Suryaprakash - Shrikar Rangarajan@RR Sabha on Aug 12th,2023

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Pappu Gyan Dev
Mrudangam : Young Lad from USA - Shrikar Rangarajan Mrudanga arangetram
Kanjira - Siva Ponnudurai

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday /3 hours and 05 mins
Hall : RR Sabha
Occasion : Shrikar Rangarajan Arangetram

01. ViribOni - Bhairavi - pachimariyam adiyappa
02A. Slokham vakrathunda mahAkaya
02B. Karunai seivai (S)- hamsadhwani - P Sivan
6 mins swaras
03. mariverE gathi evarayya rAmA (R N S) -shanmughapriya - Patnam
11 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
6 mins neraval in shannuthAnga shree
Swaras

04.shree maatrubhootam (R, S)- kannada - MD
Brief alapana and swaras -
05. Paripaalinchu (CS 1 , CS 2)- sudda saveri - Tiruvisainallur Venkataramana Iyer
2 rounds of cittaswaras

06A. Endukku pEdala (R N S T) - shankarabharanam - T
14 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
Forgot to note swaras and neraval time
Neraval was in vEda sastra tatvartamu tElisi
06B. 35 mins of tani

07A. Paasuram - pacha mA malai - sindubhairavi. + ichuvai yaan - kaapi
07B. Emna thavam seidhanai - kapi - p sivan
08. Kaliyuga Vardhan - Brindavani - PErisamy Thooran
09. karpagamE - madhyamavati - P Sivan

10. Thillana - suddasArang - Suryaprakash
“Yaaridum murai iduvEnE”

11. Pavamana

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash - Shrikar Rangarajan@RR Sabha on Aug 12th,2023

Post by rajeshnat »

The joy of encouraging mridangam arangtram was quite high for me say 10 to 15 years back . I cherish some write-ups that I had to write for some kids who played for Laya Lavanya which was done by UKS student . Once when Patri student played I enjoyed a lot . Mrudangam is just not the heart beat rhthym but it gives a tonal identify of Carnatic Music. If you think that statement is not right , buy or hear some Carnatic songs with some tabla artist , you will easily feel in few seconds something is not intense

This young kid Srikar Rangarajan is from Boston area and his guru is also from USA . His guru who played Kanjira was Siva Ponnudurai . Ponnudurai is srilankan Tamizh artist who comes from the lineage of yaazhpaanam santhanakrishnan . Vidwan Melakaveri Balaji who came to preside said that shanmughasundram the famous thavil Vidwans and santhanakrishnan are connected and POnnudurai also learnt a bit from the legend Guru Karaikudi Mani.

As I entered dad and mom spoke few words and gave the floor to Srikar sister who spoke with such intense focus about all Vidwans and she did a good job to wrap up quickly. Arangetram started and what I liked the most the family gave full 3 hours and they did not disturb the flow till Mangalam

Suryaprakash stared with a very nice boney in viriboni . This Bhairavi raga varnam is intensely carnatic and I would put in a pedestal like a near submain. Hamsadhwani rolled and as expected the Sivan krithi had copious kalapana swaras . The shanmughapriya is a ragam that suits Suriyaprakash a lot and he sang brilliantly , I would say the neraval stood out the most.

Little change of Gear in thalam and pace with shri maatrubhootam was well done and I did not expect the paripalinchu as a filler . The semmangudi sudda saveri sangathis with few cittaswaras did come out well and mrudangam had more share to showcase his vidwat.

The day’s best was the very intense shankarabharanam . Dangerous ragam to take is what I would say for melakartha 29 as main . shankarabharanam can easily sag like his sister Kalyani . Suryaprakash is actually semmangudi 2nd generation disciple having learnt from his guru tirukodikaval Rajamani , the patterns of steadfastly singing neraval with such musically apt words like veda saastra tatvartamu are just musically so well laid out to ideate in kalpana . Sadguru created magic with this krithi . The swaras were well done with nice rotation by guru sishya in percussion.In the tail I liked enna thavam the most and kaliyuga Varada and the last sudda Sarang thllana came out well .

Pappu Gyan dev keeps himself tucked with obedience is what I would describe . Great press and sharp crisp returns and he really did a great job for most part . At some places I felt he can bow a bit more .

Guru Siva Ponnudurai was mostly helping for significant part to only observe his student arangetram and he showed his maximum contribution in main.

Now with Srikhar
————————
1. I could definitely hear a well marked Pudukottai school. He had good control on the press of the instrument . He is observing well for songs
2. His play was very pronounced with most clarity in main . IT was raining that day and possibly the temperature in AC hall did have some hiccups in first few songs .
3. If there is a feedback I would humbly say is that he was trying few sollus where he appeared at lot of places that he has to practice more
4. His 35 mins tani was very methodical and one has to give to his stamina that too after fairly long and exhaustive veda sastra neraval and shankarabharanam swaras
5. Melakaveri Balaji gave a pointed feedback that practice is key and he spoke very well , despite post Mangalam he made it crisp and did not show any showoff like as though he is the chief guest.

The RR Sabha Mini was full and there was lot of Mylapore cheer leaders who must have felt hey let us cheer and make Shrikar a great star .Mylapore appeared to cheer intensely the massachussets young lad which is always a norm for this centre of carnatic music . Shrikar appeared very focussed in almost the whole concert and he will make it well , he is joining college is what was told by his sister in early speech. I think I heard her saying he is pursuing Robotics in Georgia , hope he spends more time and gets into the circuit .Arangetram is surely only YETram , the perseverance and being in circuit is key

GLICSPAWES 2023 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #5 of 12 is done.

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 3 hours and 05 mins..

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash - Shrikar Rangarajan@RR Sabha on Aug 12th,2023

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Pappu Gyan Dev
Mrudangam : Young Lad from Boston, Masachusetts, USA - Shrikar Rangarajan Mrudanga arangetram
Kanjira - Siva Ponnudurai

GLICSPAWES 2023 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #5 of 12 is done.

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=380137#p380137