SAD NEWS Demise of Sri Dandamudi Rammohan Rao

Carnatic Musicians
kam

SAD NEWS Demise of Sri Dandamudi Rammohan Rao

Post by kam »

MRIDANGAM MAESTRO SRI DANDAMUDI RAM MOHAN RAO GARU PASSED AWAY YESTERDAY NIGHT.IT IS A GREAT LOSS TO THE FIELD OF CARNATIC MUSIC.MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE.

mahavishnu

Re: SAD NEWS Demise of Sri Dandamudi Rammohan Rao

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences. I have heard several briliant performances of Sri Rammohan Rao accompanying BMK, Nedunuri etc in the 70s.
Great loss.

*Mods, could we please rename this thread and move it to a more appropriate location.

tkb

Re: SAD NEWS

Post by tkb »

sincere condolences to the family, near & dear and rasikas.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Deepest condolences to the bereaved family.
Thanjavooran 01 02 2011

cienu

Post by cienu »

Extremely Sad news.
Sri Rammohan Rao was also amongst the first disciples of the legendary Palani.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Here is a video clip of a tani by Sri Ram Mohan Rao (accompanying Voleti). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpvnblSNa4Y This was uploaded by Sri Rama Varma a couple of months ago. One can see the Pazhani influence on his fingering techniques, nadai development and the wonderful nadam that he was able to produce with the instrument at even low shruthis. He also has the characteristic use of the middle finger to play the "dhin" sound on the valantalai.

Once again my sincere condolences to his wife (also well-trained in mridangam and laya matters) and his family.

Here is the Hindu's report on his demise: http://www.hindu.com/2011/02/01/stories ... 350300.htm

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Seems that the inevitable series of demises have begun. Yes, he was one of the earliest disciples of Palani the great. This explains the use of his middle finger to play the "dhin" or NAM sound on the valantalai and the Palani Bani influence in nadai development as one member pointed out. May His Soul Rest In Peace.

reethigowla48

Post by reethigowla48 »

I just came to know about Dandamudi Sir's sad demise. Very unfortunate.
Actually it was only recently that I heard his thani in youtube (for Voletti) in misrachapu. I was then so much attracted to his unconventional intepretation of misrachapu, which sounded very much akin to Pazhani style. Later I confirmed for myself that he was indeed one of Pazhani's direct disciple.
This was my comment for the youtube video
This is a wonderful thani, which I suppose is in the Pazhani sampradayam. If my memory is not wrong, Dandamudi Garu was Pazhani's disciple.
Very unconventional interpretation of misra chapu. Till the mohrai he doesn't even play the conventional misra chapu(6+4+4 splitting of 14 maathrais); instead he plays the misra nadai (7+7 split of 14), which I think is the mastermind of Pazhani..
Very humbling experience--makes me realize my ignorance about such relatively unkwown geniuses!!

To add: He plays the thisram as 7+7+7 instead of the obvious 3+3+3+3+3+3+3.

To repeat, I am ashamed of myself that I never got an opportunity to listen to this genius or understand his works while he was alive. Just pity the whole Chennai politics and propaganda mechanisms which make famous a selected few of the mridangists (as well as other musicians) while several others from other states like Andhra, Kerala etc remain totally unknown to the world. For example I have seen Palghat Raghu being glorified as someone who 'brilliantl' amalgamated the Tanjore school and Pudukottai school (Of course, I am a great PR fan myself). But I think unless we put in efforts to appreciate people like Dandamudi for playing the authentic Pazhani school in its pristine form and acknowledge their contributions, there is no meaning in glorifying the other mridangists like PR for the re-interpretations and amalgamations of Pazhani school.