Post by cookmex »

Dear members,
are the beats of this tala: 2+2+2+3 ?

Thanks in advance.

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Re: trishra jhampe

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

???
Surely, if you mean the jhampa talam with the format of laghu-anudrutam-drutam, it should be 3+1+2 where '3' is the laghu (one beat, 2 fingers together making tisra jathi), '1' is the anudrutam, and '2' is the drutam - a total of 6 beats?

Am I missing something? Laya experts, can you clarify?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I don't think you're missing anything --- but I am not an expert.

"beats" can be confusing word, and one that I have had many arguments about. Some would say that there are three beats in the tala structure that you describe, because they use the word to mean the same as clap. To me, this is an utterly confusing and confounding method.

I'm with you, and would say there are six beats.

Anyway.... You are an expert! :$

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

No, no , Nick - I protest - I am no expert at all, and a sinner to boot (do not practise enough) :$

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ha! I bet you knew the structure of jhampa tala without looking it up! :$ :$ :$

:lol:

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

The question by member cookmex is not clear. Whether the member is asking the angas for thisra jhampa or whether he is asking for a tala name with the numbers given below. As member radhika pointed out Thisra Jhampa has one laghu one anudrutam and one drutam making a total to 6 counts per cycle.

something closer to the one that the member has requested is available in 108 Chanda Talas by the name Jhampa which has 2 drutas, 1 anudruta and 1 laghu making the total to 9. 2+2+1+4 is the cycle for this Jhampa Tala. (cookmex member has mentioned 2+2+2+3) In the above tala the final 1 and 4 could be confusing sometimes as one beat and another beat for laghu following in succession and then 3 finger counts making the member to think it as 2 + 3.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Balaji. Very informative. Quite perceptive on your part on how a 2+2+1+4 may be mistaken for 2+2+2+3 !

msakella

Post by msakella »

In fact, the various rhythmical-forms of Arunagirinadhar are also called ‘Chanda-talas’ by some people who do not have the full knowledge of ‘Talaprastara’. That could, somehow, be understood that they are doing so in the absence of the proper knowledge of ‘Talaprastara’. But, this is the first to me to know that not only these various rhythmical forms of Arunagirinadhar the 108 Talas are also called ‘Chanda-talas’. Of course, nowadays, in our country, taking the publishing of a book also as a birth-right, I need not be surprised if an author publishes a book furnishing the 108 Talas as Chanda-talas.

In this thread the brother-member, cookmex, had furnished figures ‘2+2+2+3’ arriving at the total of ‘9’ for his ‘trishra jhampe’.

In fact, Trisra-jhampa has ‘3+1+2’ arriving at the total of ‘6’ as given by our sister-member, Radhika-Rajnarayan and the 85th-tala, Jhampa, among 108-talas also carries the Angas ‘0-0-U-I’ as furnished by our brother-member, mridhangam.

But, I do not understand, in which way a rhythmical-form having ‘0-0-U-I’ (having the value of ‘2+2+1+4=9’ in respect of Chaturashra-jati-jhampa of 108-talas) can ever be mistaken as ‘2+2+2+3’. amsharma

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>But, I do not understand, in which way Chaturashra-jati-jhampa of 108-talas can ever be mistaken as ‘2+2+2+3’.

It was just a speculation on Sri. Balaji's part that someone who does not know clearly the kriyas associated with the various angas may have blurred the anga boundary between the U and I ..

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I didn't know about the other jhampa. Thanks to Mridhangam and Akella sir for clarifying it.

Akella sir, cookmex is not from this country (they're from Mexico) and was only trying to get a point clarified. cookmex didn't claim that 2+2+2+3 is tishrajhampa.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Thank you srikant1987. Yes, he didn't claim but asked for clarification. You are right dear. amsharma