Sanketi sangeeta sabha, Mattur

Concerts and other events related to CM.
drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Music thrives in the villages.

[quote]Three-day music festival in Shimoga
DH News Service, Shimoga

Three-day music fest will be held under the aegis of Sanketi Sangeeta Sabha at Mattur village near here from May 11 to 13.
Briefing a press meet in the City, President of the Sabha Venkataram informed that renowned vocalist and Sanskrit scholar Dr T S Satyavati will preside over the 3-day event.
Sanketi Sangeeta Sabha came into existence 6 years ago. Music fest is organised under the aegis of the Sabha every year at Mattur village in which artists Padmabhushana Lalgudi Jayaraman, J J R Krishnan, R R Keshavamurthy, R K Srikanthan, R K Padmanabha, M S Sheela, Maharajapuram Ramachandran, Vasanta Madhavi and others have performed.
Urban-centric
Vidwan R K Srikanthan presided over the 1st music fest which was held in the year 2003.
“When music programmes are becoming urban-centric, music fest organised by Sanketi Sabha at Mattur is humble effort to enable the rural mass to appreciate classical art,â€

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

DrS sir,

Many thanks for that link. I know that this is by Shimoga, but I'd like more information. Is Mattur the same village where people still converse in Sanskrit? Or is this Maddur, known for its sumptuous vadAs?

arunk

Post by arunk »

mahesh33 wrote:Is Mattur the same village where people still converse in Sanskrit?
I didnt know this until now but yes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattur

Makes me want to visit it although i wouldnt know what they are talking about :)!

Arun

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

Mattur and Hosahalli are known for their efforts to support Gamaka art, which is a unique form of singing and storytelling in Karnataka.

Very many of the Sringeri temple pandits are picked from this area, due to their piety and diligence in following the path prescribed by the vedAs. I have been here when I was very young, and still go to Shimoga (where my family is from).... the beauty of the Shimoga/Sagar districts is something that is a joy forever. In the early days, the only navigable route to Sringeri was through Shimoga, so a great many people from Tamil Nadu and AP passed through Shimoga, I have heard stories of people relating miracles that occured and helped in their quest to reach Sringeri from farflung areas in Tamil Nadu. Almost Himalayan, that quest was....till the 60's enabled car transport to become common....Sringeri to this day does not have a trainn station. The nearest train station is Mangalore...a good 3 hours away.

Coming back to the music, its incredible how the local teachers inspite of humble. limited resources in these areas help to encourage and bring up musicians. Vittal Ramamurthy is an early example of a violinist from this area who got a whole lot of encouragement from an early age...ofcource, being born with an ability to play the violin also helps...

Musicians like RKS, RKP et al have done a lot to perform also...
Last edited by mahesh33 on 10 May 2007, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

mahesh33 wrote:the beauty of the Shimoga/Sagar districts is something that is a joy forever.
Mahesh - just from the few photographs on Wikipedia (the ones about mattur, SringEri, and especially the one depicting tunga river near bhadravati) this is very evident! I somehow must make a trip all these areas at least once. There is so much in India i havent seen yet. The trouble now is that for us folks in US is when we visit India, it is a mad rush to see all our relatives first that your entire vacation is spent on that itself. Sightseeing on a "homeward bound trip" - Ah! that is truly a luxury of time - which I dont always get, or havent yet figured out. But maybe next time ...

Arun

narendra

Post by narendra »

Nice to know that we have a posting here about my native town Shimoga (250kms from Bangalore). I am proud to write a few words about my home town and about Mattur gramam.

Mattur is about 10 kms from my home town across Tunga river. Hosahalli village is also near Shimoga across Tunga river and is right across the Mattur village. So from one side of the river you can see the people on the other side. Mostly the people living there are Brahmins and they do farming ( as I see a lot of lands cultivated around the village), priests, teachers, scholars, musicians, etc. Generations they have been pandits and they are well versed in vedas and rituals.

People who wants to visit these places the route is:
Bangalore -> 250 kms -> Shimoga -> 10-15 kms --> Mattur or Hosahalli
Last edited by narendra on 12 May 2007, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

Artists Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi, Vivekakrishna, Rajiv, M T Rajakesari, Keshava Bharadwaj, Tejaswi, Saketaraman and budding talents from Mattur and Hosalli villages will perform in this year’s fest.
It is not a small matter for the fest to be held here, so it is delightful that artists make the effort to be heard and perform for rural people also.
Last edited by mahesh33 on 11 May 2007, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Shimoga has a great tradition of hosting Carnatic Concerts for well over 5 decades.
I did spend two years there-1997 and 1998 (between two careers) and was surprised to find the depth of activity in terms of teaching and purity of purpose.
My wife learnt under several Vidwans,in the belt, when she was young .
Violinist SP Ananthapadmanabhan is also from the same area.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

I've done the Udipi - Agumbe - Sringeri trip through God's own country not realizing I should have stopped to smell the flowers in Mattur, Hosalli and Shimoga! DRS, is there a chance that the event might be covered on TV?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

just from the few photographs on Wikipedia (the ones about mattur, SringEri, and especially the one depicting tunga river near bhadravati) this is very evident! I somehow must make a trip all these areas at least once.
Arun
Until then, you can live it up with these video clips , too.
Picked them up, from a TV Program,just for you.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e6id0p
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lr5v9q
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9fkqt9
it is a mad rush to see all our relatives
I got around that by marrying a girl from Shimoga

:P

arunk

Post by arunk »

coolkarni wrote:I got around that by marrying a girl from Shimoga
:D

arunk

Post by arunk »

where are the clips?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

they are up now

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks! downloading them now.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

ah nice! I always loved the way the white haze of the clouds hover around the hill-tops.

Thanks again!

Arun

iadvaita

Post by iadvaita »

Good site from Hosahalli and Mattur:
http://mt.iadvaita.com/