Thanjavur M Thyagarajan

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Thanjavur M Thyagarajan

Post by rajeshnat »

What do i know about TMT (Thanjavur M Thyagarajan) . Started with few of semmangudi concerts where TMT the sishya has accompanied and they were superb. Of late in the last ten years quite a few of his sishyas have interested me a lot - Rajee Gopalakrishnan and OST to think at the top of my head and many more not in the top of my head.. Their presentation is certainly wonderful because they have been guided by TMT . I recently talked with karaikudi mani and he was gA gA with TMT when hyderabad brothers seshachary sang one of the krithis tuned by TMT in nagavalli.

Also lot of musicians who have not learnt from him directly have taken few of TMT tuned krithis or varnams. What can I say each of the songs that he has tuned is a gem and at regular intervals musicians like maharajapuram ramachandran have dropped a brilliant no some where in between sub main and main or even the varnam . Few occassions i was simply awed by that composition where bit later either post the concert talking to musician or coming back to rasikas in a post , I just come to know that number was tuned and polished by TMT .

He has added depth with his aesthetic polish as a contemporary tunesmith. shri TMT is truly a brilliant musician, vaggeyakkara and tunesmith - truly a complete musician.

In the last one month there were lots of concerts dedicated to TMT at arkay(thanks to vedanth ramanujan and arkay ramakrishnan) and one more big event at NGS.Unfortunately i could not attend even one - no idea if some one posts that would be great . Here is a lovely write up of TMT that appeared in may 27th,2016 (The Hindu Friday review)

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 650028.ece

kvchellappa

Re: Thanjavur M Thyagarajan

Post by kvchellappa »

Sudha Raghunathan has said in one interview that MLV would ask her to go and learn from TMT on occasions.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

This thread has triggered some fond memories of our family's association with TMT.

We knew TMT thro SSI from the early forties--at SSI's behest my father arranged for a concert for TMT in 1949 under the Shanmukkhananda sabha auspices.(This also should negate the impression that SSI did not encourage his sishyas--as I have heard even from some of his own sishyas!!).TMT was hardly 26--SSI was still in his prime so were ARI,GNB,MMI and to be able to accommodate tier#2 of musicians(VVS/Ramnad Krishnan,KVN et al)was difficult. Yet because of SSI and my father's high regard forTMT's musical scholarship, the concert was arranged. He was accompanied on the violin by Kalyanam(a grandson of Tirukkodikaval Krishna Iyer and hence SSI's nephew--this too was at the behest of SSI!!) and on the mridangam by Melattur Ramachandran on the mridangam. TMT sang well but Kalyanam's violin was below par and that dampened the whole performance much to tMT's chagrin(I still remember after the concert both TMT and Kalyanam were staying in our house-- Kalyanam knew that he had "botched" the concert(partly out of nervousness and partly his own lack of talent) and nervously asks TMT-- about how he(Kalyanam) had performed. TMT although miffed that his maiden debut before a Bombay audience did not turn out the way he wanted ,told Kalyanam 'ANNA NEE INNIKKU VACICHELE--ADU ORU VASHIPPA in a disguised derisive tone(loosely translated --How do I describe your performance today!!--Kalyanam was clueless and thought this was a compliment and TMT did not dissuade him to think otherwise!!!!However TMT the principled and loyal vidwan as he was lamented to my father later,--"I am grateful to you to have given me an opportunity to sing in Bombay for the first time in a big Sabha,but you could have let me choose my violin accompaniment--this was more like a plea rather than a complaint". My father agreed and told SSI later not to let nepotism overwhelm his concern for his sishyas!!!! Ofcourse SSi not to be deterred, still pushed for TMT to sing at my aunt's wedding in Tirupparankunram in May 1949!!!!. Guess who the accompaniments were? TNK and Umayalpuram Kodanda Rama Iyer on the MRIDANGAM--then later on he switched to Ghatam--highly recommended by SSI because he had accompanied SSI's brother Semmangudi Narayanaswamy. Within our family some of my uncles were "miffed" that SSI himself did not sing at the wedding(he was the one who "orchestrated" the wedding alliance- in the first place-the groom's family lived in TVM and SSI was close to them and so SSI felt vindicated that he had served several of his "constituencies" simultaneously well!!!!Sorry for the digression!!

Till he(TMT) died, my father used to visit him often and he was the one who recommended Lakshmi Rangarajan and her daughter Subiksha and my father wrote a number of reviews of their concerts . Lakshmi Rangarajan's mother was also a student and the three generations were loyal to TMT as a person as wellas for his patantharam.

He was a very principled man--unbowed before power and uncowed by authority .He never sought any favors from Sabha secretaries--no angling for opportunities. An anecdote relating to his Sangeetha Kalanidhi award as told by my father:

As forumites know,TNK was selected for 1980 and TMT in 1981. Initially the "Expert" Committee under the advice of SSI had selected TMT for 1980(he was five years senior to TNK and had made substantial contribution to scholarship,teaching,compositions --a well-rounded artist besides being a good performer and vocal accompanist" and in every which way deserved the recognition before TNK(this is not to belittle TNK's recognition). TMT had been informed informally about the Committee's deliberations and he true to his beliefs,was scrupulously reticent about it despite his 'sycophants" showering compliments and congratulations in anticipation of the "announcement". Apparently there were certain forces within the Academy(who were not particularly well-disposed towards TMT because of his "alleged" high-mindedness) put uo TNK's candidacy and started a vigorous campaign for votes. This reached SSI's ears and while I am not sure what role SSI played in trying to resolve,he apparently thought-- TMT being a man of principle and not much a hankerer about awards or recognition--would gracefully let TNk get the award.Despite SSI's ambivalence towards the whole imbroglio(after all both were his disciples and both spent a lot of time doing Gurukulavasam when SSI was in TVM),he felt that TMT should get the award first, chose to be passive,letting the TNK champions have their day. However inasmuch as TMT had already been "sounded" earlier the Academy authorities decided in advance to select TMT for 1981. This was the FIRST time in MA's history that sishyas of the same Guru and School had been elected as Sangeetha Kalanidhi in successive years!! History buffs look it up!!

TMT was no doubt "miffed" that his Guru did not stand up for him but the principled man that he was,did not show his disappointment. His speech in 1981 was equally free of rancor or nor did he show any cleverly-disguised ill will towards the Academy for their"sleight of hand"!!

All his contemporaries--TK Murthy,KVN.MLV,Tanjavur Sankara Iyer ,LGJ,TRS all had uniform high regard for TMT--MLV popularized one of TMT's compositions on Lord Vinayaka,NAMAMI VIGNA VINAYAKAM" in Hamasadhwani(Forumites --especially LAXMANJI-- might help me "scour" the net for this song--Charumathy Ramachandran also used to sing this song.

The classy person that he was never let his sycophants lure him into controversies about artists or Institutions.

One last anecdote about the SSI/TMT relationship.THIS HAS TO BE HANDLED WITH SENSITIVITY AND DISCRETION.
My uncle told me this which even some of the younger folks of SSI(who are my age and good friends to this day ) were not aware of.

It seems in the early forties when SSI moved to TVM to take up the Principalship of the Swathi Thirunal Academy,his chief disciples were Kallidaikurichi Harihara Iyer(who had migrated to Trivandrum,but chose to live in Valia Chalai instead of with SSI in Thycau. TMT however stayed with SSI for the Gurukulavasam. At that time SSI's mother( sister of Violin Maestro Thirukkodikaaval Krishna Iyer ) was with SSI. An ULTRAORTHODOX lady and she had her own caste reservations that would have inhibited TMT staying with SSI. SSI "solved' this by putting a POONAL(sacred thread) around TMT in her presence in order not to create too much fuss. SSI himself was very orthodox with SriChakra puja/upasana etc but was progressive and decent enough not let it bother TMT's tutelage under him.

CAVEAT: I CRAVE THE INDULGENCE OF THE YOUNGER FORUMITES LEST THEY BE APPALLED BY THE 'BIGOTRY' OF SOCIETY. prevalent in those times I do not want to start a controversy here about the rightness or wrongness of the actions of the parties involved. Keep in mind --this was the forties and the parties were hugely-tradition bound.

The point I want to emphasize that throughout his career,TMT stood with his head aloft --above all unsavory issue--be it music-related or Institution-related!! An excellent teacher besides being a great human being!!!

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

MKR, what a lovely, well-written tribute!

Yes, MLV was an ardent admirer of TMT’s uncompromising artistic integrity.
Ramalinga Swamigal’s ‘Thayagi thanthayumai’ tuned by TMT in hamsadhwani used to be her staple too.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Kedaram: Thanks for your kind remarks. That TMT was an excellent tunesmith is not well known but all the contemporary and senior vidwans have acknowledged his vidwath. One of my eternal regrets--during my frequent visits to Chennai in the eighties and Nineties was that I did not spend enough time with TMT despite my father's cajoling to accompany him on his visits. Ofcourse my father the Journalist in him was simultaneously courting both SSI(who lived in Royapettah) and TMT(lived in the Mylapore environment) in trying to reconcile conflicting points of view!! Both of them true to their credit refused to succumb to my father's "pokes and probes"!!My father who used to extol TMT's scholarship especially in tracing the origins of our CM prior to the trinity--the Panns,Thevaram--how the ragas with strange names were structured etc. Towards his last few years TMT's Diabetes severely hampered his movements and sapped his energy. Despite this my father used to visit him in ungodly hours and "pester" him. TMT never once asked to be excused himself from this "friendly tyranny"!!!!

TKM Sir used to tell us that TMT had an younger brother(if I am not mistaken Panchami was his name) who was an extraordinary Mridangam player(who died prematurely). He had trained under Tanjore Vaidyanatha Iyer(Vaithanna) like TKM and Palghat mani Iyer and it was rumored that had he been alive he would have given PMI run for his money!! Ofcourse in the Musical World such tales are not without their hyperboles!!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Kedaram: Thanks for your kind remarks. That TMT was an excellent tunesmith is not well known but all the contemporary and senior vidwans have acknowledged his vidwath. One of my eternal regrets--during my frequent visits to Chennai in the eighties and Nineties was that I did not spend enough time with TMT despite my father's cajoling to accompany him on his visits. Ofcourse my father the Journalist in him was simultaneously courting both SSI(who lived in Royapettah) and TMT(lived in the Mylapore environment) in trying to reconcile conflicting points of view!! Both of them true to their credit refused to succumb to my father's "pokes and probes"!!My father who used to extol TMT's scholarship especially in tracing the origins of our CM prior to the trinity--the Panns,Thevaram--how the ragas with strange names were structured etc. Towards his last few years TMT's Diabetes severely hampered his movements and sapped his energy. Despite this my father used to visit him in ungodly hours and "pester" him. TMT never once asked to be excused himself from this "friendly tyranny"!!!!

TKM Sir used to tell us that TMT had an younger brother(if I am not mistaken Panchami was his name) who was an extraordinary Mridangam player(who died prematurely). He had trained under Tanjore Vaidyanatha Iyer(Vaithanna) like TKM and Palghat mani Iyer and it was rumored that had he been alive he would have given PMI run for his money!! Ofcourse in the Musical World such tales are not without their hyperboles!!!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: TKM Sir used to tell us that TMT had an younger brother(if I am not mistaken Panchami was his name) who was an extraordinary Mridangam player(who died prematurely).
I think his name was Thambuswami .

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

"... In the early days he was accompanied on the mridangam either by his father or his brother Thambuswamy. Another brother Balasubramanian accompanied on the violin. It was a family team. Both his brothers died in the same month."

"... His grandfather and great-grandfather were Asthana Vidwans in the Baroda court. Even now members of this family are living in Vadodara with the family name Thanjavurkar.

"Thiagarajan's father is Mahalingam Pillai, a mridangam maestro and his mother is Seethalakshmi Ammal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._M._Thiagarajan

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote:."... His grandfather and great-grandfather were Asthana Vidwans in the Baroda court. Even now members of this family are living in Vadodara with the family name Thanjavurkar
I wonder if his ancestors were on the team of musicians who accompanied the Maratha Princess, Chimnabai of Tanjāvar, when she married the last king of Vadodra: part of her dowry included two dévadāsi bharatanATyam dancers, and a troupe of musicians under the leadership of one of the Tanjavur Quartette's descendants as the naTTuvanAr.

Pratyaksham Bala

rshankar wrote:I wonder if his ancestors were on the team of musicians who accompanied the Maratha Princess, Chimnabai of Tanjāvar, when she married the last king of Vadodra: part of her dowry included two dévadāsi bharatanATyam dancers, and a troupe of musicians under the leadership of one of the Tanjavur Quartette's descendants as the naTTuvanAr.
Wow !
THANKS A LOT !

Based on the info provided by you, I could locate this link :-
http://cinemanrityagharana.blogspot.in/ ... olved.html

"The alliance between the royal families of Tanjore and Baroda happened when the Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III married Chimnabai I of Tanjore in December 1880/January 1881 and was officially invested with power in December 1881, though his powers were curbed until 1883 (Gaekwad). As part of the wedding dowry, a troupe of temple dancers and musicians were sent to Baroda. It was the first time a southern dance troupe had settled in the north. The ensemble comprised of the temple devadasis from Tanjore/Kumbakonam, Gauri, Sarada, and Kamu; nattuvanars Kannuswamy (Pillai) Nattuvanar and Kuppuswamy Nattuvanar; and the following musicians: Muthukrishnan (Nagaswaram), Karandai Ratnam Pillai (Thavil), Ramaswamy (Otthu drone), and Vadivelu Pillai, Sabapathi, and Subramaniam (Mridangam). Sarada and Kamu were soon replaced by Nagaratnam and finally by Gauri's cousin Kanthimathi in 1891."

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

MLV popularized one of TMT's compositions on Lord Vinayaka,NAMAMI VIGNA VINAYAKAM" in Hamasadhwani
This song, often sung by MLV, is a composition of Krishnaswamy Ayyah, the advocate of ETTayyapuram, who is immortalised by his Rudrapriya gem Amba paradevate.

TMt played an important role in the resurrection of NilakaNThan Sivan's compositions along with his student Lakshmi Poduval - often using rare rAgas such as Balahamsa, MangalakaiSika and Pharaz. Since These two scholars haven't written about the origin of the tunes, we do not know if they were collected from the Sisya parampara, or if they TMT's own tunes.

All the recordings that I've heard of his concerts demonstrate great originality in treatment of rAga-s as well as song selection- he wasn't another of those poor quality clones of SemmanguDi. He forged his own path.

It is also worth mention, that there are at least two instances where his retuning efforts have created trouble - he tuned up the GirvANi composition of MuttusvAmi DikSita [gIrvANi somewhat corresponds to gavAmbOdhi the 43rd melakarta] in the rAga kIravANi. I know that amongst Tamilians it is a habit to use the two words gIrvANI and kIravANi interchangeably, but TMT did it to the rAgas bearing those names! The other similar debacle, was when he 'set up' the nArIrItigauLa song srInIlotpalanAyike in naThabhairavi. TMT merrily sang/taught these two songs in their new clothes, and many contemporary artistes are propagating these 'pAThantara-s'.

I write this last point not to belittle TMT, but so that there is a record, and hopefully we can stop singing the erroneous versions.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanks to Pratyakshanbala and Keerthi for your posts.Keerthi--With folks like you WHO NEEDS WIKIPEDIA!!!

I thought Amba Para devathe in Rudrapriya was Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar's composition!!!

Re: the "transpositions" of the sagas, I am sure TMT would have provided a logical explanation for such "deviations" from tradition had he been questioned.Although he was quite firm in his beliefs and convictions--not to be cowed down by notions of fidelity towards what his Guru taught--he seldom tried to attract attention to himself by these detours.

I would like to know if forumites(who may have learnt under TMT when he was Principal of the Madurai College of Music) can contribute about his tenure there.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Just to add

Avvai Shanmugham in his autobiography mentions TMT was a part of the TKS drama troupe.

His famous and beautiful tuning of devaram 'vaananai madhi soodiya' had also created a mild controversy as the odhuvars had objected to the practice of moving away from the traditional paNNs.

Another fav of mine among his tunes (and rendition) is 'sharanam bhava' in Hamsavinodhini (getting goosebumps as I type this)

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

parivadini wrote: His famous and beautiful tuning of devaram 'vaananai madhi soodiya' had also created a mild controversy as the odhuvars had objected to the practice of moving away from the traditional paNNs.
Though TMT has notated it in his book, the tune is by one 'Thodi' Kannan ( who used to be active in Vada Pazhani Temple) , a forgotten singer.
Neyveli Santhanagopalan also sings a Thiruppugazh tuned by him , sometimes.

For confirmation , read:
"
The thevaram Vaananai- the middle na is wrongly spelt with moonu chuzhi na. NSG corrected that it should be rendu chuzhi na. He also mentioned that during the thevaram era, there was no pann equivalent to Keeravani. But it was tuned in Keeravani by a great singer called Thodi Kannan "
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25663 Post No #1

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Dear Pasupathy sir - thanks for throwing more light on the beautiful Keeravani.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

https://youtu.be/4R3P1X2_UUk

Can someone identify the co-singer and the lady on the tamburA ? TMT's disciples?

sitaky

Post by sitaky »

The lady is Smt. Lakshmi Poduval , TMT's disciple

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

From a knowledgable person : the co-singer is Sri Seetharaman, an AIR Staff Artist.

randomhari

Post by randomhari »

Shri MKR:
You mentioned Melattur Ramachandran. Could you please provide details about him?
I have heard only one AIR Alathur brothers concert accompanied by him.
Also, if not asking too much, could please write about S.V.S Narayanan?
Thanks in advance!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear Randomhari: Sorry I saw your post only today.''here are details of Mylattur Ramachandran(MR). he hails from Palghat. His father Sami Iyer had accompanied flute Palladam Sanjeevarao and was awarded Kalaimamani. MR's regret was that he was not given the title. MR was born in 1925 -did not have much success in his career. Sami Iyer however was attached to the Annamalai University Music School. Chembai as his usual nature encouraged MR and took him to accompany his concerts.But a good launching pad alone is not sufficient--the rocket should have its own boosting power!!!

I have heard him once(in Bombay when he accompanied TMT) and I was not impressed.With PMI/PSP/Murugabhoopathi at their peak form,followed by TKM,Raghu and Sivaraman,Ramabhadran MR did not stand up much in the filed.

Re; S.V.S.Narayanan our fellow forumite VKV may be able to throw more light on him.

jaishreejyothi

Post by jaishreejyothi »

Pasupathy wrote: 30 May 2016, 18:34
parivadini wrote: His famous and beautiful tuning of devaram 'vaananai madhi soodiya' had also created a mild controversy as the odhuvars had objected to the practice of moving away from the traditional paNNs.
Though TMT has notated it in his book, the tune is by one 'Thodi' Kannan ( who used to be active in Vada Pazhani Temple) , a forgotten singer.
Neyveli Santhanagopalan also sings a Thiruppugazh tuned by him , sometimes.

For confirmation , read:
"
The thevaram Vaananai- the middle na is wrongly spelt with moonu chuzhi na. NSG corrected that it should be rendu chuzhi na. He also mentioned that during the thevaram era, there was no pann equivalent to Keeravani. But it was tuned in Keeravani by a great singer called Thodi Kannan "
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25663 Post No #1
Hello sir, you seem to be familiar with the singer Thodi Kannan. This person happens to be my grand uncle (on my mother's side). I am currently a student of music and I know of him only through the stories my grandmother has shared with me about his musical prowess. I would love to get my hands on any recordings of his that might be out there in the hands of music lovers. Would love to have any and all information you can share about my grand uncle.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jaishree

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

>>Hello sir, you seem to be familiar with the singer Thodi Kannan. This person happens to be my grand uncle (on my mother's side). I am currently a student of music and I know of him only through the stories my grandmother has shared with me about his musical prowess. I would love to get my hands on any recordings of his that might be out there in the hands of music lovers. Would love to have any and all information you can share about my grand uncle.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jaishree >>

My brother , Thiruppugazadimai S.Natarajan was the honorary president of Vadapazhani Thiruppugazh Sabha for many years and through him, I have heard about Thodi Kannan . He was in the Group which started the Sabha in 1950, I think. I'm afraid that I don't have any recordings though. Neyveli Santhanagopalan may know someone in Vadapazhani Temple who may have such a recording. (though I doubt it)
I wish you success in your musical journey!

Pratyaksham Bala

jaishreejyothi wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 21:43... Thodi Kannan ... happens to be my grand uncle (on my mother's side). I am currently a student of music and I know of him only through the stories my grandmother has shared with me ... Would love to have any and all information you can share about my grand uncle.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jaishree

Thodi M. Kannan has acted in the 1939 Tamil Movie 'Rambayin Kaadhal'.
https://youtu.be/qophyYH-sOo?t=2

Check at 1.55 where Thodi M. Kannan’s name is mentioned.

And check 1.15.00 to witness Thodi Kannan’s acting as Chitraguptan !

Pratyaksham Bala

In the 1955 Tamil movie ‘Asai Anna Arumai Thambi’, Thodi Kannan is one of the singers in the group song ‘Pozhaikkum Vazhiyai Paaru’ !

He has also appeared as a supporting actor in the 1958 Tamil movie ‘Kudumba Gouravam’.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Here's an interesting 'tid-bit' about T.M.Thyagaraajan ( in Tamil)
2167. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 316
யார் இந்தச் சிறுமி?
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2022/06/2167-316.html

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Yesterday 28th May 2022 was the 99th birthday of Sri TM Thyagarajan. This being his centenary year, can anyone share if there any programme to celebrate the event.