Sphuritam gamaka

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
radhika108

Post by radhika108 »

Hello,

I am trying to understand the sphuritam gamakam, which is used in jantai swaras. If I practice jantai by rote I dont get this gamaka, there appears to be a technique in getting the sphurita gamaka. when i stress on the second note, I get confused with the next note sometimes.

Can somebody please explain what is happening when we sing the 2 Sa or 2 Ri together?
Also when we have a series of sa, which sa should be stressed for example in SSSSS to get the gamaka.
I dont get this gamaka when I sing the jantai at a slow speed.

I guess AMS sir could guide me on this , hopefully with some audio clips.

Appreciate your response,
Many thanks

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, radhika108, ‘pp-mm’ are plain-janta-svaras which are defined in the item No.2.400-06 and ‘rsS’ is sphuritam which is defined in the item No.3.401-07 in page 2 of the pdf file ‘Kampitas & Gamakas’ along with the respective corresponding audio file Nos.400 & 401 in my ‘AMS Easy Methods-2007’ which you can download from http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/. While playing or singing Janta-svaras i.e., ss-rr-gg-mm the 2nd note only be sung or played with stress. Either in sss-rrr-ggg-mmm or in ssss-rrrr-gggg-mmmm except the first note all the remaining notes should be susng or played with stress. This is the way of practice in respect of plain notes. But while playing Gamaka-janta-svaras you should always play each note with a downward glide from the upper note i.e., ‘ss’ with a downward glide from ‘r’, ‘rr’ with a downward glide from ‘g’ and so on. If you need a demonstration of thesee Gamaka-janta-svaras you can go through the video-clippings of the ‘Violin-exercises-3’ available from the website ‘youtube.com/msakella’. After the Gamaka-janta-svaras with downward-glide Gamaka-janta-svaras with upward-glide also have to be practiced by the aspirants. But they have not been defined in this pdf.amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 21 Aug 2008, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

radhika108

Post by radhika108 »

Dear AMS sir,

Thanks for your very informative and prompt reply.

There are very few teachers who share such techniques these days. Am ever indebted.

I had one more question, when i try to sing varnam, i lose beat count and also sruthi when I encounter for eg: p , , r , r s ,

what should i practise to rectify the above error? pl let me know. thanks in advance!

Appreciate your service,

Sincere Regards,

-r
Last edited by radhika108 on 22 Aug 2008, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, radhika108, The Almighty has blessed me with all these things I have now and all these things what I have now belong to the Almighty only. I am nowhere. With what I have been blessed, in turn, I am trying to give them back again to Him i.e., the society. That’s all. In no way I am great. Your kind appreciation also goes to Him only but not me. amsharma.

radhika108

Post by radhika108 »

Guess you are too humble, actually I modified my post and then read your response. Can you please read the earlier post of mine.

thanks,
-r

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, radhika108, I have again gone through your post. You have mentioned that you are loosing the beat count and also Sruthi while singing. I want to know whether you are missing the number of beats or the rhythmical balance of the beats. To get reasonable acquaintance with the rhythm you have to practice the Laya exercises furnished in my CD ‘AMS easy Methods-2007’ which you can download from http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/. If you need you can speak to me by contacting my ID ‘msakella2002’ either by Yahoo Messenger or Skype around 8 am or pm on any day.

With best wishes,
amsharma

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Do we also not go to a lower note in between for jaNTais?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, srikant1987, Would you please elaborate with some examples in notation? amsharma.

radhika108

Post by radhika108 »

Dear AMS sir,

thanks for your response. I found your inputs extremely helpful.

actually i am missing the sruthi and number of beats and rhythmic tempo :( all in one:(
becoz when i lose sruthi i concentrate on that and then i lose count of thalam and hence rhythm too. it is sad

Thanks again,

Best regards,
r

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Sharmaji,

In the ninnukOri varNam (mOhanam), SS RR - GG RR is played as SnS RsR - GrG RsR. So many other examples!
Last edited by srikant1987 on 31 Aug 2008, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, srikant1987, While singing these Jantas , SS RR GG RR, the second note of either S or R or G should be sung or played in such a way that it is pushed up from its lower note as is given in audio-clipping No.400 of my ‘AMS Easy Methods-2007’ which you can download from http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/. amsharma.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I'm talking about the kind of jantas in clippings 20 and 21. :)

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, srikant 1987, Yes, I sang them in the same manner. amsharma.

radhika108

Post by radhika108 »

Hello,

is this touching the lower swara the reason why , when I generally hear the murchana for mohana, i dont see them touching pa or upper Sa. it stops quite short of ( in fact m2) pa and (n3, the one used in Sankarabharanam)Upper Sa in the arohana

please let me know your thoughts on this.

thanks
-r

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, radhika108, While singing or playing sphuritam i.e., ss or sss or ssss of any svara except the 1st note all other notes should be sung or played pushing them up from below. Unless you send me an audio clipping of the same I cannot make our your idea clearly. amsharma.