Abhishek Raghuram@Music Academy (Vijaya Srinivasan Endowment) on Jan 27th ,2024

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Abhishek Raghuram
Violin : Akkarai Subhalakshmi
Mrudangam : Trichy Sankaran
Ghatam : Chandrasekara Sharma

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow , Non Ticketed concert
Day : Saturday
Duration -2 hours and 50 mins and additional 15 mins of introduction

Occasion : Vijaya Srinivasan Memorial (1935 -2022) , first memorial concert
Sabha/Hall : Music Academy main TTK Hall
Time : 06:00 to 09 :10 pm

0.Brief presentation of Smt Vijaya Srinivasan after music academy seceratary Sumathi krishnan brief introduction
01. Shree gananAtham bhajarE- eesamanOhari - MD
02. Into paraka (RS, N ,S) - nadanamakriya (not mAyamAlavagowlai is what I think) -Anai ayya
Neraval in kanna Tandri for 3 mins
6 mins swaras

03. karunA samudhrA (S) - devagAndhari - T
Swaras for 3 mins
04. Talachi Nandana (R,S) - mukhari - T
4 mins alapana and no violin return
6 mins swaras

05A. satilEni guruguhae (R, CS, N , CS) - poorvikalyani - Tanjore ponniah pillai
11 mins neraval in Koti Manmadha RoopudE
05B. Tani for 11 mins

06. kA vA vA (RS,S) - varAli - papanAsam Sivan
Swaras for ?? Mins

07A. rAma kathA sudhA (R,S, T) - madhyamavati -T
4 mins alapana with no violin return
swaras for 6 mins
07B. Tani for 14 mins

08. karpagAmbikE kadaikaNN - bilahari - papanasam sivan
09. Rama jogi - kamat - BR

10. sapasyAt kausalyAm - Jonpuri - Panchapakesa Sastri
11. Javali - sakhi prana - shenjuruTTi - dharmapuri subbarayar
12. CHoodare chelulaaraa  Yamuna devi - pantuvarAli - T (nowka charithram )
13. karpagamE - madhyamavati - p sivan
14. Prathiki taart theera - shurutti - T
15. Nee nama -sowrashtram- T
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 Jan 2024, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Abhishek Raghuram@Music Academy (Vijaya Srinivasan Endowment) on Jan 27th ,2024

Post by rajeshnat »

The family of Late Vijaya Srinivasan with mainly their neice and nephew has approached music academy and they have instituted a memorial concert starting this year Jan 2024 .(Endowment instituted by Dr. Mridu D Sekhar and Sri. Jagdish Dore in memory of Smt. Vijaya Srinivasan.).Smt Vijaya has spent considerable time in Delhi , Trivandrum and most of her life in Mylapore. Infact Vijaya was born and dead in Mylapore . There was considerable publicity in The Hindu and the event was put as 6 pm start .

Post Sumathi Introduction ,Vijaya’s niece spoke beautifully and I am assuming she and her brother who was there in the audience are both from USA and they have instituted in the name of Vijaya this memorial . The joy of Steve Waugh -Abhishek Raghuram makes me usually excited and this time it was not Mark Waugh -Anantha Krishnan but Sir Donald Bradman -Trichy Sankaran. Abhishek announced that he is pairing with sankaran sir after 15 years. Akkarai a very seasoned Abhishek accompaniment artist and Chandrasekara sharma indeed created musical magic for 2 hours and 50 mins

The start was lovely , a rare shree gananatham in eesamanoHari was brilliant with the tiger Sankaran roaring from word go with his mrudhu angam. What a joy to hear the nadanamakirya mayamalavagowlai . I am not sure if it is nadanamakriya or maayamalavagowlai , 15 years back in one concert was that TMK or Abhishek itself ,the ragam for this krithi was told as nadanamakriya . There is a 1988 music academy of SSI - sankaran sir in YouTube , Semmmangudi roars with the same into paraka, Abhishek has dutifully and filled the stature of the jambhavan semmangudi , nice swara patterns in NNK or MMG excites me as carnatic music is Maayama glowing with or without naadanaamakriya ing.

After fist of fury inta paraka , the slow paced devagandhari drop of Karuna samudhra again reminded of the doyen Semmangudi. IT is rare to hear devagandhari swaras as usually it is skipped . Musicians generally sing the standalone Karuna samudra or ksheerasagara sayana , to have swaras was a forgotten or may be a new experience

I remember once asking in 2008 to 2012 circa in this forum where I told I heard in my office where some one sang the Mukhari krithi Talachi nandana . Our spring cuckoo the mukhari mad man put the song of PSN singing talachi Nandana. IT is a beautiful and a rarest mukhari krithi and I thoroughly enjoyed it , to the best of my knowledge the doyen SEmmangudi has not sung Talachi Nandana , from the great intermediate guru PSN ,Abhishek has got the mukhari krithi

Satileni guruguha started with the alapana. The cluster of shanmughapriya ,poorvikalyani and pantuvarali is usually a tsunami effect of abhishek. But his alapana was curtailed a bit and the neraval was very enjoyable than swaras . With a lovely tani from Sankaran and Chandrasekara sharma , Abhishek surprised me when he said the main will follow . I thought That is great there is a RTP for sure . The escaped tsunami of poorvikalyani came in with kaa vaa vaa , Ahishek controls layam and raga Bhavam so well with varali and Sankaran was a cloud burst .

Lovely madhyamavati alapana followed as main. There was no RTP . Abhishek generally takes some line and sings like a slokham and he took baama mani you can kind of say with the repetition , that was like slokham , Rama Katha sudha krithi was brilliant .Then there was a rough patch of swaras where too much mathematical circus did not suit my taste at all.

The tukkadas were all well done , the rare karpagAmbikE in bilahari and kamas Ramajogi were well sung. Sapashyat in jonpuri was bit not as excellent as his paramaguru . For me the second best was the javali Sakhi pranA and then the best of best was his CHoodare chelulaaraa  Yamuna devi - pantuvarAli - T . What a pantuvarali it was , Abhishek did not announce it was a nowka charithram krithi,i just googled to find out now . Abhishek only said Sadhguru sang on river Yamuna without going there. What a treasure , I have not heard a nowkha charithram Krithi , I have only read about it and not heard(assuming I have not forgotten) . Usually Thyagaraja krihtis in tukkada usually taper with less rigour . This CHoodare chelulaaraa  Yamuna devi - pantuvarAli was like listening to ardhanadheeshwaram in kumudakriya of his . Personally a rare ashtqpathi Anila tharala in ragam viswapriya was sung by Santhanam in 1980s and 1990s when I was in school. I came to know thru the forum that viswapriya ragam is a janya derivative of pantuvarali . What an intensity just like Santhanam viswapriya , Abhishek pantuvarali was superb .I take a bow with Abhishek to bring the unknown facet of sadhguru.

The remaining tail of madhyamati, shurutti was well done but it did not have the intense magic of CHoodare chelulaaraa  Yamuna devi - pantuvarAli - T

Akkarai maintained very well the tempo and her grasp of this maverick Abhishek was wonderful . So was Chandrasekara sharma who did not cow down to the legend. In second round tani sharma matched very well.

Trichy Sankaran and his mrudu angam
——————————————————
I dont know why Abhishek gave two tanis , may be it was his 80th birthday post arangetram. I was not that happy to hear 2 tani avartnams , I wish Abhishek sang a RTP as it is a 6 pm start. The sensitivity of sankaran in his volume and how he plays with so much solkattu without near zero theermanam creates an intense carnatic sound canvas that organically toes so well with the vocalist.

Nowadays There is way too much hype on mrudangam minimalism , I request all mrudangam artist just attend Sankaran sir concert. While sankaran sir was into inta paraka , Rama katha were all possibly semmangudi uruppudis where he must have just seen Abhishek as the avatara prime second generation sishya of the doyen. I am assuming sankaran would have not heard the CHoodare chelulaaraa  Yamuna devi - pantuvarAli at all . For the first half, butter like touches with flurry of strokes and then the same densiity of strokes he slowly increased the overall volume when Abhishek went to second half . Abhishek was ideating with such fiery brigas and Sankaran was matching so well. Post concert ,The doyen told me that he is there till March , sabha secretary please give him more chances in next 2 months Trichy then becomes inaccessible as Toronto Sankaran (the biggest brain drain of carnatic music).

bEst wishes for all mrudangam to learn from sankaran sir on how to control volume without losing density of strokes

Special Shout out for family of Vijaya Srinivasan
————————————————————————
To have a memorial concert in the academy which Is constrained to exact 150 mins in dec season.Today the artists had a solid 20 plus mins apart from 15 mins introduction gave more intensity to Carnatic . Who knows only because of that extra 20 mins I had the shenjurutti javali and the most memorable CHoodare chelulaaraa  Yamuna devi - pantuvarAli - T . I hope they invite more and more artist from next year and best wishes to them, they can even start by 05 45 PM with a 15 mins crisp speech and mandate RTP like what academy does for Dec season and have an exact 3 hour concert.

Overall an excellent to outstanding concert for 2 hours and 50 mins
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 Jan 2024, 10:08, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Abhishek Raghuram@Music Academy (Vijaya Srinivasan Memorial) on Jan 27th ,2024

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Abhishek Raghuram
Violin : Akkarai Subhalakshmi
Mrudangam : Trichy Sankaran
Ghatam : Chandrasekara Sharma

Duration -2 hours and 50 mins and additional 15 mins of introduction

Occasion : Vijaya Srinivasan Memorial (1935 -2022) , first endowment concert

GLICSPAWES 2024 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #1 of xy is done.

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=381290

rupavathi

Re: Abhishek Raghuram@Music Academy (Vijaya Srinivasan Endowment) on Jan 27th ,2024

Post by rupavathi »

Scratched my head for a long time wondering WTH is "talachi nandana" 🧐
Looks like you heard the kriti "talacintanane nA tanuvEmo" 🤯

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

The rendition of the Madhyamavati kruthi 'Rama Katha Sudha' (and only the kruthi) was exactly like the rendition of Dr M Balamuralikrishna in one of his recordings.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

can some one confirm if Abhishek sang inta parakha in naadanamakriya or is that maayamalavagowlai. I get conflicting messages and I wanted to confirm preferably if some one talks with Abhishek and lets me know