Hyd- Brindha Manickavasakan - Kalasagaram

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sivakami

Hyd- Brindha Manickavasakan - Kalasagaram

Post by sivakami »

Kalasagaram-55th Annual Festival of music

Brindha Manickavasakan
Shreya Devnath
Praveen Sparsh
R. Krishna

This year’s music festival has been very special for all the Rasikas to be able to sit and listen the live kutcheris. Even for the musicians, I am sure it must be equally delightful to sing in front of an audience instead of singing to the camera in a studio. Personally for me, I had decided to attend a few concerts only. So, when I saw the Kalasagaram flyer, I chose to attend Brindha’s surely. I have never listened to her live and also to the team comprising of these youngsters. Feeling very happy to have decided to attend that day, to that power-packed performance.

Song List:
1. Vanajakshi – Kalyani varnam
2. abhimanamennadu galgu rama - Begada -Patnam Subramanya Iyer (N & Sw @kanna thaNdriyani nammi..)
3. thaNigai valar saravaNa bhavaa – thodi – Papanasam Sivan
4. Nannu vidachi kadhalakuraa – Reethi Gowla – Thyagaraja ( R – 5 min, Vio-4 min)
5. Maayamma yani ne – Ahiri – Syama Sastri
6. Anabettithinani – Kambhoji – Bh. Ramadasu
7. Rama katha Sudha – Madhyamavathi – Thyagaraja (R – 12 min, vio – 9 min; N& S@ bhamamaNi janaki)
8. Tani – 27 min
9. PAhi Ramachandra Raghava – Yadhukula Kambhoji
10. Kundram endhi kuLir mazhai – Hindolam, sindhu Bhairavi, Yamuna Kalyani -Azhwar pasuram, followed by Bhavayami gopala baalam – Annamacharya
11. AnnapoorNe visalakshi – Sama – Muthuswany Dikshitar
12. Tillana
Mangalam

Brindha began her concert briskly with the varnam sung in two speeds. Next, a brief begada alapana gave us a feel as if it is going to be Ganesha kriti. But she began ‘abhimanennadu’ to our pleasant surprise and rendered it with great bhavam, pleading to Lord Rama in her neraval. The song although fast paced, was dealt in quite a detailed manner, with sweet returns from Shreya. When she started the notes of thodi, one starts imagining what she might appeal to SriRama, but immediately she began ‘thaNigai valar’ reminding us it was Subramanya Sashti that auspicious Tuesday. For me it was a new kriti and I enjoyed immensely. In the charanam line, “thogai mayil melae” was sung so beautifully with very sweet violin “siNungal, giving us a feel as if a Mayil (peacocock) is dancing if front of us.
Next the Reethi gowla alapana followed by ‘nannu vidachi’ implied it was the submain. But the absence of a nice neraval & Kalpana swarams after the slow and soothing rendition of the kriti, gave me a somewhat incomplete feeling.

Melodious ‘maayamma..’- I was telling my friend, as ‘kanna thaNdri’ Lord Rama is not heeding to her plea, now she is appealing to Meenakshamma in this song. After the filler in Kambhoji came the Grand main in Madhyamavathi. The tani avarthanam for 27 min, was testing our patience a bit, as it nearly 9 PM and one would not want to leave without listening to the nice thukkadas section. Also wondered if senior vidwans would allow this kind of a long session. I just loved the thiruvaimozhi slokam that she sang fully in hindolam, then topped it with “thiruvenkata maamalai” in sindhu bhairavi and “nam vinai oyume” in yamauna Kalyani, following it up with Bhavayami Gopala baalam that blended so well. I was surprised when she started “Annapurne visalakshi” at the end of the concert. Overall, it was a fabulous kucheri. Brindha’s good diction was another feature I enjoyed. Shreya with her soft bowing, was following every phrase, many times it was like young girls teasing each other playfully. The two young percussionists were excellent throughout. I was very happy for choosing to attend this concert.

rajeshnat

Re: Hyd- Brindha Manickavasakan - Kalasagaram

Post by rajeshnat »

sivakami wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 19:23 9. PAhi Ramachandra Raghava – Yadhukula Kambhoji
12. Tillana
The tani avarthanam for 27 min, was testing our patience a bit, as it nearly 9 PM and one would not want to leave without listening to the nice thukkadas section. Also wondered if senior vidwans would allow this kind of a long session.
Very well written sivakami. Brinda is known for her good feel of lyrics , her thamizh ucharippu is top class. She usually sings some one unheard rare number . In this concert it is Anabettithinani – Kambhoji – Bh. Ramadasu which i have not heard before. This is nice spread of all great composers.

PAhi Ramachandra Raghava – Yadhukula Kambhoji - Thyagaraja
The above krithi has come to brinda possibly from her paramaguru Musiri and her guru Suguna Varadachari

27 mins tani even by a star in the making -Praveen Sparsh along with R Krishna must have been way too long . You forgot to mention the thillana details . Atleast ragam and/or composer will help. There is a possibility among the 4 brinda may be the senior most vidushi/vidwan . The senior vidushi/vidwan has allowed :)

sivakami

Re: Hyd- Brindha Manickavasakan - Kalasagaram

Post by sivakami »

Thanks Rajeshnat Sir!
"Anabettithinani" is a Bh. Ramadasu kriti tuned by Sri. Nedunuri Krishnamurthy Guruji. Early, during the 'Vaggeyakara utsavam', that is celebrated around Vasantha panchami every year, the organizers had online concerts via MadRasana official YT channel. Brindha also sang in that series, wherein this song was rendered. It was again another marvellous kucheri.

https://youtu.be/_CRlaDvSfzM

Yadhukula kambhoji kriti, was so serene. Yes it must be in her parama guruji's parampara.
Tillana, since I had to leave, some friend told me about it later. But wasn't sure of the details. So, no idea.

Btw, other kucheris of the Bhadrachalam festival can be viewed in

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dh ... Hi2oOwaMaL