72 mELakartA songs in hindustani style

Rāga related discussions
Lakshman

72 mELakartA songs in hindustani style

Post by Lakshman »

I was not sure in which category this topic fitted in. Here is the link. If you click on preview all songs at the bottom of the page, you will hear a sampling of all the songs.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sdbatish1

cmlover

Re: 72 mELakartA songs in hindustani style

Post by cmlover »

Experimentally I downloaded Hanumat Todi and listened. There was no shade of Todi as we know it.
If this is the Hindustani style then we are talking about different beasts!

varsha

Post by varsha »

As far as we know, such a work has never before been attempted by a North Indian composer. Such beautiful compositions and style breathes new life into both the Northern and the Southern music traditions.
The person who wrote the sleeve notes has , obviously , not heard of Dinakar Kaikini.
And with the story of Kaikini , lies a carnatic tale ( of fascination shared also by CR Vyas- who has composed a lovely song on MDR )

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

varsha wrote:And with the story of Kaikini , lies a carnatic tale ( of fascination shared also by CR Vyas- who has composed a lovely song on MDR )
Please do share both!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

whenever I see the name varsha and the postings made , I am reminded of Sashidar kulkarni who had left the forum..The style of writing...suggesting a story and inherent knowledge and many more similarities...!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

That was fantastic, thank you! Can you please share some information on this superb vidvAn? With my limted skills, I was able to understand his HM credentials (and how awesome they are) and lineage, but I want to understand how he came to not only compose such kRtis (do such compositions with a well-defined p-ap-c format exist in HM?) but present them in a distict CM style, with nereval and svaras..
varsha wrote:more later
Can't wait... :-)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

In HM the equivalents of p, ap and c are resp. sthAyi, antarA, abhOg.

varsha

Post by varsha »

and many more similarities...!!
Let things be . ( all in good humor ) For
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTdMZj94Xis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPaIA6i_l-U

Mujh Se Mera Kya Rishta Hai Har Ek Rishta Bhool Gaya
Itne Aaine Dekhe Hain Ki Apna Chehra Bhool Gaya

Ab To Yeh Bhi Yaad Nahi Hai Farq Tha Kitna Dono Main
Us Ki Baatein Yaad Raheen Aur Us Ka Lehja Bhool Gaya

Pyasi Dharti Ke Hothon Per Mera Naam Nahi To Kya
Main Woh Baadal Ka Tukda Hoon Jis Ko Dariya Bhool Gaya

Duniya Wale Kuch Bhi Kahein Per Apni To Majboori Hai
Uski Gali Jab Yaad Aayi Hai Ghar Ka Rasta Bhool Gaya

Long Live Amir Khusro !!
WhAT A WORLD IT IS . THE WORLD OF THE POET !!!
Please do share both!
Will do over the weekend .

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEVvx1bfEfw

I have wandered as a fakir in a land quenched by the outpourings of both cm and hm nadayogis. And have stayed fascinated on how similar they are . And yet dissimilar.
My journey passed through a major milestone when I had the opportunity to host this concert of Arijith Mahabalanis.( based in the US) , When I spent a day with him understanding his work of a lifetime . The work of going back on the trail towards the roots , from where the branching would have taken place .
He introduced me to the knowledgeable persons point of view on these matters ( as opposed to my "by-the-ear" opinions)
My appreciation of this class of work improved when he was gracious enough to lend me a copy of a fairly voluminous book of Dinakar Kaikinis compositions - styled very much in the carnatic format .Now in the custody of someone who can appreciate it better than me.
This was much different from the cliched image of a HM practioners opinion of CM . I knew something about the sojourns of the disciples of Ratanjankar - Kaikini , Ginde, Bhatt , CR Vyas and this interaction helped to further my interest .
More later ...
For now rshankar .. you might me interested in listening to
http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindustan ... 00415.html
pl google for soundcloud and dinakar kaikini for yet another piece from a Singapore concert where Kaikini announces his attempt at CM style of composing .

varsha

Post by varsha »

It is a strange experience , passing through these periods of technical innovations , where our world view is changing fast within a life time , several times .
No I am not talking about the world-is-flat theory ( though the word flat does get in when we talk of HM ) .

When I first came to Chennai it was still very orthodox . My upper caste friends would smoke their cigarettes without the butt touching their lips.Or duck into a bylane if they spotted a pakkatha veetu Mami strolling by ... and would help themselves to just a peg of the colored liquid , when attending a HM CONCERT . A queer idea of what HM was about .

Their first reaction to my background in HM listening was a high pitched : Man you should have heard Bhatt and Ginde at SGS Sabha in the 60's . What an interpretation of Jaijaiwanthi !!!Slowly I heard of their Gurus ( SN Ratanjankar) sojourns to Chennai , read about his book on the subject too .
All the while , the image of this group being struck by something in carnatic music kept growing .
Years later , another arist , this time Jitendra Abhisheki , whose musical path did pass through hese lands also came out with an amazing album of Amrithavarshini - sung for more than an hour .
How simple was our world those days . Chiselled into shape by AIR broadcasts and Commercial albums .
Fast forward to 2013 , I attended a concet of Suhas Vyas , son of CR Vyas , yet another disciple of SNR .

And Lo ! he sang his fathers krithi which was a tribute to MDR . Sajjana Guna Gavo ( or Sujana ? I forget ) and the son recalled his fathers wonderful memories of Chennai festival .
And then came this Kaikini krithi sung in Singapore .

All these different strains were wrapped up when we organised the concert of Arijith Mahabalanis ( check for this name and eambalam on youtube - you will get a glorious Yaman Kalyan , Nand , Bahar with nom thom .
I spent a day with artist and remained in awe of the depth of knowledge he had in CM .He even showed me his precious copy of a book of krithis composed by Dinakar Kaikini . I got a copy of this made in the hope that some younger , more endowed mind will look at the fascinating connections.
It stays now with one of our members here who reported back to me that his Carnatic teachers joy knew no bounds when she located a Varnam in these books .One sung by Ginde in Bangalore long long ago .
Folks interested can search on youtube for Ginde - and there are some outstanding tracks uploaded by another Ratanjankar .
One track of Puriya Kalyan tickles my brain endlessly .
That is a fascinating lineage . And that is why I consider Sriram Parasuram , a highly undervalued ( by chennai) artist.
Imagine someone with a linkage to T Viswa and being the disciple of CR Vyas !!!
His national program two weeks ago was a classic in itself . Devoid of the cliched HM attributes that can be traced to NRajams gayaki ang style , or the Parur's A rose-is-a-rose-no-matter-what-you-call-it style , Srirams concert had a southern elegance that could be possible only by cross fertilisations of a musical kind .
Sincerely hope that the Chennai bigwigs do justice to this Artist.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

As usual brilliant narration!

Kindly do not think that this is jallra :-@

varsha

Post by varsha »

It was My pleasure vk. will come up with a haunting version by Ginde .