Arresting Viruthams

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

Re: Arresting Viruthams

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:42 A viruttham is characterized by avoidance of any laya .
I don't think that is accurate. Just like in tAnam which may not adhere to a rhythm, laya is in Sukshma form. You need to have the right proportion in rendition not elongating hrasvas, with freedom in dhIRghas and handling double consonants without harshness. That results in the aesthetic experience.

Pure melody is in a pure AkAram which is difficult to hold for too long, even in an Alapana.

RSR

Post by RSR »

A good 'viruttham' is not atall constrained by beats.
-
As mentioned, it may be a raagamaaliaa viruttham .
-
If it is followed by a song iin the same raagaa of the last stanza of the viruttham, it adds to the harmony of the rendition. as a bonus.
-
As an illustration, we can cite Smt.MS vintage record 78 rpm,
yaamaRintha mozhikaLi lae, beginning with shanmugapriya, followed by mohanam (?) and then chenchurutti.
-
Though it is a second side of the plate, it naturally flows into the lovely song. 'chenthamizh Naadenum poathinile'. in Chenchurutti .
-
(It is tragic that this gem of a poem was not selected as THE anthem of the state, especially as rendered by Smt.MS.
Today, it is rare to hear it )
-----------------------------------------
sometime in 1946.
https://youtu.be/0NvkU_HzndM

https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... ozhikallae (lyrics given and mp4)

yaamaRintha mozhikaLilae
Thamizh mozhi poal ....
---
https://youtu.be/0NTAU_jJvoY
chenthamizh Naadenum poathinilae
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... henthamizh Naadenum-pothinilae (lyrics and mp4)
--
Fittingly, it ends with a short piece in madhyamaavathi
'vaazhiya centhamizh - vaazhka NatRamizhar
vaazhiya bhaaratha maNith thiru Naadu
vandhe maatharam

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

What works for me in Viruttams
1. Arresting words and evocative mood... The context if supplied is great. Should not go on forever.
2. Not run of the mill ragas. I find many singers sing their own fav viruttams. Somewhat repetitive.
3. Surprise raga changes with a great aesthetic sense.
4. Dovetailing nicely into a song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I am with you all the way, Sachi--except with your second point-at least a part of it. Some verses do ask for traditional rAgAs. Or, could I say, they ascertain the weight of the truth which shines in the lines. The concluding lines needn't carry on that mood and can give way to newer rAgAs, once the germ of the idea is conveyed.

One present day musician who is known for his viruthams is Sanjay. I notice that he also has done the following effectively: taking up a verse from the song which usually gets omitted and turning it into a virutham and it works very well. Subramanya Bharathi's 'nittam unai vEnDi' in chakravAkam (the poet specifies the rAgA here as with some of his verses) is prefaced by 'ADugaLum mADugaLum azhagiya pariyum' which is one of the following verses. He also starts pAlinchu kAmAkshi with one of the latter verses as a virutham. Though the order is different, it brings such weight to the emotive quality of a virutham and the song...

GautamTejasGaneshan

Post by GautamTejasGaneshan »

my two paisa here:

@Sachi_R mentioned requiring a "great aesthetic sense"

that is more than i can manage. ;)

nonetheless i've sung a few viruttams, such as they were, and here they are.

@Sachi_R also mentioned "arresting words"

i do think i got that right, fwiw, in my own sweet way

(wh/is the name of a dave brubeck song, btwfyi)

So the first line here, the way it is parsed *at first*
usually gets a laugh and fulfills a 'call-to-attention' function
(singing is a speech act)

But, speaking also of "dovetailing",
actually the complete phrase is, well, quite sincere,
and more pathetic (in the 'paavam' sense) than funny,
but you only get that when the whole thing comes full circle.

As for "the weight of the truth which shines in the lines" (@arasi)

Gosh.

A tall order, but I'm gonna claim a modicum of it here.
See what you think.

Here are seven versions over four years, w/ a variety of accompanists -
twice with flute, and they really make tilang ragam shine:

https://soundcloud.com/gautamtejasganes ... my-reverie

(btw, i can't help retaining the feeling that 'viruttam', like 'shloka',
is being used figuratively or 'metonymically' here to include plenty of things which are *not*
viruttam or shloka, speaking technically or strictly or metrically)

(but after all, who am i? and who cares?
... as i sing, literally, in this viruttam
see? there's the "weight of truth" :lol:

@Sachi_R also observes that singers may have "their own fav viruttams. Somewhat repetitive."

true.

ok, so somewhere in an earlier thread someone mentioned the more limited (some may say more *focused*) repertoire of an earlier generation of musicians, and how consequently the interest for the listener/rasika becomes the subtle variations betw. dates, venues, accompanists.

also true.

seems to me that in the halcyon days before the digital age, you could 'get away' with singing the same thing at every stop, then get back on the train and do it again tomorrow.

and by the way, nothing wrong with that. sometimes 'creativity' is overrated (says the guy who...)
"why are you playing the same note all the time?"
"others are still looking for it, whereas i have found it."

but anyway, as for me, i think there are certainly a few interesting quirks from occasion to occasion,
particularly somewhere in the first one i pulled off some kind of a magic trick in tilang
which i have never been able to reproduce!
(that concert was 4+ hours, and on the solstice, i.e. longest day of the year.
i think we were all in a trance ('melam') by viruttam time...

i suppose you would have to say that overall, though, i did sing this one "somewhat repetitively".

ok so here's another one with true "surprise raga changes", nodding to MDR, heavily
(that's the only way to 'nod' to mdr eh.)

also unique in my repertoire, in that for once i just sing the damn thing as is
(i am speaking loosely. it is in fact *not* a 'damn thing', but the opposite.)

so if you want to hear gautam tejas ganeshan sing some regular stuff,
here's your one and only chance (also w/ flute accompaniment):

https://soundcloud.com/gautamtejasganes ... ava-pujane

(i sang this same one at the musiri chamber concert, btw - same raga progression.
i believe MDR has sung the same thing w/ different ragas too.)

finaly, @shankarank regarding "Pure melody is in a pure AkAram which is difficult to hold for too long, even in an Alapana"

This is *absolutely true*, and I learned it the hard way,
by doing a couple of *years* of concerts of just this -
nothing but akaram the whole time, including "schwakaram",
which is a gautam tejas ganeshan coinage,
'schwa' being the name for one of two special american phonemes,
the other being the "r" which is actually quite like "zh" (see 'murica')

Anyway so called 'pure music' was, in the end, a BIG FLOP, I think,
as if the music needed 'purifying' by me - rather it was/is the other way around.

So eventually, wiser souls prevailed upon me to sing *something* instead of *nothing*,
those wiser souls including my own father,
and also including Warren Senders, who is just about as 'audacious' (@rajeshnat) as me, plus he once told me he grows a majority of his own vegetables, which is commendable in its own right.

All of those schwakaram concerts were with misterdangam, btw, a.k.a. Anantha R. Krishnan.

It was pretty fun, I suppose, for audiences to see how he handled my firehose of nonsense.

(reminder that lyrics & more info are at my website:

https://gautamtejasganeshan.com

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Arasi, I suppose the expression, "run of the mill", can be misleading. I mean that there are some formulaic raga changes I have noticed. The typical sequence would be
Natakurinji-Todi-Hamsanandi-Bageshri-Sindhu Bhairavi kind of formula.

I give up. I am not against any raga. I don't want to feel the viruttam was a "done and dusted" exercise. That's all.

Tejas... I must listen.

RSR

Post by RSR »