Musings of Music season 2023

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

Musings of Music season 2023

Post by hnbhagavan »

Like in earlier seasons i attended the programs for a selected week and attended the programs mostly at Music Academy and a few at Parthasarathy Sabha and Narada Gana Sabha.As usual crowds thronged for highly popular artistes like Sanjay,RaGa sisters at Music Academy and tickets sold out .In case of others tickets were available and one could purchase without coming in the early hours..Musicians like Saketaraman,Malladi Brothers,Nisha Rajagopal etc had good crowd but not full house.
The afternoon concerts especially 1:30 to 2:30 PM would be full in the ground floor of academy.
Generally the lecdem sessions were well received and almost full at the mini hall.The Lecdems were presided by Erst while capped Sangeetha Kalanidhis including Sanjay,Kanyakumari etc and recent Kalanidhis Lalgudi Siblings,Neyveli etc.
The lecture proceedings have been uploaded in the Music Academy Youtube channel.
The high point is the Canteen at all Sabhas.The lunch was a pricely Rs 550/ and any Dosa item Rs 120 plus.Coffee was priced at Rs50/.
H N Bhagavan

arasi

Re: Musings of Music season 2023

Post by arasi »

A crisp view of your experience in Chennai, Sri. Bhagwan! my stay was short too, and we didn't run into each other. Hoping to see you in one of the Bengaluru concerts.

Yes, the Academy drew a lot of listeners during the day as well.

Food was pricey everywhere it seemed. Some eateries would not serve tiffin during lunch time. The lunches were elaborate with too many items--and the lines! In a way, it was unfair that rasikAs had to wait and wait on line while they filled the place with those who came to just eat and not at all to listen to the music happening there.

I am glad you made it to the lecdems. I wasn't able to.
Last edited by arasi on 05 Jan 2024, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Arasi Madam,
Thank you for your reply.Obtaining Lunch was highly challenging.Waiters disaapear and used to take long time even to get mini meals.Bigger challenge was in the evening concert and one had to leave early to stand any chance of getting food.Visitors depend entirely on the canteen and colsing time 9:30 hrs was too tight after concert end at 09:15 PM.
Perhaps nothing can be done for this and one had to undergo this logistic problem.
One of the flute concert i attended at Narada Gana Sabha produced high noise decibel due to double mridangam,Ghatam and Morsing employed.
One positive aspect was the availability of UBER and even Local autos would not quote unreasonable rates.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Carnatic listeners seem to have a separate Inflation index for food and Auto charges ( indirectly oil) , much like the US business press! :lol:

What about the music itself? ;)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

No doubt the music was quite good.Some of the stars Sanjaya Subramanian,Saketharaman,Lalgudi Siblings performed well.
I found some had strained voice during the season.The lecdems were quite a draw and nearly full house used to attend.The proceedings were well conducted by Sriram and Music Academy has put up all lecdems in its Youtube channel.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I left my question incomplete, as I thought the context will fill it. I was asking about the cost of Music, wherever it is not offered free.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Whilst mostly free...

I paid, this year, for just one concert (ticket actually covered two). Rs.2,200 for best seats at Music Academy. :shock:

Acording to me, they should have given a room for the night for that money! :roll:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
While talking about premium ticket prices and the price of a meal, don't forget that the cost of a reasonable hotel room is much more than the front row tickets. You can't expect the Academy to include that perk to go with your ticket!

Shankarank,
We are now used to the gradual rise in ticket prices over the years--I mean, us folks from abroad. I also find nowadays that in every strata of society, the money they spend on eating out and on entertainment in Bharath is quite staggering!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Arasi, when it comes to hotels, there are so many values of "reasonable!"

I think (from glancing at their restaurant menu) that a very small room at New Woodlands can be had for that. For the posh hotels then we must add multiples. For a humble but clean and comfortable guest house, perhaps half will do!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Advantage of being a Mylaporean is to attend any concert at any time. As we have many free concerts, from BVB to other (till 4 PM) concerts, I had my plans and attended as many concerts.

Attended Pattabiram pandit in Music Academy. Was good but not exceptional. Slowly he is losing his sheen. (of voice)

Malladi Brothers, awarded at Vani mahal (TBGS) gave an exceptional concert. Even my favorite Vijay siva too.

Especially, I attended many concerts of Brahma Gana sabha, hosted at PS School, Mylapore. One thing is very clear, all the artists (from 1.30 PM to 4 PM- 2 concerts), they really performed very well. The accompaniments too. Thanks to see the parents encouragement. With 4 people sitting (some concerts) in the audience, these kids performed exceptionally well, without losing morale.

Sanjay's Vani mahal- he was not at his best. He had a voice problem. His begada and Ganamurthy RTP was not at his standard. Upper octave was totally off. I could not attend any other SS' concert.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

No one here answered as to what happenned to KUTCHERIBUZZ who used to bring out small supplements.Even the website is no updated.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

hnbhagavan wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 13:59 No one here answered as to what happenned to KUTCHERIBUZZ ...
I think it comes from the Mylapore Times people. You could contact them and enquire. Do tell us!