RC's video clips:

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
I finally had a chance to see the clips that RC generously posted: I have a question: do you have any idea about the style of Smt. Radhika Nandakumar? My largely untrained eye could not pick out the characteristics of kalakshetra/pandanallur style (deep araimandi among other things) although her entrance sequences is like theirs, vazhuvoor (no stylistic leaps, or flowing choreography), tanjavoor (adavus look different). Is this the Mysore style?
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

shankar

yes mysore style. RC also mentioned in his post when he posted Smt. RN brief profile.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ah! I missed that. But thanks.
As I watch more clips and performances, I finally am beginning to get the differences my mom could figure out from the first steps of the alArippU!
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

shankar

BTW what is the difference, i could not tell! only certain steps/movement i could tell, but yet again i may be wrong, books and articles did not provide much help in this area, for moi.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena:
Let me start with a disclaimer: all of this just my observation, and not anything else...it is like my efforts at identifying styles of singing CM - very amateurish at best, and more often than not, I am either clueless or wrong!
For me, vintage vazhuvUr style is Kamala Lakshman's dance: even her 'filmi' numbers were choreographed by her guru, and retain very authentic movements. To me, this style flows, and there are some very stylistic leaps. Not much emphasis on araimandi as far as I can tell.
Kalakshetra is Adayar Lakshman/Prof Chandrasekhar etc....This is the style that has very stylized stage entries and exits (in many of the other styles, the artist is already on stage when the curtains go up)...at least during the training stages this style emphasizes the araimandi. The adavus are different...not very flowing, but aesthetic nevertheless.
PandanallUr is style of Alarmel Valli..a lot of emphasis on nritta...and very subtle aBinaya...full of energy
TanjAvUr: legendary Balasaraswathi's style: lots of aBinaya, adavus are different.
Bharatanrittam: Dr. Padma Subramaniam's style - have the karaNA's...very different from all else (I have been priviledged to watch many of her earlier performamnces, that were more like the vazhuvUr style she was trained in)
If it fits none of these, I categorize it as either Mysore style or Kanchipuram style depending on where the dancer hails from!
Absolutely no science here, I am afraid.
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

shankar
thanks, my assumption of styles is pretty close!
Dr. padma style- just one word- 'filmi'- have seen her tv serial on one of my india trips - sub. dance - i dont recall the name, it came out on video too.

I have a copy of E krishna iyer centenary issue - Music academy, if ur interested, email u a copy. rare pic of kalyani daughters,mylapore gowri amma, etc.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
I would love that!
It would be a rare treasure!
THANKS!
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

have emailed u!