My Spiritual Quest

History, religion and culture
Nick H

Re: My Spiritual Quest

Post by Nick H »

No, I can't, but if I was to practice...

The fact that I am not religious, in the sense of having to do with god or gods, does not mean that I am a materialist. I grew up with people who could do strange things --- so they were not actually strange to me! :)

My mother was a very accurate psychic (and, in fifty years, my father would still not believe it!). There is no point in cataloguing incidents, most of which I have forgotten, but I'll never forget the day she had to look after a friend who was about to get the news of her husband's death in an accident. My mum knew about it as it happened: the phone rang about an hour later. It's not all party games.

However, speaking of party games: my mum and I used to do thought reading games at parties. We could astonish people when we were on form!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Fascinating!
Of course nothing to do with Religion and God(s)...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

And, as my teacher used to repeatedly tell us: none of this stuff means that you are a better person than anyone who can't do it

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Fascinating Nick, that you could do it. That science article has very specifics about what kind of material they had statistically significant better than even odds but we need not go there, here.

But being rational, have you wondered how that is possible? Just curious if you were curious and what your reconciliation is.
a malayala Tantrist who could make almost exact predictions on lost objects (individuals and animals too!) (மை போட்டு பார்க்கிறது)
Kerala seems to have a whole host of such things... some quite scary stuff, in this domain. I am wondering what all people have heard about, things they have eye witnessed.. That will be quite fascinating.. ( We will split it off into a separate thread if there is enough posts on this topic )

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

As science does not cover it, we enter the realms of belief!

I have sometimes encountered, among the less-well-travelled, the idea that India has a monopoly on astrologers, psychics and so on, which is, of course, not at all the case.

My mridangam teacher has a man who reads thumb prints (and is said to be very accurate too). When I told him that UK has people who can do that too, or tea leaves, or cards, or quite a few things, he was amazed!
some quite scary stuff
There is some scary stuff out there. I'd say that it is mostly to keep the people tame and maintaining the position of the people that do it--- and that "official" religion has its methods of doing the same.

There is also utterly nasty stuff. One reads of children being killed even. I've never had much truck with the word 'evil', but for want of a better...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

There must be a few Sai devotees who may have interesting experiences to share!
Let us keep our discussions at an elevated plane without embarrassing anyone who openly wants to share their views!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, and let us think of the better, rather than the worse things. Not denying they exit, but looking for inspiration, rather than digging for dirt. Just my suggestion --- having introduced a shadow, to return to the light :)

ghariharan

Post by ghariharan »

Look who is looking. Thou shall not find. End of the matter. Beginning of understanding.

http://www.whatneverchanges.com/writings/n110119.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Interesting thoughts!

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Reading about being able to do certain things and thinking that it is so big, I remember reading an incident about Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. Ramakrishna was already quite famous by then. Once another baba or someone like that came to their place. In those days one has to cross the river to reach that place and there used to be boats for the purpose. That man (baba) used to simply walk on the river for the purpose and he never used the boat. The villagers were astonished and might have felt bad that Ramakrishna could not do it. They went to him and told about the same heaping praises on the man. Ramakrishna listened to everything and at the end asked what would they do to cross the river". They replied that they would use the boat. Ramakrishna again asked what would they pay for it. Reply 'some thing like 50 paise (8 annas). For that Ramakrishna said "that means all that the man was doing by walking on the river is worth only that much. why bother about it."