Mahasivarathri akandam@Arkays (Carnatica) on Mar 08th ,2024

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

—————————————————————————————————
As years have rolled on especially post covid , and also with the metro digging up work being everywhere , having time to reach on time any concert is an ordeal that even Lord Shiva cannot solve. Thank God atleast Lord Shiva has some redemption dedicated as Mahasivarathri .

Personally Only once in the night time I was once awake about 10 to 12 years back or so near my home at agastheeswarar temple in nungambakkam . I have attended few concerts dedicated to sivarathri , once the very first raga sisters when they sang in warren road temple , once quite late seshagopalan , once suryaprakash , each were great as at times they all bring few numbers which they do not sing in rest of the year

This year I did stay from 09 30pm to 02 30 am taking an hour plus break to go to Mylapore kapali temple which was so crowded then I went to nungambakkam agastheeswarar temple which was also crowded , then finally one small temple near my home where I saw atlast the lingam around 03 45 AM . It looks many have taken to stay at night to pray during mahasivarathri.

Kudos to two people in organizing this .One is arkay Ramakrishnan and other is Carnatica Shashikiran both brimming with energy and they dedicating to organizing carnatic concerts and continuing this thru the night series is exemplary . Both taking turns to introduce the artist , let GOd bless them both with more health.They invited artists from 5 30 pm till 06 30 AM , I attended roughtly 5 sets of artists where all of them were given their 45 mins slot

#1#Anahita -Apoorva B Ananthakrishnan - Trivandrum Balaji - Nerkunam Shankar
————————————————————————————————————————-
…. went after missing may be the first two
1. jadAdhara Shankara deva deva (R,CS, S,T) - Todi -OVK
2. KAnarkkum kandavarkkum - shenjurutti - Tevaram ?????

Anahita and Apporva , the two sisters are turning to be fabulous in craftmanship . Their Todi alapana was well done and the krithi of OVK was really good . OVK krithis have dense thamizh words but yet they did not lose the musical aesthetics . These 2 sisters are at times like say the two Gayathri of ranjani gayathri fame. Lot of verve and right polish is indeed there. Both the krithis are new to me .

#2# Sherthalai Ranganatha Sharma - VVS Murari - Tjr Murugabhoopathy-SV Ramani
———————————————————————————————————————————-
1. tAndavam dharisanam (S) - reetigowlai - GKB
2. Ananda natana prakasam (RS,S) - kedaram - MD
3. Giripriyam gangadharam - katanakuthoohalam - HMB
4. Ekkalathilum maravenE (R S T)- Nattaikurinji - ramaswamy sivan
5. Irakkam varAmal - behag - GKB
Shertalai Ranganatha sharma has a deep voice , he perhaps does not need a microphone . His strength is to sing in madhyamakaallam, other then giripriyam I enjoyed all the songs . The top pick was the kedaram and the rare nattaikurinji ekkalathilum was the best . He was assisted by a vidushi sishya , so at times male female voice has its own challenges to have the right adjustment.

rajeshnat

Re: Mahasivarathri akandam@Arkays (Carnatica) on Mar 08th ,2024

Post by rajeshnat »

#3# JB Keerthana - Chinmayi - Nambeesan?? -Nerkunam Shankar
1A. Viruththam - sathathin ulle - nattaikurinji -???
1B. Kongai thirangi - nattaikurinji - karaikkal ammaiyaar
2. saranAgathi endru nambi - gowlai -GKB
3. Chidambaram hara hara endru oru dharam (CS) -begada - GKB

4. vAnavargal kAnavargal - pantuvarali - Tevaram
5A. Viruththam - alli kamalath - mohanam ?? - tiruvasagam
5B. Valaindhadu villa - madhyama shruthi MOhanam - tiruvasagam(manicavasagar)
6. Tat dhirana tana dirama … ananda natamAdum Natarajan sabesan - was that a thillana but did not have that much jathis- forgot to note the ragam.

I have heard once Keerthana pairing with ananhita and Apoorva where they sang mayavaram abhayamba krithis that was bit like lecdem. When I put that review , I recollect Mahavishnu (Ramesh) said Keerthana is cousin of anahita and Apoorva . Keerthana is younger sister of flute Vidwans Sruthi sagar. Keerthana has a very very strong and husky voice ,. SHe indeed has a great throw and she anubhavichi paadra for sure . In this series she really prepared the most in presenting too many rare uruppidis . Her start in viruththam was well done an I liked the nattaikurnji and pantuarali the most . Her voice is her asset

#4# Ashwath narayanan- sayee Rakshith - Kishore Ramesh -KVG
1. Samba Mahadeva - bowl - Neelakantan sivan
2. Tiruvadi saranam - kambodhi -GKB
3. Thyagarajan namastE - begada -MD
4. pannEN unakkeE poolai - behag - ?????

5A. Viruththam - alaamal irukai thaan - hamsanandi + vinnE vinadhyam -kapi + vinnE vinadhyam -sindhu bhairavi
5B. Visweswaru dharisanu - sindhubhairavi - ST

Ashwath did not have the best start . The sense of layam was not matching that well with especially the tiruvadi saranam . His voice was in fine shape and he did well in begada . The best was a very detailed viruththam where he showed his class the most - certainly his paramaguru shades of KVN was in plenty there. The viruththam was the best pick.

#5# Aditya Madhavan - Raghavendra Rao - Kishore Ramesh -KVG
1. Raga Sudha rasa - AndOlika - T
2. Sree Jalandhar - gambeera nattai - JC wodeyar
This is the first time hearing this young Vidwan Aditya Madhavan. He had a strong voice , but I was bit not focussing as it was around 02 30 . I missed Rithvik raja in between shartalai and keerthana as I decided to goto kapali temple at that time.

All the co artists in all 5 concerts did well to support . Their role was limited and many of them skipped tani or just played one round and passed.

For the first two concerts I found the volume was bit high far more than what arkays hall can take.The experience to hear both the unpopular krithis and also well known krithis where vidwans and vidushis did put their stamp was great .It was a bit of forgotten late night CM that was kind of rekindled again after atleast a decade. Thank You arkay Ramakrishnan and Carnatic Sashikiran and all your extended team.

Overall a very good concert experience.

rajeshnat

Re: Mahasivarathri akandam@Arkays (Carnatica) on Mar 08th ,2024

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

-----------------------------------------------------------
#1# Anahita Apoorva - B Ananthakrishnan - Trivandrum Balaji - Nerkunam Shankar
#2# Sherthalai Ranganatha Sharma - VVS Murari - Tjr Murugabhoopathy-SV Ramani
#3# JB Keerthana - Chinmayi - *Nambeesan?? -Nerkunam Shankar
#4# Ashwath narayanan- sayee Rakshith - Kishore Ramesh -KVG
#5# *Aditya Madhavan - Raghavendra Rao - Kishore Ramesh -KVG

p.s I am hearing *Nambeesan??? Mrudangam and *Aditya Madhavan for the very first time in a concert

Theme : Mahasivarathri 2024

GLICSPAWES 2024 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #4 of xy is done.

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=381444#p381444