Short Bharatanatyam Items To Teach Small Children

Classical Dance forms & related music
janani87

Post by janani87 »

hello.

i am looking for short items which would be ideal for small children to learn.

i'd be really grateful if you could let me know where i can get/download the music(preferably online since i live abroad).

thanks for the help.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Try kauttuvams - they are typically 2-3 minutes long and do not have scope for sancArIs...
You can also try different puSpAnjalIs...they can be simple or complex - your imagination is the limit there....
You can also string a few small SlOkas together - like mUSika vAhana+gajAnanam+vakratunDa mahAkAya....Try Bombay Sister's nATya sudhA CD - the first piece on that CD is a set of SlOkas on vinAyaka and saraswatI...

janani87

Post by janani87 »

thanks a lot rshankar. i'll try to find them.

swaykv

Post by swaykv »

aruna sairam's popular madu meykkum kanne... is a very cute piece to teach children. it is in the form of a dialogue bt yashodha and krishna. im not able to find a link to download this song, but if u are able to get the music, it will be a good one for children.

nrityam

Post by nrityam »

Hello Janani,

Try Mamta Niyogi-Nakara's Sishu sadhana. See this link for more information.

http://www.kalabharati.ca/pages/index.html

Regards

N...

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

if u are looking for something challenging... then you should try govindan kuzhal osai... set to music by DR balamuralikrishna....
its fast paced, challenging and has lot of scope for abhinaya and nritta wiht lots of swarams

or even madurai muralidharan's composition...kolahala narthana ganapathiye....in hamsadhwani ragam..... its a a very lively piece....maybe its available on his audio cassettes.... which i think goes by the name...nrityopasana..... i am not sure

but both these pieces are very challenging.....so please listen to the audio...before deciding if they suit your child/students
Last edited by srinandini on 17 Apr 2007, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

janani87

Post by janani87 »

thanks a lot for your suggestions....
they're indeed going to be really helpful to me.

regards,
janani