M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

It is alright, cienu sir. I am really thankful to you for taking such a lot of strain to search for the recording. Thank you, for considering my request. It is really alright if the continuation is not there; the main neraval and swarakalpana are itself enough to satisfy the listener. Indeed, it was such a good exploration. I am really jealous of all the people who heard that fabulous concert live!! Please try to upload the rest of the concert, if you can. Once again, I thank you for taking the painstaking effort. I am sorry if I had given any trouble to you. Thank you!! =)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Readers:As a late visitor to this forum and not having yet grasped the structure and organisation of the posts on various topics,I have written extensively on MS in the section on CM Books where a mention was made of the latest book written by Gowri Ramnarayanan--my posts were more personal reminiscences about MS Mami and Sadasiva Mama than about the book itself. Judging from the responses of the rasiksas to those posts,they seem to have been well received(they are the most benign,civil , tolerant set of readers !!).
This is simply to redirect readers to those posts!!
Naturally would like to know readers reactions after perusing the "threads"!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

linking to the thread Sri. Ramasubramanian is referring to: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... on-p2.html

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear Vasanthakokilam: Thanks for the "redirect"--Now I have one more request--in the MS Book "thread" one of the readers had asked to comment on the MSS-TS relationships which as you may have noted I did. In the same string there were requests for DKP-Iswaran,SGK-KBS relationships.

I would like to comment on the SGK-KBS topic- How do I go about it? Can someone start it so that I can join!!.
Thanks from a 21st century "luddite" struggling to extricate himself from the 19th century!!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

MKR, It so turns out that r-t recently started a conversation on KBS here: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ambal.html

You can post KBS related matters there.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

srkris wrote:Image

M.S. with Sundaresa Iyer and Trichy Shankaran in RLV Academy, Tripunithura
The Mridangam player in the picture is not Trichy Sankaran. Sankaran sir has not played for MS in his whole career I guess...

Ramasubramanian M.K

The Mridangam Player is V.Nagarajan--who subsequently switched to Kanjira(left-handed). VN is the second son of the Vilolinist PAPA Venkatramaiah and he was a disciple of Palghat mani Iyer. regards, trichy Sankaran I agree to my knowledge he has not accompanied MS.

But Sankaran made his big debut with Semmangudi,TNK,his Guru Palani Subramania Pillai at the wedding concert of Radha and Vijaya(daughters of MS/TS) in 1957 at the Kalki gardens--that is about the closest professional connnection that Sankaran Sir had with the family although being a great artist Trichy Sankaran was held in high respect by both Mama and Mami(thanks to the untiring efforts of Semmangudi mama,in the absence of PSP who died prematurely in the Mid-sixties when Trichy Sankaran's star was just rising. To his credit Trichy Sankaran did not sit on his laurels and despite his migration to canada for the last 35 plus years, and the lack of "test Match" opportutnities to accompany giants regularly(as he would have had in Chennai),he has kept his art at its pinnacle and trained many students in York University and still plays superb!!

Sorry for the digression.

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Added some select pieces of MSS's 1967 concert at "Parvathi", Mysore with T.K. Murthy and V.V. Subramaniam. Photos in earlier postings. http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cienu ,
Perhaps only you can answer this two as possibly you may have to ask your amma

1. What is the songlist of Smt MS subhalakshmi for the 1968 Music Academy Sangeetha kalAnidhi concert? This list is not available in the msstribute website, could you add it please in the url http://www.msstribute.org/music.php

2. I heard some time before thru grapevine, that Smt MS along with Smt rAdha vishwanAthan had sung the mega melakartha rAgamAliga pranathAthi hara of maha vaidyanatha sivan. Was it sung on 2 different concerts or in the same concert this 2*36 mega rAgamAliga ?

Could you throw more light on both?

cacm

Post by cacm »

She sang it in two successive years separately each half at music academy. VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vkv43034 wrote:She sang it in two successive years separately each half at music academy. VKV
Did you or anyone else in this forum hear that live concert.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I did not hear the concert live but several persons I know-mostly Vidwans- heard it in person. I have a recording made by Rubin Mama given to me at artists request. VKV

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

I think MSS sang the 72 mela chakra malika over 6 years - 2 chakrams per year. The first 2 parts are in circulation in the internet - kanakangi to roopavathi and the second part gayakapriya to varunapriya. The compilation of live renderings from 6 six years has been released an EMI LP.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

annamalai wrote:The compilation of live renderings from 6 six years has been released an EMI LP.
Are you sure about that, I have a personal cd of this ms rendition. Though it does not say anything whether it is 2 or 6. But just hearing that it appears as two recordings of sudda and prathi rAgas. Let us get more opinion, perhaps cienu can help

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/09/16/stor ... 460100.htm

There are two MS amma's concert photos.. The mrudangam artiste on the right hand side photo , appears to be like trichy sankaran going by the posture ( even though not clear )..
Last edited by semmu86 on 01 Sep 2009, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

annamalai wrote:I think MSS sang the 72 mela chakra malika over 6 years - 2 chakrams per year. The first 2 parts are in circulation in the internet - kanakangi to roopavathi and the second part gayakapriya to varunapriya. The compilation of live renderings from 6 six years has been released an EMI LP.
I have the cd with me as well as the academy recording& they are different. The cd recording was separate. Do not know about LP- The cd recording could have been first recorded for cassette release. VKV
Last edited by cacm on 01 Sep 2009, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

vkv43034 wrote:
annamalai wrote:I think MSS sang the 72 mela chakra malika over 6 years - 2 chakrams per year. The first 2 parts are in circulation in the internet - kanakangi to roopavathi and the second part gayakapriya to varunapriya. The compilation of live renderings from 6 six years has been released an EMI LP.
I have the cd with me as well as the academy recording& they are different. The cd recording was separate. Do not know about LP- The cd recording could have been first recorded for cassette release. VKV
M.S Sang the Mela ragamalika chakra from 1968 to 1973 in her Music academy concerts .But the LP and Cxassette were released in 1988 as a separate recording

cienu

Post by cienu »

semmu86 wrote:http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/09/16/stor ... 460100.htm

There are two MS amma's concert photos.. The mrudangam artiste on the right hand side photo , appears to be like trichy sankaran going by the posture ( even though not clear )..
The artist is V Nagarajan. Ref Post # 257.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VKV /Annamalai/baboosh
Thanks for the mela rAgamAlikA clarification.
Can one of you post the song list of MS in Academy 1968 Sangeetha kalanidhi concert.?
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Sep 2009, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote: Can one of you post the song list of MS in Academy 1968 Sangeetha kalanidhi concert.?
Smt M.S.Subbulakshmi - Vocal
Smt Radha Viswanathan - Vocal Support
Sri V.V.Subrahmanyam - Violin
Sri T.K.Murthy - Mridangam
Sri T.H.Vinayakaram - Ghatam
Sri Mahadevan - Morsing
01. Entaraani Tanakenta - Harikambodhi - Adi - Tyagaraja
02. Jnaana Mosagaraada - Purvikalyani - Rupakam - Tyagaraja
03. Enneramum Undan - Devagandhari - Adi - Gopalakrishna Bharati
04. Ikanaina - Pushpalatika - Adi - Tirupati Narayanaswami Naidu
05. Gopalaka Paahimaam - Revagupti - Mishra Chapu - Maharaja Swati Tirunal
06. Kalaapa Mauleem (Shloka) - Shankarabharanam [Followed by]
07. Sadashivam Upaasmahe - Shankarabharanam - Adi - Muttuswami Dikshitar [Followed by Tani Avartanam]
08. Melaragamalikachakra (from Kanakangi to Rupavati) - Ragamalika - Adi - Mahavaidyanatha Sivan
09. Neelayatakshi - Paras - Tishra Triputa - Shyama Shastri
10. RTP (Amba Madhura Meenakshi Maam Paahi Devi) - Bhairavi - Tishra Triputa (4 kalai)
11. Jagadoddharana - Hindustani Kaapi - Adi - Purandaradasa
12. Tillana - Dhanasri - Adi - Maharaja Swati Tirunal
13. Sharavanabhava - Shanmukhapriya - Adi - Papanasam Sivan
14. Maitreem Bhajata - H.H. Jagadguru Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham
15. Mangalam - Saurashtram - Adi - Tyagaraja
Last edited by cienu on 02 Sep 2009, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Rajesh - if you haven't heard the recording, it is here

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/vasu/MSS ... hiConcert/

-hari

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

cienu wrote:
Some more rare concert (including chamber concert) videos are in the process of being uploaded by July end from Paramparaa1916 channel.

Sir...
Can you please give an update on as when these videos will be available in the parampara Channel...Can we also get a few rare recordings of M.S.Amma which are not there in Sangeethapriya to celebrate the September 16th of this month ?

Aditya :)

subramanianpp

Post by subramanianpp »

I have gone through all hte posts in MS forum. I myself is an ardent baktha of this jewel of carnatic no Indian music Such divine presence on the stage , one is yet to come across. When she sings Kuraiontrum Illai especially in the last charanam, she transposes each and every listner to a sblime world of bakthi and devotion is it not? The element of bakthi has been very very stong in the later years of her concerts. If at all there is one true Bharat Ratna MSS is the one.

On going through the posts I see that there are a number of rare and unheard concerts including chamber concerts going around. Many of the links shown have beocme defunct. Can any one of you guide me to some active location from where I can download them

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Someone has posted these links on the net. I don't know if these have already been posted on rasikas.org

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=640c ... 0a1ae8665a

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

subramanianpp wrote:I have gone through all hte posts in MS forum. I myself is an ardent baktha of this jewel of carnatic no Indian music Such divine presence on the stage , one is yet to come across. When she sings Kuraiontrum Illai especially in the last charanam, she transposes each and every listner to a sblime world of bakthi and devotion is it not? The element of bakthi has been very very stong in the later years of her concerts. If at all there is one true Bharat Ratna MSS is the one.

On going through the posts I see that there are a number of rare and unheard concerts including chamber concerts going around. Many of the links shown have beocme defunct. Can any one of you guide me to some active location from where I can download them
This is Mami's Academy kutcheri, December 2008

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:The Mridangam Player is V.Nagarajan--who subsequently switched to Kanjira(left-handed). VN is the second son of the Vilolinist PAPA Venkatramaiah and he was a disciple of Palghat mani Iyer. regards, trichy Sankaran I agree to my knowledge he has not accompanied MS.

But Sankaran made his big debut with Semmangudi,TNK,his Guru Palani Subramania Pillai at the wedding concert of Radha and Vijaya(daughters of MS/TS) in 1957 at the Kalki gardens--that is about the closest professional connnection that Sankaran Sir had with the family although being a great artist Trichy Sankaran was held in high respect by both Mama and Mami(thanks to the untiring efforts of Semmangudi mama,in the absence of PSP who died prematurely in the Mid-sixties when Trichy Sankaran's star was just rising. To his credit Trichy Sankaran did not sit on his laurels and despite his migration to canada for the last 35 plus years, and the lack of "test Match" opportutnities to accompany giants regularly(as he would have had in Chennai),he has kept his art at its pinnacle and trained many students in York University and still plays superb!!

Sorry for the digression.
Thanks alot for the rare pics :))))))

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

rajeshnat wrote:Cienu ,

1. What is the songlist of Smt MS subhalakshmi for the 1968 Music Academy Sangeetha kalAnidhi concert? This list is not available in the msstribute website, could you add it please in the url http://www.msstribute.org/music.php

2. I heard some time before thru grapevine, that Smt MS along with Smt rAdha vishwanAthan had sung the mega melakartha rAgamAliga pranathAthi hara of maha vaidyanatha sivan. Was it sung on 2 different concerts or in the same concert this 2*36 mega rAgamAliga ?

For the second question, yes Amma & Mami have sung two chakras from her Sangeetha Kalanidhi concert ie 1968 in the Academy. She did not perform in the year 1972 as Rajaji passed away that year. The entire recording of Shuddha madhyama ragas as well as Prati madhyama ragas are commercially available :)

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Happy birthday to MS amma. Sure, she will be blessing all of us from heaven.

Here, is one of my dream song list from MS Amma's collections, with many of favorites from my home, dedicated to memory of MS amma on her 93th birthday

1. om namah pranavarthaya - slokam
1a. Sri maha ganapathi - gowlai
2. tera teyika rada - gowlipandu
3. guru leka etuvanti - gowri manohari (swara @ guruleka)
4. shankara dayakara - hari kambhodi (neraval & swara at manril naTamADum uyar vilaiyErum perumAnE)
5. ka vaa vaa - varali (alapana, swara @ ka vaa vaa)
6. janani ninnu vina - reetigowlai
7. brahma kadigina padamu - mukhari
8. hiranmayim lakshmim - lalitha
9. sankaracharyam - shankarabharanam (alapana, neraval & swara @ parama jyana latala valam and tani avarthanam)
10. devi brova samayamide - chintamani
11. mamava pattabirama - manirangu
12. petra tai tanai marandalum - viruttam
13a. shiva shiva shiva bho - nadanamakriya
13. hari tuma haro - meera bhajan
14. vadasi yadi (ashtapadi) - mukhari
15. gange mampahi - chenchuruti
16. maye tvam - tarangini
17. jagado darana - kapi
18. bruhi mukundeti - chenchuruti
19. maitreem bhajata -
20. nada vindu kaladhi - chenchuruti
21. kurai ondrum illai - ragamalika
22. thillana - dhanasri

-hari

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Happy Birthday to M.S.Amma ! :)

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

~*MS*Maniac~ wrote:

For the second question, yes Amma & Mami have sung two chakras from her Sangeetha Kalanidhi concert ie 1968 in the Academy. She did not perform in the year 1972 as Rajaji passed away that year. The entire recording of Shuddha madhyama ragas as well as Prati madhyama ragas are commercially available :)

When Rajaji died,she did not perform on 25th,but sang later on 27th December or so I remember

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There is a great writeup on MS ammA, the hall photo in UK is just too good, is that hall still there.

Also just knew that she moved from kalki gardens to a rented house near valluvar kottam in 1977. I have just gone few times, when I was in 7th or 8th std I guess, have recollections of smt subhalakshmi and shri sAdAsivam,I never knew then she was M S, as one of the greatest musicians then, I thought she sings few slokhams and few hmv casettes that is all I knew then.

MS amma was very unassuming then , all I could tell her is my elderly cousin sister was quite close to her, she even came to her wedding if I remember right in 1986. My mom and my cousin's mother (periamma) just knew her and they pleasantly used to exchange few words

BTW about the house near valluvarkottam, certainly very small one , two small buildings(one occupied by ms and the other by some one else) with just ground floor house, though that house had a fairly large open space in the front. Can some one tell me where is kalki gardens is that in kilpauk , I am sure something else has come up,what has come up there.

Right now in valluvarkottam house where Smt MS stayed was razed down and the nearby another big house have both been demolished , a 13 + floor concrete apartments is there, it is just opposite to independence day park which is adjacent to valluvarkottam.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/09/18/stor ... 290600.htm
Last edited by rajeshnat on 19 Sep 2009, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/09/18/stor ... 290600.htm

Nice article. Some points to be noted are:

The sprawling Kalki Gardens where she and her husband had lived for three decades and had entertained every celebrity possible and had hosted lunches and dinners for many friends and well-wishers, had been sold owing to financial compulsions. Every paisa earned during the concert tour had gone for charity. Had M.S. or Sadasivam so wished, they could have asked for and got a share of the proceeds for themselves.

It would have been a shock for anyone and for today’s generation where a "mood out"

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

baboosh wrote:
~*MS*Maniac~ wrote:

When Rajaji died,she did not perform on 25th,but sang later on 27th December or so I remember
Academy ??? I dont think she has performed that year .
As you see, 1973 has the next two chakras after 1971 Academy concert.

arasi

Post by arasi »

With the funds which flooded in with the hundreds of concerts she gave, the Sadasivams would have owned a pretty chunk of Chennai, and a few homes scattered through India. True, we have many philanthropists even today. But I don't know of any who would give everything away without keeping a chunk for themselves.
Then again, that is what made MS a true bhArata ratna--India's gem in the true sense.
Rajesh,
They lived a simple life. She identified herself with all women without making them feel that she was superior to them. Did her guru have to advertize his greatness?

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote:Can some one tell me where is kalki gardens is that in kilpauk , I am sure something else has come up,what has come up there.
The Kalki Gardens is located in Dr Guruswami Mudaliar Road - Chetput which is close to Pachaiyappa College.

Please find below links for 2 articles from "The Hindu" by Gowri Ramnarayan and S.Muthiah.

http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/mp/200 ... 040100.htm
http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/mp/200 ... 120300.htm

Thankfully the main building till today stands un - demolished. I did visit Kalki Gardens (now Maharishi Gardens) around a year back. A lot of memories came flooding back. I climbed the stairs and went up to the first floor, but could not proceed further. The concerned person who could have authorised my entry was unfortunately on leave that day.

Maybe we we could plan a visit during the December season and I shall try and obtain the required permission from the Maharishi Management.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Cienu,
You may or may not know that the person behind the scenes who was totally responsible for Maheshyogi buying Kalki Gardens- tho' I do not know the EXACT owner- was the famous Physicist E.C.G. Sudarshan(who is at Austin Tx as Prof- & missed the Nobel Prize TWICE due to Physics Politics); If you are interested in the period 1966 onwards reg North America ESP I will be happy to buy you a dinner & describe the inner details. My email is: vkv43034@yahoo.com. I will be in Chennai during Dec5-March1 & you can reach me by email or leaving a message at Cleveland Sundaram's no: 24914103. PL make sure it is VVS or his wife Gomathi as any number of persons can pick up the phone! VKV
Last edited by cacm on 20 Sep 2009, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear vkv43034,

I would certainly be delighted to meet you this season. Will send a mail to you shortly. :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

My eyes fill with tears as I read the history of the Kalki Gardens. If only the stones could talk what a magnificent story they would tell! This is where the uncrowned Royalty of CM reigned and from where the Queen-consort doled out largesses to innumerable charities. It was indeed a temple where the musical eliites would assemble to pay homage to CM through their favourite votary! Sorry to note the TN govt failed to protect it as a national monument. Taxpayers would never have grudged the worthy cause! Let us at least try to preserve and cherish the memories. Thanks to MKR and VKV for capturing some of the glimpses. Keep them coming before your memories start fading!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In the first article that cienu has posted in the hindu ,There is a mention about "What a galaxy of writers haunted the building through the decades! With an editorial team including Tumilan, Nadodi, Vasanthan, Somas, Saavi, Bhagirathan, Jayamani Subramaniam.
FYI, Tumilan is father in law of manakkAl rangarAjan.

Thanks cienu for that link , i remember reading long time though not fully that article , the place is wrongly mentioned as kilpauk and not chetput, I am suspecting chetput carved out of kilpauk a little later with a seperate pincode.

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

I found this picture really amazing !!!!!! I though i would photoshop it :)))
Last edited by ~*MS*Maniac~ on 20 Sep 2009, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ThX for that picture! Just divine! Just look at those eyes brimming wth compassion!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajesh
Didn't know that fact about Thumilan and MaNakkaal. I used to read him avidly. I was thinking in that galaxy of stars, our Arasi would have beeen also among them had she started publishing her 'kavithai' in kalaimagaL in those days. But then she would have missed the call from angle terre!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Thanks for that srinicasrgvn, very good read!

Are many people here facebook users. I was wondering what the story is with the GNB fan page, it has letters from MSS written to GNB. Are these real or fakes?

~*MS*Maniac~

Post by ~*MS*Maniac~ »

Rasika911 wrote:Thanks for that srinicasrgvn, very good read!

Are many people here facebook users. I was wondering what the story is with the GNB fan page, it has letters from MSS written to GNB. Are these real or fakes?
They claim to be real. They are quoted by TS.George in his book too .
Well they are an artiste's past, we shouldn't dig them you see ! May I hv the facebook link ??

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML of the MAS,
That was news! Didn't realize Tumilan was ManakkAl's father-in-law. How does Rajesh, a much later edition, know all this? Of course, I thought greatly of him, Savi, nADODi and all those humorists! There was Devan writing in Anada vigaDan and along with Kalki, they were a galaxy of humorous writers who made us look forward to every weekly issue of Kalki and AV. I would catch the paper boy at the end of the street before he came to deliver, read my favorite writers in the yard and then bring the magazines in! Our childhood was lit up with the sparks of their humor.
A lovely picture of MS.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ha! Devan - the unforgettable...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

srinivasrgvn

Nice write-up; especially the highlighted one. There is some evidence of precognition though not scientifically validated. ECG Sudarshan's Tachyon theory if validated would support the possibility. But then they stopped funding him. VKV will know the whole story. Apparently Gayathri is quite sensitive and receptive that she was able to foresee the event and especially her devotion to MS is quite intense.

cacm

Post by cacm »

The intersting thing about ECG'S Tachyon paper is they would not publish it though NO ONE could find anything wrong with the paper or the idea!.......Scientists are NOT unique when it comes to ideas that startle them & things they cannot comprehend! Of course today with even more exotic ideas like Sring Theory ECG'S work is considered ground breakingly BRILLIANT.....Which is why saying BRAHMAN is TRUTH MAY BE TRUE!....cm lover has a brilliant way to provoke me to write more than I should! VKV