Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

keerthi wrote: 1. I don't see a case for yati here.. MD has used 5 Avarta-s of a 5 akSara tAla here.. MD doesn't seem to have consciously maintained yati in his krti corpus.. While he is very particular about DAP..Tell me more about how imperative it is to have yati in musical compositions.. As far as I see, even poets don't adhere to it too tightly, in metric poems..
OK. Yesterday I was commenting purely based on the sahitya. I have not dug out BMK's recording from my collection yet, so I did not know how many tala avartanas are in the pallavi. Yes, if it is an odd number, we can forget about it. I thought the number of tala avartanas might have been 4 or 6.

Disagree about MD not "consciously" maintaining yati. My observation is that when he composed "important" pieces (which are regarded as masterpieces) or "flagship compositions" in a raga, he is always very careful. Just look at "vatapiganapatim", prasa and yati are conscientiously maintained. Or akshayalingavibho. It is highly unlikely that yati was 100% satisfied in these compositions purely as a subconscious/accidental occurrence.

Comparison to metric poems is a bit apples and oranges. Yati on the first akshara is essentially a form of punctuation indicating where the second half of the line begins. In metric poems, the syllables are already distributed in the padas according to the meter, so there is no doubt. In musical compositions, there is no prosodical meter, only the chronometer (tala). So it is useful to have the yati.
.... however your use of hrasva/dIrgha troubles me.. the du-s in durgE and dundubhi are hrasva..
By chandasshAstra reckoning, the former is a guru and the latter a laghu..
Guru-laghu and hrasva-dirgha are different classifications. Remember: a guru syllable is one which has a dirgha vowel, or a hrasva vowel followed by a anusvra or visarga, or a hrasva vowel followed by a compound consonant, or a hrasva vowel at the end of a word/line. A laghu syllable is one containing a hrasva vowel, apart from above exceptions. Of course the guru-laghu and hrasva-dirgha classifications often coincide, as in the "made-up" prasa examples I mentioned earlier. Or taken another way, guru syllables are those which are made dirgha either by the nature of their vowels or by their association with consonants that lengthen the syllable. Laghu syllables are essentially hrasva with no modifications. Exceptions apply to syllables at the end of a word/line - we don't need those details in the present discussion.

In dumdurgE, if you want to take "dum" on samam, then the syllable length is NOT defined by du but dur...one has to count the "r" also in the syllable. But in dundubhi it is only "du". Hence, one is dirgha (therefore guru) and the other is hrasva with no modifiers (hence laghu).

Note this is not a technical defect as far as DP is concerned. As I have already mentioned, all the prasas you mentioned (ie. the sriranjani, sriraga, yamunakalyani etc) are *technically correct* in terms of the basic requirements for DP. I pointed out some exceptions where the DP is *technically incorrect* (the kannada, surati etc).

The hrasva/dirgha match is an additional aesthetic issue, that elevates it to "uttama" in my mind. You are considering technically correct as enough for "uttama". That is perfectly fine. But it is a fact that the effect is more pleasing if hrasva/dirgha syllables are matched. See vatapiganapatim for example. It is perfectly proportioned.

Will comment more later, must run. *Added later - I am back, more comments included above*

SR
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 24 Jul 2009, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

keerthi wrote:2. The idea of the musical-ness of lyric is not just that of 'CM (thinkers) from the last 3 centuries'.. Choice of words, not just for their import, but for the sounds they employ, has been used to greatr effect by poets like vAlmIki (use of the Ta-varga mUrdhanya-s to depict the destruction of madhuvana by the vAnara-s etc.)

previous poets and aesthetes have commented on 'dhwani' and the importance of the import of lyric, as suggested by its very sound, even when recited plainly..

You are mistaken if you construe my observation as some kind of statement to the effect 'CM abhors compound consonants' or 'Don't use samyuktAkSara-s'
I understand you are not objecting to the use of compound consonants, I am just filling in the discussion of that subject here some more.

Musicalness of lyric is good, but it has to considered at a deeper level *during the act of composing*, not only by post-composition commentators. Music conveys a number of emotions, and the lyric must correspond. What I meant is that in CM, the range of emotions is fairly narrow (mainly bhakti and submission to a god/goddess). In that case, the choice of lyrics as seen in previous compositions is quite corresponding and understandable.

The present composition conveys the power of natural forces in a masculine way. Clouds, priests, Vedic gods, sacrifices, seers, frogs etc are all masculine (Megha, jaladhara, payodhara, rtvij, vasava, yajna, kavi, manduka are all masculine nouns. Unfortunately, prAvRsh (rainy season; prAvRD after sandhi) is a feminine noun. But the presence of two "hard" syllables - prA and vRD - mitigates this, by sounding the plain and clear notes M and P on them. The use of compound consonants is ideal for sounding plain notes that anchor the composition solidly. Raga elaboration is done mainly on syllables containing long vowels. These aspects are well-considered and go back to the "raga-tala-sahitya integration" I keep talking about.

To illustrate further, here is an excellent example I was just listening to: a shloka from Gita Govinda regarding the dashavatara of Vishnu, executed with great power and clarity by KJY in raga Mohanam:

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=19822& ... 5467076214

See how the compound consonants, e.g. in "bhUgOlam udbibhrate", "kshatrakshayam kurvate", "mlEchhAn mUrchayatE", are sounded on clear plain notes, whereas raga elaboration is done on syllables with long vowels, like "tE", "bhu", "lam", etc. At places like "bhr", "ksha", "tra" you can feel the power of clear enunciation, appropriate to the description of Krishna's valor in the avataras.

SR

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sangeetha Rasik: Do you have the lyrics for the slokam rendered by KJY.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks SR for the reference and commentary.

I was also interested in the lyrics and looked it up.

VKR, look here http://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_trial/ ... TAGO-B.TXT and look/search in page for 'bhUgOlam udbibhrate'

I am reproducing it here for our convenience:

vedAn uddharate jaganti vahate bhUgolam udbibhrate
daityaM dArayate baliM Chalayate kShatra-kShayaM kurvate |
paulastyaM jayate halaM kalayate kAruNyam Atanvate
mlechChAn mUrchChayate dashAkR^iti-kR^ite kR^iShNAya tubhyaM namaH ||16||

The transliteration is easy to follow. Here we normally use 'E' for the long 'e' but it is easy to see/hear, no confusion.
KJY seems to be use the palatial hard 'L' for bhUgOlam. Not sure which is correct.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

vasanthakokilam wrote:KJY seems to be use the palatial hard 'L' for bhUgOlam. Not sure which is correct.
That is due to the peculiar "retroflex" found in Keralan pronunciation of certain Sanskrit words. The dental "t" is retroflexed to "l" (e.g., matsya --> malsya, vatsala --> valsala), and the "l" is further retroflexed to "L" (bhugola --> bhugoLa, komala --> komaLa). It is thought to be the influence of an ancient accent of the Nambudiri brahmans.

SR
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 27 Jul 2009, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The vedic 'L' and 'zha' survived only in the south which were part of Tamil and allied dravidian languages. Parmacharya has discussed its impotance in vedic enunciation Tanjore style. They disappeared totally in the north as also the alphabets corresponding to them!

SR
There is no concept of masculinity/femininity in CM in respect of ragas or sahitya expressions as also the dravidian languages do not attribute sex to nouns which is characteristic of sanskrit. That is peculiar to HM and I trust you are not introducing a new element of 'sex bias' as an innovation in CM :)

vasanthakokilam

Thanks SR for that imagery of the journey of the tip of the tongue. Now that middle stage 'l' is the alveolar right, and not further back?

A small detour, I need to know this for a completely different purpose. Is the word 'mouli' sanskrit? If so, which 'l' is it? Aleveolar or retroflex or something else? I think Tamils pronounce it as retroflex 'L'.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:There is no concept of masculinity/femininity in CM in respect of ragas or sahitya expressions as also the dravidian languages do not attribute sex to nouns which is characteristic of sanskrit.
"Gender" is often an important consideration when exploring a theme. The fact is that the Indian characterization of the monsoon is essentially masculine - referring to the forces of nature - and the Vedic implications thereof. The composition takes full advantage of this to create a particular effect.

I am not really interested in what some in CM might think about the absence of clear masculine versus feminine aspects of ragas and sahitya. I find such a suggestion entirely preposterous, if in fact there are CM experts who actually believe this. MD's "Srinathadiguruguho jayati" is in Mayamalavagaula (raga Bhairav in the North) for a reason. And should we now claim that Shiva's tandava in fact is not masculine ?
That is peculiar to HM and I trust you are not introducing a new element of 'sex bias' as an innovation in CM :)
How does the aesthetically correct use of masculine nouns to describe the monsoon illustrate "sex bias" ? If the ability to relate masculine and feminine characteristics to emotional expression through music as appropriate, is somehow peculiar to HM - then it is a *very positive* aspect of HM which should be an integral part of any attempt to create a more unified Indian classical music.

Furthermore, concepts such as "raga-ragini" are older than either HM or CM as we know them today. Megh is one of the 6 fundamental ragas in that system and is assigned a masculine aspect. So is Bhairav.

I hope you are joking. :) Thanks.

SR
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 27 Jul 2009, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:The vedic 'L' and 'zha' survived only in the south which were part of Tamil and allied dravidian languages. Parmacharya has discussed its impotance in vedic enunciation Tanjore style. They disappeared totally in the north as also the alphabets corresponding to them!
They may have survived in the south, perhaps due to the affinity with the same/similar sounds in the Dravidian languages. But you are completely mistaken about vedic "L" and "zha" surviving *only* in the "south" - unless you are counting Maharashtra as the south and Marathi (incl. Konkani) as Dravidian languages.

SR

PS: By the way, the "r" in American English is often nothing but "zha".

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

vasanthakokilam wrote:A small detour, I need to know this for a completely different purpose. Is the word 'mouli' sanskrit? If so, which 'l' is it? Alveolar or retroflex or something else? I think Tamils pronounce it as retroflex 'L'.
There seems no reason to believe "mauli" is not Sanskrit. It has the "usual" alveolar l, not the retroflex L.

SR

vasanthakokilam

Thanks SR.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sangeet Rasik wrote:
vasanthakokilam wrote:A small detour, I need to know this for a completely different purpose. Is the word 'mouli' sanskrit? If so, which 'l' is it? Alveolar or retroflex or something else? I think Tamils pronounce it as retroflex 'L'.
There seems no reason to believe "mauli" is not Sanskrit. It has the "usual" alveolar l, not the retroflex L.

SR
We can't discern a definite etymology for the word, and hence it is difficult to comment on whether it is mauLi or mauli..

I think a pANinIya edict has bowlderized sAnskrt of all retroflex 'La'kAra-s.. and replaced them with la-s

words like mangaLam come to mind..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I could not track 'mauLi/mauli' in the nirukta. Hence it must be of later origin. The Amarakosha derives it in the lAntavarga:
cUDA kirITaM kEshAshca saMyatA maulayastrayaH| (3.193)
Mallinatha comments:
mUlati pratitiShThatIti maulIH| 'mUla pratiShThAyAm'
(It takes or strikes root hence it is 'mauli')
The word is derived from the 'mUl' dhatu using the 'i~n' pratyayam.

Hence apparently the word is of post Paninian origin!

vasanthakokilam

mauli is crown. How does that meaning come about from 'It takes or strikes root'? Also, another word for crown is makhutam. Since that also starts with ma ( but not mau ), is that a related word etymologically?

How about 'manjulA'? 'L' sounds right to me. 'l' which is how americans say it, it sounds lean and light!!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:cUDA kirITaM kEshAshca saMyatA maulayastrayaH| (3.193) Hence apparently the word is of post Paninian origin!
CML,

Thanks for this important information, which clears up the issue. Yes, I also thought the root must be "mUla" (not by making the effort of 'due diligence' as you have done, but because it seemed the only appropriate one). The use of "L" would then be due to regional accents, I suppose.

In CM, the composition that immediately comes to mind (since I have learned it) is MD's jambUpate in YKalyani ("nityamaulividhrtagangendo"). I learned it as "mauli" (it never occurred to me that it might be pronounced "mauLi" by some).

Interestingly, sahityas available online use "L" (possibly because they are taken from TN authors ?). Todd McComb lists jambupate and uses "mauLi":

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:mGX ... clnk&gl=us

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

vasanthakokilam wrote:mauli is crown. How does that meaning come about from 'It takes or strikes root'? Also, another word for crown is makhutam. Since that also starts with ma ( but not mau ), is that a related word etymologically?
I think the primary meaning of mauli is "head" (crown being derived from that). Perhaps the growth of hair on the head leads to the notion of "striking root" ! :)

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear Rasiks,

I have refreshed the download of my composition in Hindolam in post #484 of this thread:

http://rasikas.org/forums/post69615.html#p69615

The new upload features the tabla accompaniment to further elucidate the rhythmic aspects. This composition is set to south Indian miSrachApu/north Indian dIpcandi tala. The rhythmic flow and pace of this composition also is designed to allow singing to the accompaniment of the Keralan drums such as the iDekka.

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

sAdhu !sAdhu ! puShkaranAdapOShita hindOla gaanaM |
The Tabla nicely blends with the rendering. The rhytm is indeed bewitching and adds to the dreamy mood of the composition.

I repeat this is one of your finest composition which ought to be recognized by performers!

I wonder how the iDekka would sound as an accompaniment ?

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

CML,

Thanks!

An ashtapadi being sung to idekka accompaniment (fast forward to about 4:50 to hear it). The raga appears identical to Bhairavi.

http://sounds.bl.uk/View.aspx?item=025M ... 100V0.xml#

The same ashtapadi by KJY in Mohanam. During the flute interludes, the mrdangam enters the fray.

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=19813& ... 7094147549

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks
An interesting experience!

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Sangeet Rasik wrote:Dear Rasiks,

I have refreshed the download of my composition in Hindolam in post #484 of this thread:

http://rasikas.org/forums/post69615.html#p69615

The new upload features the tabla accompaniment to further elucidate the rhythmic aspects. This composition is set to south Indian miSrachApu/north Indian dIpcandi tala. The rhythmic flow and pace of this composition also is designed to allow singing to the accompaniment of the Keralan drums such as the iDekka.

Best Wishes,
SR
SR,

I had missed the post earlier but I am glad that I finally did hear this piece. I cannot speak to the masterful lyrics being ignorant of Sanskrit subtleties but melodically I thought the composition was top class. Great tuning! The andolanam on "mA" at the very beginning of the kriti is very catchy and nails hindolam on the first note. The gait is very smooth and not awkward at any point.

Could you discuss the process of creating the lyrics and the tune? Did you generate them together or did one follow the other? What was your inspiration for the tune? Did you get stuck at some point or did it flow smoothly all the way through?

Thanks for the lovely composition and singing it for us.

-Then Paanan

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Thanks, Thenpaanan.
thenpaanan wrote:Could you discuss the process of creating the lyrics and the tune? Did you generate them together or did one follow the other? What was your inspiration for the tune? Did you get stuck at some point or did it flow smoothly all the way through?
All my compositions involve cooperative creation of raga, sahitya, and tala. I did not get stuck, but the initial version of the composition was polished (mainly raga and tala aspects, not so much the sahitya) over several years when I returned to raga Hindolam once in a while. As for the exact process, it is all a result of "mAyA" or "indrajAlam". ;)

SR
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 10 Sep 2009, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear Rasiks,

I am back. The next composition presented is in raga Purvikalyani. It is set in the south Indian catasra eka tala (4 matras) or in the north Indian eka tala (12 = 3 x 4 matras).

I notice that this thread has been affected by the forum migration. I will repost the previous compositions and audios over the next few weeks.

Best Wishes,
SR
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 26 Apr 2010, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sangeet Rasik

Re: Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

“dhanam vA dEvadhyAnam vA” (2009)

pUrvikalyANirAgE catasrajAtiEkatAlEna gIyatE

http://www.sendspace.com/file/taeqef

pallavi

dhanam vA dEvadhyAnam vA mantrajapO vA | dRDhatapO vA pUjA vA sAmrAjyam vA ||
anantasukhadAyakam kim ayi viSvasanIyam | anucaraNIyam ca’ivam cintayEham ||

anupallavi

na nArAyaNO na hi caturAnanO na paramaSivO | na rAghavah kRshNO na rakshati mAyAkalilAt ||
ghanAjnAninA’pi nAstikEna nAnAvidhamO-| ghavAdavAdEna na kadAcana mudam prApyatE ||

caraNam

tatO mana iha SrNu dhIrANAm gUDhatamam Srutam | tasmAn narAya bhavAbdhivimuktimArgau dvAvEva ||
kRtArthO bhavita’indram EtA saphalayajnEna | kurvan’chravaNamananAditrayam EtA brAhmyamEva ||
satatam apy’aksharadharmapAlakO bhava | sadA vEdasthakarmajnAnadhArakO bhava ||
pitAputramitrakalatrAdikshEmam kurushva | paritrAya rAshTram cEti nAyakavacanamEva ||

Translation

What, pray, gives everlasting bliss ? What is reliable and worthy of pursuit ?
Wealth, or meditation upon gods, or chanting of mantras, or steadfast austerity, or worship, or empire ?
Thus, I wonder.

Not Narayana (Vishnu), nor indeed Chaturanana (Brahma), nor the great Shiva, nor Raghava (Rama), nor Krishna can rescue one from the tangle of Maya,
And never is happiness obtained by the grossly ignorant atheist, or by various kinds of vain intellectual argumentations.

Thence, O mind, listen here to the secret of the wise, that is Heard,
From that, there are two ways alone for Man to be free of the ocean of wordly existence.
By successful yajna shall he become accomplished, and attain to the status of Indra,
(whereas) practising the triad of Shravana, Manana, and Nididhyasana he shall truly attain to Brahman-ness.
Forever be the guardian of (this) indestructible dharma, and uphold Action and Knowledge remaining steadfast in the Vedas,
Do good unto father, children, friends, spouse, and others, and defend the State (rashtra); thus verily speak the leaders.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welcome back SR with the superb composition.
The start of it indeed took me to HM land but I quickly returned to CM as the music progressed. The Tabla beautifully blends without dominating. The Purvikalyani gives a dreamyy experience.

I liked the majestic lyric. The final two lines remind me of the injunctions in TaitriyopaniShad. Now give me some time to mull over what 'nAyaka' says....

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I love it. This reminds me of the sloka:
sravaNam keertanam VishnO: smaraNam pAdasEvanam, archanam, vandanam dAsyam sakyam aatmanivEdanam - nine ways to reach Vishnu

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Thanks, CML and VKR.

Indeed the composition represents Indian classical music, and incorporates both HM and CM. The raga itself is a result of HM-CM integration.

The composition is best sung with a vilambit accompaniment. Although the overall pace is vilambit, the composition is quite intricate and is full of twists and turns, fast sancharas, gamakas, and brighas. It requires a high degree of control to sing it properly. It is also important to understand the tala structure in order to emphasize and intone specific syllables correctly.

Glad you liked the majestic sahitya. Yes, indeed the injunctions of the Veda are of paramount importance for all time. Look forward to further discussions on this composition.

SR

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

SR,
At your leisure, could you give the pratipadArtha, for us to better understand the lyric..?

I had a few specific doubts, which I list below..

Also have you consciously designed the song such that each unit (bounded by the | or || tAla marks) traverses three rounds of Catushra eka??
1. mAyAkalilAt

- What does it mean..?
2. ghanAjnAninA’pi nAstikEna
- the purpose of the api here. Is it in the sense of the conjunction 'and'?

I ask because the usage of api is sometimes in the sense of contradiction (in the sense of despite etc. )
That would suggest that being AjnAni and nAstika are mutually exclusive/ contradictory.
3. mOghavAdavAdeNa
MOgha-vAda = vain argument. What is vAda-vAdEna..?
4. tatO mana iha SrNu
Is the sambOdhana of manas shabda 'mana'?
5.kRtArthO bhavita’indram EtA saphalayajnEna |
kurvan’chravaNamananAditrayam EtA brAhmyamEva ||
EtA - here is it a noun kRdanta describing manas or the verb form Eta (= gacchantu)

6.pitAputramitrakalatrAdikshEmam kurushva |
paritrAya rAshTram cEti nAyakavacanamEva ||
Shouldn't the prAtipadika pitr be used in a samAsa, instead of the prathama vibhakti eka vacana form..?

Is paritrAya legitimate? or should it be paritrAyasva..?

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

keerthi wrote:SR,
At your leisure, could you give the pratipadArtha, for us to better understand the lyric..?
Sure, but it will be easier if specific questions are addressed, so feel free to list them.
Also have you consciously designed the song such that each unit (bounded by the | or || tAla marks) traverses three rounds of Catushra eka??
Yes definitely. It is designed to be compatible with the north indian eka tala (which is a 12-matra tala) and hence also the south indian catasra-eka tala. | and || are not tala marks as such, they mark a half-line and a full-line respectively. Yati separates these two halves.
1. mAyAkalilAt

One of the meanings of kalila is "an entangled state" or "confusion". mAyAkalilam is "confusion caused by maya".
2. ghanAjnAninA’pi nAstikEna
- the purpose of the api here. Is it in the sense of the conjunction 'and'?
It is in the sense of "also".
I ask because the usage of api is sometimes in the sense of contradiction (in the sense of despite etc. )
api has indeed multiple uses, as inferred from the context.
3. mOghavAdavAdeNa
MOgha-vAda = vain argument. What is vAda-vAdEna..?

vAdavAda is an intensive form of vAda obtained by repetition. It means "repeated arguments" and "controversion (of a previous argument)". Just like "punahpunah" means "repeatedly".
Is the sambOdhana of manas shabda 'mana'?
sambOdhana is manah but before iha the visarga is lost....
EtA - here is it a noun kRdanta describing manas or the verb form Eta (= gacchantu)
Yes, EtA is the periphrastic future tense of the root "i" (to go).
6.pitAputramitrakalatrAdikshEmam kurushva |
paritrAya rAshTram cEti nAyakavacanamEva ||
Shouldn't the prAtipadika pitr be used in a samAsa, instead of the prathama vibhakti eka vacana form..?
That is the general rule, but one has to also be familiar with the specific exceptions. "pitAputramitrakalatra" is a dvandva samAsa. When "pitR" or "mAtR" appear as the the first member of a dvandva, they must be converted to the nominative singular, i.e. "pitAputra..." not "pitRputra..."
Is paritrAya legitimate? or should it be paritrAyasva..?
paritrA- is ubhayapada, both forms appear. kuru and bhava are also ubhayapada. The original root "trA" seems to be atmanepada, I have not come across a parasmai form.

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent! Good Q&A.
Keerthi is right (paritrAyasva) acccording to (Apte Practical Sanskrit dictionary) but MW lists 'paritrai' as ubhayapada.
Even 'trai' being atmanepada is questionable due to the common use of 'trAhi'.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:Excellent! Good Q&A.
Keerthi is right (paritrAyasva) acccording to (Apte Practical Sanskrit dictionary) but MW lists 'paritrai' as ubhayapada.
Even 'trai' being atmanepada is questionable due to the common use of 'trAhi'.
That's true. Just checked MW..."trAtu" is also listed. So basically all these roots are ubhayapada in actual usage.

Also note as an aside: many of the usages of paritrA are as a class 4 verb, so the parasmai form of the singular 2nd person imperative will be "paritrAya" (as applied in the composition) and the atmane form will be "paritrAyasva". The usage as a class 2 verb would be "paritrAsva" and "paritrAhi".

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just wanted to point out that 'pitA = mAtA + pitA - a generic compound ' and hence you may replace the father by parents in your translation which sounds better....

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:Just wanted to point out that 'pitA = mAtA + pitA - a generic compound ' and hence you may replace the father by parents in your translation which sounds better....
Certainly...same for "putra" which can be children in general, in addition to "son". Since the space is limited, everything cannot be included...and if I leave out "kalatra" I am in big trouble...he he ;)

SR

SKA

Re:

Post by SKA »

stupid compositions ! those on Manmohan singh, Lalu and Dhirubhai ! instead of wasting your time energy and knowldge on these - see if you can use music for some nadopasana or something serious or if you talent lies only here please joing laughter club.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

There is a saying
"kazhuthaikku theriyumA karpoora vAsanai" :D
Just because the Trinity composed on their favourite deity does not mean that there is a subject restriction on 'good' Carnatic music!
Their vision was so limiited and that was the tragedy...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:"kazhuthaikku theriyumA karpoora vAsanai" :D...
He/she just joined rasikas.org today. :)

Welcome, SKA. Please continue following this thread - at the minimum, you will get some laughs. Please enjoy both the compositions you find humorous as well as any you find to be serious.

SR

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

SKA has chosen blunt words, which is not really constructive criticism, so it is best to ignore his/her comment.

Sangeet Rasik's scholarship is never in doubt, but I do want to mention one thing, in the hope that it might spark an interesting debate.

I think that Carnatic Music is not a "one size fits all" form of art. That is the reason why we have "light music", "film music" and so on. While SR's compositions on Manmohan Singh, Dhirubhai Ambani etc make for an interesting study, the sentiment he has sought to express in his compositions might find better vehicles of expression if set to light music or one its cousins.

If it was possible to successfully express the feeling behind a contemporary theme through Carnatic Music, surely someone would have already attempted it and such compositions would be very popular by now?

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Girish,
girish_a wrote:I think that Carnatic Music is not a "one size fits all" form of art. That is the reason why we have "light music", "film music" and so on. While SR's compositions on Manmohan Singh, Dhirubhai Ambani etc make for an interesting study, the sentiment he has sought to express in his compositions might find better vehicles of expression if set to light music or one its cousins.
By the same token, the reason we have "bhajans" and other "devotional music" is to praise the gods. The 1000+ kritis of the trinity might therefore find better expression in devotional music, not in classical music.
If it was possible to successfully express the feeling behind a contemporary theme through Carnatic Music, surely someone would have already attempted it and such compositions would be very popular by now?
A request - please move this discussion to the existing "Secular Themes" thread wherein the issue of "why nobody attempted such compositions" has been discussed in detail. I request that this thread be used for posting and discussing specific compositions of myself and others who wish to contribute. Thanks.

Here is the appropriate thread to continue the discussion:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 5d0c7c4003

If you have specific discussion topics on my compositions or others in this thread, let us address those here. I'd like ongoing discussion about compositions - including the latest ones, not only the old ones.

Brief comments to consider before you post on the "Secular Themes" thread:

CM suffers from a notion that all compositions need to be long-lived and that longevity is an index of quality (it may or may not). An excellent composition on a contemporary figure can be much more short-lived than a mediocre ditty on a god or goddess which is being sung for centuries. It is the capability to appreciate and incorporate "contemporary themes" that is important - not the "longevity" per se. Excellent compositions can be created and re-created.

That being said, some compositions are meant to be long-lived, and there are many such in this thread. "Contemporary themes" is perhaps not the best title for this thread - it should be "Broader themes beyond the religious". The thread title was generated by srkris, not by me.

The compositions posted in this thread are not only on "contemporary figures/personalities" - a wide variety of topics are covered (philosophical, cultural, nationalistic, humorous, even religious). The thread has been moving along to various themes based on my own selection as well as the vox populi. When I posted a humorous composition on Lalu Yadav, someone said Manmohan Singh and Kalam and national heroes would be much better to compose on. When I posted compositions on them, someone else wanted religious compositions too - I posted a couple. Then someone wanted to see compositions on concepts than on "people" or "gods". Since the latter request indeed coincided with my own directions at the time, the thread has been moving that way. Furthermore, I have been moving in the direction of CM-HM integration. The thread also reflects this. So, it is incorrect to characterize the entire thread as representing a single type of composition.

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That thread is partly corrupted since the move.
Feel free to start a new thread on the subject and continue the discussions there.

arasi

Post by arasi »

SR,
I do not have the scholarship to comment on your compositions. I am glad we have Keerthi among us now, who can add to what CML has to say about your songs. I have appreciated some of your songs just by listening to them as a lay listener (which matters too, because if and when your comopsitions are sung, you will find that most or all of the listeners are going to be of that kind).
I also know that you are keener on listening to the reactions of scholars rather than of the majority. It would be interesting though to see how you evolve. While I agree with the view that there isn't much of a chance of hearing a Laddu or Manmohan Singh song in a concert, you may come up with more emotive songs about reformers or humanitarians--better still, of the sentiments evoked by great men and women of our times. After all, MD is your idol (if I'm not mistaken) and though I'm not educated in sanskrit, the impact of his intent touches me and every time I hear a new or old kruti of his, I find beauty in it and marvel no end.
All the best!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:That thread is partly corrupted since the move.
Feel free to start a new thread on the subject and continue the discussions there.
I was able to view almost all the posts on that thread...so I would suggest that we continue there. Adding new posts to the thread would have the same effect as starting a new thread, with the advantage that the discussion is still collected in one place.

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Arasi,

Thanks for your comments.
I also know that you are keener on listening to the reactions of scholars rather than of the majority. It would be interesting though to see how you evolve.
I am not interested so much in "scholarly" opinion as I am in the views of rasikas who broaden their aesthetic experience beyond the "conventional" CM. There a number of rasikas of this nature who post comments in this thread, who listen to the compositions, and who send me email offline. I am not sure I know the distinction between "scholar" and "non-scholar". They also need not be confined to CM rasiks only. That would defeat the purpose.

Please follow this thread to see the evolution. As you can gather, the direction is going towards compositions which integrate CM and HM concepts. I suspect this will occupy me for a long time to come, since the scope is vast and the results substantial. Quality and new substance are the goals, not quantity or "popularity". Rasikas.org is the first avenue for disseminating this work. Other things will happen in the future.
While I agree with the view that there isn't much of a chance of hearing a Laddu or Manmohan Singh song in a concert, you may come up with more emotive songs about reformers or humanitarians--better still, of the sentiments evoked by great men and women of our times.
Funny how all the discussion seems to center around "Laloo and Manmohan" :grin: . There are number of other compositions on this thread. What is the "lay rasik" opinion on the "emotive" aspects of, for example, my Saveri composition "siddharthagautamam bhajare" ? What about the composition in Megh ? I should think it is a perfect opportunity for a classical musician to introduce a new raga and a new theme into a concert in a rigorous way.
After all, MD is your idol (if I'm not mistaken) and though I'm not educated in sanskrit, the impact of his intent touches me and every time I hear a new or old kruti of his, I find beauty in it and marvel no end.
All the best!
MD is not my idol. This (mis?)conception seems to recur in our exchange of views. In my study of CM, I find MD to be the most intellectually and aesthetically developed composer, and hence I refer to him often, and also use his compositions as a loose structural model - understanding that MD's model is already influenced heavily by Hindustani music and the earlier age of classical music originating from North India. I have even composed two pieces on MD highlighting his contributions, but he is not my "idol" - perhaps "role model" or "pioneer" is a more accurate term.

That being said, MD's scope was ultimately limited to temple deities and the puranas surrounding them. While I can empathize with the intent, it seems uninteresting to rehash these themes. I'd much rather present a few compositions that are "different" in some manner regardless of their popularity, than a number of compositions that do not add anything to what is available already.

Best Wishes,
SR

arasi

Post by arasi »

SR,
As expected, you have given no-nonsense answers to dispel doubts. We know you to be a very bright mind. You are a serious
comoposer too.
Yes, I do know that your compositions are not limited to politicians. Sorry, I mangled the name of one! On CML's suggestion (after he read your earlier ones on your professor and so on), you did come out with one on Vallabh Bhai Patel, the national leader. If you remember, I did comment on some of your latter songs--say, composer to composer (though most of my songs are in tamizh and you do not know the language).
The reason I thought you are not keen on the comments of non-scholars was that I rarely find your taking part in discussions other than those dealing with sanskrit compositions. Nothing wrong with that, but most of your posts have to do with scholarly things. Nothing wrong with that either :) Not contributing to the Hilarity thread does not make one a non-member at RasikAs :)
Hope the old lady makes herself clear...

mohan

Post by mohan »

Carnatic krthis with Christian lyrics:
http://expressbuzz.com/magazine/chapel- ... 71361.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Fantastic story, Mohan.
CM works in mysterious ways, it seems.
The priest's passion for CM, his not giving up easily when faced with opposition, his persistence paying off in the end...
What is interesting here is that originally, the missionaries kept the tunes of the hymns intact and changed the english/european verses into the local language. Here, the opposite is happening, by keeping the malaylam words but changing the music into CM!

vasanthakokilam

A few years back, at the baptism ceremony of an Indian Christian child at a regular catholic church nearby me, the mom and grandma sang christian themed songs set to CM. It was quite an experience. I later found out that in Chennai and possibly other places, there is a whole CM teaching program with Christian theme based songs starting from geetham etc. There is a substitute for 'lambodhara laghumikara' etc.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

mohan wrote:Carnatic krthis with Christian lyrics:
http://expressbuzz.com/magazine/chapel- ... 71361.html
I have seen few cds where tunes are made like few krithis and used by christian evangelists . When I recently came out of tiruvarur temple I saw some of these evangelists distributing these lyrics too. So many of these attempts(not all) do have a hidden agenda of conversion, one has to carefully watch out for the actual intent .

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

rajeshnat wrote:I have seen few cds where tunes are made like few krithis and used by christian evangelists . When I recently came out of tiruvarur temple I saw some of these evangelists distributing these lyrics too. So many of these attempts(not all) do have a hidden agenda of conversion, one has to carefully watch out for the actual intent .
I entirely agree. These are often pretexts for spreading of alien religions in India, but also in some cases it may be a genuine expression of faith. Also just wanted to point out that a discussion on religious themed lyrics (of different kinds) is better done in a different thread.

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

On second thought SR, why don't you try for a change a serious composition on Jesus or Mary? With your command of Sanskrit and Musical phrases (both CM and HM) it will be unique and entertaining! I wonder how MD would have sounded if he had chosen to sing a hymn on Abraham (the Brahma of christianity :D

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:On second thought SR, why don't you try for a change a serious composition on Jesus or Mary?
CML, I might be naive but I am not in the business of scoring cultural "own goals". :grin: