Carnatic Music Songs In Western Notation

To teach and learn Indian classical music
Serge

Carnatic Music Songs In Western Notation

Post by Serge »

Where can i find carnatic ragas written in western scales. then i can play with sax. Serge.Thanks to mail me armand@netcourrier.com .

vasanthakokilam

Re: scales

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Serge: Check here http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12826 for one Varnam notated in western notation by Aananth. You can email him through the forum in case he has notated other songs.

Other than that, the one thing I have seen is some music teachers in the U.S. have notated the initial lessons and some popular carnatic music songs in western notation. I have seen a student having such a book. That was 5 years back and I do not have the details. I am mentioning this in case others have heard of such things and can provide more relevant info. I will also enquire.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

VK

Would you be referring to the book by V.K.Krishnaprasad?

carnatic music in western staff notation

vasanthakokilam

Ramaswamy: Thanks for that link. That is what I had in mind, but the work by Krishnaprasad seems to be very extensive. Does any one have any experience with his books and dvds?

BTW, that web site is badly maintained. There is a typo in the various links in the main body of that web site so none of those links work. But the links at the top work including contact and ordering info. So at least there is a way to get in touch with them.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Carnatic Music Songs In Western Notation

I found the name of the music teacher who published CM songs in western notation. She is Mrs. Indumati Krishnamurty from Houston. Here is the info about her. She had passed away.

http://www.classicalartssocietyhouston. ... uMami.html

"...Her influence on children was remarkable, providing constant encouragement and inspiration for them to learn and perform classical music. “Grandma” was how they called her – and “Grandma” found creative ways to stimulate their interest. Knowing that all children learn to read music in school, she created a series of books of sheet music on Carnatic music – she selected pieces that lent themselves to being performed on Western instruments, and used the keyboard and software to create the sheet music. The result was stunning displays of wonderful orchestral performances from groups of children on various instruments – the violin, the viola, the flute, the saxophone, the keyboard, the bells to name a few. Some of these children went on to use some of these pieces for their UIL competitions and won first places! And she “orchestrated” these performances wherever she went, in cities Houston, Dallas and Chicago. Even with failing health in 2005, she trained two talented 14-year olds to perform on the saxophone, and they held their “arangetram”, full length performance! ...."

I am trying to find out more information and see if that book of western notations is still available. If any of you have more information on this, please share.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I do not know how many know what a talented GENIUS she was.....Sister of the famous RANJAN of movies etc- a great Veena player himself- she was also a "GREAT PAINTER" various media were her specialty. By the way the quote is from the Doyen himself S.Rajam himself!.....I made the PIGRIMAGE to Houston to visit her as I wanted to document one of the most CREATIVE GENIUSES I had come across & wanted to write a book about her. Distance+ my work etc prevented me from that effort. At least Ckeveland Aradhana gave her the best teacher award one year. I wish some one in Houston Area do this; There are umpteen concerts, festivals being arranged by various organisations. I am sorry to say Indians are more occupied with current day popularistic efforts- I include myself in this; not a holier than thou statement but a reflection- but do not have the sense of discrimination to record for posterity the GREAT ONES that live amongst is...The family is very co-operative too......VKV

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

Serge wrote:Where can i find carnatic ragas written in western scales. then i can play with sax. Serge.Thanks to mail me armand@netcourrier.com .
Serge,

The following are available in usual western staff notation from my site.
Caution: These are 'minimal' notations. The scores contain bare-minimal notes of the compositions, with absolutely no marking of gamakams - embellishments/ornaments etc. If you sight read them, they'll sound nowhere near actual acceptable performance of the compositions. (Think of playing some romantic score, sans all expressive markings; this could be much worse). Check the first link, Chalamela, Dharbar Varnam. You can see the score and there's an embedded video of a rendition of the song. You'll know what I mean.

The 72 Raga chart, however might be usable. Those are the basic scales from which everything else derive. I've written first 18 of them so far, all starting on C. feel free to transpose them and improvise.

--

Other Resources:
Book: Ragas of Northern Indian Music, by Alain Danielou - http://books.google.com/books?id=pTRLAAAAYAAJ
This is a fantastic book about Hindustani music, not Carnatic.

Book: VARNAM - Selected Concert Studies for the South Indian Lute, by Emma Te Nijenhuis
http://www.sarasvatibhavan.com/page3.html
... From the same book, a sample page - Sri raga varnam score + audio recording (veena) http://www.sarasvatibhavan.com/music_example.html

sanjeevbabu

Post by sanjeevbabu »

I have posted a few carnatic compositions including varnams,geethams and varishas in the following location. More compositions will be added from time to time.
www.instamojo.com/indiansheetmusic

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the booklet by Indumathi Krishnamurthy & the book by Emme te Nijenhuis. If someone wants the notations in western notations, I can provide them.
The book Oriental Music in Western Notation by A.M.Chinnasami MUdaliar is available at musicresearchlibrary,.net