2016 May 03 Bangalore S Shankar Charulata Ramanujam KUJayachandra Rao BR Ravikumar @ SRSM

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
badari

2016 May 03 Bangalore S Shankar Charulata Ramanujam KUJayachandra Rao BR Ravikumar @ SRSM

Post by badari »

Vocal: Vid. Bangalore S Shankar (BSS)
Vocal Support: Vid. Shankar Ramani (SR)
Violin: Vid. Charulata Ramanujam (CR)
Mridanga: Vid. KUJayachandra Rao
Ghata: Vid. BR Ravikumar

Occasion / Venue: 78th Ramanavami National Music Festival, Sree Ramaseva Mandali, Fort High School

01 chalamEla jEsEvura sArasa varNa shankarAbharaNa khanda Ata swAthi thirunAL

02 siddhi VinAyakam shaNmukhapriya rUpakA m.dhIkshithar (A, S)
Swara @ prasiddha gANa nAyakam

03 bhajarE rE mAnasa shrI AbhEri rUpaka x2 mysore vAsudevAcAr (O)

04 shrI venkatEsham tODi chaturaSra rUpaka pUci srinivAsa iyengAr (A, N, S)
Nereval @ mArajanakam mAdhva nAmakam

05 srIdhara keEshava nArAyaNa kalyANa vasantha Adi nAdOpAsana srInivAsan (O)

06 pakkAla nilabaDi kharaharapriyA tripuTa tyAgarAja (A, N, S)
Nereval @ tanuvu che bandhana

07 akhilAndEshwari rakshamAm dhwijAvanthi Adhi m.dhIkshithar

08 RTP shankarAbharaNa chaturaSra triputa 2 kaLai 1 beat eDupu
pallavi line: dAsharathe karuNA payOnidhe inakula tilaka
tani

09 rAgamAlika shlOka
shringAram kshitinandini ... khamAs
vIram dhanurbhanjane.. aTANA
kAruNyam bali bhOjane.. sahAna
adbhuta rasah sindhou.. rEvati
hAsyam shUrpanakha... mOhana
bhaya maghe.. ranjani
rOudram rAvaNa mardane.. KApi followed by

10 charaNamulE kApi Adhi Bhadrachala Ramadas

11 shringa purAdhIshwari shAradE - kalyANi - Padmacharan( AV Krishnamachar) [updated]

12 manave mantralaya shudha sarang Adhi AVKrishnamachar

13 tirupathi vEnkata ramanA sindubhairavi Adhi purandaradAsar

14 thillAna (Dhim nanana tillillana tillana) brindAvani Balamuralikrishna

15 nInAma rUpamulaku mangaLa sourAshtra Adhi thyAgarAja

review and pic at
http://arohanaavarohana.blogspot.in/201 ... ankar.html

Coincidentally, as i write this review, Bangalore AIR FM is airing Bangalore Sankar !!
Last edited by badari on 04 May 2016, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.

braindrain

Re: 2016 May 03 Bangalore S Shankar Charulata Ramanujam KUJayachandra Rao BR Ravikumar @ SRSM

Post by braindrain »

Badari,

You missed :-)

11. shringa purAdhIshwari shAradE - kalyANi - Padmacharan( AV Krishnamachar)

Sri Shankar conducted a 4 day workshop on the compositions of 'Padmacharan' , last week at Malleswaram followed by a concert at Seva Sadan on the his compositions. I couldn't attend, but would be interested to know if anyone did or any insights.

hnbhagavan

Re: 2016 May 03 Bangalore S Shankar Charulata Ramanujam KUJayachandra Rao BR Ravikumar @ SRSM

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Badari,

Thanks for your nice review.
I wish to point out the apathy of Bangalore Rasikas towards a great Vidwan S Shankar.Although not technically as erudite,I can boldly say his music touched my heart.Full throated singing,very good selection of Kruthis,Swara Prastara and Neravel were the high lights of his concert.
One thing I observed was that Charulata was taking almost same or more time for Alapana returns.
I saw you active in the front rows along with Sri ganapathy i guess.
When the concert was in full swing a chit was passed on near the violinist (may be ganapathy was helping a rasika),but this practice must not be encouraged.
People and organisations complain Karnataka artists are not given chance,but when all karnataka team is performing,majority rows were empty.
Hats off to Bangalore Rasikas.
I can vouch that this was no less than a Chennai Vidwan concert.

badari

Post by badari »

@Hnbhagwan,

Audience have their taste (some like Pizza.. some like tyarsAdam) . People flock what they like. I can vouch for the Audience who attended yesterday: certainly they like pristine music.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear badari,

I hear comments outside how Karnataka artists do not get the chance they deserve,But when there have been many local artists performing,the apathy of our audience is to say the least is shocking!

anandganapathy26

Post by anandganapathy26 »

@badari and @hnbhagavan. Fully agree. Entirely the loss of those who missed such a lovely concert. Many great singers never hankered for publicity. I also feel is not Blore vs Chennai ( Say we get a brilliant singer from Chennai about whom not much is known and the audience will be just as sparse as yesterday) . I have attended a concert by Smt Parassalla Ponnammal (one of Trivandrum's most respected singers ) at Fort High school few years ago and there were hardly 20 people in the audience.

@hnbhagwan, not sure why you are against passing chits. I was helping a fellow rasika as you guessed. There are rasikas who wish to hear some kriti / raga and it is entirely upto the singer / instrumentalist whether to oblige the request or not. No rasika will hold a gun against an artiste's head and force him to sing what he wants to hear :)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I am not against passing chits.But the timing of passing chits.When the artists are in full flow in the middle of song,passing chits is not desirable.
Thani is not considered part of concert.Irrespective of the Thani chits are passed on when the percussionists are in full swing.
But i suggest a solution here.The organisers may keep a box and chits may be put in the box.After thani this box may be passed on to the stage.The artist may take out randomly and oblige the lucky ones.This is a better method.

badari

Post by badari »

hnbhagavan wrote: But i suggest a solution here.The organisers may keep a box and chits may be put in the box.After thani this box may be passed on to the stage.The artist may take out randomly and oblige the lucky ones.This is a better method.
Perfect

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Believe the great MLV once said - all she needed was one rasika in the audience....

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagwan,
I agree that chits can be a nuisance. Chit givers may as well know that a request for a major song stands no chance because it belongs in the more serious (?) part of the concert, and the artiste has already planned on what to sing. Asking during the tani is worse. Even if the singer is keen on obliging, he can't sing a major piece at the end. TukkaDAs, yes. There's a chance for them. However, we have heard on the spot, audible requests, and they mostly turn out to be for the too often heard kind :(

RAgAs requests stand a better chance for them to sing--at least with a tukkaDa number.

In smaller towns concerts, if you are early and the hall is nearly empty, you may get your wish granted, by asking them. Maduraimini does and wins!

Of course, you can E-mail your request to them,way before the concert--even with a heavy number. You may succeed.Who knows!

Anyhow, a little kid carrying a chit to the stage is kind of cute--at least, not annoying to even those who object to chits...

Used to be that Chennai nearly ignored Karnataka musicians (we have discussed it enough times).Things have changed, are changing.

Bengaluru until a dozen years ago did not experience see this many concerts. Things have changed. There are as many concerts in the city as in Chennai. Rajesh will vouch for that.

The only problem now is--which city is better (or worse) in traffic snarls :(
Last edited by arasi on 05 May 2016, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

As for Bengaluru Shankar's concert, a miss for me...

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Chits... as a young boy - my brother and I were regular chit carriers for my dad - and the song I most often carried was "Giripai - Sahana" (didn't know what it meant then). It was years after I started carrying the chits that I actually heard the song - by Santhanam who obliged :) This was before the advent of tape recorders (at least in our household)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Chits. In 80s and 90s, IN Bangalore, the maximum chits were coming for Santhanam, Semmangudi and M.S. Once I gave a chit at the last minute to Semmangudi in RSM for Jagadeesa pancha- Nadanamakriya. A song which SSI sings quite often, But not heard by me for a few years. When he saw the chit, he said- Ippadi chit vandunde irunda train poyidum. But he sang that kriti.

On another occasion, Somebody gave a chit for Pattividuvaradu in RSM. He saw it, Oh Marandu poche, Romba naalaa padalai. Then he turned back to his sishyas. Dey Ongiluku gnapakam irukka. Every body sat like a stone. Then he continued to sing without missing a single word.

I have got a Santhanam concert in RSM, where after the thani nearly 20 songs he has sung accommodating chits- All his favourites which we have heard repeatedly. But there were people asking for those songs and he obliged them wholeheartedly.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

MDR was one person who did not like Chits.It was very humorous also.In Malleswaram when X gave a chit asking for a song,after each song MDR used to look and laugh at the gentleman who gave the chit,giving impression he might sing next.But he will follow his own plan.This happened till the very end of the concert,but the song in the chit did not come out.

KSJaishankar

Post by KSJaishankar »

I yield to no one in my admiration of MDR, and I'm not sure that this example is reflective of the man's view for audience tastes. It could simply have been he did not like THAT song, or felt THAT requester was not someone he wanted to oblige, or he was not in the mood THAT day! The same MDR says (in Thamizh) in a different concert when starting off nAdupai balikEru "I remember these songs only when I see this Narayanaswamy - probably the late KVN - I have not sung this for a long time time now!" and then proceeds to give an exposition as if it that is the only song he has been meditating on all his life. So he does value the (right) audience.

Aprocrypha says that ARI sang a concert full of Musiri specialities. Apparently, Musiri was the originally billed artiste for the concert and someone in the audience did not realize that a switch had happened, and assuming ARI to be Musiri kept requesting Musiri staples like entha vEdukonDu, thiruvaDi SharaNam.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

and assuming ARI to be Musiri kept requesting Musiri staples like entha vEdukonDu, thiruvaDi SharaNam.
Not only these, the rasika asked for 'tEyilai tOTTathilE' also, which too ARI sang without batting an eyelid.

lsr

Post by lsr »

braindrain wrote: 04 May 2016, 10:27 Badari,

You missed :-)

11. shringa purAdhIshwari shAradE - kalyANi - Padmacharan( AV Krishnamachar)

Sri Shankar conducted a 4 day workshop on the compositions of 'Padmacharan' , last week at Malleswaram followed by a concert at Seva Sadan on the his compositions. I couldn't attend, but would be interested to know if anyone did or any insights.

Thanks for this post. This led me to look for Shri Shankar to get the lyrics for Pradosha Samayadi that I have been looking for. He was such a genuine person. Over a phone call, he cleared all my doubts about the lyrics and even explained the meaning of words that I didn't get. I'm really grateful for his kindness.