Indian Music academic research

To teach and learn Indian classical music
mohan

Post by mohan »

Are there any members out there who are doing serious academic research into Indian music? There are a number of universities around the world with programs on Indian music, World Music or ethnomusicology.

As a (part-time) music PhD student, I am interested in getting in touch with other students.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

mohan wrote:Are there any members out there who are doing serious academic research into Indian music? There are a number of universities around the world with programs on Indian music, World Music or ethnomusicology.

As a (part-time) music PhD student, I am interested in getting in touch with other students.
Can U pl. send a mail to: vs_manjunath@yahoo.com .

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

What are you doing your PhD on? Just asking out of curiosity, I am not a PhD student :P

mohan

Post by mohan »

Rasika911 my topic is 'the compositional process in the music of bharatanatyam'. The thesis has a 50% composition component where I am tuning music for a margam and the written component discusses various compositional techniques used by other composers. I also have to write about my own processes.

I am just doing the literature review at the moment so there is a long way to go!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Mohan, if you look on Wesleyan university's website, they have a list (in the music department website) of all the theses completed there by various people. The list includes such luminaries as Dr. S. Ramanathan, T. Viswa, Jon Higgins, L. Shankar, Dr. SAK Durga, and others. I think Jon Higgins also wrote his thesis on the music of Bharatanatyam, check it out.
If you need help getting copies, let me know...
Last edited by sankirnam on 28 Jul 2009, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks sankirnam - I have the relevant thesis from Wesleyan.

Coolkarniji/Cienu if you can put me in touch with Navneeth it would be great.