ATkoLLa vENDum ayyanE - Ananadabhairavi varNam

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

ATkoLLa vENDum ayyanE - Ananadabhairavi varNam

Post by rshankar »

Since the old thread for this created by DanceKala has not migrated with the rest of the topics, I am starting a new one. Kala had requested the lyrics and meaning. Here goes (apologies for the delay):

ATkoLla vENDum ayyanE - Anandabhairavi; Composed by Sri Vijayaraghavan, music composed by Sri Harishankar

pallavi
ATkoLLa vENDum ayyanE Azhi kaiyyanE (ATkoLLa...)

My Lord (ayyanE) who wields a discuss (Azhi) in one of your hands (kaiyyanE), I request (vENDum) you to admit me to your good graces (ATkoLLa)!

anupallavi
vATTum mayyal nOi koNDEn varadA vandaruL cUDi tanda mAlaiyai cUTTi koNDa gOvindA pADi tozhum pAvaiyai kUDi manakuRai tIrAyO

Oh granter of boons (varadA), please come (vandu) and bless me (aruL), for I have been afflicted (koNDEn) by the disease (nOi) of infatuation/love/lust (mayyal) that is torturing/scorching me (vATTum). Oh gOvindA, who accepted/wore (cUTTi koNDa) the garland (mAlaiyai) that was offered (tanda) after it had been worn (cUDi) by another [1], won't you unite (kUDi) with this damsel (pAvaiyai) who worships (tozhum) you through song (pADi) and relieve (tIrAyO) her mental (mana) distress (kuRai)?

muktAyisvara sAhityam
maNa kOlam pUNDu mattaLam koTTa maNanIrADi karam paTRa kaNDa
kanavu nanavAga karuNai puriyAyO nANam viTTu Sonna nangaikku irangAyO (ATkoLLa...)

Will you not you shower (puriyAyO) your compassion (karuNai) so that the dream (kanavu) experienced (kaNDa) where in, wearing (pUNDu) bridal garments (maNa kOlam), having taken the ritual bridal (maNa) bath (nIrADi), you took (paTRa) this damsel's hand (karam) in yours to the sounds/beating (koTTa) of the mattaLam [2], becomes (Aga) true (nanavu)? Will you not you show pity/shower your grace (irangAyO) on this woman (nangaikku) who is asking (Sonna) for this after abandoning (viTTu) all vestiges of bashfulness/feminine shame (nANam)?

caraNa sAhityam
aRamtanai aNaittiDa Avi tuDikkudE nEram karaindu pOgudE

My Lord, my every breath/spirit (Avi) is quivering in anticipation (tuDikkudE) to embrace (aNaittiDa) you, the source of my happiness (aRam tanai) [3], time's (nEram) a wasting (karaindu pOgudE)!

caraNasvara sAhityam 1
kArmEgamE yenakkOr tUdu SellAyO (aRamtanai...)

Oh black (kAr) cloud (mEgamE) will you not go (SellAyO) as a (Or) messenger (tUdu) for me (yenakku) and let my Lord know that (my every breath/spirit is quivering in anticipation to embrace him…)

caraNasvara sAhityam 2
accutA accutA yena kUvum paccai kiLiyE yen iccai kURAyO (aRamtanai...)

Oh green (paccai) parrot (kiLiyE) that calls out (yena kUvum) 'accutA, accutA', will you not tell (kURAyO) him of my (en) innermost desires (iccai) (that my every breath/spirit is quivering in anticipation to embrace him…)?

caraNasvara sAhityam 3
nAraNan oruvanukkAgavE kaDalSUzh dhAraNiyil inda piRaviyai eDuttEn
SEra kAttiruppadAga veNSangE pAraLandavaniDam uraittiDuvAyE (aRamtanai...)

Oh white (veN) conch (SangE), please announce (uraittiDuvAyE) to (iDam) the Lord who measured (aLandavan) the world (pAr) [4] that it is for him, vishNu (nAraNan), alone (oruvanukkAgavE) that I have taken (eDuttEn) this (inda) birth (piRaviyai) on this earth (dhAraNiyil) surrounded (sUzh) by the seas (kaDal), and that I am anxiously waiting (kAttiruppadAga) to unite (Sera) with him (and that my every breath/spirit is quivering in anticipation to embrace him…).

caraNasvara sAhityam 4
tApam ellai mIRudE manmathA mAdhavan tAL SErtiDu
annai ayalArum tozhiyarum ennai kaNDu nagaikkinra nilamai vandadE
karumbu villum malar kaNaiyum Endum mAranE puNNiyam kODi unakkuNDu
Aruyir nAthan inRi iniyum uyir dharittilEn pEdaikkudavi purindiDu (aRamtanai...)

Oh manmathA, my distress (tApam) exceeds (mIRudE) all bounds (ellai), please bring me together (SErtiDu) with the feet (tAL) of my Lord, the husband (dhavan) of lakshmi (mA)! It has now come to pass (vandadE) that people like my mother (annai), my friends (tOzhiyarum), and even those that see me (ayalArum) for the first time, laugh (nagaikinra) when they behold (kaNDu) me (ennai) in this pitiable state (nilamai). Oh manmathA (mAranE) who wields (Endum) a bow (villum) made of sugarcane (karumbu) and flowery (malar) arrows (kaNaiyum), there will be (uNDu) countless (kOTi/kODi) [5] benefits/merits (puNNiyam for you (unakku) – please help (udavi purindiDu) this simpleton/hapless damsel (pEdaikku) for I will not remain alive (uyir dharittilEn) anymore (iniyum) without/deprived of (inRi) the company of my beloved (Aruyir) Lord (nAthan). (My every breath/spirit is quivering with anticipation to embrace him…)

FOOTNOTES
[1] Refers to the myth of ANDAL – cUDi koDutta cuDarkoDi – nice opportunity for a sancAri
[2] Describes the wedding – again, with the dream motif, the reference to ANDAL's story is very strong
[3] I heard the track several times – I thought it was karangaLai first, but I am now convinced that it is aRam tanai – aRam also means the moral path
[4] Refers to vAmana avatAr - another opportunity for a sancAri in a performance with a live orchestra
[5] kOTi – crores, literally
Last edited by rshankar on 17 Feb 2010, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

DanceKala

Re: ATkoLLa vENDum ayyanE - Ananadabhairavi varNam

Post by DanceKala »

Thanks a million Ravi! Great work, as usual!

~Kala

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kala - you're welcome!

Aarti Sampath

Post by Aarti Sampath »

Namaste sir.
It is my humble request to share the audio of this varnam- Aatkolla vendum ayyane.
I wish to perform this for my arrangetram coming up soon and i am unable to find the notations for the last(4th) charanam. I would be forever grateful to anyone who can send the notations and mp3 audio for the last charanam(tapam ellai meerudhe). If i am unable to find it then it will not be included in my choreography since the song is new to the singer.
I have searched online and could only find till the 3rd charanam. Please help me.
Hope you have a great day!
Regards,
Aarti.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The complete song may be available on this CD.
https://www.bharatanatyamworld.com/varn ... e-aid.html

Aarti Sampath

Post by Aarti Sampath »

Thank you so much for your quick response sir.
I have already ordered the CD. I hope it comes.
Thanking you once again.
Aarti.

Unnykrish

Post by Unnykrish »

Shankar sir - Should the charanam not be 'aranganai aNaittiDa Avi tuDikkudE nEram karaindu pOgudE'
I hope 'arangan' is another name of the diety in Srirangam Temple.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Yes, it makes more sense. Thanks. The composer, by the way, is G.Vijayaraghavan.

lsr

Post by lsr »

May I have the notation for this varnam too?

Thank you
LSR