Trichur Brothers@Parthasarathy Sabha on Dec 23rd, 2023

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Trichur Brothers - Srikrishna and Ramkumar Mohan
Violin : Alankode Gokul - Student of A Kanyakumari
Mrudangam : Eldest Brother Trichur Mohan
Ghatam : Vazhapally Krishnakumar - Student of Got Him V Suresh

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Ticketed concert
Day : Saturday
Duration -2 hours and 30 mins

Sabha/Hall : Parthasarathi Sabha
Time : 00 45 PM to 09 15 PM

01. Nera nammiti - varnam - kAnadA - Poochi
02. Gam GanpathE (RS,S) - hamsadhwani - HMB
07 mins swaras

03. Mokshamu galadA - sAramati - T
04. TaayE tripura sundari - sudda saveri - PT

05A. tAyE yashOdA(R N S T) - tOdi - OVK
8 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return
Neraval for 13 mins in kAlinil silambu konja kaivalai
Swaras for 6 mins
05B. Tani for 22 mins

06A. Crowd group singing in behag for some time
06B. narayanathE namO namO - behAg - AC

07. RTP in bhAgeshri for 29 mins
11 mins alapana with no return
5 mins tanned
Pallavi line is sAgara Sayana vibhO prabhO , namO shiva
Swaras in bhAgeshri + Revati + suddasArang
08. Thillana - poorvi -  Tirukkokaranam Vaidyanatha Bhagavatha
09 . Sayee slokham + madhyamavathi slokham

rajeshnat

Re: Trichur Brothers@Parthasarathy Sabha on Dec 23rd, 2023

Post by rajeshnat »

100 to 60 years back , all rasikas hardly had cinema or cinema was in infancy days , all our grand and great grand parents were liking CM as that was their best past time .

60 to 40 years back with AIR and DD , there was just enough marketing , cassettes were costly so as such most people thronged auditoriums , many bought tickets and for sure many musicians were commercially successful , then quite a few Rasika bases moved to North America , they all pooled money and created sabhas and encouraged artists

40 to 18 years proliferation of sabhas started , Slowly the NRI rasikas became parents as they gave birth to kids , the kids were young and there was a push to come to citadel of CM that is madras to hear. Sangeetham. com whose plug was pulled by the two chief betrayers and then that and this lovely rasikas.org was forming and getting formed , fairly high level of collaboration of concerts with reviews got started. Every one downloaded music and said hey did you Hear MMI srirangapura vihara , did you hear SSI swarajathi, what about GNB vasudevayani

From now 0 to 18 years, the above point slowly got built up had its slight up and down and definitely with the advent of covid it exacerbated with serious lack of patronage . There is a generation of parents with kids who are learning who flock and have their own hearing limiting to their chela gurus and friends. My assumption is core rasikas based moved on and there is surely lack of continuity of rasikas and the replenished garden of rasikas just slowly did not filll up enough . Reviews of some lovely sites like rasikas.org which were far better as it is a threaded discussion gave way to face book reviews . Vidwans and Vidushis market with Facebook but excess reviews there appear too monologue as there is no counter reply to any of the reviews . Reviews from News paper like The hindu are hardly talked . I am also guessing the flight rates have shot nearly twice so not that many NRI’s are coming to India , barring arasi and Meenakshi of rasikas I dont see the vasanthakokilam, Mahavishnu, teal . The biggest curse of all is live streaming or excess recording of live has killed sabha patronage. So many come to sabhas like Partha to eat in arusuvai and that crowd is far far greater than rasikas in hall

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Post Aruna Sairam who is a phenomenal crowd puller , I would humbly state in choronological order of my discovery - Sanjay Subrahmanyan, Raga sisters , Abhishek (the most creative) and then possibly this Trichur brothers occupy that status of both Crowd pulling capacity and musical skills intersect. Trichur brothers prepare so well at home , lot of convention away from traditional flow , the voices bit angling at times like colonial cousins like album , all said they are exciting rasikas and there are rasikas who are excited to hear them

Post Ramana veena after a round of coffee and few bajjis of arusuvai Natarajan whom I know very well - arusuvai did give enough petrol to hear this dense concert . How much will they pander to populism is what I had in my mind. Here is my review

The brothers are little too fussy on sound adjustment and they were ok . I thought it was perfect from start , kAnadA is a lovely ragam and this nera nammiti is so soothing . Hamsadhwani with a brief sketch of raga was taking its usual #2 position , I was thinking in my head would they go for vathapi but only gam ganapathe came , this raga hamsadhwani usually has copious swaras and like their paramaguru electric cheenu, swaras came in plenty with racy kalpana.

What a joy is Sadguru Thyagaraja , even if Sadguru did not create any krithis other than this mokhamu galadA I would have been happy. Some spiritual direction is there as moksham but how is this saramathi getting so much into my my mathi (senses). Mokshamu galada was a fantastic rendition .

After slow number, the faster taaye tripurasundari came in well with swaras and few rounds of cittaswaras at their edges , the song did touch me well . I felt konjam more rhythmic tightness would have been better . Partha sabha is a thamizh sabha and the day was Vaikunta Ekadasi . TaayE Yashoda is one of the biggest thamizh main krithis where masses connect better than any of the other trinity krithis of todis . The neraval was long , you can’t take the Madurai Somu that is there when kaallinil silambu konja is on I could notice lot of Somu pidis

Party with the crowd started . The elder Mohan who needs no audience who only hears mrudangam , the two younger Trichur Mohans say this is Adi and the crowd slowly puts taalam for the tani . I am hearing ghatam Krishnakumar for the very first time and he is really fantastic player. I asked him at the end and he said ghatam suresh is his guru . Suresh is no obedient upapakkavadyam artist and indeed this krishnakumar did show his skills and did not cow down to senior Mohan.

Party became more involved party. The brothers sang few swara sangathis of BEhag. Crowd repeated that and then bit more populism got added where they raised their hand to direct the volume of rasikas rendition , it became a bit or a flop like college cultural. Nayayanthe name in behag was sang and towards the end Narayana phrase was sung like Radha kalyana mahotsavam and in that course the brothers kept singing behag alapana in contrast . This level of excess populism was not to my liking at all, but hey my viewpoint is just one viewpoint

Then RTP in bhageshri was handled in a brilliant fashion . Strong alapana in succession with zero violin returns . Packed taanam with clear Mel Kalam taanam was lovely.The Pallavi with most words from MDR krithi was touch and go . Swaras were their forte all emotionally deep ragas , Revati was distinct , I felt suddha Sarang was not very clearly disambiguated with its close cousins. Poorvi thillana has a swara like structure and they again did well

ALankode Gokul was fantastic. How does vidushi Kanyakumari give such quality of violinist . His press was actually more carnatic than the bit at times fusion like sangathis of brothers . Mrudangist Mohan is aging but he played so well taking his sons along with such roller coaster ride bumps where he maintained a tight vellore nadabhadran like finesse. The sure and my first hero discovery was the ghatam artist Krishnakumar and he had lot of knotty variations .

All said Trichur Brothers are succesfully bringing in newer face of rasiikas who are willing to pay. Their marketing strategy works , I have this problem where they suddenly convert concerts like Radha kalyana mahotsavam .

If they cut their overdoing with rasikas sing along I would prefer it that way. The joy of many new comers “coming” and hearing is so nice for me to not just hear and more importantly to see a flourishing CM. If at all I have to take my Kid who shows quite a reluctance to hear cm and still thinks CM Is not for me , she is stilll yet to hear a concert I will very likely take my kid to this Trichur Brothers.

Overall an excellent to outstanding concert for 2 and half hours.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 31 Dec 2023, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Trichur Brothers - Srikrishna and Ramkumar Mohan
Violin : Alankode Gokul - Student of A Kanyakumari
Mrudangam : Eldest Brother Trichur Mohan
Ghatam : Vazhapally Krishnakumar - Student of Got Him V Suresh
Duration -2 hours and 30 mins

GLICSPAWES 2023 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #12 of 12 is done. I have attended one more 13th today and may be will go upto 14 concerts

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=381082#p381082