TM Krishna @ UTM , 05 Apr 2024

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
RaghuPS

TM Krishna @ UTM , 05 Apr 2024

Post by RaghuPS »

TM Krishna @ University of Toronto - Mississauga Campus
accompanied by HN Bhaskar and B.Sivaraman

TMK sang to a full house of 250+ listeners

started with a meditative Raave Himagiri

Khamas alaapana started by TMK, then HNB took over for a lilting exposition , tamil song Paarkka Paarkka\

sahana aalapana by TMK eschewing all standard sahana phrases, TMK had talked about the different treatment of Sahana by Thyagaraja and Deekshitar in his talk/lecdem previous evening. I also remember a video in which he asks his students to start sahana differently and they all struggle)

a very brief sketch of brindavanasaranga (Brindavnani) and Soundararajam followed in all its majesty, easily the high point of the concert for me.

shri Nathadi guruguho - preceded by taanam in different ragams by TMK and HNB - I think Sankarabharanam, Hamsanandi and MMG, not sure though,

Kambodhi alaapana and tiruvadi charanam - no surprises there, pretty standard fare.

thani by Sivaraman and then several pieces were sung in a mish-mash of languages and themes. several of them were new to me, I could only place Pullagi Puzuvagi and Suthandiram vendum, there was one in Malayalam too, I think

HN Bhaskar and B Sivaraman were very sensitive in their accompaniment, friends in concert, not in "healthy competition" which TMK alluded to in his talk previous evening.

TMK sang plenty of lower octave stuff
based on the tenor of his talk previous day, I was expecting a detailed rendition of a varnam/padam/jaavali but that was not to be.
art music(wordless) he espouses maybe, but he is not lost to the beauty and magic of saahitya, albeit in his own way,let us be fair to him

the rotunda venue with its good sound system greatly added to the ambience, an evening of music well spent

rajeshnat

Re: TM Krishna @ UTM , 05 Apr 2024

Post by rajeshnat »

RaghuPS
THank you for. your review . I can personally relate from your review when TMK sang once MMG and Brindavana Saranga.
How long was the concert exclusive of talk?

All in North America,
Presently I see artists like Vijay SIva, Suryaprakash , Bharath Sundar, TMK and GG are touring . Cleveland is just a week away . Let us have more reviews . I would love to have text reviews here and facebook can have a link to rasikas. Chennai hardly has concerts and they are few with at times lot of talk like what i attended last time of guruguhaamrta which i reviewed. North America has to show the way during summer time of India

RaghuPS

Re: TM Krishna @ UTM , 05 Apr 2024

Post by RaghuPS »

Hi Rajeshnat,

Talk and concert were two separate fixtures.
Talk was on 4th April, and concert was on 5th lasting close to three hours