Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
KNV1955

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by KNV1955 »

Mr Rajesh I don't think you have received my mail. Will you pl share your mail id. My id is knv1955@gmail.com

KNV

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

A small tribute to the legend....

E' SWARA MMI 032 - Shri. Madurai Mani Iyer 1966 Music Academy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5sVcVE4wuM

kapali

Post by kapali »

MMI 's mesmerising swaras for Andolika in the song ' Sevikka Vendum Ayyamppetai' in the above concert is brilliant and how superb is the violin response from TNK ! One can listen to this any number of times!

kapali

Post by kapali »

In the previous post read VendumAyya in place of Vendum ayyamppetai !

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Apart from this thread that discusses about MMI there are atleast 3 other threads where there is significant content about MMI with the url as shared below

1. MMI centenary celebrations --> http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... it=madurai
2. MMI tribute heart and mind ----> http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... durai+mani
3. MMI Pictorial ---> http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... it=madurai

Mods
You should consider locking those threads as the purpose is served

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MMI-MerusamAna(S)-MMG-T
--------------------------------
As a rasika ,One thing that always immensely interests me is when I have in my mind for a long time (even upto 7 or 8 years) where I have assumed that shri MMI has not sung a certain raga and krithi combination and then GOsh i discover it. One of those raga and krithi combinations which I assumed shri MMI has not sung at all is mEru sAmana in MAyAmAlavaGowlai.MMI has sung vidulaku mrOkedA but I was pretty sure he has not sung MEru sAmana .

I kept wondering did he pass mEru sAmanA because his peer SSI had taken to himalayan heights and he preferred not to sing at all this number . Incidentally this AIR recording of MMI singing mEru sAmanA has TNK and UKS accompanying . TNK and UKS are kind of stock accompanist to SSI - and what a shruthi suddham from all three . Did he sing this number as he had this combination of accompanists?. Was it sung to celebrate the year where there was some event where SSI was honoured .The sleeve says it is an All India Radio-1962 track with the accompanist name.

What ever enjoy MMI singing mErusAmana (S) -mAyAmAlavagowali - T, if I can say MMI in SSI color but with a different and distinct shade. A tribute to 101st anniversary celebrations of ganakalAdhara madurai mani iyer which was held a day back.

The download link of MMI-MerusamAna(S)-MMG-T is below
http://bit.ly/150yMg0

Purist

Post by Purist »

Rajeshnat.. where have you found Vidhulaku by MMI ? Pl provide link if any, would love to listen

venkatakailasam

Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer
Memorable Concert..

Giving below a Narration of Shri Thiruvengadu Jayaraman, a senior disciple of Madurai Mani Iyer about a Memorable Concert of his master held in Hyderabad during the early fifties....

read it at

http://maduraimani.tripod.com/id10.html

Purist

Post by Purist »

Is there a recording of the Kamboji RTP referred in the above artilce available with anyone?
VKV, Balumni or MKR can throw light.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I have been trying to get it ever since Tiruvengadu Jayaraman talked about it but I have been unsuccessful so far & even T.J. could not remember whether it was recorded. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate any one in Hyderabad or anywhere else who could throw more light on this. VKV

Purist

Post by Purist »

Thanks VKV sir. Disappointed though that recording is not available.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

I think what we have in circulation is perhaps 99 % of recordings. One source not fully tapped is AIR, who "should" have recordings of all great artists from 1940s, but those recordings might be in some dusty cobweb-filled basement room !

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sri Annamalai,
You will be shocked to hear that AIR has erased most of their original recordings by recording over them; MOST of the AIR recordings have been recovered- How I will not go into details here- & are in circulation.Along with several others I have been at it & this recording like many SIGNIFICANT old ones do not exist unless its in the top shelf of old type homes(PARAN?)with THEL (Scorpion? etc many of which I have climbed over the past 50 years. If you know any one with their THATHA who was a collector there is a chance! I feel we have exhausted our search. VKV

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Madurai Mani AYYAR !

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajeshnat ,
MMI had sung Meru Samana , if I remember correct , on three more occasions for which recordings are available with me . Once in a Bombay concert , then in a Pudukottai concert and then again in another AIR concert. Moreover I have a Recording of Meru Samana in a Perambur Concert got from Sri VKV Sir !
I have personally attended some 50 of his concerts and never listened to his rendering of VIDULAKU !

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

BaluMMI sir, dear Rajesh

Is it possible to give me links for the full mEru samAna concert? It is either my mental makeup or I am getting old or I am stuck in the past or it is T or this man has all the reins to my heart. I was talking to my hyper daughter and we were all merry. :-@ Then I saw the file I downloaded from Rajesh and started listening. It quieted me like water poured on boiling milk about to spill over.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Enna Solven ,
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x2kbdw ... %20Concert - this is the link that I have copied from my storage in Mediafire .com for the Perambur concert of MMI .
I am going to this site after a very long time and hope you do not encounter any problem in downloading !

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Many thanks, Balummi! I too am going to download and listen.....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Balu MMI Sir
You said totally 4 merusamAna, one AIR, one perambur, one bombay and one pudukottai. Can we have remaining 2, I am assuming one of which i put up is one of the four (dont know which one). If possible can you put all four in a zip and upload it sir.

All,
With respect to vidulaku in mmg , give me some time - it took me about 2 years to hear all of the concerts that balummi and vkv sir gave me that happened before in 2008 and 2009- my memory is fading there and about 70 concerts are not tagged yet.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Balumni Sir, Is the violin accompanist in Perambur Concert Sri R K Venakatarama Sastry ?

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Purist & Enna Solven, IF I remember right it was V.Govindaswamy Naicker. I notice you are very interested in MMI. It is my life's mission (along with Balummi & Late SSV my concertmate- We never missed a MMI Concert within 500 miles of Madras till I moved to usa in '59) to propagate MMI'S memories thru' his concerts; I have TONS of it I am willing to share. So is balummi I am sure. Write me at vkv@juno.com if you are interested in WHOLE concerts instead of this or that particular composition rendering. Pl mention where you live if possible as it can affect my offer. I live in Los Alamos, NM, USA.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Dear VKV sir, thank you. I have sent you a mail.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Balummi sir, I was able to download and listen to the concert. Thank you. Listened to both versions of mEru samAna again. It is interesting to note that the mridangam is not intrusive at all in any of MMI's concerts (that I have listened to.)

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/jahdtsy ... Samana.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2p6bmqi ... Samana.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2wj5c15 ... Samana.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/yzr2bl9 ... Samana.mp3
Dear Rasikas ,
I have tried hard to upload and send the links as copied above of my storage in Mediafire of MMI's Meru Samana . I actually have 5 different versions of Meru Samana and I had uploaded all of them
and I received a warning from the website host to pay at least 50% of their charges which I did not for obvious reasons.. I do not know whether You will be successful in downloading ! Please let me know.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Thank you sir. I was able to download them.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

RTP in Shanmukhapriya for 6 mins (RPM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-P0VuV8lHI

Regards,
Aditya.

venkatakailasam

Balummi..
Has he ever rendered chatur raga ragamalika...

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Venkata Kailasam ,
To my best knowledge , he had not . In his teens he used to sing in many concerts , never taking up Gana Ragas like Thodi & Khamboji , and always with complicated laya sequences .

My father had attended many of his concerts in Triplicane when GNB was living in our opposite house and his father was the head master of Hindu High School and the Director of Public Instruction for the united

Madras Presidency ( including Andhra , Karnataka & Kerala) was my grand father . In those days , in a particular concert of MMI there were barely 13 rasikas and at the end of the concert , my grand father was the

only audience. Very soon after getting advice from many elders , he choose to sing what the rasikas wanted unlike TM Krishna ,and not what he wanted to sing . Probably from that period onwards , he selected

ragas and kiritis that rasikas wanted and people thronged his concerts . As Sri Krishnaswamy of Seretary , City Sabhas , used to say that whenever Mani Iyer sings in Kapaleeswara temple , there was total traffic

jam and horn speakers were provided even in Mowbarrays road ( present TTK Salai ) !!

pvs

Post by pvs »

Enta bhagyamu! That captures it. I couldn't wait to share this with everyone on the forum.

I'm possessed. I have always been a diehard fan(atic) of MMI and addicted to his music. Every once a while I get hooked onto one of his numbers and can't take my mind off it for days/weeks on end, inexplicably. It was my Bhagyam to rediscover Enta bhagyamu recently. Saranga is one of my favourite ragas and I held Musiri's bhava (Nivada negana) and GNB's exciting speed (Rama ninne) as the ultimate renditions in the raga. Enter MMI and he hits my views out of the park with his rendition, combining both aspects effortlessly. What control over music and masterly communication of the Saint's emotion! (listen to the anupallavi) My late grandfather (a die hard MMI fan himself if ever there was one) who introduced me to his music when I was in my early teens often used to call MMI "A Man of God!" and no wonder his music was/is celestial. Doubtless even for a skeptic like me! My dream is to beg, borrow or steal a copy of EVERY recording of this colossus. Help me if you can. I've attached a copy of this kriti from Rasikapriya here. http://www.mediafire.com/listen/886x3i2 ... Aranga.mp3

Please share your favourites with the rest of us.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear pvs ,
After my posting in these columns in Jan 2014 , for a long period there was no response and hence I discontinued viewing this site . Suddenly just out of curiosity I opened this page and saw your posting . "MMI - A man of God " is an understatement . I am such a fool that I listen to this great master at least 5 hours daily . I have enough of his recordings - nearly 170 concerts of him . My mobile phone , MP3 player , I Mac desktop , sony laptop are all full of this great man's voice! Let me first see whether this posting is seen by you after a pause of 25 days .

pvs

Post by pvs »

Dear Sri. Balummi, Thanks for your very kind reply. I shall be most happy to get more of MMI's music from you. I do remember reading your posts of 'MMI craze' in your younger days in my early days on this forum. I log in often to catch up with latest concert reviews and historical anecdotes. If listening to such music makes one a fool, I will be happy to be 'foolest'!!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear pvs ,
Even as I am replying , I am involved in audio corrections of 1962 Perambur concert of MMI . I am very glad that I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER FOOL OF MMI .
I am ready and happy to give all my collections to you , but do not know how to go about . I have some 4GB uploaded in ( I forgot the name of the site - some fire .com)
Out of this I do not know your requirement . I do not have a list . I am unable to separate the file name from the music! Do you have the Ayodhya Mandapam concert of April 1964 and the above Perambur concert? I shall soon upload the corrected versions and post the link in these columns .

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

The link to the corrected version of Ayodhya Mandapam Concert 1964is https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e999kx ... ncert_1964

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

BaluMMI/vkv sir and few more old timers who heard mmi,
Can we get a list or krithis /pallavis where you all have heard him sing but there is no available recording . I know u all have to squeeze your memory but only you all can do it , i was not even born when mmi lived . I will start with one there.

1. Mukhari - I think mmi has sung ksheenamai but there is no available recordings.

pvs

Post by pvs »

Dear Sri Balummi,
My sincere thanks to your most generous offer to share MMI's music with me. This is like stumbling upon a treasure trove! I have many bits and pieces of MMI's recordings - mostly from Sangeethamshare and others in circulation. I am not sure of the logistics of how I can get the rest from you as I am in Halifax, NS. If you advise me of your location we can find an easier way than uploads/downloads. Thanks very much again for the first installment - I have saved it.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajeshnat,
I was only 20years when MMI passed away in 1968 . I became his fan in 1962 and was in Chennai only for 4 years when MMI was alive . I remember to have listened to his Kedaram composition " Sakalakala Vaaniye " . My aunt Dr. SAK Durga used to say that he began his teaching with Brocheva , a composition of Thyagaraja in Sriranjani! In Karnataka , he used to sing "Krishna Nee Begane " in yamuna Kalyani and ofcourse I have a recording of it. I have seen a review by Kalki of his elaborate singing of Harikhamboji piece "Rama Nannu Brova" .Are you aware that he had once sung Swati Tirunal's Jaya Jaya Padmanabha in Sarasangi ?

cacm

Post by cacm »

From those who should know I was told MMI's repertoire was at least 2000 tho' he did not sing ALL of them in concerts. Some of these recordings are closely held & FOOLISHLY not available to any one else. Another case of our collective inability to SHARE & PRESERVE HISTORY.....VKV

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear pvs
The link to the improved version of Perambur Concert is
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x2kbdw ... ur_Concert .

kapali

Post by kapali »

Recording of MMI 's jaya jaya Padmanabha in Sarasangi is available.

pvs

Post by pvs »

Thanks again Sri Balummi.

@ sri Kapali - please share the Sarasangi if you can. Advance thanks!

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear pvs,
The link to the Sarasangi comp. of Swatitirunal is:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/94iyrpo ... asangi.mp3
The folder link , as done earlier , could not be copied . Hope you would be able to download from this link . If not I shall write down the folder link and post it later.
Last edited by Balummi on 06 May 2014, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

kapali

Post by kapali »

I heard MMI's Sarasangi in my late brother's place a few years ago in his cassettes collection! If I can retrieve it ,I will surely share it.

pvs

Post by pvs »

Dear Sri Balummi, Thanks yet again; when it rains, it pours!

kapali

Post by kapali »

Balummi, our postings at nearly the same time seem to have crossed!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MMI- REMEMBRANCE DAY!8th JUNE 2014 SUNDAY 5-45 TO 8P>M
VENUE VIVEKANANDA HALL P>S HIGH SCHOOL MYLAPORE

EVENT MMIs MUSIC FOR 100 MINUTES+PICURES

MUNCH HIGH TEA!
CONTACT S>VENUGOPALAN CELL 9841313527

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all Madurai Mani Iyer Rasikas for a Musical Evening! Remembering the Great Master on his 46th Anniversary On Sunday, 8th June 2014 At “Vivekananda Hall”, The P.S. High School, R.K.Mutt Road, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. Guest of Honour : Shri Narasaiah (Noted Tamil Writer and a rasika of Mani Iyer) Programme: High tea : 5.45 pm to 6 pm. Welcome Address by Shri Venugopalan followed by Honouring of the Chief Guest 6..05 pm to 7.55 pm : Music of Madurai Mani Iyer Excerpts from various live concerts of the master to be played Along with Visual presentation of Photo Memoirs Contact: esvee45@yahoo.co.in / Call : 9841313527

cacm

Post by cacm »

GOOD LUCK FOR GREAT TIMES! VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

DEAR ALL<
At the outset I thank our VKV SIR and Cleveland SUndaram Sirs for their patronage for any MMI event.It is our fortune that we are a blessed lot.Madam Dr.Narmadha who is always part of all the events related to MMI for long!But I am disappointed MANY of the MADDYS of MMI do not even respond to such posts either S or NO!It is a very sad situation.Further there was an article on Friday the 30th May In the TOI Chennai on the subject Music Past Memories in which stalwarts like Ariyakudi GNB etc were well figured but MMI is ignored!This happens quite a few times!Should we continue to be MUTE and DEAF and DUMB rasikas of perhaps the most beloved MMI our ICON of Music1
On my part I had given a rejoinder for which TOI had also responded positively!Times of India Chennai needs to check and verify before publishing such type of articles at least in future.I am just sharing the experience and once again appeal to ALL the MMI Maddys to attend the June 8th Sunday event to make us come together in MMI memory!

cacm

Post by cacm »

I THANK Venu & a SMALL band of TRUE MMI FANS keeping the memories of the man & his music alive. NOT all the Madras Sabhas or Newspapers can do anything about the IMMORTALITY FOR ALL TIME OF MMI. Its sad that "ORGANISED" MUSIC ESTABLISHMENTS STILL try to MANIPULATE REALITY! VKV :ymapplause: