Maha Vaidhyanatha Sivan

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I recently had the opportunity to hear a kriti "Muthukumarayyane" in Sankarabharanam by SSI. Very interesting and very unusual one. Not heard anyone else singing this. I can upload if you want.

This is composed by Sri.Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan. Could anyone give more about him ?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

grsastrigal wrote:I Not heard anyone else singing this.
By PS Narayanaswamy (Uploaded by Ganesan Iyer on sangeethapriya)

http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Downloads/psn/07.mp3

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal,
MuthuKumarayyane is a composition of rAmaswamy Shivan (elder brother of mahA vaidhyanAtha Iyer). I have heard this composition last time ,where ThanjAvur shankara Iyer sang this in a concert in MFAC.

Bio of rAmaswAmy shivan's is in the url http://www.karnatik.com/co1058.shtml
and vaidhyanAtha Iyer is in the url http://www.karnatik.com/co1113.shtml

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I would like to hear his gaNapati kriti "vinAyaka" in hamsadhvani.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

In Hindu link-it was mentioned as Muthukumrayyane is by Maha Vaidhyanatha Sivan and PSN link by DRS is also MVS only. Neverthless, I also saw this kriti is in "Chatusra Rupakam Two Kalai with Anagatha Eduppu". All of you know this but "gnanasoonyam" like me-on hearing this kriti looks like- Mumbai sem-fast train goes from one station to another station.. I have not heard any other kriti like this. Here it from SSI is a double joy.

Also, I was wondering how he has penned a single Kriti on 72 melaraagamalika ? Has any other person composed a kriti like this ?
I saw the kriti in karnatik.com and got clean bowled !!!!
Last edited by grsastrigal on 04 Jun 2007, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

grsastrigal: the belief is that Shivan penned the lyrics and his brother mahAvaidyanAtha aiyyer, composed the music for them.

The mELarAgamAlika was indeed a stellar achievement. I don't remember the historical account, IIRC, his composing the entire work overnight spelled victory over a rival musician who challanged vaidyanAtha aiyyer's musical genius at the time. It indeed a difficult work to learn, warranting thorough knowledge of all the 72 mELarAgAs in depth. I recall someone telling me the MSS recording at HMV spanned a little over a week, and she did two cakrAs a day or so. Smt sulOcana paTTAbhirAman's disciples have rendered the entire work some music seasons ago.

If my memory serves right, rAmasvAmi dIkshitar, the father of muttusvAmi dIkshitar was the famous composer of rAgamALikAs. He has the magnum opus(and so far the longest composition in Karnatic Music) called the ashTOttaraShatarAgatALamAlika (108 rAgams & tALams), lyrics for which you will find here: http://www.carnatica.net/special/rdiksitar.htm. There is also a nakshatra rAgamALikA in 27 rAgAs (don't know who the composer is).

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

grs,
regarding 72 melaragamalika:
i think you are referring to konyati by mahavaidhyanatha sivan. commercial recordings by mudikondan venkatrama iyer and MSS are available.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Kmrasika-what is that you are referring "ganapati kriti" ? Is it something special or composed by MVS ? Your link of carnatica.net is not opening.
Lakshmanan-I think you are referring "Lalitha Ashtothra malika" mentioned by Kmrasika.
Chalanata-I may try to buy this in due course. Curious to listen..

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

grsastrigal wrote:Kmrasika-what is that you are referring "ganapati kriti" ? Is it something special or composed by MVS ?
I apologize for the error. The kriti is "mahAgaNapatE nI mahima" in hamsadhvani by MVS. The notation I have is a little difficult to follow.
grsastrigal wrote:Your link of carnatica.net is not opening.
It is http://www.carnatica.net/special/rdiksitar.htm This was the ashTOttaraShaTarAgamAlikA I was referrring about which is the longest composition in our music.
grsastrigal wrote:Lakshmanan-I think you are referring "Lalitha Ashtothra malika"
The article talks about a particular hymn (stOtra), not the musical work I was referring to above.
chalanata wrote:regarding 72 melaragamalika:
i think you are referring to konyati by mahavaidhyanatha sivan. commercial recordings by mudikondan venkatrama iyer and MSS are available.
I thought when we mention the 72 mELarAgacakramAlikA, it refers to "praNatArtihara prabhO purArE." Is konyati a composition of MVS?

Also, only two composition are exclusively attributed to rAmasvAmi Shivan: muttukumarayyanE (ShankarAbharaNam) and ekkAlattilum maRavaEne (nATTakuranji). He has also composed a sets of kIrtanAs on periya purANa, sItA kalyAnam, mArkaNDEya caritram, prahlAda bhakti but unfortunately none of these have been published.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Have the pleasure of listening Muthukumarayyane by SSI.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/clros1

gb

Post by gb »

i know this song.. also this music season.. on the lec-dem sessions in the morning hours at Music academy Sri.B.Krishnamoorthy bro of Sri.B.Rajam Iyer.. sang this song..

gb

Post by gb »

i will check my files and if i have the recording will post it..

gb

Post by gb »

Also it is not "Muthukumarayyane".. it is "Muddukumarayyane"..
muddu meaning dear... also the name of lord muruga..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

muddu is 'dear' in telugu, not AFAIK in tamizh - not sure if a word like muddu exists in tamizh..muttu = (as precious as a) pearl...can also mean beauty, or joy, or a term of endearment -
since the composition is in tamizh, I think it should read muttukumarayyanE...

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

gb:
"muddu" is OK in Telugu (muddugAre yasOdhA..) but not in Thamizh. There is a misconception among some that "muttukkumAraswAmy" is a Telugu name derived from "muddu". Not so. MuttukkumAraswAmy (a blend of Thamizh and Sanskrit names) is the kshetra name for Lord Murugan in the temple VaidIswaran kOyil near Mayuram. Muttuswamy Dikshitar (MD) was named after this deity after his parents prayed at this temple for a son. Ramaswamy Dikshitar had a dream in which Lord Murugan presented him with a pearl necklace after which MD was born to the couple. Hence he was named after the deity.

In Thamizh we do not write "muddu". muttu is a Thamizh name for pearl and as rshankar pointed out it is a term of endearment--such as paTTu (silk), tangam (gold), and other precious materials.
Last edited by mahakavi on 11 Jun 2007, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.