dance supporting oraganisations in the USA

Classical Dance forms & related music
srinandini

Post by srinandini »

are there any dance supporting organisations in the USA??
what i would like to know is... is there a sabha concept in the States too???

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Very often dance is wrapped up along with music. Most organizations in the US support both dance and music. It is difficult to survive supporting even CM let alone dance by itself, although I know of one organization called Abhinaya in St. Louis which exists solely to support dance. There may be others but fewer in number than those which support music.

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

thank you.. mahakavi. i am a classical dancer and was teaching for almost 5 years before i moved to the USA. i would like to start teaching here too. since i am a dependent visa holder, am i allowed to teach dance...just like a casual class at home???

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

sirnandini:
Please do teach. If you are in an area where there is no other dance teacher, your service will be much appreciated. Pass word of mouth in family gatherings and/or at temple/kutcheri functions. As for the visa I am not sure whether they imposed some restrictions on your work. But even so, you are not going to be working for somebody. I am not an expert on immigration but I would think there may not be a problem if you receive fees for teaching (since those who pay are not going to report to any agency of the government--it is not like babysitting where they would like to take a deduction from their taxes). Good luck!

I am sure you are aware of several dance teachers in places like Chicago (Hema Rajagopalan, Sudha Srinivasan, among others), Cleveland (Sujata Srinivasan..) Ramya Ramanarayan (?0 in New Jersey/Pennsylvania. You may become one among them. If you have a resume please send it to my email address. I will pass it along to the (music cum dance) sabhas I know and if you perform solo there may be some opportunity to perform too.

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

thank you, mahakavi,
and i will definitely send my resume to ur mail id.

gitanjali

Post by gitanjali »

Sri
where are u located presently in US.It would help parents looking for teacher

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

i am based in bay area california

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

srinandini:
There is a dance school in the bay area called Kalalaya or something like that. There is one Kala Iyer who runs it. You may already be knowing about it. If not you may touch base with her at the following email address: kalaiyer1@yahoo.com.
You may be able to join her team if she is willing to take you in.
Last edited by mahakavi on 19 Apr 2007, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.