Places selected for Neraval in compositions ?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
suma

Post by suma »

Yes, the choice of the line for Niravel mostly depends on the meaning of that line and how best bhavam can be applied like in Hirenmayeem, there is a line "Sangeetha Vadya Vinodine...." . The line can be anywhere in the song, but if it can bring out the beauty through bhavam (devotion) as percieved by the original composer, then that line can be used I guess.
Last edited by suma on 16 Nov 2008, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

vijay wrote:the Vidushi has also broght out a CD on the subject which covers largely the same points. It is highly recommended for those not able to attend the LD in person.
Who is the publisher? Could you provide some details or a web link?

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

mohan wrote:GNB also uses "sumathi thyagaraja" for neraval in nidhichala (kalyAni) instead of the usual mamathA bhandana. Both are from the charanam.
Also this mamatA-bandhanayuta line has a somewhat negative meaning, though that's the crux of the whole song, and shows the guts of Tyagaraja.

dadhi navanIta is also used for neraval.
---
I think pallavi and anupallavi are not that commonly chosen because in most songs, there will usually be lots of sangatis for them, so why add neraval also?

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Ravi, Vijay and Bilahari: Thank you so much! Though she did not mention it, my guess is if the line chosen for niraval occurs mid-way through the compostion (say in the anupallavi) it would be convenient in the interests of time to improvise first and then continue on with the rest of the composition; MMI does this with "maanikkam vairam...." when singing Sivan's kaana kankodi vendum. Another example may be ARI's "vaasavaadi sakala deva vanditaaya..." while rendering Dikshitar's Sri Subramanyaya namaste. To be honest, I don't have a clear answer at the moment.
Last edited by knandago2001 on 18 Nov 2008, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

I've noticed that MDR takes up the pallavi lines of popular songs for RTPs - Subramanyaya Namasthe, Rama Nee Samanamevaru, Lokavanachathura but doesn't take the popular route for regular neravals - e.g. Drona Karna Duryodhanadhi hara for Balagopala, Satva Sree guru charanam in Manasu Guruguha, Varasitagiri Nilayuni in O Jagadamba, etc (can't remember others right now though I've noticed that the neraval line is different from the usual).

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Sri TK Govinda Rao always takes up.. "drONa karNa duryOdanAdhi hara.. " for neraval.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Shripathi, MDR has also taken up O Rangasayee for pallavi and done an excellent job. The recording is on Sangeethapriya in a concert probably better known for the sublime Nannu Palimpa.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Oh ok. I've never progressed beyond Nannu Palimpa in that concert. The swara prastharas for that song are simply amazing. Will get to it now.

Btw, I heard S Kalyanaraman take up the Pallavi line for Adamodi Galade. Was a delightful rendition.