Neyveli Santhanagopalan shows us how

To teach and learn Indian classical music
gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

An elegant demonstration of how a kriti may be taught is at Santhanagopalan's blog. I find this strikingly good, especially by not being overproduced with video and hordes of students. He is uniquely impressive in this as in everything else he does, and I hope we'll see more such lessons.
Last edited by gn.sn42 on 12 Jul 2009, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks gn.sn42. It is quite well done by Sri. NSG

Here is the direct link to the Ee vasudha - sahAnA lesson: http://guruneyveli.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... at_08.html

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Is this intended for learning through recording, or is it a personal lesson that has been recorded? If it's the latter, it would have been good if we could listen to the student/s.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

VK, I remember reading one of your posts in which you had mentioned Sahana in particular as a raga which when played on the flute requires the instrument to be tilted quite a bit. This would be a good tutorial to follow and emulate on the flute.

Also, the unhurried pace in which Sri. NSG teaches should make it quite easy to follow.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Trying to figure out the pitch he is singing it in...Seems even lower than "C".

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Girish, yes NSG pretty much tells us all the prayogas in musical form. The swara names are to be used as a guideposts. To avoid the tilt, I was playing around with transposing the Sa to the lower pa position. Not for playing compositions.. but I personally like the ease of producing some music that is very sahana'ish.

For the sruthi issue, open it up in Audacity and bring it to your desired sruthi. (It will sound odd at that high pitch..)

Recently, bala747 posted a link to Mali's Sahana alapana followed by Giripai. That is in 5 kattai and I have a 5 kattai flute. It was a pleasant exercise to "try" to follow along Mali ;) ...for the first couple of minutes, before he left me and went into a different plane and orbit.