Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Excellent CML,
I joined the sangeetam bboard with many request for lyrics/notations 5 years back and Sri Lakshman promptly provided them. He is infact omnipresent- if you visit any CM forums. A picture of him would be nice if you can provide.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I would love to oblige; but I don't have one, and again I will not violate his privacy without his permission. Let us visualize him as the saumitri as Thyagaraja described for us in 'pakkala nilabadi..

arasi

Post by arasi »

cml,
A fitting tribute for a worthy man. You have said it all. Even before I knew Sri.Lakshman at the Sangeetham BB, I had known of his dedication to CM and of his tireless efforts in preserving its treasures. His book Alphabetical Index of Karnatak Songs is an indispensable tool for all cm fans.
The patience and promptness with which he brings the songs to the Forum is well appreciated.
Sri.Lakshman operates on a low key. There is no play without all the dozens of men and women who work behind the scenes. In the Rasikas Forum, he provides props (the songs), knows all the ropes like a stage manager, and is an important part of its production team. In short, he follows CMusic ardently like Lakshmana followed Rama.
May his work flourish and enrich us all...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:cml,
In short, he follows CMusic ardently like Lakshmana followed Rama.
Arasi,
Mythili Sharan Gupt in his 'panchvaTI prasang' describes this shadowing so beautifully: As rAm and sItA set out to go into vanvAs, rAm notices lakshmaN behind them, then:

pUchA rAm ki 'tum kahAn?'
vinat vadan sE uttar pAyA -
'tum, mErE sarvaswa, jahAn'!

Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

WOW cml

excellent choice, and Lji contribution to CM community is greaty appreciated :)
THANKU very much Lji.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

“vEnkaTarAmasubrahmaNyau vandEâ€ÂÂÂ

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CML
Kudos...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

My interest in CM was dropping from 1991 to 2000 as I did not have enough oppurtunities to hear.
Then I saw the Karnatik.com site , all the fascinations about 1000 rAgas and all the composers
beautifully categorized . Shri Lakshman's and his karnatik.com team reminds me of Thomas Alva Edison's inspirational quote “Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration!â€ÂÂÂ

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The recording of "venkataramasubrahmanyau" in raga sankarabharanam, has been uploaded at the relevant post on page 10.

This is a composition that is best rendered in vilambita kala, and hence the file is a bit larger than usual - about 16 MB.

Meanwhile, kudos to CML for timely and appropriate compositions honoring two more "diggaja"s of CM appreciation - Lakshman Ragde and srkris.

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nicely done SR!
It is 2 kaLai (am I right?)

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

cmlover wrote:Nicely done SR!
It is 2 kaLai (am I right?)
Thanks. Yes, one can use either 1 or 2 kalas to reckon the tala.

SR

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Dear All: I am totally at a loss for words for all the kind comments that you have made. Thank you CML for the song you have composed in my honour. I am really overwhelmed by your kindness. My thanks should go to all of you, (especially Coolkarni) who have helped with the spreading of CM knowledge through this forum and other BBs. I got started in this out of frustration-when I was unable to find details about a sahitya and decided to do the research to find them. I am happy to be of help to others if it gives them the pleasure of enjoying, understanding and appreciating Karnatak music .
Again I thank you all.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear LakShmaN
Thanks have to be expressed though you are appreciated all along by the silent majority. In fact without your help over all these years the CM scenario would have been bleak. Everytime we hear a beautiful song we immediately think of you and like mAruti you are there in a trice. Many times the requests for what you may have posted come up again and tirelessly you post them again without the slightest hesitation. We pray to God to bless you with a long healthy life to serve the CM community globally for years to come.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=881&p=1
The OVK song posted by Shankar and discussed set me thinking a lot. Especially arasi's commenta
OVK's verbosity is endearing because he is overwhelmed with his love for Krishna and he can't but gush the way he does! 'thangu thaDai inRip pAyum pATTu' (free flowing, spontaneous verse). Minimalism is becoming of poetry but OVK is one of the exceptions.
OVK is always in the dance mood and hence he does not think in philosophical terms. If the mahAkavi were alive today I would start discussing my ideas with him (but lo! I can only do it with you folks and he can watch from wherever he is!).

Here is my modified lyric:

Pullai piRavi tara vENDuM
Ragamalikai

ChenchuruTTI

pullAi piRavi tara vENDum-kaNNA
pullAi piRavi tara vENDum

punidamAna palakOTi piRavi tandAlum
brindAvanam idiloru

pullAi piRavi tara vENDum

Kanada

pullAginum neduNAL nillAdu-AdalinAl
kallAi piRavi tara vENDum-oru siRu
kallAi piRavi tara vENDumE-kaNNA

Kamala malaraNigaL aNaiya enadu uLLam
pulakitamuRRiDum bhavamaRRiDum ena oru

kallAi piRavi tara vENDum

Sivaranjani

kallAkinum uNarvu illAtathu-AkayAl
nellAi piRavi tara vENDum- kaNNA

unatu uNavilE kalantu uyiruDan
uNarvuDan iNainthu suDar viDa- enakkoru

nellAi piRavi tara vENDum

Sindhubhairavi

nellai piRavitara iyalAtu -enil muDivil
sollAi piRavi tara vENdum- kaNNA
kaNNanenRa sollAi piRavi tara vENDum

ulakinil g~nAniyar bhaktakOTikaL uLanALvarai
un peyaruLLavarai uramuDan vAzha- nAn oru

sollAi piRavi tara vENDum

kaNNA....

Now here is my tentative audio for guidance..
http://rapidshare.de/files/28817897/Pul ... i.mp3.html

The word for word meaning for the first two stanzas have already been posted already by Shankar. I am sure Shankar/arasi will also post for the remaining two.

Following that I will lead you to the philosophical area of the discussion!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wow cml! Great editing!
What a daunting task, discussing this! Un iDaththil nAn enRu--in kALidAsA's place??!! Still, I couldn't resist (being one of those 'you know who'-s who are ready to rush in).
kALidAsa (says this unletterd one) and bhArathi have written terse verse, sheer essence--and also descriptive gems. I don't think pAnjAli sabadam would have turned out any better by being shorter by even a few pages. I love a crisp kernel of an AlApanai and revel in a rAgA elaboration in an RTP too.
Ambalappuzha pAyasam is the ultimate in essence. Does that mean kuRukkAda (not condensed) but delicious pAyasams are not to be praised? :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

SOME INDEPENDANCE DAY THOUGHTS

Sing of India - Hoary Mother
Land of ancient deeds of wonder
And her shrines, where people gather
In thousands, in great splendour

Think of India's ancient monarchs
How they ruled so well and wisely,
Kings - who were the country's bulwarks
Seeking peace, and fighting justly.

Forget all those days of serfdom
Full of ugly feuds and slaughters
Hail the rise and growth of Freedom
Mighty gift for our sons and daughters.

Bow to great men who have all won
Freedom's fight in glowing story
And to Gandhi, Indis's pet Son
Martyred on the eve of glory!

Work for Indis's fame and progress
To make her rich and truly great
With the lustre and the prowess
To be the all-time Welfare State

Pray for India and her millions
To always be in rectitude;
That shall bring her more than bullions
The Peace and Strength in certitude.

Take a cup of Indian Water,
When you in sickness cry and grind;
Drink, and feel well just soon after
With the name of Bharat, 'JAI HIND'

Gone are days of toil and tears
Born are days of Peace and Plenty;
Banish all doubts and all the fears
Secure in her teaming Bounty.

Love of People and of Learning
Fill the hearts of this Great Nation;
Pass this spirit and this yearning
From gen'ration to gen'ration!

JAI HIND

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

With the interest going on on viruttams; here is one to celebrate our goodfortune of having this website:

iniththa vambum,
idhayam niRai anbum
iDukkaN uRRa kaalai nal urayum
pashiththa chevikku nal isayum
paraman thuthiyum
koDukka valla ikkaNiniyaRai peRapeRRaarkku
maRRum vENduvathen immAnilaththE

Here is the audio
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... EB55D88CAF

and here is the meaning

iniththa vambum = a sweet smalltalk
idhayam niRai anbum = heart fulfilling love
iDukkaN uRRa kaalai nal urayum = good advice in times of depression
pashiththa chevikku nal isayum = good music for the starved ears
paraman thuthiyum = praise of the Lord
koDukka valla = capable of giving
ikkaNiniyaRai = this web-site
peRapeRRaarkku = to the (Rasikas) who got it
maRRum vENduvathen immAnilaththE = is there anything else they would want on this earth?

meena

Post by meena »

maRRum vENduvathen immAnilththE = is there anything else they would want on this earth?
yes and a good cup of hot chai pl. :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

There is a USB pluggable device available that will keep your cup of 'chai' warm as you continue to enjoy the Forum
http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/USB ... ARMER.HTML

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great verse, bard cml!
ichchuvai thavira yAn pOi chAi arundum achchuvai perinum vENDEn, rasikap peru makkaLE!
(in pachchai mAmalai pOL mEni, the AzhwAr sings: even if I am granted the boon of ruling indra lOkA, I would shun it because to sing and to savor the name of achchutA is the ultimate bliss).
Ah, these youngsters! Have to have their chAi, frappuccino ityAdi, even with all the gAna, vidyA, sambhAshaNa rasam!
Meena,
Please note: I have typed this only once ;)
Last edited by arasi on 31 Aug 2006, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meena, before you jump in, editing doesen't count!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

'chai' amuthaLiththu chaarnthiDa azhaiththapOthum, chaayaathu emai thoDarthal
chaanthuNayuM maRappilam yaam!
(even after being offered a nectarine 'chai'; not falling for it and still sticking with us, will not be forgotten by us until death do come!)
:)
editor edittal iyalpE; edittinum edittarkku iNa^Ngaamai paNpu :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

konnuTTEL pOngO!

arasi

Post by arasi »

paNbuNDenbadE eNNAm-
sAnROr illai enil adu poRuppadum
paNbE anRO?
Ayin, paNbukku pal varisai kATTi
sirikkavum vaippadu pagai EnReNNalAmO?
Last edited by arasi on 01 Sep 2006, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Good humor as its best, bards of the forum!!!!! :))

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The time has come to pay homage to the Royal composer HH JayacAmarAjA WoDeyAr. This is equally a Tribute to our dear DRS who has kept us spellbound for over a year exposing us to the musical excellence of this great RAja^RiShi! This was not just a 'musical expeperience'; it was also a 'devotional journey' with innumerable references to the secrets of Sri Vidya. Let me simply say 'thanks' to DRS and to all others who have made this journey memorable. We are almost on the eve of starting the pUja season. May the Goddess RajarAjEshvari bless us all as we remember the great king through his music, who coincidentally attained salvation 32 years ago almost at the start of navaratri (23-9-1974). Here is a small tribute on behalf of myself and you to him.

Jaya cAmarAja pancakaM

(1)tila^Ng

shrI vidyA pravINa bhakta varyaM
shri yadukula prasUna vibhavaM
sa^NgIta shAstra vidvat bhUShaNaM
jayati jayati jaya cAmarAjEndra bhUpaM

(2)cencuruTTi

satyapremakumAri tripurasundari dEvyau samEtaM
mAhiShapuryAM maNiratna maNDapE virAjitaM
rAjaM rAjEndraM rAjapramukhaM rAjagaNa sEvitaM

(3)nAdanAmakriyA

bhArata pAshcAtya sangIta shAstra vidaktaM
vAggEyakAratArakavrinda ujvalacAru candraM
sa^NgItavidvat samUha kalpalatikaM

(4)kApi

santataM sAvaShTamba sundara sugAtrakaM
sArvajanahitanirataM sumadhura bhAShitaM
svarAjyamEva navabhArtIM sammAnita n^RipavaraM

(5)sindhubhairavi

dAnE vaishravaNaM g~nAnE sAkShAt bhAratI
rucE bhAskaraM rAjyapAlanE rAmacandraM
kO nu asi tavatulyaM rAjan! dhanyA karNATakadEshavAsI

Running translation and Annotation

(1)Victory to thee Oh King JayacAmarAjA! who is an accomplished shrI vidyA upAsaka and a great devotee of Goddess cAmuNDEshvari. He one who has the high honour of being born in the (hoary) yAdava kula. He is indeed ornamented by the in-depth knowledge of sa^NgIta shAstra.

The reference to yAdavas is historical since it is claimed that the WoDeyArs came
originally from dvAraka. The JC thread as expounded by DRS is the outstanding proof of the erudition and depth of knowledge of CM by the late king.

(2)Victory to thee Oh King JayacAmarAjA! Who reigns in splendour at the bejewlled
golden palace at Mysore accompanied by the Queens HH Satyapremakumari and HH Tripuarasundari as a stellar king and later as Rajapramukh, respected by a host of royalty.

HH JayacAmarAjA WoDeyAr was a highly respected among the Indian Royalty as well as by King George VI himself and holds the Family title of 'Bahadur' as a sign of respect. He was also later the Governor of Mysore as well as Madras under the Govt of India.

mAhiShapuri is the ancient name for Mysore.

(3)Victory to thee Oh King JayacAmarAjA! Who is an expert in both Indian and Western systems of Music, who shines like the moon among the cluster of stellar Music Composers, who is like the wish-granting-tree (kalpataru) to Musicians everywhere.

HH JayacAmarAjA WoDeyAr was a great scholar of WM as well. He was the first President of Philharmonic Concert Society (London 1948) and he brought out several rare WM compositions besides dicovering the Russian Composer Nikolai Medtner for the Wetern world. He has notated a number of CM compositions including his own in Western notations (waiting to be published!). It is no exaggeration that he was a great patron of CM musicians and in addition to being a great composer he was a great Rasika of CM. (Plese refer to the JC thread of DRS for all the details).

(4)Victory to thee Oh King JayacAmarAjA! Who has always a imperial handsome looks, one who constantly cared for all the people, who spoke in a sweet voice and one who gifted his own kingdom to Mother India.

HH JayacAmarAjA WoDeyAr was indeed Royalty personified from his ravishing looks and grandeur. He was the very first king to offer to join the Indian Union on the eve of Independance.

(5)Victory to thee Oh King JayacAmarAjA! Who in charity was like Kubera and in
knowledge Sarasvati herself and in effulgence like sUrya and in governing the
country shri Ramachandra. Oh King! Is there any one comparable to you? Blessed are the people of KarNaTaka!

Here is a notional audio for your guidance

http://rapidshare.de/files/33245193/Jay ... ncakam.mp3

I will appreciate your rendering this more colourfully!

sarvE shrI vidyA anugraha prAptirastu |

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

CML, thanks on behalf of people who are tongue tied as far as sanskritology and musicology are concerned - of whom I am a good representative. :D

So thanks for this song.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML,
Fantastic!!!
I actually understood the composition...it flows superbly...
Thank you for involving us in your tribute.
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

cml

very nice, thanks for providing the translation or i would have been lost.
How long did it take for u to compose?

Thanku.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Meena
I composed this last night. It took more time to write the interpretations and getting this computer-ready!
( I thought the sanskrit is too simple for everybody to understand with ease :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Indeed a good composition!

I have one question cmlover. What is the chandas you have followed for the panchaka? Even though the last pAda is same in all the 5 shlokas, the pAdas in the 5 seem to be unequal length - This could just be because of transliteration into english - Could you educate me on this?

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 16 Sep 2006, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Great CML,

Very nice composition about a composer king!

I just completed compiling all the compositions, meaning , rAga lakshanas of Odeyar kritis posted by DRS (dinosaur effort indeed)and started to enjoy them.
Thanks to all who participated in that thread and brought out the beautiful compositions of Odeyar.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nice composition CML. Thanks.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

This is a free flowing composition! As much as an aShTakam has eight stanzas the pancakam has five. It will not fit into the shloka category and hence has to be lumped along with asamav^Ritta comparable to 'blank verse'.

Am I correct in designating Mysore as mAhiShapuri?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote:Am I correct in designating Mysore as mAhiShapuri?
I do not see anything wrong in that - We have instances (*) where it is referred as mahisUru - Changing Uru to puri in samskrita is quite valid IMO.

(*) - in HMB's daru in kamach

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Nice poesy on oDeyar CML. Mysore is usually referred as mahiShapura. mahiShapuri, the feminine version can be accepted.

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

CML, very nice panchakam. But the last stanza seems not to be in rhythm as compared to the previous ones. I might be wrong, but could you just clarify? I remember having seen Mahisurapura written in a painting in the palace.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You are quite right sudarshan, the last stanza is different structurally and grammatically. Whereas the other stanzas are addressed in the third person (Him etc., Victory to him) ; the last stanza is partly addressed to the King himself! First there is the rhetorical question 'Is there indeed any King equivalent to you as you are?' As again 'g~nAnE sAkShAt bhAratI' is a stand alone sentence as ' g~nAnE sAkShAt bhAratI (tvam asi)' (in knowledge/intelligence Goddess Sarasvati Herself you are) conceiving of him as an avatara of Devi Herself which iis totally justified from these inspired compositions as well as his profound works on vedanta! The idea is similar to the popular concept that Lord Subramanya incarnated himself as AruNagiri to compose Thiruppugazh. You will also note that 'dhanyA karNATakadEshavAsI' is a stand alone exclamatory sentence complimenting the people and atmosphere in karnataka during his time that promoted excellence in CM and Fine Arts!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CML
Thats a good one
Thank you

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Words fail me sir, a befitting ode to you a King Philosopher. jayati jayati jayahO CML.

Many decades ago vainika pravIna and saMgIta visharada Venkatagiriyappa had composed a similar paMca ratna rAgamAlika in rAga kalyANI, shuddha baMgALa, hiMdOLa, bilahari and madhyamAvati on the on HH’s birthday!

I feel your effort is more meaningful and aptly describes the multi faceted personality of oDeyar.

I was also surprised by your description of oDeyar as rAjarishi! For old Mysoreans, this an epithet commonly associated with the ascetic king Nalvadi Krishna Raja Wadiyar. JCRW is generally described by other epithets like philosopher King or dakshina bhOja etc. But you are in exalted company. Nobel laureate Dr. Sir. C.V.Raman, while delivering an address at Mysore University in 1962 when the Maharaja was honored with Doctor of Laws, honoris causa stated thus:

The Sanskrit language-itself the mother of languages-enshrines the learning and literature, the science and the philosophy, the religion and culture of ancient India. No one could claim to have really understood India who is not familiar with Sanskrit and is not steeped in the knowledge that has come down to us through the ages in that language. His Highness's mastery of Sanskrit will be evident to anyone who has perused his translation of the works and his exposition of the philosophy of Dattatreya.

His Highness's interest in the life and activities of the people has been manifested by his participation in innumerable public functions in various parts of the State. His pronouncements on these occasions have always been remarkable for the practical wisdom, which they embodied, combined with a clarity of thought and a happy choice of language that is the mark of true scholarship. There is little doubt that his words sank deep into the minds of his listeners and left there a profound impression of his personality. Other parts of India as well, have not been slow to call upon His Highness for similar services. It is remarkable that His Highness found it possible to accept such calls and thus spread the benefits of his scholarship and practical wisdom over the whole country.

We are very happy indeed that it has been possible for His Highness in recent years to travel abroad extensively. He has visited many countries and contacted their leaders and lectured at various places and institutions. In these travels, he has been truly the Ambassador of India at large. He has conveyed by his lectures and even more through his personal contacts a vivid idea of the sources of the real greatness of our country. We have noted with pleasure that he has been received everywhere with marked respect and enthusiasm.

Philosophic thought and practical wisdom in dealing with the affairs of life are not so remote from each other as one might be tempted to imagine. But it is not common to find them so happily united as we find in our Highness. I am reminded here of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, a work which immortalized the name of that Roman Emperor, while the names of many who preceded and succeeded him in power have sunk into oblivion. There is in the Sanskrit language, a word, Rajarishi, meaning one who is both a ruler and a sage which aptly describes the personality, and attainments of His Highness.
"¦"¦"¦..

You are right about describing him as born in Yadu kula (I missed out in answering your query in this regard earlier!) Wadiyars belong to athrEyasa gOtra and asvalAyana sUtra. In fact Annals of Mysore Royal family even delineates 63 long lineages from Vishnu to shRutasEna and another thirteen in kaliyuga up to YadurAya who is credited as the founder of Mysore Dynasty in 1399.

According to a book Mysore Maharaja caritaM , Mysore is described as mahsihapura. As a matter of fact at the time of YadurAya, Mysore as a place did not exist. The dynsaty was founded at a place known as haDadana. when was the place mahsihapura/maisuru came in to existance is little obscure. But the country around mahablAdri (ancient name of cAmuMDi Hill) was known as mahisha mandala.
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 17 Sep 2006, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks RC

Nice to read the remarks of Sir CV Raman. No wonder while he had the whole of Bharat to choose from, he decided to settle down at Bangalore. For a long time Bangalore had been the beacon of science for many of us in India. Yet another aspect that we have not explored in detail on JC is his being a great Sportsman. You have referred to them briefly earlier and I read elsewhere that JC was responsible for promoting Ramanthan Krishnan as also Prasanna the famous criketeer. As we focus here mainly on Music we should not forget JC's contributions to the promotion of excellence in all other human activities which I tried to capture in a single expressio 'sArvajanahitanirataM '

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover
Nice one . Can you give us some insight on why you choosed the ragAs tilang to sindhubhairavi ,any insights on the order. Incidentally all along when it comes to rAgamaliga time immemorial the last is usually sindhubhairavi.? Great work!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

rajeshnat

You have basically answered your query. I have set all the traditional ragamalika ragas and no surprises. I was toying with the idea of starting with one of the raga invented by HH JayacAmarAjA WoDeyAr . In fact I tried starting on Jayasmvardhani and not being a musician I failed miserably; the closest I could come was Jaganmohini and I cannot fob off a poor imitation in a tribute. Hence I chose tilang which is exotic and dignified for the King! I would love to see the ragamalika rendered by our rasikas probably reviving the rare ragsas gifted to CM by His Highness (dUrvAnki, pratApavarALi, bhOgavasantaM etc.,). In fact DRS has done a great service by explaining the architecture of these ragas with the audio for the kritis. I am waiting to hear some of them rendered and applied to new kritis...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

CML,

Thanks for a fine composition on Jayachamaraja Wodeyar, and for keeping the thread alive ! I will be back in the action soon - currently deluged by various commitments which I hope to dispose of soon. BTW I have a composition on Swati Tirunal in Sankarabharanam; I will present it in due course.

Sneak preview of upcoming offerings: "vallabham sOraThapramukham" (rag surati) and "candravAsum cintayE" (rag desh). I leave it to the rasiks to guess the subjects of these compositions !

Best Wishes,
Sangeet Rasik

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welcome SR!
vallabham sOraThapramukham; My best guess is on Sardar Vallabhai Patel, the Iron Man of India!

Look forward to them!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

"candravAsum cintayE" (rag desh)

Subhas Chandra Bose?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

rajeshnat wrote:cmlover
Incidentally all along when it comes to rAgamaliga time immemorial the last is usually sindhubhairavi.?
This is a take from Hindustani system I think. A hindustani kacheri normally ends with bhairavi, which is considered a mangaLakAri rAga. And hindustAni bhairavi is none other than our sindhubhairavi ..

-Ramakriya

arasi

Post by arasi »

cml,
Thank you for the pA(l) pAyasam! A fitting way to conclude DRS's incredible work on Odeyar's compositions and of other erudite participants--including the pancaka kavi.

JCW was Satya prema kumari and Tripura sundari's pathi-at different times, one coming after the other. Does the word samEtam convey it?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Arasi
I did not mean concurrency as indicated by the plain meaning of 'samEtam'. Symbolically JC reigned with 'satyaM', prEmaM' and 'sundaraM' all along. He is the personification of
satyam shivam sundaran!

Have you ever seen him inperson? I have seen him a few times as the Governor of Madras. In those days whenever we wanted to describe a person of majestic appearance we used to say 'avar Mysor Maharaja maathiri iruppAr' (that person appears (in grandeur) like the Highness of Mysore)! I particularly chose the word 'sAvaShTamba' with that in mind!

arasi

Post by arasi »

cml,
My! How insensitive of me not to see the beauty of your employing the names in singing richly of his guNAs! I am glad I asked the stupid question though; otherwise I would have missed the impact.
Yes, I have seen him a few times. Twice been on the dais with him, singing the invocation at our (one and the same alma mater) college day celebrations :)
Last edited by arasi on 21 Sep 2006, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.