Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard and enrich us all

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

A very warm welcome to you Srividya1 and many thanks to your posting Prof SRJ's lecdem for our entertainment!

jan

Post by jan »

Hello everyone ...

My name is Janani, and I have been learning music for the past 4 yrs from Mrs.Akila Siva This forum seems to be very informative and a great place to get more info on carnatic music.
Last edited by jan on 13 Jan 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Welcome Janani :)

Sridhar Saligram

Post by Sridhar Saligram »

Namaskara to everyone,

This is Sridhar, a learning carnatic Music since past 8 years. though I new abt this website earlier, somehow i had not registered myself to it. Now recently I met one Sanjay's student, she told me more abt this then I realised that I can gain lot of knowledge about Music from you all.

You can always find me whereever kacheri is happening in Blr.

Regards,

Sridhar

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

A warm welcome Sridhar. Enjoy your stay here...

vaishdamu

Post by vaishdamu »

Hi everybody,

Iam a carnatic student. I hv learnt music for 8 years in the past. I hv again started my classes. Iam looking for sarojadalanetri notation sung by M.S. Can some one provide this for me.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard. You should make your request for notation giving song title at Sahitya & identification requests

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

We are not sure where this invitation/posting should go so we parked it here:

Please welcome to a violin-mridangam duet featuring T.N. Krishnan-M.Chandrasekharan-Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman and Tanjavur Upendran performed in "Parvathi" Mysore 1972 http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

It could go in the TNK thread in the Vidwans section, cpblog. And a big thank you to all these rare concerts you're making available to rasikas!

Malathi

Post by Malathi »

Hi everyone... this is Malathi Mohan from Hyderabad. I am an ardent listener of Carnatic Music. I started learning Carnatic Music recently. I could not learn Carnatic Music earlier as I was preoccupied with my hectic work schedules and own business. I am a Mechanical Engineer by profession but now I gave up my profession and started learning Carnatic Music. At first I found it very difficult to cope up with Carnatic Music but with the encouragement and motivation provided by my Guru 'Sangeethacharya' Dr. Vyzarsu Balasubrahmanyam Garu (of Hyderabad), I feel comfortable now.

Dr. Vyzarsu Balsubrahmanyam garu is not only a very good teacher but also a musician, musicologist and also a Composer. He has published several books on Carnatic Music and he has recently released a Bi-lingual, Quarterly magazine 'PRANAVAM".

His recent music album " BROVAVAMMA ... Rare Classics of Syama Sastry" is excellent. He has a mellifluous and gifted voice and his renderings communicate clarity of Sahitya and accurate bhava. One can listen to the clippings of this album on YouTube by following links http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThVcfBnk2M and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CGkwrOjI-I . Apart from this, he has also composed music for the Fusion music album "SAMHITHA" which is worth listening.

As a listener of Carnatic Music, I miss Sruthi - WorldSpace Radio.. Any one can help me with finding alternative 24X7 Carnatic Music radio channel?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard Malathi and wish you a long enjoyable CM journey

Prasanna TheFantasy

Post by Prasanna TheFantasy »

Hi everybody, This is Prasanna. I would like to get the complete lyrics of Sadhasiva Brahmendrar's Bruhi mukundethi kirthana. If you have the lyrics kindly post a reply for this.

This krithi is to be given in our Sadhasiva Brahmendra Sabha Trust's Brochures and pamphlets. Please help me with this.

Thanks in advance,

Prasanna

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

It is available here: http://www.karnatik.com/c1364.shtml
Rendition: http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... 504&T=5266

Please make lyrics request in Sahitya section.
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 29 Jan 2010, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

madhups

Post by madhups »

Dear friends,
Hai good morning everybody.
I am madhups. I am very glad to inform you that this is very
good database at its best.So amazing about the very good subjects about Karnataka sangeetham.

Thanking You
Wish you all best of luck....
Have a nice day
Madhupadmasanan

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Enrich us!

Preetvardhan

Post by Preetvardhan »

Hi I am relatively new to this forum.

Can anyone upload SRIRANGAM GOPALARATHNAM'S - Mahima Dakkinchu - Rishabhapriya and Marivere - Lathangi.

Thanks,

Preet

smala

Post by smala »

Like Malati from New Zealand, another laggard here busy on rasikas posting trifles on this or that, at times playing dodgeball with some kicks aimed at the shin...now hopefully situated on the path of making up for the sins of omission and commission. My gripes in my tender years when Carnatic poured out of the radio - vinyl was the treasure of a privileged few ! - was that the words were a "kozhapal" and that I understood zilch. Marconi was not to be taken lightly though, the pet boombox continued to fill the ears, intelligible or not, sometimes offering lilting relief through vividh bharthi or ilankai oli virappu or the its Hindi arm defining visions of a dreamlike romance via a Madhubala or a Geeta Dutt, those were the days. Decades since, the pangs set in when the gray chooses to visit, a little casually at first, then more boldly, the standard environmentally engineered American response is to take to the bottle, you know which. Kala does not stop her tracks, nor her ravages and the pangs turn into angst for the sins revisit in flashbacks, of omission and commission in failing parents, and then you arrive at the Aha! experience... better to die trying, than not. New vistas through visual displays invade your privacy big time, bombarding your innards with music, while hardly working and then the compassionate Lakshmans make words appear before songs, the brain now has poor reason to dismiss it as unintelligible, even while tone or raga deaf. Throw in some merry Jeeves that can decode and the grappling becomes a trifle less scary...a late-bloomer's trail might not blaze but it might just be.

with obeisances, shyamala

ragam-talam

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by ragam-talam »

Shyamala, love your writing - both form and content.
Do share with us your thoughts and wisdom.

And...welcome aboard!

maya

Post by maya »

hello all,
i am a new member. Also we are manufacturing electronic(digital) tamburas ranging from 1500/- to 4500/-.you can visit our website www.mayatronics.com. the last model has fine tuning for all 4 notes(pa/ma/ni,sa1,sa2 and sa3). with digital display

sankar

Post by sankar »

Thank you. I am glad to become a part of this wonderful community of cm rasikas.

james12

Post by james12 »

Hello,
Thanks dear... I have joined today only....

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard maya/sankar/james12 - wish you all a long and happy musical journey and enrich us all

sreecons

Post by sreecons »

Hello - I've been browsing this forum for years and finally got the courage to join as a member last year. I enjoy listening to carnatic music but not very knowledgeable. . . so its a fantastic learning opportunity for me.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard and good decision to join this august forum.

nrityasudha

Post by nrityasudha »

Hello everyone. I am Nritya Sudha, happy to join you all on board just as a rasika. I was part of the Cleveland Aradhana recently and must say it was such a lovely experience to see respected, and knowlegrable artists mix and mingle with the young and upcoming sadhakas of the future. The whole ambience was one of sharing, caring, and learning. I was happy to meet the organizers behind this amazing project who year to year have carried on this labour of love. They were most hospitable and cheerfully attended to various tasks to bring the arts to the lucky few who were able to make it. I believe there were over 8000 attendees. How awesome. I want to take this oppotunity to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone who made this possible. Bless you all.

cienu

Post by cienu »

welcome to the forum nrityasudha :)

nataraja iyer

Post by nataraja iyer »

Dear Rasikas,
Let me introduce myself as Nataraja Iyer from chennai. Am an avid carnatic music lover and am attending concerts for the past 55 years.. I had the rare fortune of learning from Semmangudi mama himself for a couple of years or so in trivandrum where i did my schooling and he was the then principal of the "Swathi Thirunal Music college".. I have been reading reviews in this forum for a long time and finally got to registered now. Looking forward to interact with you all.

Natarajan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Welcome shri natarajan. With you learning from the doyen semmangudi you may have a lot to share especially with that school of vidwans like semmangudi, TMT ,kalakkAd ,parassala ponnammAl etal.. you can go to each vidwan and vidushis thread and possibly share your anecdotes in that specific thread. Presently we have reached a fairly steady state as possibly all anecdotes are already shared, you can revitalize those threads of those great vidwans.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Yes, indeed. We look forward to your reminiscences with the greats.

Rajesh - who is kalakkAd? Is it Kalakkad Ramanarayana Iyer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalakkad_S ... ayana_Iyer

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Kalakkad Ramanarayana Iyer was a great musician Few of us know that he acted in the film'Bhakta Ramadass, His song in that film ' RAMAN AZHAIKKIRAN POI VARUGIREN SANCHALAM VIDUVERE 'in raaga kamaas was very famous . In the olden days A I R, Madras and Tiruchi used to play the song in the 'NEYAR VIRUPPAM programme gobilalitha

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welcome Nataraja Iyer. There are lots of ears for SSI stories especially from Trivandrum! Shoot!
Yes GBL! KaLakkAD was a musical giant indeed! I used to be glued to his AIR broadcasts...

varadharajan

Post by varadharajan »

Hello all, this is Varadharajan from delhi. Sri.Natarajan it is a pleasure meeting you in virtual space, as i had also learnt from semmangudi mama in trivandrum from 1951-1954. Its a shame that i do not know you,as mama was teaching many students privately in his house and there is a strong possibility that you may learnt from him after 1954, as we had shifted to chennai by then. I have written to you personally and would love to interact with you sir.
Dear rasikas, Am a retired officer from the CPWD. My grand daughter told me about this forum and i would love to share my experiences with you all..

Varadharajan.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard Varadarajan and enrich us all

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Most welcome Varadarajan! We love to hear from you especially the early days of SSI at the Swathi Academy. Thanks

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ragam-talam wrote:
Rajesh - who is kalakkAd? Is it Kalakkad Ramanarayana Iyer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalakkad_S ... ayana_Iyer
RT,
I slipped instead of KR kedArnathan I mentioned wrongly as kalakkAd. I am not sure if kalakkAd ramanarayana iyer is connected to semmangudi mAmA

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Rajeshnat: As far as I know Kalakkad Ramanarayana Iyer is NOT a disciple of Semangudi mama. I think Kalakad has given a record Ramaa Ninne in Narayani ragam. Also I am not sure if this Kalakkad is from Tirunelveli District or from Tanjore district. TN historians please help!!

Welcome Mr. Varadarajan -look forward to hearing of your days at the Swathi Academy in TVM. I will be shortly posting my reminiscences about Semmangudi Mama and I would love to see you join the fray

CM Lover,I am not teasing--the first post a long one on a separate thread that I thought I started namely The Semmangudi Saga got lost in cyberspace and the admin despite his best efforts could not retrieve it!!

I shall resume the same soon!!.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thank you MKR. You have a team form TVM that will join you....
Start a new thread.

varadharajan

Post by varadharajan »

Dear Rasikas, many thanks for the warm welcome accorded. Sri.M.K.Ramasubramanian, did you also happen to learn from semmangudi mama?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Varadarajan: Answer to your question is NO!! But I am a life-long fan and admirer of Mama not only for his Music but also as a great statesman,visionary for whom the musical canvas was not broad enough!!!
I shall soon start this under the Vidwans/Vidushis topic(under SSI). This has taken one of the longest gestation periods because I want to write about Mama from a unique perspective from my association with Mama over 6 decades .

Look forward to your comments/experiences.,as well.

arasi

Post by arasi »

MKR,
Great! Looking forward to your (bound to be) a fascinating account ;)

varadharajan,
Welcome to the forum!
MKR's life intertwined with that of SSI over a long period of time. He has had the fortune of being part of the MS-Sadasivam family which included friends as well. MKR's anecdotes about this association are something you should read. Now you would know why we are all excited. There is so much he can share with us all about SSI.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi has given a quick intro
The team is ready
We are all ears and eyes too (if supplemented by rare pictures!}

yogambala

Post by yogambala »

Looking forward to the discussion on mama.
That is really music to all our ears
Thanks

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Prof. V.Mahalingam

Hearty welcome to this exciting forum!
With your years of experience as Secretary of Bhairavi Carnatic Music Circle, Puducherry, you may love to share your experiences with all of us. We are eager to hear from you.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Hi folks! Remember me? The mysterious srinivasrgvn. Sorry for my abrupt departure. But now I have arrived and I shall be staying hopefully. I'm as good as a new member now. So, please allow me to participate in your discussions from now on!

arasi

Post by arasi »

A warm and a big welcome to you, Srini!
We missed you all these months. Hopefully you can bring us back your riveting tale of the music competition along with your valuable input.
Would like to hear more of your vINA playing too.
I bet many others on the forum are happy to have you back too ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

How can we forget you! Of course we missed you! Now you can start from where you left off or start a new series...
A heart-warming welcome...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srinivasrgvn wrote:Hi folks! Remember me? The mysterious srinivasrgvn. Sorry for my abrupt departure. But now I have arrived and I shall be staying hopefully. I'm as good as a new member now. So, please allow me to participate in your discussions from now on!
After 3 days of absence and crossing lot of iDling iDli posts , nice to see srinivasrgvn back at the forum. Your friend Shreya has just given a concert in rAgasudhA hall ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
When did 'you' get interested in writing fiction--call-a-spade-a-spade man--by giving ideas to srini for the next installment? :lol:
Yes, we are all looking forward to new episodes of the continuing story, or even a new one. No pressure, srini, take your time!
Yes Rajesh, your three day absence meant you had to swallow a mound of idlis and more! Let's not bring up the subject of rasam ;)
This has been a good week. Two of our active rasikAs are back--Punarvasu and srini ;)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

srinivasrgvn and Punarvasu - both of you will again enrich this forum