Ramakrishnan Murthy@ STSVS on April 29th, 2023

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------
Vocal : Ramakrishnan Murthy
Violin : Dr Narmada
Mrudangam : Melakaveri Balaji

rajeshnat

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy@ STSVS on April 29th, 2023

Post by rajeshnat »

01. Dinamani vamsa(S) -HarikambOdhi
3 mins swaras
02.seethamma mAyammA (CS1, neraval, swaras, CS2) - vasantA
Neraval in dharaija bhAgavatA grEsaru levvarO for 2 mins
Swaras for 3 mins

03. Mapala velasika - asaveri
04. vAdera deivamu (R N S) - pantuvarali
3 mins alapana and 2 mins violin return
Neraval in dhAtru vinutuDaina tyAgarAjuni for 3 mins
Swaras for 2 mins

05. Narada gana Lola -atana
06. Sari evarrE rAmayya - gangeyabhushani
07. Ora Jupuju cedi (R S) - kannada gowlai
5 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
3 mins swaras

08. Niravati Sukhada - ravichandrika
09A. rAma bhAnA(R S T) - sAveri
Alapana forgot to note the timing
Swaras for 6 mins
09B. Tani for 4 mins

Speech break
10 . Mokshamu galadha - saramati
11. Bhavanuta - mohanam
12. Pavamana - mangalam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

This is a 2 hours and 15 mins concert from 06 35 to 08 50 pm
As one grows older , that too after covid , there is a steady drop of sabhas and patrons following Carnatic music in Chennai . 15 years back I could easily go to NGS Mini or a SKGS and just hear concerts . Also some great patrons like say Late Safe Ramabadran or nadopasana Sreenivasan next generations are not seen . Travesty of times.

This is where the intellect and the devotion of stalwarts like Tiger Varadachariar , Parur Sundaram Iyer , TL Venkatarama Iyer and Harikesanallur muthiah bhagavathar, sambasiva bhagavathar effort to start a samajam for Thyagaraja here Way back in 1929 is so relevant even today . Reverence and ethos is most important to CM

Ramakrishnan Murthy , certainly a great protege of KVN presented a song list of the so called flag ship vaggeyakkara of CM. The start in Dinamani camas was slightly loud where violin overturned the vocal . Seethamma mayamma in Vasantha turned out very well , his balance to present with a short neraval and swaras with 2 rounds of cittaswaras did give a satisfying Vasantha to me. I love asaveri the short one did create a nice effect on me. Pantuvarali was a bit of mixed Bag , RKM could not traverse well in first half but he did well towards the second half. The Atana krithi did not register that well , but the rare gangeyabhooshani gave a satisfying filler status.

Surprise awaited Me as I heard a Kannada gowlai raga alapana . IT is a tricky raga for Me to disambiguate other ragas , did I think then as saramati (now I am forgettiing ), but orajupu was well with short not that satisfying swaras

Ravichandrika was a short filler , I wish he had skipped and apportioned that time to the main. Saveri was well sung and the DKJ popularised rama baana came out within the aura of the usual mid and lower register heavy saveri .

Post speech the lovely saramati was fantastic , the last bhavanuta possibly he sang for MSG thinking about his daugther Dr Narmada .

Narmada was a bit of mixed bag, her tone can be bit more melodic and at times her return was bit away from the classical rendition style of a pure play. Melkaveri balaji was a responsive mrudangam artist and he kept shadowing the main artist . The tani was ok . I felt little more voice muscle in few songs would have been better

GLICSPAWES 2023 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #2 of 20 is done.

Overall a very good to excellent  concert for 2 hours and 20 mins inclusive of 5 mins break

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Way to go!
GLad I Certainly am, SPecially As With Engaging Special reviews like these in 2023 :) For those of you who think this is all geriatric typing: no, it's just that I am trying to expand on Rajesh's acronym.

You speak of veterans, Rajesh. Let's not forget good old staunch rasika/reviewers either--and here you are!
Yes, after the doldrums of the previous years, we do need more vivid reviews.
Hope more are coming, now that you have written about one of the front runners among CM musicians today for a start...

You go back to Parur Sundaram Iyer, and I remember Narmada's thAthA still! I was a little girl then, of course! .