Carnatic Vocal Gurus in RT Nagar, Hebbal area in Bangalore

To teach and learn Indian classical music
mishram

Post by mishram »

Dear Friends,

We are relocating to Bangalore (Jakkur area). I am looking for a Carnatic Vocal guru in Bangalore(preferably in North bangalore) for my six year old daughter. Any suggestions?

Thanks much

vijay

Post by vijay »

Hi Mishram, I think your best bet would be Malleswaram...Jakkur is a yuppie(puppie?!) kind of place - don't think you'll have much CM in the condo developments that have sprung up around that area...

Not very clued into the music scene in Bangalore otherwise but if you are willing to commute a bit, I think you'll be spoint for choice - hopefully forum members based in bangalore will lead you in the right direction...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

I hope there are some teachers in RT Nagara or BEL areas - Or even Hebbala - Malleshwara is too ...far from Jakkur I think!

-Ramakriya

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

I am from bangalore and my aunt teaches in Malleshwaram. However I will ask my aunt, cousins, relatives if they know anyone in the localities you mentioned. Just send me a reminder email if I dont respond.

Sridevi

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ah, lovely to hear the names Hebbal, Malleswara... Takes me back to those wonderful years spent in good ol' B'lore.

We used to live in Hebbal and later Vayyalikaval (near Malleswaram). Malleswaram is your best bet for CM. It's just past Mekhri circle and Sadashivanagara, not that far really.

If/when I do move back to B'loru, it would be to Jayanagar. I'm sure that area has lots of CM activity?

mishram

Post by mishram »

Thanks folks. I would be delighted if I could find a great teacher in the neighborhood/Malleshwaram. The guru makes a difference!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

jayaram wrote:Ah, lovely to hear the names Hebbal, Malleswara... Takes me back to those wonderful years spent in good ol' B'lore.

We used to live in Hebbal and later Vayyalikaval (near Malleswaram). Malleswaram is your best bet for CM. It's just past Mekhri circle and Sadashivanagara, not that far really.

If/when I do move back to B'loru, it would be to Jayanagar. I'm sure that area has lots of CM activity?
Also me...

The places I was "hanging out". Wish I learnt some music then.

There was also a teacher in the iisc campus teaching vocal and veena. Used to pass by that house to the singing of the kids.

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Suji

I think I know who you are talking about. My dad also worked at the the IISc (altho we never lived on campus) and the teacher you mention is a friend of my mothers and they have played veena together.. ah the name comes to me now. Rajalakshmi Thirunarayan??

Sri

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Rajalakshmi Tirunarayan is aan excellent ariste. Fabulous music, and she looks lovely too- Age has not withered her.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

sridevi wrote:Suji

I think I know who you are talking about. My dad also worked at the the IISc (altho we never lived on campus) and the teacher you mention is a friend of my mothers and they have played veena together.. ah the name comes to me now. Rajalakshmi Thirunarayan??

Sri
Yes Sridevi,
My.. missed something in my life.. I lived only a stones throw away and passed that house 4-6 times a day !!

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

We have a saying in Kannada
"Hithala giDa maddalla"

same thing goes for me.. Although I learnt music from my mom all through my growing years, my interest grew by leaps and bounds after I left home for doing my B.E, and even more when i left the country. ah! better late then never.

Sri

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

sridevi wrote:We have a saying in Kannada
"Hithala giDa maddalla"

same thing goes for me.. Although I learnt music from my mom all through my growing years, my interest grew by leaps and bounds after I left home for doing my B.E, and even more when i left the country. ah! better late then never.

Sri
how true :( ditto sentiments here.

Now I repent for not learning from my mother as much as I could possibly have..

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 16 Feb 2007, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Sridevi, Ramakriya,

Same here... I guess we are all in the same forum for the same reason

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Gosh, it looks like some of us may have even run into each other in B'lore!

I studied at IISc, and yes, we had quite a few CM experts in our midst. The name Thirunarayanan does ring some bells. Was Mr. Thiru at IISc? (I think we had a prof by that name.)

Sridevi - for all you know, your dad may even have taught me! We had a few Iyengars in our dept faculty...

We have to thank mishram for opening this lovely memory lane...

meena

Post by meena »

Folks

pl. lets stick to the topic, and rest u can exchange via emails :) thanks

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

mishram: here's a listing of CM teachers in b'lore. The one in Malleswaram may be the closest for you (at least from this list):
http://www.carnatic.com/www/index.php?w ... c-location
(item 13 - teachers in bangalore)

Plus this addendum to the list:
21) Re:Teachers in Bangalore: N.Sampangi Ram # 179, "SAHANA" 4th Main, A.E.C.S Layout, Sanjaynagar,Bangalore- 94 ph.# 3414363 Speciality-- Mrudangam WH none
Last edited by jayaram on 17 Feb 2007, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

mishram

Post by mishram »

Thank you Jayaram. I am specifically looking for a guru that another member recommends.

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Mishram,

I know of a lady who lives in RT Nagar arear (opp- Sriram White House) and takes classes for youngsters. She herself is a disciple of Vidushi Neela Ramgopal. I have heard her sing in local concerts and she is very good. If you can contact me at sujibal@yahoo.com, I can give you her name, address and phone number.

pallavi.pr

Post by pallavi.pr »

Hi Mishram,

Have you found a good Guru for your daughter?

I am a singer myself and was teaching in Chennai. I am a student of DKP's daughter-in-law. Lalitha Sivakumar. Do let me know if you are interested.

GayathriRao

Post by GayathriRao »

Can anybody please suggest any good carantic vocal teachers in and aroung jayanagar bangalore

Thanks

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

I think Smt Neela Ramagopal stays in Jayanagar area. Will get back if i get more info.

madhurya

Post by madhurya »

Vidushi Rupa Sridhar has her "Ranjani Institute of Music" at 11th cross. Malleswaram.Contact rupa.sridhar@yahoo.co.in

kalancheri

Post by kalancheri »

Hi pallavi.pr

I live in Sanjaynagar and wd like to explore this option for my six and a half year old daughter. If you think it is worth exploring, kindly contact me at prabakarpk@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Kalancheri
pallavi.pr wrote:Hi Mishram,

I am a singer myself and was teaching in Chennai. I am a student of DKP's daughter-in-law. Lalitha Sivakumar. Do let me know if you are interested.

kartik

Post by kartik »

Great to hear that so many people lived in Vyalikaval.
Lived there for 20 years,right opposite the Ramamandir.Was fortunate to hear some great concerts.Once that stands out was by Mandolin Srinivas,in 86 IIRC.He played a brilliant Sunadavinodini and Madhyamavathi.(Rama Katha Sudha) during the Ramanavami celebrations.

yerneni

Post by yerneni »

sridevi wrote:I am from bangalore and my aunt teaches in Malleshwaram. However I will ask my aunt, cousins, relatives if they know anyone in the localities you mentioned. Just send me a reminder email if I dont respond.

Sridevi
hi sridevi!
im put up at iisc rite now and want to start off with my music lessons
please let me know if you know any good teacher in and around
thanks in advance

umag

Post by umag »

Hi, Pallavi,

i stay in Indiranagar and would like to know abbout somebody who teaches carnatic vocal in and around Indiranagar, Thippasandra, Airport Road. You can contact me at ganesh_uma@hotmail.com

Uma

u]
pallavi.pr wrote:Hi Mishram,

jvsubbu

Post by jvsubbu »

Hi Music lovers,

Nice to read your expressions and same is the case with me as well. I sing & am passionate about carnatc music. Due to the typical work life my dream of joinng a class is still a dream... I am looking for a guru in and around JP nagar. Can you help me identifying one??

Thanks.
- Subbu