himself indirectly, could say Smt. MSS is finally remembered only for Bhajans, what is wrong in suggesting, TMK will be remembered only for his views and opinions :D

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sam wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 06:53 It would have been better if he declined the award, from MA which he dislikes and has attacked .
I think he disliked the whole rat race of Dec Season . Also do remember for many years when season is on at chennai, he got exclusive concerts set up in Mumbai , Bengaluru etc as such he had his own marketing mileage . MA will keep it completely as secret and if at all he wanted to decline that will not be post facto after all awards are reputation for institutions.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

On a side note , personally Sanjay , TMK are really top stars say before the era of Abhishek Raghuram had started when i started hearing from 2001 onwards usual talk is only this two and the buzz was primarily with this two. Thank God we had sangeetham and rasikas.org . For me there is atleast two other great stars in tha chennai TN domicile bracket era of Sanjay and TMK too who are actively singing and competing with half a generation later artists like Abhishek, that is VijaySIva and Suryaprakash for sure. VijaySiva will surely get it is my guess and Suryaprakash if he lives longer, he will get it as he appears quite connection less .Few metooed stars were and are will be excluded , it is a huge reputation risk to give the metooed artists

All said in my opinion considering the filter of only vocalist , I think not giving senior artists is truly condescending and giving to L boards of 1980s like TMK is truly condescending. For me the top choice of SK is Maharajapuram Ramachandran, he is singing exceptionally well from 1970s though he bloomed a bit later as he was in the shadow of a supernova father, what a joy he must be in the league of jambhavan greats like say TVS and TNS of 2010 plus time frame, he is the torch bearer of performance music - not lecdem or talking or bhajanish artists . Who knows may be 2028 when santhanam has his centenary,he may get it. Why they are not considering at all is puzzling me, I am assuming he is not anti establishment like Karaikudi Mani ? I hope Shri Maharajapuram Ramachandran gets it in the next 1 to 5 years. Maharajapuram Ramachandran sir is truly an intense classical rocking star who has put roughly put 50 plus years of singing .

On a very interesting data point , people say MDR, Somu, Ramnadkrishnan etc were all big misses. but they died before 60 70 or below. i will give some slack there for academy . But they not giving to one and only great star like TRS is the biggest miss who lived upto 84. People mistaken say TRS thesis is the reason, but actually post thesis they gave sangeetha kala acharya but not sangeetha kalanidhi, that only means some one in those years did not champion , no one did it for the great TRS mama. Infact for his thesis , Logically TRS should have not been given SKA but for his music he must be given SK ,So as such without TRS getting Sangeetha kalanidhi in my viewpoint MA has lost their brand value. I distinctly remember 2002 when Vidushi kalpagam swaminathan and TRS mama got Sangeetha kala acharya and Sikkil sisters got SK , not that i am against the sikkil sisters award , deep down i think if there was a new award titled "kalanidhi among sangeetha kalanidhis" ,Taala Raaga Swaropan should have got it before 2013 when he passed away at the age of 84.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 19 Mar 2024, 16:06, edited 2 times in total.

sam

Post by sam »

Puzzling. Why did MA ask TMK to Thyagaraja festival? Would like to know
of some talented musicians who specialised in Thyagaraja krutis.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Was the Thyagaraja Aradhana concert of TMK in MA 2024 livecast? Recorded? At a minimum, after announcing the SK award, MA should publish the concert in its entirety. It may lighten the mood, sweeten the air, cool the room and draw some applause too.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sais72 wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 23:58 I listen to about 100 live concerts a year and TMK is easily among the top of those that have provided plentiful moments of joy, wonder, hope, magic and food for thought in the last 2 decades.
You are a treasure if you are attending 100 live concerts a year . I am assuming you are bangalore based, i see that based on your profile post history. Take your time to write concert reviews of not just TMK and you can cover others too... You can share your plentiful moments of joy,wonder etc.... Advance thanks...

I see a lot of negatives also of TMK like abandoning the krithi half way, his talam/layam grip is not great at all, he usually zones into few pockets of extreme excellence , in a concert they are in the descending trend for sure . I see immense marketing and extraordinary oho aha writeup for him for his edge cases , but can i compare with all round concert live excellence because of his musical discontinuity.

Personally i am ok with shuffling of songs but i am not ok with he abandoning the krithi and deserting it - lot of writers market his misses as ahA oHo excellence - marketing spread and more importantly continous drumming gives him more fresh face rasikas, for eg his writeups in The HIndu are not published in just Friday Review, it goes across india to all city publications which does not happen to any other musician.

I am pretty sure some Lucknow mulayam, ahmedabad patel , kolkata banerjee and ofcourse a new fresh face Mylapore Maragatham will attend his concert and most likely think he is the prime torch bearer of CM.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Unfortunate. Hope he declines the award.

TMK, be honest and decline the award. And please continue to sing Allah, Jesus and EVR songs.

https://swarajyamag.com/culture/intelle ... idhi-award

sam

Post by sam »

At a minimum, after announcing the SK award, MA should publish the concert in its entirety. It may lighten the mood, sweeten the air, cool the room and draw some applause too
Yes. Absolutely. They should. .
Just now came across the review.

good.
Last edited by sam on 19 Mar 2024, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Declining the award is not going to happen. He has already written about receiving it.

Again, I'm delighted. And given the size of his audiences, I know I am not alone. But MA will be very aware of other points of view, and of the toxicity of some of those views. Hoping they don't have to upgrade their boy-scout security team this season! LOL... Just joking.

sam

Post by sam »

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 895497.ece

T.M. Krishna’s Tyagaraja Aradhana concert sparkled with classicism
T.M. Krishna made a come back on the Music Academy stage with a special Tyagaraja Aradhana performance
March 05, 2024 11:38 am | Updated March

Some random fr..agments
Soon, high drama set in with ‘Chede buddhi maanura’ (O mind, give up the bad ways). Atana took on a stentorian countenance
Tyagaraja’s ‘Narayana Hari Narayana Hari’ in Yamuna Kalyani fell as gentle rain from heaven as the fleeting
concluded the concert, which was an immersion in the compositions laden with the bhakti rasa of the composer

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

This year Lecture Demonstration will have the following
Day 1
Inaugural speech V. Sriram - Topic "TM Krishna and his adherence to tradition"
Second speech by Sril Gopalakrishnan Gandhi- Special invitee- Topic "TMK, mahAtma of Carnatic Music"
Day 2 - T M Krishna "Na bhooto na bhavishyati" - by GR Sastrigal (Please come for this. Whenever I talk, my own family never listens. So, Please)
Day 3- Insight in to "bhakti pAvam (not bhavam) in Tirumal Murugan kritis by Vignesh Eswar
Day 4- TM Krishna - Why I like TMK's anubhoothi more than my Vibhoothi . By R.K. Sriram kumar
Day 5- Samarpanam to TMK - A new Musical Algoritham (MA) with Tisra Misra kAlapramanam (TMK) by Gr8 Mridhanga vidwan Arun prakash
DAy 6. Krithis on Non-Hindu Gods by TM Krishna- Demonstration by Sangeetha Sivakumar. Don't miss his new nava rAGa malika starting "Nitya jaya mangalam" instead of Valachi"
Day 7 - a "Niarvana" speech by sri. Rajeshnat on "whether TMK is nallavaraa or kettavara.
Day 8- How TMK conquered music for the past 50 years by Sri. Sachi
Day 9 - டீ எம் கிருஷ்ணா எழுதிய பாடல் தான் கீர்த்தனம், மற்றவை எல்லாம் போக்கிரித்தனம் - சுகி சிவம்

Last but not the least, this year, MA plans to award next year Sangeetha kalanidhi 2025 to Sangeetha Sivakumar, because of her immense contribution for the past 30 years in promoting Carnatic Music and made TM Krishna as a super Carnatic music star to get coveted KalAnidhi Award. Adding to that Music Academy always vouches for "nAri Shakthi"

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

It will be more like some abstract discourse to the "bespectacled with eyeglass-strapwear" kind of elite Mylaporeans, who waste no time without reading something!

enna sema stereo typingA? :lol:

He only wants to talk to the people like him you see! Change them to think about the marginalized out there! :D

sam

Post by sam »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 603078.cms
You have a responsibility to your art, to ask difficult questions | Chennai News - Times of India
An interview by TMK after the news of SK award

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

GRS
You have extra ordinary wit. For many years i thought I should not talk about TMK as good or bad, if any artist is in the limelight he/she wins. Your post will be used as a double edged sword for further marketing. Let me write for few more days if I like and take it to logical closure

You can add two more sessions
Day 10 - What did Amartya Sen understand about Southern Music thqt made him to write a review . Direct lecdem by SHri Amartya Sen

Day 11 - How did a book stall with hard copies of Southern Music come right at the 1st floor entrance in Music Academy in Dec 2013 (till then we only had in ground floor stalls)

p.s apologies i made a mention that the book is 1000 pages in a previous post but it is only 350 plus pages. But how did one person write in roughly a year , proof read and publish .

deepajyoti

Post by deepajyoti »

Back in 2019, after watching the very elegant and respectful comments of SK Aruna Sairam during the morning lec-dems, I had wondered how SK TMK - labeled CM-SJW (Social Justice Warrior) would conduct such proceedings-

For e.g., after a lec-dem on "Dance music of Kuchipudi"
CM-SJW - "Not withstanding the great innovation of the dance music, one cannot forget that women are considered incapable and males performed female roles. It is a sexist culture.. .."
Lec-Dem Artist - 🤔".. err.. it's over a century that women have danced Kuchipudi.. in fact, it is women who are donning male roles often.."
CM-SJW - (ignoring) "...a sexist art cannot be called art. It is all the fault of the patriarchy.. and umm. the government"

Now, let's consider a lec-dem on "Nagaswaram tradition in Temple utsavams"
CM-SJW - "All good music.. but why restrict nagaswaram players to play only devotional music.. they should be allowed to play anything.. for e.g., songs on skyscrapers, malls and lungis.."
Lec-Dem Artist - 🤔".. err.. we are talking about temple utsavams.."
CM-SJW - (ignoring) "...music is music.. don't put boundaries on it.. ..it's the poisonous Hindutva's fault..if not, we will hear even my porambokku song in temples.. and the Nagaswaram vidwans will wear lungi too rather than the Ramraj veshtis! "

Finally, a lec-dem on "DKP - the first lady of RTP "
CM-SJW - "So what if she was the first to sing RTPs on stage.. it's all brahmin patriarchy.. err.. not patriarchy.. I mean.. brahmin dominance.. she wouldn't have if she were not a brahmin"
Lec-Dem Artist - 🤔".. err.. what about her mentor Naina Pillai?..."
CM-SJW - (ignoring) "...male.. and brahmin dominance only...."

Shudder to think of 2024 Lec-dems! Who will be the intrepid lec-dem artists who will brave the attacks of the SJW-SK?! :lol:

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Just a thought
Some posts rebutting TMK and in general his views are welcome. He is always all over the place without tying the knot he keeps opening so many topics and hardly takes few things to closure for action(few things he has spoken so right and taken it to action- he surely is not empty words). If ever he invites few rasikas like VK ,CML, Lalitaram, mahavishnu ,Ranganayaki, srkris etal of our rasikas team and if he debates he will be finished in no time .

But he or the system picks his own chelas and his chamchas . I recently went to The HIndu Literature meet yearly meet in Chetpet in a hall , he kind of spoke well , much better than last time when i heard him there.

He generally takes some edge cases and glorifies as though it is a norm that is happening in CM .

But in all of this , the sorry state of affairs is at times it usually goes into a kind of slander where once when that happens ,TMK appears more right. Then again with it , he gets a new boat load of believers of his erroneous edge case glorification . With that temporary recurrent negative publicity there is a bit of stockholm syndrome effect for him. He usually gets new fresh faces who usually have good communication skills and will major in some journalism courses in left aligned institutions ,so more books and drumbeats will always come.

sam

Post by sam »

Just wondering. How come veteran concert goers and rviewers resident at chennai, missed the unique TMK concert at MA ..Thyagaraja utsavam? Perhaps they did and we are missing the review?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy7KRJY ... dmlra3U%3D

Poor Vikku Vinayakram falls prey to this guy's convoluted thought process !!!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Really stunned to see Ra Ga's decision. They may lose this award in future, like that happened to Sri.Vijay Siva. But it is really stunning..

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Feed this thread to a movie maker AI machine, we will get a parody Biopic on the cheap! Name it "Two" and it should be a block buster! At a minimum Much better than "One"

Crowd sourced creativity copy righted for rasikas.org - should help pay for the storage another millenium! :lol:

sam

Post by sam »

GREAT post by Ra.Ga in facebook.
Link given above.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

grsastrigal wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:32 Really stunned to see Ra Ga's decision. They may lose this award in future, like that happened to Sri.Vijay Siva. But it is really stunning..
Vijay siva lost out due to his own bullheadedness and stupidity. Academy made at least 5 attempts to reconcile, including mediation by a senior musician. He turned everything down. And if you know the trigger for his actions, you'd simply laugh out loud.
Lesson: learn to separate the artist from the human being, not just him, EVERYONE

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

As a Rasika attending the conference since 1963 an opinion and simple suggestion.
Guruvayur and VVS can wait for few more years. MA instead, can confer SK to CM promoters viz Nalli, Cleveland and few other South Madras Sabha secretaries to avoid controversies in future. If some Vidwans and Vidushi s not going to participate in the conference nothing is lost.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rupavathi wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 21:59
grsastrigal wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:32 Really stunned to see Ra Ga's decision. They may lose this award in future, like that happened to Sri.Vijay Siva. But it is really stunning..
Vijay siva lost out due to his own bullheadedness and stupidity. Academy made at least 5 attempts to reconcile, including mediation by a senior musician. He turned everything down. And if you know the trigger for his actions, you'd simply laugh out loud.
Lesson: learn to separate the artist from the human being, not just him, EVERYONE
If an artiste has not publicly spoken about it, at least we should give that much respect reciprocating the artiste's own respect for privacy of conversations with the institution. Here we should note that the artiste has respected the institution's privacy as well, not just guarding his own.

On the other hand, we are well within the fair domain to comment on anything said publicly!, especially on mainstream and social media.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

GRS,
Surely Raga will get SK . Please understand the institution will never run the flak of reputation risk of not awarding artists that too with they having got a lot of yogam nagaswamy awards .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Kudos for Ranjani Gayatri sisters in writing with such clarity and coming with extreme boldness and courage . They are clearly respecting the art and not succumbed to so called leftist - anti Hindu power center. Personally I take a bow to their courage.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Vidushis Ranjani and Gayatri have done the right thing by boycotting the conference.

I hear the Trichur brothers are also boycotting it.

Any man who sings praises of EVR is debased and unworthy of respect.

EVR used language against Brahmins similar to that employed by Nazis against the Jews. His followers, to this day, apply the same template to abuse the Brahmin community.

A political activist like TMK cannot claim to be ignorant of EVR's utterances. And yet, he sings, quite literally, praises of EVR. He knows what kind of a man EVR was, and he knows what he is doing.

I think what's happening is an attempt at institutional capture of the Music Academy. That is a classic communist tactic. And leftist takeover of any influential centre of culture or power is immediately followed by the entry of Abrahamic forces into those centres.

We know the Church is scheming to destroy Hinduism. They have said it publicly. The Christians are doubtless waiting to get a foothold in the academy.

Be prepared to hear concerts fully dedicated to compositions in praise of that carcass on a cross. In MMA. It will happen. It will be normalized.

And they will have the full support of the media. You will start seeing articles and opinion pieces lamenting the "lack of diversity" in Carnatic compositions.

And when that happens, Hindu fools will support it too, and likely teach Christian compositions to the next generation. That is how the fall will begin.

TMK is an asset of forces that seek to break India. These forces are waging civilizational war on us. And TMK has started the assault on a sacred heritage that only Hindu civilization could have brought into being. And he has tasted blood.

Things will only get worse from here on.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Predictions on the headlines that will appear in the media in the following days:

1. Musician gets hate from right wing extremists for winning award.
2. Intolerance on display as progressive musician wins award.
3. Award winning musician faces right wing ire.

These headlines will appear not only in Indian media but also foreign ones like NYT, Wapo, BBC, Al Jazeera etc.

And TMK himself will play victim and offer sound bytes to the usual suspects: Wire, Scroll, Deccan Herald, News Laundry, Quint etc.