Article in Hindu

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/01/20/stor ... 880800.htm
A very tongue-in-cheek account using very modern terms that will be understood by one and all!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice Topic Shankar! Worth debating. Though I have views of my own I am eager to hear what our Rasikas have to say. GSMani is a wonderful debater and has the authority to prove his points. But should we take him at face value ? Let us take the debate to HM as well and I would love to learn whether such pet love and aversions exist there as well@

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Well, I have my views too. Lets see how everyon reacts. I would have to say that it is indeed worth debating about this article and its contents....

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

All knowledge, including knowledge on ragas, is evolutionary.The today generation of carnatic music lovers, many of whom are go-getter NRI's, are a new brand of rasikas who believe that Carnatic Music is a vast uncharted ocean full of treasures and gems which are waiting to be explored and brought forth to the limelight.It depends on the ingenuity and research capabilities of the musicians to delve deep into this vast CM ocean of treasures and give expression to such rare ragas.Kudos to creative artistes like Bombay Jayashree, who are willing to enthrall listeners with elaborate deleneation of rare ragas like Pavani.
While we respect the Gavaskars and Tendulkars (read Thodi,Kalyani), our adrenaline still pumps up when a marauding Sehwag or Dhoni entertains the audience with their strokeplay( read rare ragas like Pavani, Rasikapriya,Gangeyabhushani etc. sung boldly by creative artistes like Balamuralikrishna and Bombay Jayashree).
So let us also learn to move on with the changing times and changing tastes and become more tolerant in our views as to what constitutes good music.It is not the raga ( rare or old), but the creativity of the artiste which gives life and sould to the raga.
Cheers to the bold and uncoventional views of veteran G.S.Mani. I concur with him 100%.
Sivaraman.