Why not use qualified Audio Engineers to monitor sound?

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
ksugavanam

Why not use qualified Audio Engineers to monitor sound?

Post by ksugavanam »

With the Music Season in Chennai being an international event, I wonder why the Sabha Secretaries do not take sound seriously and hire qualified audio engineers to set and monitor sound?

I was at NGS yesterday attending Abhishek Raghuram's Kutcheri, and the sound was terrible. The Mic given to Abhishek had such bad pickup that unless he was singing ramrod straight into the Mic, which is impossible, it would not pickup. There were numerous subtle variations that went amiss. The person monitoring the sound increased gain and in the process set off a "feedback" avalanche, prompting the artiste to intervene several times to set it right, all in vain though. Also, the fact that they had only 2 sets of speakers placed on the sides of the stage, made it compulsory to increase their volume in order to reach the audience sitting in the back rows; in the process, it blared on the ears of those sitting in front. I believe the sound was bad on the previous day also, during Sanjay's concert. Added to all these woes, I had a "self-appointed sound engineer" sitting right behind me, finding fault with Abhishek for touching the Mic and disturbing it!!! His wife appeared very impressed with his knowledge, forcing me to move out of that area, lest I blow my lid.

The same problem was there at KGS during TMK's Kutcheri. I was unfortunately seated in the 3rd row centre, and bore the brunt of high volume!!! I had to close my ears during most of the concert!!!

This problem disturbs both the artistes and the audience alike, but it is definitely resolvable. There are many professional audio engineers whose services can be hired during this period, to provide quality sound. Also, there should be additional speakers placed in the centre of the hall, to provide for those sitting in the back. Will our Sabha Secretaries pay heed?

Nick H

Re: Why not use qualified Audio Engineers to monitor sound?

Post by Nick H »

I'm not so sure that there are many such engineers, and those that there are probably have full-time employment.

I would theorise that there are two main reasons why this situation occurs:

1. Cost. Both of sufficient equipment and of properly qualified operators.
2. Power of the incumbent. Who may even be a committee volunteer, and who probably fiercely opposes any interference with his domain.

Your annoying neighbour may have been right about one thing, though. An artist that continually moves the mic, or moves closer/further to it, is giving the engineer an impossible task to keep up. Some of the elders are very guilty of bad mic technique. It is not as if they have suddenly had some baffling new technology put in front of them: it has been a tool of their trade for decades. Then comes the problem that nobody dares to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.

ksugavanam

Post by ksugavanam »

@Nick - I heard Abhishek at both KGS and MA prior to NGS - Abhishek was his usual self at both these places, and yet the Mic's given there picked up everything he had to offer... hence my comment...

There are many audio engineering institutes in Chennai which churn out dozens of engineers every year.. however, it could be true that there aren't many available. My question is has an attempt been made?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

My answer, sadly, is probably not.

I forgot to include in my post a question to you: did you complain?

Actually, I think that, in quite a few halls these days, an better effort is made, but some continue in the same blaring fashion, and rasikas.org carries our annual collective rant on the subject. But I don't think that the Sabha secretaries come here and read these threads. The only action that may be effective is to register your complaint directly with them.

I do not subscribe to the Great British Tradition of treating paid service as if it is some special favour, and never, but never, make a fuss or complain. I've done so noisily and embarrassingly in shops, banks, restaurants. I am not shy about complaining. But, in this instance, I am shy of my lack of language skills: even if (as is probable) the Sabha secretary speaks perfect ENglish, I somehow feel I don't have the right to make my complaint in a foreign language. Most of our rasikas here do not have that problem. Please... Complain!

ksugavanam

Post by ksugavanam »

Will definitely do... both complain and suggest... :-)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Good. Do let us know what responses you get. I suspect that, quite often, you will hear that this is what the artist has asked for, in which case, please suggest that their equipment is incomplete without feedback for the artists, and maybe mention that the concert is for the audience to enjoy; the artist can deafen themselves at home!

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Nick H wrote:Please... Complain!
I'm afraid it will fall on ... ahem ... deaf ears. All puns intended.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Get a group of rasikas if possible when you make complaint, otherwise go alone and lodge your complaint.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If The Hindu critics started laying into them on this, I believe they might feel the sting. But The Hindu critics are probably all deaf anyway ]:) ]:) ]:)

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

ksugavanam wrote:With the Music Season in Chennai being an international event...
Surely, a sprinkling of NRIs and a few webcasts does not transform a motley collection of small-scale music festivals into an International Event?
These days, comparison with Salzburg, Bayreuth, Glyndebourne is common in puff pieces whose authors probably have no idea what goes on at these festivals, the quality, expense, and sheer scale of the productions.
I do not know of any international festivals where amateur performers comfortably outnumber the professionals, where performers pay to perform, where garages, marriage halls, conference rooms, school auditoria, hotels, malls, lawns etc serve as makeshift concert venues.
No kool-aid for me today, thanks... :grin:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, but an absolutely huge "BUT!"

Show me any "international" festival with as many as three thousand performances. Who can match the "sheer scale" of that?

Edinburgh might come close. Never been, but it has a huge "fringe" and I think you might find some of it's venues are just as unconventional as any of Chennai's.