I would like to change my voice culture like the Hindustani

To teach and learn Indian classical music
praveena

Post by praveena »

Hi!
I have learnt Carnatic Music up to advance level. I would like to change my voice culture like the Hindustani music and would like to sing some of the devotional songs, not interested in going in-depth of Hidustani music. I recently started learning Hindustani basics.In Carnatic music, as u know we sing 'Ri' unlike 'Re' in hindustani music. I was thinking to sing just Akaar, instead of singing the swara. I would like to know your suggestions and tips.
Thanks.

vk

Post by vk »

Why is Ri sung as Re? Why dont they sing Ni too as Ne?

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

vk,
Alphabets 'a' ....'k' .....etc are actual sounds produced by the combinatory actions of lips, tongue etc. These sounds cannot vary - even here we have accepted variations like 'v' as 'b' - 'l' as 'L' etc.

On the other hand the sapta svara are not sounds produced so. sa-ri-ga-ma-pa-dha-ni are only vocalisation of the sound - they are names attributed to svaras for the purpose of distinguishing in communication.

If the one who devised these vocalisations initially had done as'ni-dha-pa-ma-ga-ri-sa', we would be singing that way only.
Last edited by vgvindan on 29 Jun 2008, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

worldkar

Post by worldkar »

well said ..thats a good note on phonetics of sound...but do you know which kind of phonetic is required for which swara and how to bring about the sound in terms of phonetics?
welll.. as for praveena... change in voice culture is not the issue for you..you have to change the way you sound ..that is the true art of voice culture.....voice culture of course needs to be changed for various styles of music..but the way you sound will make a world of difference....no matter which ever style you sing!
do not worry unnecessarily about the "ri" being sung as "re" or "da" being sung as "dha"......which ever phonetic you sing make it sound the correct way....make the sound as you have learnt in the kriti "sobhillu saptaswara"...thyagaraja says.. "nabhi hruth kanta rasana nasaadula yendu"...let the sound come from the nabhi-abdomen through your chest (heart) vocal chords mouth and a mixture of nose....this is the way to sound which ever swara you make...this will lead your voice to culture!