Gopalakrishna Bharathi

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
arasi

Post by arasi »

Interesting. If thamizh thAththA himself had spelt it out, we can heave a sigh of relief. It is like painting villains and vamps to the nth degree in modern films, I suppose. Then again, for presenting nandan's great bhakthi convincingly--after all, devotion is an abstract feeling, difficult to present to an audience--he created the vEdiyar character, I suppose...

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

baboosh:
I was giving the meaning for the song "pittam teLiya.." and to answer ninjathegreat's query about the pallavi line's meaning, I gave the explanation by citing these two lines in the song that nandan is addressing this to his landlord. Period.

In another thread "sEkkizhAr's periya purANam" that I started in this forum I mentioned that the vEdiyar is a concoction by GKB and that sEkkizhAr never mentioned the existence of the vEdiyar. sEkkizhAr attributed all the agony of nandanAr to his low birth status and that nandan considered himself undeserving to visit the temple precincts in view of his "lowly" status.

I am not saying GKB's mention of the vEdiyar vis-a-vis nandanAr is proof of discrimination against paRaiyar kulam. Now, please don't tell me that there was no maltreatment of the harijans either before, during, or after GKB's period. Even now dalits are mistreated all over India, not necessarily by the brahmins but others as well. GKB used the cast of the vEdiyar to depict such a situation and to take a dig at the brahmin community which was unkind to him for his activities including doing upanyasams on tirunIlakanTa nAyanAr(?).

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2261

Read post #6
Last edited by mahakavi on 10 Apr 2007, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

mahakavi wrote:baboosh:
I was giving the meaning for the song "pittam teLiya.." and to answer ninjathegreat's query about the pallavi line's meaning, I gave the explanation by citing these two lines in the song that nandan is addressing this to his landlord. Period.

In another thread "sEkkizhAr's periya purANam" that I started in this forum I mentioned that the vEdiyar is a concoction by GKB and that sEkkizhAr never mentioned the existence of the vEdiyar. sEkkizhAr attributed all the agony of nandanAr to his low birth status and that nandan considered himself undeserving to visit the temple precincts in view of his "lowly" status.

I am not saying GKB's mention of the vEdiyar vis-a-vis nandanAr is proof of discrimination against paRaiyar kulam. Now, please don't tell me that there was no maltreatment of the harijans either before, during, or after GKB's period. Even now dalits are mistreated all over India, not necessarily by the brahmins but others as well. GKB used the cast of the vEdiyar to depict such a situation and to take a dig at the brahmin community which was unkind to him for his activities including doing upanyasams on tirunIlakanTa nAyanAr(?).It is not my view that there was never a suppression,but it was due to situations prevalent due to social conditions which was manipulated to the hilt by the British and congress party later.True there wa suppression,but the order of the day will not fit in current social practices

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2261

Read post #6

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Back to the topic. I have found only a few recordings that really have the bhava, the feeling that is intended. of course, "satre vilagi" and "varughalamo" by MDR top the list; "varughalamo" by KVN comes next; "pitham teliya" by alathur brother, and "varuvaro varam taruvaro" by SSI.

Of course there have been recordings by others, but none of them have that emotion induiced by the above recordings in my opinion...

How about other GKB krithis? Classic, of course, is "sabApathikku vEru devam samAnamAgumA" in abhOgi...

Cheers
N.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

My favorites are:
saRRe vilagi by Sanjay Subramaniam

The following by Smt. MSS:
tiruvaDi SaraNam
ADum cidambaramO
ennEramum undan
sabhApatikku

irakkam varAmal TMK

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

have heard a lovely enneramum undan from KVN

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I think Sanjay has done justice to the masters by singing them all emotively in his CD Thillai.
The very first time I heard him, he sang sabhApathikku and the way he phrased samAnamAgumA? impressed me no end (of course, he also reminded me of KVN)...
Last edited by arasi on 13 Apr 2007, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

ah! I was being specific about nandanar charithram. Talking about all of GKB's compositions, here goes (listing only non-nandanar charithiram):

Sabhapathikku - KVN, MDR
a melting irakkam varAmal - KVN
eppo varuvaro, stupendously delivered by the incomparable MMI
tiruvADi charaNam - KVN, MMI, DKP
of course, kanaka sabhai - MDR
dikku theriyAdA kaTTil - GNB

Actuallly one more Nandanar I have is

chidambaram pogamal - S V Subbiah Bhagavathar

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Lji,

Can you post the lyrics of chidambaram pogamal? this is all I have:

chidambaram pOgAmal. rAgA: shenjuruTTi. Adi tAlA.

P: chidambaram pOgAmal iruppEnO intha janmathai veeNAkki kashippEnO nAn
A: Ashaiyum nEshamum AnandamangE vEshalum parATTalum vidatharumingE
C: bhaktiyum manamum porudinadangE sathiyam sonnen shadalamumingE

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

ninjathegreat wrote:ah! I was being specific about nandanar charithram. Talking about all of GKB's compositions, here goes (listing only non-nandanar charithiram):

dikku theriyAdA kaTTil - GNB
dikku teriyAda kATTil is by Subramanya Bharathi.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

The version I have is:

chidambaram pOgAmal. rAgA: shenjuruTTi. Adi tAlA.

P: cidambaram pOgAmal iruppEnO nAn janmattai vINAkkik keDuppEnO nAn
C: bhaktiyum manamum porundinadangE
sattiyam sonnEn saDalamum ingE
Asaiyum nEsamum Anandam angE
pEsalum pAsamum pidaRRalum ingE

The above is from Lakshmi Poduval's book of GKB's kritis. I am not sure how authentic the text is. I have found errors before in her compilation.
Last edited by mahakavi on 13 Apr 2007, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

porudina?

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

sorry, it is "porundinadangE". I corrected it now.

Meaning: bhakti and my mind fit in (belong) very well there (in cidambaram).

I now realize what happened. I copied ninja's text and pasted and then made the corrections. That word slipped out from under my eyes!
Last edited by mahakavi on 13 Apr 2007, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I thought too that porundinadu was poruththamAnadu (apt).

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

It would be nice, as I stated in the beginning of this thread, if we could go through each of his krithis and translate them... What say?

To start with the great one's blessings:

sabhApatikku vEru deivam - AbhOgi rAgam - rUpaka tALam

P: sabhApatikku vERu deivam samAnamAgumA tillai
A: krupAnidhi ivaraippOla kidaikkumO inda tAraNi tanilE
C: oru taram shivacidambaram enRu uraittAl pOdumE
paragatikku vERu puNyam paNNa vENDumA
ariya pulaiyar mUvar pAdam aDaintAr enRE purANam
aRindu sollakkETTOm gOpAlakrishNan pAdum tillai

Cheers
N.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

btw, svs bhagavathar sings the ashaiyum neshamum line in chidambaram pogamal as anupallavi...

meena

Post by meena »

ninja

I say....the meaning is on the net :) Pl. do lookup.

somianedungadi

Post by somianedungadi »

Nandanar Charitham is a story about a dalit farm worker and a temple servant of 8th cen, whose only ambition in life was to enter the Siva temple at Chidambaram in order to enjoy the beauty of Nataraja 'The Cosmic dancer'. This opera explains the composers life itself. Nandanar was bharathis inspiration and this brought forth the magnificent musical opera on Nandanar. every song of pathos in the opera can be extended to the life of bharathi too. if Nandanar was absorbed by the cosmic dancer, bharathi too reached silently to the feet of Lord Siva on the sacred day- Mahasivaratri.
The kirthana varighalaamo..in manchi raga, adi tala contains all the pathos, all the accumulated recollection of insult and rejection of a farm servant , a devotee of lord siva, born in the lowest of low communities, who lives in an environment of absolute neglect in a slum and who later attains mukthi at the feet of Lord Siva. Varighalaamo... is a haunting phrase which moves the most hardened heart of the so called superior. This kirthana had been dancers delight and musicians paradise to present its multiple bhava. Ganesh kumaresh has given a vocal recital of this piece, it really touches our heart.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

meena wrote:ninja

I say....the meaning is on the net :) Pl. do lookup.
er.. bloop... :)

ok, I revert back to chidambaram pogamal. There seems to be some differences b/w mahakavi's version and the version I transcribed from SVS bhagavathar's singing.

the pallavi line:

cidambaram pOgAmal iruppEnO nAn janmattai vINAkkik keDuppEnO nAn

seems to be repetitive on 'nAn'...

What does 'pesalum' mean?

I do agree that all the other line fit the charanam....

how about the lyrics for "ayye metthakkadinam"?

cheers
N.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I take "pEsal" as (idle) talk while "pidaRRal" is meaningless prattle.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

"pEsalum pAsamum pidaRRalum ingE" = "idle talk, affection and meaningless prattle here" ?
Last edited by ninjathegreat on 14 Apr 2007, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

NO. pAsam does not mean affection in this context. GKB means "attachment" i.e., to worldly things. He compares here vs there.

Desire (Asai), affection (nEsam), and bliss (Anandam) there
idle talk, attachment, and babble -- here.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ayyE mettakkaDinam. rAgA: punnAgavarALi. Adi tALA.

P: ayyE mettakkaDinam umakkaDimai ayyE mettakkaDinam
A: poyyAda ponnambalattaiyA-yirukkumiDam
naiyAda manidarkku uyyAdu kaNDu koLLum
C1: bAlakrSNan paNindiDum shIla guru cidambaram mElE vaitta AshaiyAlE
kAlanaTrup-pOvadenru shAttiram nalla kSettiram sad-pAttiram jnAna nEttiram
koNDu vAshiyAlE mUlakkanal vIshiyE shuzhanru varap-pUjai paNNIp-paNindiDu
mAsharak-kuNDaliyai viTTu manamUTTumE mElOTTumE vazhi kATTumE inda
mAnAbhimAnam viTTu tAnAgi ninravarkku sEnAdhipati pOlE jnAnAdhipatiyuNDu
2: pArumE kaTTikkArumE uLLE shErumE adu pUrumE angE shangaiyaravE
ninru pongi varum pAluNDu angam iLaippArikkONDu tanga bommai pOlavE
nillumE Edum shollumE jnAnam shollumE yAdum vellumE inda
3: aTTAngam paNNinAlum neTTAngu paNNiyadu kiTTAdu kiTTI
varavoTTAdu muTTiyadu pAyumE munai tEyumE adu vOyumE uLLE tOyumE
vEda mantirttilE pOTTu yantirattilE pArkkum tantirattilEyum illai andarattilE
avadAnamE adu dAnamE balahInamE pEshA mOnamE anda muppzhum tANDi
vandu appAlE ninravarkku ipparvai kiDaiyAdu tiru naTanam AduvAr tALam
pODUvAr anbar kUDuvAr ishai pADuvAr idai kaNDArum kiDaiyAdu viNDArum
shonnadillai ANDANDa kOTiyellAm onrAi
shamaindirukkum allavO paraiyan shollavO angE shellavO nEramAgudallavO

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Lji, thanks!

What a beautiful song! perfectly suited to punnagavarali! Though the movie nandanar does not give us the whole lyrics as posted, it gives an idea of what emotion GKB was trying to portray when he wrote this song...

meanings? I am ashamed to say this, but a lot of the words, I cannot make out the meaning.... (ashamed that I am tamil and cannot understand tamil :()

cheers
Ninja

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Attempt at meaning to Cidambaram pOgAmal

P: Can I be withour going to Chidambaram? Will I spoil my life so?
C: devotion and mind fit like a glove there
I tell the truth, causing confusion here
desire, affection and bliss there
idle talk, material attachment and babble here.

mahakavi, are you sure this is complete? GKB's mudram is missing...

Cheers, Ninja

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Pretty much! GKB did not have his mudra in many of his kritis, especially so in nandanAr caritram.
couple of changes:
saDalam means inanimate matter (what we call jaDam/jaTam).
salanam means confusion.

nandanAr compares the glory of cidamabaram to the decrepit situation that he sees in everyday life in his village.
Last edited by mahakavi on 14 Apr 2007, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

ninjathegreat wrote:Lji, thanks!

What a beautiful song! perfectly suited to punnagavarali! Though the movie nandanar does not give us the whole lyrics as posted, it gives an idea of what emotion GKB was trying to portray when he wrote this song...

meanings? I am ashamed to say this, but a lot of the words, I cannot make out the meaning.... (ashamed that I am tamil and cannot understand tamil :()

cheers
Ninja
ninja:
No need to feel ashamed. This kriti has a lot of bombastic words like a kaleidoscope throwing different colors when you juggle them. Many of the words are Sanskrit too, incorporating the maNipravALam style.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

any one attempted at the meaning for "ayyE mettakaDinam" yet?

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Searching for GKB Tamil compositions-I got this link. Though, they provided the Tamil Link, I could not get the tamil version. Can any one help me ? (or any other tamil link ! )

http://www.shaivam.org/siddomain/sta_gkb_r.htm

Interesting reference was made by Sri.Embar, on Nandanar Charitram-Subect- Nandhi moving to allow Nandanar to have darshan of Shiva in Tiruppungur-(near Sirkazhi)

"After a long discussion between Nandhi and Shiva on the eligibility (!) of Nandanar to have darshan, Nandhi decided to move to Its right for Nandanar to have darshan from Theradi ("Paavi Ezhai Naan" is the song-Nandanar sings before his request to shiva to order Nandhi to move). The beauty, here, is-the Dwarabhalakar moves Its head to the right to see, whether Nandhi has moved". Sri.Embar has also added that Even today we can see the Dwarabhalakar's head moved to its right to confirm this incident..

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

ninjathegreat:
Do you still want "ayyE mettak kaDinam" translated? I shall do so if you post the lyrics here.

grsastrigal:

At the site you indicated there is a Tamil TSCII version link. If you install the TSCII font you will be able to read the Thamizh script. Sometimes they all appear as question marks. If that happens the only alternative is to type in the Roman script version into arunk's transliteration testbed and get it translated in Thamizh. If you need one or two Thamizh kritis of GKB in Thamizh script, please specify. I can help.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Mahakavi,

That would be splendid!! thanks!! Lji had posted the lyrics here in the previous page, repeated below for you...

Cheers
Ninja

Lakshman wrote:ayyE mettakkaDinam. rAgA: punnAgavarALi. Adi tALA.

P: ayyE mettakkaDinam umakkaDimai ayyE mettakkaDinam
A: poyyAda ponnambalattaiyA-yirukkumiDam
naiyAda manidarkku uyyAdu kaNDu koLLum
C1: bAlakrSNan paNindiDum shIla guru cidambaram mElE vaitta AshaiyAlE
kAlanaTrup-pOvadenru shAttiram nalla kSettiram sad-pAttiram jnAna nEttiram
koNDu vAshiyAlE mUlakkanal vIshiyE shuzhanru varap-pUjai paNNIp-paNindiDu
mAsharak-kuNDaliyai viTTu manamUTTumE mElOTTumE vazhi kATTumE inda
mAnAbhimAnam viTTu tAnAgi ninravarkku sEnAdhipati pOlE jnAnAdhipatiyuNDu
2: pArumE kaTTikkArumE uLLE shErumE adu pUrumE angE shangaiyaravE
ninru pongi varum pAluNDu angam iLaippArikkONDu tanga bommai pOlavE
nillumE Edum shollumE jnAnam shollumE yAdum vellumE inda
3: aTTAngam paNNinAlum neTTAngu paNNiyadu kiTTAdu kiTTI
varavoTTAdu muTTiyadu pAyumE munai tEyumE adu vOyumE uLLE tOyumE
vEda mantirttilE pOTTu yantirattilE pArkkum tantirattilEyum illai andarattilE
avadAnamE adu dAnamE balahInamE pEshA mOnamE anda muppzhum tANDi
vandu appAlE ninravarkku ipparvai kiDaiyAdu tiru naTanam AduvAr tALam
pODUvAr anbar kUDuvAr ishai pADuvAr idai kaNDArum kiDaiyAdu viNDArum
shonnadillai ANDANDa kOTiyellAm onrAi
shamaindirukkum allavO paraiyan shollavO angE shellavO nEramAgudallavO

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Mahakavi- Your help is world-known. I want "Pittam Teliya" in Tamil. You and arasi have already discussed at length about this song. Or what is the real meaning of these words- "Valle Valle Aiyen" Is it coined in parallel with "Ulle" in the first line ?

Second- "Paarthu Payirittadhu". I thought it was parthu KaLiththadundu (enjoyed). GKB within me (!) informed it is Parthu KaLiththadundu and second line- Paar alantha.....thedi KaLaithathundu (tired-searching Sivan Adi & Mudi- You know the thazhambu story). If Iam wrong what is the meaning of "Payirittadhu". Next what is "Uttaram" ?(Paarendru Uttaram tharum). Is it Uttaravadham (guarantee) ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

grs,
uththaram is answer (badil).

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

This song (ayyE mettak kaDinam) is constructed with so much alliteration and complex construction and it is very difficult to give ordinary meaning. Besides, there is so much philosophical overtone/undertone imbedded that it requires a vEdic scholar to interpret all the essence contained here. I am only giving some superficial gist and even that may be riddled with errors. So bear with me.

This song is the reply given by nandanAr to his landlord when the latter, recognizing the great devotion of nandanAr, asks him to teach the secret of attaining Godhead. nandanAr replies thus:

P: Oh, my master, it is very difficult. I am your slave, and it is very difficult for me to explain.
A: The presence of the all-pervasive, and unfailing Lord of the golden hall can be understood by ( and obvious to) those who have a strong devotion. (naiyAda manidar= those who are not weak)
C1: Balakrishnan (GKB's mudra) loves the supreme lord of Cidambaram. Because of that love there is no fear of death (kAlan=agent of death, yaman). That is the general dictum. Cidambaram is a great place and a fitting one at that. If one uses the eye of wisdom (jnAna nEtram) the image of the Lord with the scorching flame (around the arch; vAsi= ornamental arch over the idol) will manifest itself and if you worship Him, the kuNDali (the mystic circle in the interior of the underbelly??) will enhance your standing and show the path to salvation. When one renounces pride/dignity and material attachment to people and things (mAnAbhimAnam) then they will attain superior status.

C2: You please hold on to such truth. Then it will blend with you and that is enough. Then all your doubts/fears (sangai) will disappear. Consuming such milk (of worship) your bodily fatigue will disappear and the body will become like a golden doll (tanga bommai). That will confer you the required wisdom which can conquer everything.

C3: Even if one uses all his intelligence and resources at his disposal one may not attain godhead. All such efforts may only go to waste. One may not get it through recital of mandrams and the utilization of crafty strategies. Any achievement (avadAnam) is only abortive (not consummated). It is just a weakness. Even if one crossed all the three divisions (in life) of ethics, riches, and love one may not visualize the Lord. He dances, He keeps the rhythm, His devotees gather and sing. Nobody has seen such an occurrence (kaNDArum kiDiyAdu) and those who dissected (viNDAr) all this have not told others. It is all one enormous conglomerate. Should I, a lowly creature, explain this to you? Shall I go there (to Cidambaram), it is getting late.

That is the essence (perhaps vastly deficient in translation) of what nandan tells his landlord. Basically he tells the landlord it is difficult to explain devotion and one has to experience it internally. And then he seeks the permission of the vEdiyar to go to Cidambaram (which has been on his mind for a long time).
Last edited by mahakavi on 07 Jun 2007, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

grsastrigal wrote:I want "Pittam Teliya" in Tamil. You and arasi have already discussed at length about this song. Or what is the real meaning of these words- "Valle Valle Aiyen" Is it coined in parallel with "Ulle" in the first line ?

Second- "Paarthu Payirittadhu". I thought it was parthu KaLiththadundu (enjoyed). GKB within me (!) informed it is Parthu KaLiththadundu and second line- Paar alantha.....thedi KaLaithathundu (tired-searching Sivan Adi & Mudi- You know the thazhambu story). If Iam wrong what is the meaning of "Payirittadhu". Next what is "Uttaram" ?(Paarendru Uttaram tharum). Is it Uttaravadham (guarantee) ?
vallE means "quickly". But in the line below, I think, it may mean "may not do the job"
"maRRa marundugaL tinRAlum uLLukku vallE vallE ayyE aDimai". This means; in order to quench the pittam (craziness/eccentricity) of not understanding the Lord one has to see the Lord in the golden hall (pErinba manRu = the sabha which confers great bliss). No other remedy will cure the malady. The "ayyE aDimai" is just a watchword that nandan uses almost at the drop of a hat.

payiriTTadu = cultivated
pArttup payiriTTadu = cultivated with great care. It is basically like agriculture where one sows the seeds, irrigates the field, fertilizes, removes the weeds in order to grow a bountiful cropt. It is the same with devotion. "pAmbum puliyum meyppADu paTTut tEDip pArttup payiriTTadu" refers to patanjali and vyAgrapAtar worshipping the Lord with extraordinary efforts and devotion (gathering the flowers in the early morning and offering it to the Lord).

The second line in the caraNam reads:
"pAr aLanda tiru mAyanum vEdanum pArttuk kaLittaduNDu"
pAr (world/universe); aLanda = span/measure; mAyan = vishNu (vAmana avatAram episode); vEdan = brahma ; parttuk= witness; kaLittaduNDu= enjoyed.

This refers to the dance of Siva at Cidambaram witnessed by vishNu and brahmA.
The episode does not refer to the search of head/feet of Siva undertaken by brahmA and vishNu. So there is no "kaLaittal" (getting tired) but "kaLittal" (enjoyment) upon witnessing the dance.

Finally "uttAram" means "permission". nandan is a bonded laborer under the vEdiyar. So if he wants to do anything outside the scope of his assigned work he has to seek the landlord's permission. So he wants the vEdiyar to let him go to Cidambaram to see the Lord whose sight and dance have already been enjoyed by patanjali, vyAgrapAtar, vishNu, and brahma. In addition, half of SivA's body has been taken over by pArvati. "innum pAdi irukkudu paRaiyA nIyum pOyp pArenRu uttAram tArum"--there is the other half left and you go see Him.

I hope this clafiries your doubts, grsastrigal!
Last edited by mahakavi on 07 Jun 2007, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Here is the actual lyrics in Thamizh script.

பித்தம் தெளிய மருந்தொன்று இருக்குதாம் பேரின்ப மன்றுள்ளே
அப: மற்ற மருந்துகள் தின்றாலும் உள்ளுக்கு வல்லே வல்லே ஐயே அடிமை
ச: பாம்பும் புலியும் மெய்ப்பாடு பட்டுத் தேடிப் பார்த்துப் பயிரிட்டது
பாரளந்த திரு மாயனும் வேதனும் பார்த்துக் களித்ததுண்டு
பார்வதி என்றொரு சீமாட்டி அதில் பாதியைத் தின்றதுண்டு இன்னும்
பாதி இருக்குது பறையா நீயும் போய்ப் பாரென்று உத்தாரம் தாரும் தீரும

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Mahakavi-Pl see the first line of previous post !!!!. Your answer is the Marundu for my Pittam. Thanks

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

grsastrigal:
"pittam" has been variously interpreted depending on the context. While it means excessive bile secretion with concomitant ailments (refer to AyurvEda sAstram), a derivative of the word "pittan" means "lunatic" as in the song "pittan enRAlum avan pEyan enRAlum cittam ellAm avanpAl selludammA".

However, in GKB's song, pittam perhaps means bewilderment or ignorance. When one is confused and deluded about one's life, GKB points to a cure, "visit the kanaka sabhai in Cidambaram"

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I have uploaded "Paramacharyal"'s divine speech on "Pittan".

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5fi8is

kutty

Post by kutty »

I have heard two renderings of the following song of GKB, one by KVN and another by Smt Sugandha kalamegam and both sing what is mentioned under (1) which is also as per books/sites available. However, I have come across a publication of 1899 (Mano'NmaNivilasam Printing Press) which had published the songs as per the one mentioned under (2). Since this is nearer to the period of GKB, this must be more authentic. However, I have my own doubts whether the usage of 'bhaaviththidum' needs consideration since I feel 'paaliththidum' may be more appropriate as 'vi' and 'li' if not written in properly appear to be same manuscript as such the printing devil must have crept in when it is printed.
Mahakavi: For opinion please.

1. Ragam: Behag
Thalam: Rupaka
Composer: Gopalakrishna Bharathi

pallavi

irakkam varAmal pOnadenna kAraNam En svAmi (irakkam)

anupallavi

karuNai kaDal endrunaik-kAdir-kETTu nambi vandEn (irakkam)

caraNam

Ala marutti aNDaruyirai Adaritta umadu kIrti bAlakriSnan
pAdid-dinamum paNIndiDum naTarAja mURti

(Dhuritha kaalam)

Pazhi eththanai naan sheidhum
paaliththidum shivachidhambaram
mozhikatravar vazhi eendro'r
muppozhudhum marave'ne'(irakkam)

2. P: Irakkam varaamal po'nadhenna kaaranam swaamy (Irakkam)

AP: KaruNaikkadalendrunnaik kaadhil ke'ttu nambi vandhe'n (Irakkam)

C: Aalam arundhi aNdaruyirai aadhariththa un keerthi
BaalakrushNan paadith dhinamum paNindhidum Nataraaja
Moorthi

(Dhuritha Kaalam)

Pazhiyeththanai naan sheiginum bhaaviththidum Chidhambaramendru
Mozhi katravar vazhi petravar Kanaka Sabhapathi innum (Irakkam)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

kutty:
Do you have to come up with such difficult issues? (just kidding!!)

Your doubts regarding the misprint in letters due to slight variations in them is a recurring issue not only in books printed in olden days but even now.
For example, the typesetter may mistake "va" for "la" especially if the manuscript was somewhat illegible. Also "^nd" and "t" (pa^ndu vs pattu) can be confused one for the other (if the gap in "^nd" is closed to look like "t"), as in the case of "Alam arutti" in version (1) and "Alam arundhi" in version (2). arundi is more proper than arutti.

Anyway, my inclination is to go with version 2 which has more fidelity overall. Also version 2 has the word "seyginum" (even if I do) as opposed to "seydum" (as I did) in version 1. Besides, the flow with "vazhi peRRavar" (those who attained the right path) after "mozhi kaRRavar"is better than "vazhi InRavar" (those who provided the right path).

The only exception that I take with version 2 is the word "bhAvittiDum". I'd go for "pAlittiDum" for the follwoing reason. "bhAvittiDum" means "meditate or imagine or think". Here GKB appeals to the Lord for mercy and he does want protection (pAlittal) despite the potential for committing sins (on his part).
Last edited by mahakavi on 14 Jun 2007, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Thanks a lot Mahakavi. Though Vishwamitrar may be confident yet he needs confirmation from Vasishtar (I am not kidding!) I am an ardent admirer of VaLLuvar and I believe in his kuRaL "Idhanai idhanaal ivan mudikkum endru adhanai avaN kaN vidal"

ramya

Post by ramya »

can someone give me the lyrics for the songs

Aadiya padhathai by gopalakrishna bharathi in surati and Pitham Theliya in Senchuruti.I have heard them in musicindia online and would love to have the lyrics to sing them.thanks in advance

meena

Post by meena »

pittam teLiya. ragA: cenjuruTi / shengalAn/.kurinji. rUpaka tALA.

P: pittam teLiya marund-onrirukkudu pErinbamanruLLE
A: maTra marundugaL tinrAlu muLLukku vallE vallE ayyE aDimai
(tinrAlum uLLukku sellAdu allal paDu manam nillAdu tillai darisana?)
C1: pAmbum puliyum meippADu paTTut-tEDip-pArttup-payiriTTadu
pAr aLanda tirumAyanum vEdanum pArttuk-kaLittaduNDu
pArvati enroru shImATTiyadil pAdiyait-tinraduNDu innum
pAdiyirukku paraiyA nIyum pOip-pArenruttAram tArum tIrum
2: pattu dishaiyum paravip-paDarndAlum pArtup-piDiyArE
tattik-kudikkum tALangaL pODum daNDai shilambu konjum
tittikkum tEnO shen karumbO nalla cittamuDaiyArkkE en
cittattai kaTTi izhukkudu angE shenrAl pOdum kaNDAl tIrum
3: Urai shonnAlum ippAvam tolaiyu mUzhvinai-yUDarukkum
pEraik-koNDADip-pulambugirAr vegu pErgaLukku pizhaippu
cAru naraidirai tIrumarundu jAtiyaip-pArAdu innam
tIrAda nOigaL paDaittavenakkut-tIrum tIrumaiyE aDumai

and for the suraTi txt., it's available on the net- pl. lookup

ramya

Post by ramya »

Meena,thanks for the lyrics of pittam theliya but could not find the lyrics of aadiya paadhathai in the net.pls help me.i just love that song and want to sing it in the temple this week.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Adiya pAdattai. rAgA: suraTi / sAvEri. Adi tALA.

P: Adiya pAdattaik-kANArE pirandAnandam pUNArE
A: nADumtai pUraNa pUshattilE tillai nAyakanAr guruvArattilE manruL
C1: pAshamaruttuDal vAshiyoDukki bhakti paNNum kATTil pAmbu pulikku
AshaiyuDanE nalnaruLaip-perukki anbar kaLikka shilambu kulukki
2: kOTTamaDikkum pulan tozhil nIkki kOTik-kAlam sheida pAzhvinap-pOkki
veTTa veLiyilE neTTiDat-tUkki vEdam paNIndiDat-ten mukahm nOKki
3: shENum shaDaippunal bhUmiyil shoTTa sEvittu nAradar pADiyE kiTTa
kONam kizhindaNDa kOLamum muTTa gOpAlakrSNanum mangaLam koTTa

S.Balasubramanian.

Post by S.Balasubramanian. »

I have learnt the Kriti in Charukesi-taught bySri Ramananathapuram C.S.Sankarasivam.

ramya

Post by ramya »

Thank you for the lyrics.if u could just give me the meaning.some words are easy but on the whole i think its really difficult to understand as the tamil is suddha tamil,,,thanks

ramya

Post by ramya »

mr.lakshman,

could u help me with the translation.i can understand most of it.but words like punare,nadumtai purana and the charanam are tough.thank you

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ramya: My knowledge of tamil is poor. Maybe someone else will provide the meaning.