varnas how to learn after jati swaras?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
ananth krishna

Post by ananth krishna »

can any body tell me how to learn varnas that means from where to start.that means from which raga i have to start learning becoz in jati swaras i learned the raga mohana,bilahari,khamas.which one is better to start because learning varnas is diffcult as i saw my sister used to learn.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ananth krishna, In general, all the music teachers prefer to teach the Varnas in Ragas Mohana, Hamsadhvani, Vasantha and Shankarabharana as it is easier to teach them to the students. In fact, at the first instance, an efficient, knowledgeable, sincere and committed teacher has to explain the students, in detail, the inter-relation of Kampitas and Gamakas and demonstrate each Varna applying the relevant Kampitas or Gamakas. He must give the notation of any Varna along with a pre-recorded Cassettee or CD in which the Varna is sung which helps the students even in the absence of the teacher. In fact, there is a particular seriatim in teaching the Varnas as they are the crucial items to be taught with great care. Varnas in the ragas Natakuranji, Kambhoji, Darbar, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Begada, Todi, Saveri, Bhairavi should be taught in the same seriatim. By the detailed teaching of them the student must become able to learn even the first Kriti on his own. If the student is unable to do so it obvioulsy shows the defective teaching of the respective teacher.
If you are a Vocalist you would better visit http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/ ... hods-2007/ , download the contents of the mp3 CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007 and follow it meticulously. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 01 Nov 2008, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

ganga

Post by ganga »

i teach varnas insahana,yadukalakamboji,ritigaula,kedaragaula,abheri,dhanyasi,bilahari,kannadagaula etc etc over skype!!!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Dear ganga,
Whose compositions are these varnas? I am very interested. Particularly in a Kannadagaula varnam.