Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I notice that you are new! Welcome to the forum! =)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

rajasree: Welcome aboard and enrich this forum by sharing information about concerts in central and south Kerala especially guruvayur(Trichur)/kochi/TVM.

RandallGiles

Post by RandallGiles »

I just now have joined this group. I read a response to a review I wrote for the Hindu of a Madras String Quartet recital last month, and decided I'd like to see what people are thinking in general about the Carnatic Music scene here. So, Hello, all...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

welcome to the forum RandallGiles.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard RandaallGiles

bhamah

Post by bhamah »

Ihave joined today.This forum is quite useful and interesting.
bhamah

gowri narayanan

Post by gowri narayanan »

welcome bhamah,are you the one providing vocal support to Ponnamma Teacher?

KMH

Post by KMH »

Hello, dear Rasikas,

I am Harikrishnan, an ex Indian Army Surgeon now working for the NHS, UK. I was educated about this amazing site by my dear friend Sri Nageswaran. For the last few days, I have done nothing but browse the various discussion forums. What a treasure trove of information and knowledge you all have created! I am blessed to be part of this. I could not help adding a few posts before even introducing myself. Pardon me if I have breached any norms. My only claim to membership of this site is a passionate love for carnatik music, a gift derived from my father who hails from Kalpathy, Palghat, where he had the good fortune of listening to Chembai and other greats having regular informal sessions. I grew up in Delhi, so I have had the pleasure of learning to appreciate hindustani music as well. I hope to imbibe every bit of information posted in these columns by learned rasikas like yourselves. Namaskarams to all.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Harikrishnan [KMH],

Welcome to the treasure trove of the Rasikas.Org Forum.

S.NAGESWARAN.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome Dr. Harikrishnan! We hope you will share your opinions and views as well with us, in addition to reading what's already on here!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Welcome Chandrashekar!

jaychushankar

Post by jaychushankar »

Hi all, I am shankar venkatraman compiler of COLOSSUS OF CARNATIC MUSIC-Life history of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi in english. Earlier my tamil version "Engum Nirai Naadha Brahmam" was released in 2006. This is not exactly the english version but I would prefer to call it an updated version as more interesting anecdotes have been included. The book is available with Mudhra printers right now. Few copies r available with Hamsadhwani office. The cost is Rs.150/- and the entire sale proceeds will b handed over to the SSSM Trust which has undertaken the mammoth task of constructing a manimantapam at Orirukkai village for our Kanchi Paramacharya.
Pl contact my mail:shankar1965@hotmail.com
"Gaanalola" "Kalaimaamani"(prof) Shri N.S.Ramachandran is my mother's maternal uncle and it was thru him that I had the opportunity of meeting MSamma in the early 70s that continued till 2004.
"Sangitha Saagaram Semmangudi" and "Harikatha Chakravarthy" (life history of Embar vijayaraghavachariar) In the past 3 days around 150 books have been sold out !!!
Hara Hara Sankara Jaya Jaya Sankara

jaychushankar

Post by jaychushankar »

The above mentioned Semmangudi and Embar books are in progress and ready for release during Music festival
shankar venkatraman

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome Sri Shankar!

sudha09

Post by sudha09 »

Namaskarams to all.
My name is Sudha and I love music. Have learned music from Sri Alleppey Sreekumar in Trivandrum and now continue the process through self-exploration. I also enjoy listening to Western Classical.
I have been a regular visitor to Rasikas for finding answers for my questions. Now I am officially in!
Wishing everyone well on their musical journey,
Regards,
Sudha

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard! make us richer

cpmadhu

Post by cpmadhu »

This is Madhusudan and I have just joined the forum. I was at the program where Shankar's book on MS was launched and probably the first person to buy this at Hamsadhwani, Indira Nagar. The photos in the book are a real treat and I congratulate Shankar who I note has also recently joined the forum. A must buy for all Rasikas.

balutr

Post by balutr »

Right now I am interested in pulavar keeran's works.I have attended his discourses several times at several places in Tamil Nadu and I have a few cassettes but not all.I would like to have an album of all his discourses. Where will they be available??
TRB

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Balutr, welcome. Unfortunately they will not be available here because we forbid sharing copyrighted albums. Our members will not be able to help you find them anywhere else apart from mentioning shops where you can buy them from.

Shrinidhi

Post by Shrinidhi »

Hi guys this is srinidhi and i jus joined up.This is such an awesome site(too bad i didnt find it earlier).I guess this site has everything related to music rit from A 2 Z.
I am a music lover and i ve been learning carnatic music for maybe 14 years.I ve been under so many gurus . And guys im going to India for a month and can any of you tell some good teacher who takes short term classes?Pls Help.Thankz in advance.

Shrinidhi

Post by Shrinidhi »

Hey 4got 2 tell u im going to Chennai

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hi Shrinidhi, welcome, and especially welcome to Chennai.

Please do not post in SMS! We're too old for it :)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Shrinidhi wrote:I am a music lover and i ve been learning carnatic music for maybe 14 years..
14 years of learning is good for having a short course with in Chennai. Good luck

kharaharapriyajanyam

Post by kharaharapriyajanyam »

In my impatience to partcipate in forum discussons, I forgot to introduce myself. I am kharaharapriyajanyam, a new member

I am not entirely new becuase I have been a guest for more than 1 1/2 yrs.

vasanthakokilam

kharaharapriyajanyam, welcome to the forum.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Now, I didn't go through the introductory rites when I joined the forum less than a year and a half ago, which has adversely affected my feelings...Anyway, better late than never. Ahem...I play the flute as a hobby (I don't perform, though), and I'm here to learn and improve my knowledge of this music. Along the way, I've also enjoyed the arguments and controversies from the sidelines (you won't usually find me involved in a dustup, though Sangeet Rasik once asked me to "Please refrain"; but that was not a musical topic!) :)

I'm a software developer by profession. Daytimes (and till just the other day, nighttimes too), I'm slaving away in a cube inside an MNC at Bangalore, and how I wish things would change for the better :) Nothing like six or seven straight months of project drudgery to make you acutely aware of what's really important in life :(

I'm very thankful for this wonderful forum which the rasika community has created; surely you can't find many virtual congregations like this one. Hope to meet some of the forumites in person someday.

cienu

Post by cienu »

A belated welcome to you Girish :)

You are in elite company. Uday and VK are our "asthana" flautists :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Hey Girish!! belated welcome from a johnny-come-lately)have been in the forum for a little over 4 months- Now for the toiling part,hang on to it--that should be your bread and butter--an interesting anecdote as to How erstwhile veteran musicians felt about Money and Rasikas.

Ariyakudi is considered one of the most fan-friendly musician not only of his times but also before and after. Once in a conversation with Semmangudi, when they were together,Ariyakudi acknowledged a stream of visitors always with so much of civility and deference irrespective of the persons' age, . Semmangudi felt that Iyengarval(as Ariyakudi was known to his contemporaries) was overtly and needlessly obsequious and that does not befit a great artist of his stature and gently admonished him likewise to which Ariyakudi is reported to have replied:
Seenu-- Namma kittte irukkaradu avanukku vendam, Aanal, avan kitte irukkirudu namakku venum

(What WE have(Sangeetham) he does not NEED, but what HE has(Money) We NEED!!!

This should not be interpreted as crass huckstering but a witty insight!!
What has this got to do with your comment about toiling in MNC cubicle!!

Take it from me a veteran--the job however boring it may be,would anyday beat an enachanting concert in a jobless state!!!!

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

"the job however boring it may be,would anyday beat an enachanting concert in a jobless state!!!!"

How true and so well put!

vasanthakokilam

>Seenu-- Namma kittte irukkaradu avanukku vendam, Aanal, avan kitte irukkirudu namakku venum

:lol:. It was probably a riot in their company

>Take it from me a veteran--the job however boring it may be,would anyday beat an enchanting concert in a jobless state!!!!

quite true.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Nice anecdote, Sri MKR.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lovely Sri Ramesh! And in this economy, a job in hand is worth something else altogether.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

MKR
I guess SSI meant 'kuDumi' :)
'namma kuDumi avan kayyile irukku; aanaal avanukku kuDumiyE illiyE' (implying he is paying us!)
:)

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Sri MKR, thank you very much for those wonderful encouraging words of wisdom sir :) Yes, you are right! Definitely, no concert can be completely enchanting in a jobless state :) And thanks to Cienu and others as well for the nice words :)

manilal

Post by manilal »

hai all music lovers,

me from kerala .......a true fan of carnatic music.....intrested in discussions regarding music

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard and enjoy your musical journey and enrich us

the_kasl

Post by the_kasl »

Hi ! I have become a member only yesterday. Was a guest for some time and found this forum very enriching. I love music in general and carnatic music in particular. I hope to enhance my knowledge here.

Happy" melodious" new year to all.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

It's nice to be among a community where members are coming up with interesting and impartial appraisal of music concerts.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

...impartial appraisal of music concerts
Sometimes impartial! :lol:

Welcome to the_kasl and Sivaramakrishnan :)

nvidya

Post by nvidya »

Hi ! Everybody,

This is wonderful website. I keep searching for kritis, notations and details on theory on the net.

I know about carnatic music, though I don't sing too well. The Purandara dasara kritis and

devaranamas which my mother and my aunts used to sing are etched in my mind. Now due to God's

grace my daughter has a nice voice and range and sings and we are happy for her. And due to her my

knowledge in CM has increased. I like many songs - kritis, swarajathis,etc but I love "Bhavayami

Raghuramam" by SSI and "Gangadhara tripura hara " by M S Sheela. I also love Maharajapuram

Santhanam's sweet voice and Prince Verma's Aaj Aaye Shyama Mohana and BMK's ... I think I should

stop as I like so many vocalists, its difficult to choose a few among them. By the way, I also love dear

M S S 's shlokas and Jagadhodharana .... I give up else I will go on for ever. I also like Sudha

raghunathan and Nityashree Mahadevan. I like Bombay sisters" Ninne nammithi Rama --

Simhendramadhyama" ...........................

Nick H , I saw your intro to Western classical. it is good.

I hope I can contribute to the discussions at least like how Watson contributes to Sherlock Holmes'

thinking.

Regards,

Vidya

cienu

Post by cienu »

Welcome Vidya !

Pusha

Post by Pusha »

Watch Sri Sankara TV ... Good Programmes in that .. 1.30 PM watch biodata interview with Jayanthi Kumaresh

R Varadarajan

Post by R Varadarajan »

I am a new member - just joined this wondeful world of music. I like carnatic music although I do not possess much knowledge. I am sure to improve with association with friends in this site

R Varadarajan

Post by R Varadarajan »

Friends,

I am looking for 3 kritis of Shri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar:

1.Amba Nannu Brova - Todi
2.Sri Subramanya namasthe - Kambhoji
3.Avanandri Oru anuvum asaiyadhu - Ragamalika

Can some one suggest whether these are available - In all the CDs available in the market these are not available. Can some one help

I can be reached over email aarvi1948@gmail.com

Thanks
R Varadarajan

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

A warm welcome to you Varadarajan for joining our Rasika community. I am sure we will mutually enjoy your company.

Do post your requests at the "Sahitya Request..' section so that someone can oblige. Also make only one request per post. Again read the sticky thread therein for Sahitya Requests and follow the format. Have a wonderful time.

MV

Post by MV »

Hi,

I am Malathi from New Zealand. I have been busy adding my views in this forum but haven't introduced myself. I am a CA by profession but Carnatic Music kind of runs in the family and in the surroundings where I grew up in Bombay-so have trained formally and informally since I was about 2. Last year I sang 3 concerts in Season and looks like I might manage 5 this year. I also play veena and has always been a toss up whether to stick with vocal or take up veena seriously!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Welcome Malathi.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Malathi Vasudevan (MV) .. please welcome aboard.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

MV

Post by MV »

Thanks Balaji-for all your help!

anamusic

Post by anamusic »

Hello everyone..

I am Anandhi Iyappan. I am currently learning music from Mrs.Akila Shiva. Apart from that, I am also learning from Mr.V.Shankarnarayanan. I am very happy to be a part of this forum as I believe this is one exclusive place to discuss everything about music.