Sanjay Subrahmanyan – NJ Concert – May 12, 2024

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sankar Narayanan

Sanjay Subrahmanyan – NJ Concert – May 12, 2024

Post by Sankar Narayanan »

As part of the ‘tamizhum nAnum’ (தமிழும் நானும்) concert series, Vid Sanjay Subrahmanyan presented a soulful and very engaging concert to a large and diverse audience for New Jersey Tamizh Sangam. His accompanists were Vid S Varadarajan on violin and Vid Neyveli Venkatesh on mridangam (the ‘men in white’ team!). The concert duration was slightly under three hours, and it ended with everyone longing for more!

In alignment with the ‘tamizhum nAnum’ (‘tamizh and me') theme, all kritis were selected and curated from a variety of pre-trinity, post-trinity, modern-era, and contemporary tamizh composers.

Song List:
1. sivalOka nAthanaik kanDU - mAyAmALavagowLai - roopakam - GKB; S@ pallavi line
2. kalaimagaLE ennaik kAttharuLvAi – saraswati – Adi – MMD (MM DandabhaaNi DEsikar)
3. eppaDi manam tuNindadO - husEni – misra chApu - arunAchala kavi ; R sketch
4. sAmi mayUra giri vaDivEla – khamAs – Adi - kavi kunjara bhArati; Elaborate R; Elaborate N @ S @ pallavi line
5. ennEramum oru kAlait tUkki’ – tOdi – Adi – MMP (mArimuttA piLLai); R sketch
6. Arukkum adangAda neeli ponanbalatthAdum kALi – bEgadA – Adi - HMB
7. RTP in AbhEri - 2-kaLai Adi – “ambA manam kanindhu kadaikkaNpAr || tiruvaruL tharum jagadambA”; thani (solo)
8. rAmanai bhajittAl nOivinai tIrum – mAND – Adi - pApanAsam sivan
9. pAyum oLi nee enakku – khamAs - Adi - subramanya bhArati ; prefaced by a viruttham
10. ADum chidambaramO – behAg - Adi - GKB; prefaced by a viruttham
11. tunbam nErgaiyil – dEsh – Adi - bhArathidAsan
12. viRperu vizhavum – sindubhairavi – Adi - thirumangai AzhvAr
13. vAzhiya sendamizh vAzhga naTramizhar – madhyamAvati – Adi - subramanya bhArati

The ‘men in white’ launched off with a sedate ‘sivalOka nAthanaik-kanDU’ (சிவலோக நாதனைக் கண்டு) in mAyAmALavagowLai. The words (sahitya-bhAvA) and the kalpanaswarams (raga-bhAvA) set a very meditative mood. Sanjay’s brisk long ending korvai, Varadrajan’s nice return, Venkatesh’s equally long theermANam, all gave the concert a riveting start (கச்சேரி சுறுசுறுப்பாகக் களை கட்டியது!).

Next was a prayerful ‘kalaimagaLE ennaik kAttharuLvAi’ (கலைமகளே என்னை காத்தருள்வாய்). Desikar’s apt choice of saraswati ragam to sing the praise of saraswati was noteworthy (kalaimagaL = கலைமகள் = goddess Saraswati!).

Then followed a rendition of Sita’s emotive pleas to Rama to not leave her and go the to the forest alone – ‘eppaDi manam tuNindadO’ (எப்படி மனம் துணிந்ததோ). Sanjay brought out Sita’s pathos thru beautiful poetry (sahitya-bhAvA) and mesmerizing melody (raga-bhAvA). For those not familiar with this composer – though a great tamizh scholar himself, arunAchala kavi felt that the great kambar’s epic Ramayanam was at the highest levels of sophisticated literary style of tamizh poetry, and was going over the heads of ordinary folks, and wrote and popularized Ramayanam in an easy-to-consume style of poetry, largely employing a layperson’s colloquial parlances.

Time for an energy boost, and the men in white chose a brisk “sAmi mayUra giri vaDivEla” (சாமீ மயூர கிரி வடிவேலா). Sanjay rendered a rakthi laden and energetic AlApanA and Varadarajan provided an equally chaste and spirited return. Both drew a big applause from the appreciative audience. A romantic mood was set (shringAra rasA)! Sanjay started with a brief viruttham on Lord MurugA – “mAlOn maruganai” before launching the kriti. Sanjay aptly and playfully stressed on the charaNam phrase – “azhagar senDamizhkkaruL puri” , especially ‘aruL puri sAmi, tamizhkkaruL puri sAmi’ 😊. The niraval and swaram at the pallavi line were elaborate and enthralling. Venkatesh used the scope of the tisra gati to embellish the song with fast and furious sollukatttus. The entire rendition was just fireworks and double- espresso shots!

A raga sketch of tOdi was followed by ‘ ennEramum oru kAlait tUkki’ (என்னேரமும் ஒரு காலைத் தூக்கி). Sanjay sang a mellowed tOdi, even terrifying words like ‘உக்கிர சாமுண்டி’ were sung with finesse and softness! Sidebar for those not familiar with the tamizh composer mArimuttA piLLai - he belongs to a group called ‘seergazhi moovar’ aka ‘seergazhi trinity’ , along with arunAchala kavi, and mutthu thANDavar.

Sanjay next presented a brief viruttham – ‘mootthavaLE’ (மூத்தவளே), before presenting “Arukkum adangAda neeli ponanbalatthAdum kALi” (ஆருக்கும் அடங்காத நீலி பொன்னம்பலத் தாடும் காளி) in a rakti-poorva bEgadA.

RTP time ! Aka, time for another fast-tempo, dancing-on-the-seats item! Sanjay explored AbhEri nicely and brought out the majestic nature of this ragam. History says this was one of the ragas used before war and during war, to elevate the spirits of the troop and keep it high – and Sanjay did exactly that! His signature holding a long note for over 15 seconds drew an applause from the audience! The signature gusto continued to the tAnam. Varadarajan provided excellent support during the ragam and tAnam, and his returns equally mesmerized the audience. His hallmark of repeating, embellishing, counter-balancing the vocalist’s phrases were very apt and well-received by the audience. The pallavi line was “ambA manam kanindhu kadaikkaNpAr || tiruvaruL tharum jagadambA” (அம்பா மனம் கனிந்து கடைக்கண் பார் || திருவருள் தரும் ஜகதம்பா). Sanjay ended the RTP with a nice of round of ragamAlikA swarams in subapantuvarALi, nAttaikurinji, bahudAri, and rEvati. Venkatesh played a gripping thani (solo). He thrilled the audience by playing just on the thoppi for many minutes (many avarthanams), showing crisp sound variations of vallinam (hard) strokes, mellinam (soft) strokes, and extensive gumkis!

Next was a delightful rAmanai bhajitthAl (ராமனை பஜித்தால்) in mAND, followed by a viruttham ‘theerthak karaiyinilE’ (தீர்த்த கரையினிலே) leading to ‘pAyum oLi nee enakku’ (பாயும் ஒளி நீ எனக்கு). Sanjay repeatedly sang the word ‘kaNNamma’ with a rainbow of emotions and dimensions, just as the composer would have intended while affectionately addressing the love of his life - sometime as a child, sometime as a soulmate, etc.
Sanjay followed with another ragamalika viruttham as a prelude to his bEhAg staple ‘ADum chidambaramO’ (ஆடும் சிதம்பரமோ). The viruttham was rendered in delectable mOhanam, savEri, kApi, and finally behAg as a transition to the main song. This song selection on lord SivA in chidambaram re-confirms Sanjay’s love for this kshetram. His other kshetrams of love being tiruvallikkENi and mylapore 😊.

Subsequently, Sanjay sent the audience into raptures by jumping to his trademark thukkada ‘tunbam nErgaiyil’ (துன்பம் நேர்கையில்) which he includes fairly regularly in his post-pallavi sessions (by popular demand!). I have listened to him singing this song live over 30 times and countless times recorded, but Sanjay makes it feel fresh every time 😊. Once again for the benefit of anyone not familiar with the composer - Kanaka Subburathinam is a 20th-century tamizh poet well-known in his own right. But, to cement his deep love and reverence for the mahAkavi subramanya bhArati, Subburathinam goes by the pseudonym bhArathidAsan.

Sanjay concluded with ‘viRperu vizhavum’ (விற்பெரு விழவும்) in Sindubharavi and a mangaLam - ‘vAzhiya sendamizh vAzhga naTramizhar’ (வாழிய செந்தமிழ்! வாழ்க நற்றமிழர்! வாழிய பாரத மணித்திரு நாடு) praising the tamizh language, tamizh citizens, and the entire Bharath.

Overall, Sanjay once again confirmed that music transcends boundaries of culture, language and religion. Especially when Sanjay’s magic is involved!
Last edited by Sankar Narayanan on 20 May 2024, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan – NJ Concert – May 12, 2024

Post by rajeshnat »

@sankar narayanan
Lovely review . The joy of a complete concert with a complete review makes me doubly happy. YOu are the rocking star as of this month, lovely keep it up

Connecting another thread where thamizh and may be trinity has to be included that is discussed , my counter is you have to be bit watchful in taking few sedate songs of thamizh as thamizh by intirnsic nature had konjam karadu moradana words at times, so excess succession of thamizh songs that have a boatful of words will be a bit loss of music . Sanjay say carefully adds a little sedate huseni and then swami mayura which has mouthful of words . I am assuming it is a well led balance it is ok though T and D as composers are too important to be included for musical completeness , but that will always come soon for any artists.

Usually RTP has only thamizh words for most of the concerts and thukkada has a general dose of higher thamizh numbers.

All said the list is great and I am happy that you reported with no karadu moradaana flow.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sankar Narayanan wrote: 20 May 2024, 10:55 7. RTP in AbhEri - 2-kaLai Adi – “ambA manam kanindhu kadaikkaNpAr || tiruvaruL tharum jagadambA”; thani (solo)

RTP time ! Aka, time for another fast-tempo, dancing-on-the-seats item! Sanjay explored AbhEri nicely and brought out the majestic nature of this ragam. History says this was one of the ragas used before war and during war, to elevate the spirits of the troop and keep it high
This RTP line is lift off from the pantuvarali number composed by Papanasam sivan .This has come in a MKT movie in past. I have once heard the pantuvarali krithi with a neraval by another musician , which was fantastic.

I am not sure if I have got you when you say "History says this was one of the ragas used before war and during war, to elevate the spirits of the troop and keep it high " Care to elaborate the connection of abheri . I will wait for your response , i am thinking if you are wrongly connecting some thing else

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sankar Narayanan,
Thanks for obliging with a detailed and delectable review of yet another concert. In all the past years, I haven't been able to catch a single Tamizhum nAnum concert of Sanjay live, but your descriptive review more than made up for it!

tamizh new year and Mother's day celebrations preceded the concert, and there was a play too, preceding the concert. Quite a number of those who attended the concert would have come for those, and would have stayed on. If I put on Rajesh's hat, I would say some were bridge-crossers: that is that they like music a lot, listened to it a lot, but mostly of the mellisai kind. Now, the lyrics in the popular songs are very pleasing to the listeners. This list of songs as I see them, offers varied shades of emotions, making the bridge-crossing easy and enjoyable. No wonder, Sanjay succeeds every time he spends time and effort, drawing a varied and fine-tuned list for each of his concerts. This is seen in each of Sanjay Sabha's lists. Add to the rich lyrics, rAgAs of varied colors and textures. He also is a sarakku master (has a vast repository of pATAntharams)!

The composers range from tirumangai AzhvAr to Dandapani Desikar/Bharathidasan. Sanjay's list-making skill can't be taken for granted. Two songs of Subramania Bharathi too. The emotional content in the songs has such varied hues.

3: Am I glad it was eppaDi manam tuNindadO of Arunachala kavi rather than rAmasAmi dhUtan nAnaDa (a favorite of many, nonetheless) at this time of political upheavals!

8: What was the virutham for ADum chidambaramO?

9: Was pAyum oLIi prefaced by tIrthak karaiyinilE?(then, there were three verses of S.Bharathi in the concert!)

Now, all along, I bet, Sanjay was ensconced by the masterly playing by Varadu and Venky who bring a sheen to his performances.

Yes, how can I forget meeting you and yours :) more than once in Boston, and your kindness in leading us to the best seats in the hall? :)
Last edited by arasi on 21 May 2024, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Your thoughts about the 'bridging' factor make sense. A bridge should guide and lead those who like music to the old gold in Carnatic treasures in lyrics and rAgAs. Not to a tinsel town of confused (IraNDum keTTAn??) garbled music with little merit and more hoopla. My two cents worth.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I missed mentioning 'ambA, manam kanindu' in my earlier post. MKT sang it perhaps in the earliest of blockbusters. Sivakavi was the movie. I was a tot, and remember how I had to hold on fast to my father's hand as we got into a whirl of eager fans at the theater. MKT's voice lodged itself in my memory for ever from that day onwards. Film history would perhaps state that his following film Haridas set the record for the longest run of a tamizh film in that era.

Yes, that was when Papanasam Sivan had been penning a lot of songs for the movies. It must have been the main source of income for him then.