Sanjay Subramanian Santa Clara Bay area Sanfrancisco

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

Sanjay Subramanian Santa Clara Bay area Sanfrancisco

Post by thanjavooran »

Venue : SantaClara Convention Center
05 05 2024. Sunday. 17. 30. hrs
Thamizhum Naanum.

Sanjay Subramanian. Vocal
S. Varadharajan. Vioin
Neyveli S. Venkatesan. Mirudhangam

Hara Hara Siva. Gambira Nattai. Gopalakrishna Bharathi
Kappaduve. Anandha Bhairavi. Rupakam. Thanjavur Quartet
Vaananai. Keeravani. Misra chapu. Appar
Neeye Sharan. Kambhoji. Adi. Papanasam Sivan
Brindavana Saranga. RTP. Thani
Narayananai. Komalangi. Raghava Ramanuja Dasan. Music. D.D. Dandapani Desigar
Thillana. Maru Behag. Adi. Sanjay Subramanian
Vaa Vaa Vel Muruga. Sindhu Bhairavi. Rupakam. Mayuram Viswanatha Sastrigal
Chinnam Siru Kiliye. Mahakavi Subramania Bharathi
Thunbam Nergaiyil. Dhesh. Bharathi Dasan
Vazhiya Senthamizh.
Mangalam

The concert started with usual introduction on mike. All Vidwans decorated the podium with White and White. Came to an at 20 30 hrs. Excellent 3 hrs concert and with delineation of Raga, Niraval and Swaram. Thamizh Thamizh only in all over excepting the introductory speech. Violin was given full freedom for Niraval and Swaram in all krithis. Very good selection of krithis. Mirudhangam played on Idantharai for complete 4 mts during Thani. It was something new to me. Quite enjoyable. No sales of CD and other items but for T shirt with Sanjay's sketch on it. It reminded me cricket players' strategy. He accepted Audience appreciation on every kriti. But Vijay Siva this was not.
The Hall was full. All Tkts sold out excepting few 100$ seats. Rasikas enjoyed fully without making any unwanted noise till the end. There was no Sruthi petti or Tambura or electronic gadgets. Only a cell phone did the service. Btw the program was not sponsored by any Sabha/ organization I presume. Before the concert Sanjay's video chat on his association with Sembanar Koil Nadaswaram brothers [SRD Vaidhyanathan] was quite interesting. Normally concerts here will start at 16 00 hrs. The reason for this delayed start not known. More detailed review from ' Respected Rasikas ' who attended is most welcome.

Thanjavooran
06 05 2024

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subramanian Santa Clara Bay area Sanfrancisco

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you for your review thanjavooran. THe team must have rocked. Assuming the RTP lines must be naadanai ninai manamE brindavana saranga ranga

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,
You are to be appreciated for your sharing your concert experiences here in CA on your visits and the ones you share with us on Rasikas while you are in Chennai too, of course!

Rajesh guessed right about the pallavi line, I think.

As for the starting time of the concert, my guess is that since there was a concert in Seattle the previous evening, they must have taken into account the arrival time of the flight to CA on Sunday, and thus allowing for delays. I am saying this because if I remember it right, many years ago, the same trio had to be driven directly from Boston airport to the concert hall without stopping anywhere because of the plane's late arrival time!

A substantial and varied song list here as expected in any of Sanjay's concerts. Varadarajan and Venkatesh are troopers in their own right, and they play in an inspired way to enhance the music of the main performer.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Many thanks Shri Rajeshnat and Arasiji, Yes Nadanai ninai is the Pallavi in RTP.
Really happy to get feed back from two stalwarts. Could not digest how the local Rasikas are quite silent on their reviews.
May be not known about this forum or quite reluctant for recording their views in this. In first place such feed back will boost the morality of the Vidwans and also the organizers. Of course this is the only pass time for aged elders like me.
BTW forgot to appreciate Sanjay's bird noise , chirping during Niraval and swaram in Sindhu Bhyravi. It was wonderful enjoyed and applauded by all. Once again thanks Rajeshnat and Arasiji.
Thanjavooran,
09 05 2024

Sankar Narayanan

Post by Sankar Narayanan »

Thanks for the nice review Sri @thanjavooran. Good song list. As the theme is 'thamizhum nAnum', looks like all are tamizh compositions in in this tour. In one interview I remember Sanjay saying his guru KSK would always ask 'what tamizh song are you going to sing? or if it was after the concert 'what tamizh song did you sing?'.

Good to read additional inputs from @rajeshnat & @arasi mam.

btw, Sanjay is singing in Richmond, Virginia today and then here in NJ tomorrow, looking forward to his concert tomorrow!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sankar Narayanan,
Good to hear from you. Reminds me to request you to write more reviews, now that this section isn't buzzing with much activity. Your recent reviews were so welcome.

As for Sanjay Subrahmanyan, a friend wrote to me just now to say how he was surprised to see a review of Sanjay's concert after ages on Rasikas. Thanks to Thanjavooran who took the trouble to write about this concert. Others who were there could write more about it too.

I wonder if anyone in CM can equal the number of tamizh kritis in Sanjay's repertoire in theirs--particularly songs of those composers not normally heard in concerts. One might also state that many of the younger singers are confident enough to follow his path now. It's easier for them because of his ground work. They are inspired too perhaps, in doing their own work in finding unsung gems--besides feeling more confident in not just sticking to 'only the tried over a long time' songs they have heard on stage (in person or on videos).

Well, my kannaDa friends are equally happy that Sanjay is presenting as many rarely heard songs in their own language in his concerts--recently, in an all kannaDa uruppaDi-s cachErI too.

Good to hear that you are going to the festive NJ concert at the puthANDu-annaiyar dinam celebrations. Please share your experience with us. Bring us more concert reviews too. nanRi!

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

arasi wrote: 12 May 2024, 01:57

I wonder if anyone in CM can equal the number of tamizh kritis in Sanjay's repertoire in theirs--particularly songs of those composers not normally heard in concerts. One might also state that many of the younger singers are confident enough to follow his path now. It's easier for them because of his ground work. They are inspired too perhaps, in doing their own work in finding unsung gems--besides feeling more confident in not just sticking to 'only the tried over a long time' songs they have heard on stage (in person or on videos).

Whilst efforts put in to unearth and present rare compositions in concert circuit is commendable, a carnatic concert is incomplete without compositions of Trinity or pre Trinity era. not sure what is trying to be proved by presenting only tamil compositions (not just one concert but as a series ....).

Guess these musicians like TMK / Sanjay etc are going astray in the process in doing crazy things, to say the least ...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Fixation with only trinity is crazy acc. to some. So many composers were sidelined in that craze, which appears unfair. A CM concert is complete if it presents the manodharma aspects aesthetically and creatively. A rasika is pleased if there is a good mix and the songs are rendered with bhava. Thematic concerts without bringing in the trinity have been taking place all the time by so many others and rasikas did not find them out of place,

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

kvchellappa wrote: 17 May 2024, 16:47 Fixation with only trinity is crazy acc. to some. So many composers were sidelined in that craze, which appears unfair. A CM concert is complete if it presents the manodharma aspects aesthetically and creatively. A rasika is pleased if there is a good mix and the songs are rendered with bhava. Thematic concerts without bringing in the trinity have been taking place all the time by so many others and rasikas did not find them out of place,
Please read the post clearly. I have no fixation !! And I never meant it has to be only trinity / pre trinity. The whole series on tamil only compositions is a bit too much.... Ofcourse, thematic concerts are performed !!

arasi

Post by arasi »

You are right. Most of us do not have any fixations about it. As you say, the items don't necessarily have to be of the trinity or pre-trinity. When in a Tyagaraja ArAdhana anywhere in the world, his songs alone are sung, in concerts celebrating him in these arenas, other composers' songs are sung too, in several languages.

I do not know why during the season, Tamizhisai Sangam which in NOT part of the Chennai music season zone, which is miles away for rasikAs who do the Mylapore and vicinities circuit attracts so many listeners from other parts of the city and many from abroad. An all tamizh concert appeals to many who live in the capitol of Tamizh nADu and visitors who speak the language are drawn to music which covers many centuries of its cultural and spiritual expression. That's why. As you say, thematic concerts are aplenty these days. So, why not an annual tamizh concert in the cities of the US where Tamizhars live? They miss them by by not being able to come to Chennai for the season and wish they could?

Of course, singing hymns of tamizh poets from old times to singing verses from poets and composers of modern times makes it an appealing fare in lyrics and the music.

The same goes for those who speak telugu and kannaDa and other languages. They may love a particular song in a language they are not familiar with, but the music appeals to them no end. When they understand every (or almost) all the words in the lines, it's a double treat!We know it too well, because they come to Lakshman for the lyrics!

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Claiming that a Carnatic concert is incomplete without compositions from the Trinity era is absurd. That’s 1950-era Music Academy backward thinking…

If you are looking for proof, this thematic series is Exhibit A. As a rasika, I notice no drop in concert quality without these composers. In fact, this SF Bay Area concert was as good as if not better than any typical Sanjay concert featuring multiple Trinity pieces.

Highlighting lesser-known composers expands the Carnatic landscape for us rasikas. Sometimes I wish the Trinity composed in other regional languages. But then, if they had composed extensively in Thamizh, we wouldn't have gotten a Thamil-Thyagaiyar (P. Sivan) or a Thamizh-Dikshitar (Koteeswara Iyer). So, all’s well….

Who knows... In 10 years, concerts will be filled with modern compositions by Lalgudi, Ravikiran, GNB, TMT, M. Balamuralikrishna, and others (that augment the Trinity & pre-Trinity).