how we can ensure that the talam is correct in second speed

To teach and learn Indian classical music
praveena

Post by praveena »

Dear sir,

Could u tell me while playing the sahityam second speed, how can we ensure that the talam is correct in second speed, becos I may miss fraction of second here and there. I play varnams in violin directly in sahityam, is it ok to play directly sahityam in two speeds.

Thanking you.
Last edited by praveena on 24 Jul 2007, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Try practicing with a talometer or metronome

appu

Post by appu »

To the above suggestion by Shri Mohan, also try singing the varnam with talam. If it comes to talam when you sing most likely it will come to talam when you play it on the violin.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

I have seen a few violinists keeping talam using their feet. Can someone please explain how this is done?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, praveena, What our brother-member, mohan suggested is absolutely correct. Generally, our musicians never suggest to practice along with a Metronome, a Tala-machine. More over, they create hatred or aversion towards the practice along with the Metronome. Around 40 years back when I, at first, met Shri M.S.Gopalakrishnan he suggested ‘Never take out the Violin without Metronome’. As I have followed it sincerely in letter and spirit I have become more efficient in the rhythmical aspect. In general, the students suffer a lot for the inefficient teaching of the Teachers. I can firmly tell this and, if it is required, I can even prove this beyond any doubt having found in my teaching life spread over for more than 40 years. Thus, this is not your defect but your teacher’s. That is why the teacher should, at first, ensure that the rhythmical instinct of the aspirant is at the required level to start teaching music than demanding money. amsharma.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, shadjam, People are used to keep Tala using the right foot or the left foot or both.
Somebody asked another ‘which side is preferred to let the dog go’ and another replied ‘no matter of the sides if it goes without hurting us’. Like that no matter of which foot you use but you should maintain the rhythm properly. If you keep the Violin at the right ankle you can use either of them or both. But, if you keep the Violin just below the big toe it will not enable you to use your right foot. It is always better to keep Tala using your feet along with Metronome. amsharma.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Sharma sir,

Thanks a lot for the info.

twister

Post by twister »

msakella wrote:Dear b/s-member, praveena, What our brother-member, mohan suggested is absolutely correct. Generally, our musicians never suggest to practice along with a Metronome, a Tala-machine. More over, they create hatred or aversion towards the practice along with the Metronome. Around 40 years back when I, at first, met Shri M.S.Gopalakrishnan he suggested

Dear Msakella,

WHY all that is interesting fom your posts is ALWAYS cut-OFF??

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sorry to let you twist in the wind like that... when the admin recently converted to a new revision of the software, several posts have been affected like this.

Please report the specific posts with link references to this thread: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7082/report-da ... n-threads/

The admin will take care of it. You will be doing a great service to other members as well. Thanks.