Appeal to support the nomination of DRS for the First Annual

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear friends

You must all be aware of the invitation for nominations for the First Annual award by the Sangeethapriya group (yahoo).
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1446
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/

This award is intended to promote composers, sabha organizers and others who serve the cause of Carnatic Music but are not in the limelight.I have chosen to propose the name of our DRS (Dr. SrikAnt KriShNa Murty) for this award of appreciation by the Rasikas at large. You may read the nomination at
http://rapidshare.com/files/4062849/Nomination.doc

Most of us here at the Forum know well about the scholarship and commitment of DRS in the promotion of CM. He is tirelessly investing his time and energy in this regard in spite of his busy career caring for patients as a physician.

I am requesting you to support this nomination by writing to sangeethapriya at
rasikapriya@hotmail.com

(please indicate 'support for the nomination of Srikant').

If there are other contestants the award will be decided by voting by the membership of the Yahoo Group. I am sure many of you are concurrent members of the yahoo group as well.

Kindly keep in mind that the award is primarily in support of service to CM (Composer, sabha activities, promotion of CM etc.,) and not for performance. Your support should highlight the service aspect including teaching, providing information/advice, sharing etc., Of course comments on excellence in scholarship and classicism is equally welcome.

Feel free to address any queries that you may have to me (cmlover@rogers.com).

Thank you.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

An appeal for someone else, who has disappointingly, not been mentioned in a separate sticky thread!

Many people meet a certain person when running onto the Carnatic-Online-World for the first time. He guides new-comers, and fulfilling their lyrics requests, notation requests, general information requests and so on, he will promptly respond, producing results. He has been on these online-carnatic-forums the longest I think, and probably one of the first people to come onto such forums. He has rendered his services to the musical community with neutrality, patience, and dedication. Many musicians have learnt so much from his time, dedication and efforts, and would not be at the stage they are without him. Artists such as S.Sowmya and Sanjay Subrahmanyan have found his degree of effort, both marvellous and inspiring. Being a reserved and calm person, he has seldom (if ever) annoyed anyone he has met, via forums and email. His passive nature in helping people learn and further appreciate music is truely remarkable. His thirst for knowledge, consistent civility and ability and willingness to help anyone that he can, makes him unique from any other nominee. His works, such as his own list of compositions and pages of lyrics he has rewritten for the benefit of others, are some of the other contributions of his that deserve mention too (someone else who can say more about it, may wish to add here)

I think the sheer number of times he has helped a person (especially for newcomers), coupled with the gigantic number of people he has helped, fittingly, puts him in a position to deserve the first Carnatic-Online-Award - to recognise what he has done for the online musical community as a whole, from day 1. I hope, that he will not object, for I insist his nomination be placed this year more than at any other time!!

This person spoken of, is none other than our very own, Lakshman Ragde. If he is nominated, please show your support accordingly.

Thank you.

Note: this award is primarily for people who serve the cause of CM but have not been put in the limelight - how far one wishes to broaden/narrow this criterion, is purely personal choice!
Last edited by Vocalist on 22 Nov 2006, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Nishant!

Our respect and admiration for the services of Sri Lakshman Ragde is no less than anybody else.

I wish you had duly confirmed with him and got his concurrence before posting it hypothetically here! Nor have I seen a proposal in his name elsewhere for you to be taking up space here seeking support for a 'non-existent' proposal.

It is basic courtesy to seek the permission of a person before supporting his candidacy or even asertaining whether he is a contestant.

Maybe you need some lessons on basic etiquette!

Come back after doing your homework!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover,

Your words are really harsh :( and I am very much disappointed.

Every one has the right to have his own opinion, and so does vocalist.

IMO, this is not a contest, where one is fighting the other. So I think the question of Laksman, DRS or anyone else running does not make any sense whatsoever. I think, there is no need for you, or vocalist to obtain the permission of DRS or Lakshman and ask if they want to be 'contestants' - This is not a war or an election.

I request you to edit or remove your post.

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramakriya

Everything requires a proper procedure to be followed. Before nominating a person for an award his permission has to be sought and then a proposal should be made which is formally seconded. If those steps are not followed it will be bedlam and an embarrassment when the concerned person simply denies knowledge of his name being used. I have formally ascertained DRS's concurrence and submitted a formal nomination which has been formally seconded by Sashi KulkarNi. I have announced it here seeking the support of the Forum members in case there is a competition if alternate names were proposed.

Vocalist or yourself have every rigght to propose your own candidate following the due process and then seek the support of the members of this Forum.

I have politely indicated this in my statement and am surprised at your taking offence.

Perhaps you need a lesson on proper democratic procedures as well :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover

I do not want to carry on with this - My only reason for writing my response was because I firmly believe it is not a contest; My taking offence was because of your choice of words (contestant). I don't think either DRS or Lakshman or any other merited people would consider themselves as 'fighting against each other' for this award.

There is no need for me to propose any name, because your pick was my pick too, even before you started this thread. But if others have a different viewpoint, I have no reason to complain. Music is an ocean, and how do I know where all the un-named pearls are hidden?

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 23 Nov 2006, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ramakriya

Try to understand the basics!
This is a contest as much like the selection of a Sangita Kalanidhi in a small way where the names are proposed by a small committee after getting their affirmation. Otherwise why should there be a voting by the membership of the yahoo.gr to decide the awaardee?

I have absolutely no problem with others nominating deserving candidates and there being a formal voting to decide the finalist. Nishant has not even ascertained the wishes of LakShmaN; nor has his name been proposed. Under such circumstances asking others to do so hypothetically; see
I hope, that he will not object, for I insist his nomination be placed this year more than at any other time!! ...

If he is nominated, please show your support accordingly.....
Everybody has a right to his views, but has to follow proper procedures!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I have no reason to complain. Music is an ocean, and how do I know where all the un-named pearls are hidden?
aren't you glad I found one! Let us find others too and glorify them. There is plenty of time. Let us cooperate and work on it constructively and not contestingly :)

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

cmlover,

I am posting this some trepidation.

It is very clear, You are trying to shove your nomination through. Since you are the moderator, you had made it sticky for some reason. If your decsion is the FINAL, and represents the decision of ALL, let there be not be any more discussions.

Lakshman has many many years of dedicated service to Carnatic Music. His work on compling the list of compositions is a seminal work which should have taken many many years of dedicated service.

BTW, there are many,many more in the service of Carnatic music, very quiet and may not be active or even know about rasikasforum.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Come on guys - this is just a nomination. A lot of people can be nominated and then all the members of the Sangeethapriya group will vote on whoever they wish.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Again...disgraceful CML. Even after I warned you of your unprofessional remarks (something I'd imagine you want to avoid) and mishaps at the bboard, along with your urge to interpret what I've said as an offensive towards you, you still don't take care when reading. I hope you can avoid further embarassment. This is my second caution.

Here's your opportunity to re-read everything, to avoid any further embarassment. While I'm tempted to think you do, I'll assume you won't need basic reading and interpretation lessons. I haven't breached any such "democratic" procedure. :)

Good luck!!

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

mohan, what you have said is true, but some people obviously don't have a problem with undue influence. annamalai may be spot on. :(

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

CML

There is no issue if you propose someone directly to sangeethapriya & send personal emails to others for support. But when you post in this forum that too as sticky, you should have asked for comments from other members . That is the democratic way.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

When and where have I said there should not be other nominations. Each and every one of you is free to make your own nominations and democratically seek support. I have just followed the due process and posted my appeal and requested the webmaster to make it sticky and he obliged.

Now Nishant has done quite a mischevous and malicious job. There is already a thread going on about different potential candidates. He could very well have expressed his views therein rather than butting into an appeal and thrusting his views! It is certainly impolite to say the least. I have not used any 'moderator' previleges in making my appeal nor am I thrusting any candidate for you to support. I have made an objective presentation and my proposal can stand on its own merits.

There are a host of folks who render signal service to CM but are not properly recognized. It is not necessary that they be associated with this Forum. In addition to Sri Lakshman, there are Sriram (former webmaster of sangeetham), Dr PP Narayanaswamy (carnatica net), Shivkumar and even you Mohan who are rendering quietly a great service to the propagation and understanding of CM. Do discuss those candidates at the proper thread started by Jayaram and make your nominations and post your request for support. Request the webmaster if you want to make those appeals sticky. Do so instead of intruding into my appeal in support of a candidate who I consider deserves recognition!

I know very well Nishant, that you lack basic manners and I do not want to listen to your rants. If you are serious follow proper procedures and post in the proper threads and also note this is not a place to vent your private feuds!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

rajumds wrote:CML

There is no issue if you propose someone directly to sangeethapriya & send personal emails to others for support. But when you post in this forum that too as sticky, you should have asked for comments from other members . That is the democratic way.
I have done that exactly. I have made my nomination, sent a few emails and also have taken the opprtunity of posting at this Forum (since this Forum is one of the significant beneficiary of the service to CM by DRS) like anybody else. Anybody can make an announcement sticky by requesting the webmaster. I have not interfered with the democratic discussions going on elsewhere.

I cannot understand this ballyhoo while others can do exactly the same and post their own sticky appeals herein instead of accusing me of being undemocratic!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Again to be totally democratic feel free to discuss the specific facts in my nomination which is an open-book and address any queries to me here or through e-mail!

But I would request you not to litter this thread with irrelevant materials!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Dear friends,

Everyone has an equal say here. Please dont start separate threads for nominating each person of your choice, this can serve as the centralized point for nominations. I will desist from voting for anyone in particular since I dont want to be perceived as leaning towards anyone. Another reason is that my views are not uni-pronged, and I wish everyone the best. Please understand DRS, Lakshman etc are not contestants. Dont reduce them into contestants. They dont deserve all this mudslinging.

I was a little bit busy for the last few days. Anyone wanting some thread to be made sticky could have emailed me, if moderators could not be contacted for any reason.

One phrase I have learned from wikipedia is "Assume Good Faith". Let me share this wonderful phrase with all of you. Meditate upon its import. No-one is malevolent by intention. Thanks.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

cmlover wrote:If you are serious follow proper procedures and post in the proper threads!
Once again, no procedure has been breached, and this IS a proper thread. :)
cmlover wrote:I cannot understand this ballyhoo while others can do exactly the same and post their own sticky appeals herein instead of accusing me of being undemocratic!
An objective presentation? Yeah, everyone sincerely believes that...NOT.

Your proposition is littering the General discussions with "Sticky" threads, appealing for various nominees (quite inefficient). Everyone has their point of view.

The "feud" (as you so call it) was not private, but one you publicly ignited at the BBoard. I told you on the bboard that bolding titles of posts over others, just because you think they deserve recognition is not fair. Others think of their posts in the same way, but they do the decent thing, and post it like any other regular discussion. And then you made such a simple, easily resolvable issue, into a personal one, just like you have here, again. You apologised for your mistake, but you still haven't learnt from it, otherwise, why is history repeating itself?

Choosing to throw the blamelight at me is at your own peril, for you chose to lack decency in your reply. There was nothing wrong with my post to begin with, and you seem to be the only person who has any problem with it.

My opinion has been made, in fairness. I will leave it at this.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

well... if such a small issue of nomination to an award can raise so much of heat, no wonder that SK . Padma awards & like create so much of lobbying. let's not spoil the integrity of the forum with this.

i would suggest

1. Every has his own hero. If you want to nominate anyone , please do so by follwing the procedure prescribed by sangeethapriya.

2. You can highlight the contibution of that person to our forum but don't suggest that he is a nominee of this forum.

3. You can post your nominee in this thread as an information. No discussions on the merits of the nominee.

4. Please highlight the method for an interested member can support the nomination.

5. Restrict all further lobbying to personal emails.

There are quite a few members who are doing noble service to CM & all of them are equally deserving.
Last edited by rajumds on 23 Nov 2006, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

cmlover wrote:Again to be totally democratic feel free to discuss the specific facts in my nomination which is an open-book and address any queries to me here or through e-mail!

But I would request you not to litter this thread with irrelevant materials!
Please understand that no one is questioning the correctness of your nomination. DRS is definitely a very very deserving person for this award. There is no need to discuss what you have written in your nomination & no one can throw litter based on your well drafted letter. what i ( & others) objected to was the way it was done. There is already a thread on this topic & you could have announced your nomination & link to your nomination in that thread.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Please...let's take a deep breath and exchange ideas a bit more calmly.

Otherwise I will resuscitate the sahityam thread...! Nah, just kidding! :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Such deserving nominees from the forum, yes, another embellishment for their merits, yes, and all my favorites, yes, awarded by an esteemed organization, yes,
BUT
in our times when there is an award ceremony more or less every day of the year,
to me,
these unsung heroes will remain heroes whether they are awarded this particular meritorious award or not.
We had such fun and pleasure singing of them in verse and words--all praising them in unison and making them realize how special they were to us. Award or not, they are going to continue with their meritorious work--no matter what...
Last edited by arasi on 24 Nov 2006, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

arasi, yes, very true, yes. :)