Sikkil Gurucharan@Archana Trust (PS High School) on Nov 26th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sikkil Gurucharan
Violin : V Sanjeev
Double Mrudangam : Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam and his student pazhani Balaji
Kanjira : Bangalore S Purushotaman

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 20 mins - 06:55 to 09:15 PM
Hall : Tag Dakhshinamoorthy Hall
Sabha: Archana Music and Charitable Trust
Occasion : 10th Anniversary of Archana

0. Brief speech by U ve Su

1. sami ninnE -varnam - Shree ragam - Karur Devudu Iyer
2. sakala kala VaniyE(S) - kedaram- Suddananda bharathi
4 mins swaras

3. venkataramana (R,N)-lathangi - PSivan
9 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
neraval in alarmEL mangai manala for 6 mins

4. rangapura vihara - brindavanasaranga - MD

5A.yaarO ivar yaarO (R S T) -bhairavi - AK
12 mins each for alapana and 8 mins violin
swaras for 8 mins
5B. tani for 24 mins

8. gandamu poyya ruka - PunnagavarAli - Thyagaraja
9. manadirkkugandadu - sindhubhairavi - TSI
10. viruththam - aadi aadi agam - madhyamavati - thiruvaimozhi pasuram

rajeshnat

Re: Sikkil Gurucharan@Archana Trust (PS High School) on Nov 26th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Chennai Music season did suffer a total drought in years 2020 and in year 2021 the drought was partial. One thing that is very bad that has happened is rasikas started way too much hearing concerts with all these live streams so there is not enough thrust for them to go to a sabha and hear a live concert .Also there is a chance we lost lot of senior citizens who are not that much alive to hear concerts . I called last series my series as GLICSPAWES , that acronym stands for "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" GLICSPAWES 2021 had a count of 8 or 9 i think. Let me keep roughly a goal of 12 for GLICSPAWES 2022 season that ends in second week of Jan 2023. The season has started from november with say Madhuradhwani and BVB in mylapore. I had a chance to see the newspaper on Saturday. The engagement column mentioned a sabha by name Archana Music Trust and the hall was the age old PS HIGH School which is recently air conditioned and is called as Tag Dakshinamoorthy hall

The pull was the start time being mentioned as 6 PM start and the sabha lined up three speakers one was the most notable spekar U Ve Su , who is a tamil sholar and CM known circle speaker who is also ex principal of Vivekananda college . As I just came in at dot 6 pm the hall was ready with limited crowd and 3 empty chairs in dias . The senior mrudangist had a recording in Jaya TV or something and there was a delay. At 06 30 only the ex principal spoke and he spoke well. The organizers did not extend the speech and the concert started at 06 55 PM . The flamboyant Bhakthavatsalam Sir said apart from me my student Pazhani Balaji will also play . So it was 2 mrudangam and 1 kanjira along with Gurucharan and his usual violin accompaniment V Sanjeev

The start was a shree ragam varnam . Volume of both vocalist and Mrudangam was high. The senior mrudangam volume being high is expected yes in general but I think Gurucharan strategically felt his volume can be made higher to suit the little more volume expressive Bhaktha. Strategic mistakes are perhaps big debacles. Sree ragam varnam was not clean strike . The next kedaram was a thamizh krithi in kedaram it is a tvs vintage of suddanandabharathi and the krithi is sakala kala vaniyE , it takes a little aggressive kedaram typecast , gurucharan sang well but felt the percussion exuberance was bit of over exeburance. I missed the older Dakshinamoorthi hall the volume in excess will escape out as the hall is NON AC with doors and windows open. The curse of Air conditioning is an unwanted anavsiyam, it hastens infection in the body and definitely keeps the SOUND infection right inside

Latangi a raga that has a bit of mixed reaction to me in my taste . I sometimes feel musicians can choose say pantuvarali or a kalyani and may be skip latangi. Gurucharan prepares very well and he sang a neat typecast end to end submain with venkataramana. He stuck to core krithi anubhava rasa with a limited range of manodharama but latangi indeed kalaikattufied the concert Slowly the rotation to junior Pazhani Balaji was also given , one has to give to Bhaktha sir for training so many students who are indeed concert worthy. Any case the best of the krithis came next .To me just like a sick man having his first sathukudi juice, the brindavanasaranga makes my day. Ranga Pura Vihara though immortalized by MS amma but also in the last 15 years i discovered the ganakaladhara madurai mani Highest singing Ranga Pura vihara. The krithi has so much contours to musically excel,you can show the aural contours of both the crest and trough of musical rasa - what can i say do i love the srirangam temple or the brindavana saranga ragam or the ever analytical Muthuswami dikshitar . Gurucharan did sing rangapura vihara very well , his enunciation is clear and the song was a great choice to also keep the percussion into over exuberance mode.

Bhairavi ragam was a neat prepared alapana typecast . This arunachala kavirayar ramanatakam krithi is supposed to be retuned from saveri Aaro to Bhairavi Yaaro by Ariyakudi who commited the blasphemy of retuning original ragas. I think many musicians skip the charnam line starting with bhagyam enbabthu or did i miss that line totally i heard few extra charnam lines with bhagyam enbathu.I have personally heard most of them singing neraval in chandram bimba and once one vidwan singing in a rare line like angum ingum ... . I thought charan will sing a neraval with chandra bimbam but he skipped the neraval and went into swaras, the curse of delayed start made me lose a neraval in a great ghana ragam bhairavi . The rhythm was quite heavy for a little usually soft fragile voice of gurucharan , at times i had to hear charan singing behind the two mrudangist and one kanjira

The tukkadas was quite light to me. The folkish gandamu poyya ruka ,in the punnagavarali was very good but excess percussion strikes bit robbed the snake charming punnagavarali. The manadirkku ugandhadu was well done and the last aadi aadi agam Karaindu(pasuram) was new to me, the emote and words were well set for my enjoyment. Sanjeev played well and his returns were concise ,his alapana return in bhairavi was the best and he structured it bit long but still ok. The senior mrudangist had plenty of patterns but at times the left volume was quite heavy and whenever kanjira also decides to give the same thoppi like boom was a sporadic tear to my ears. The younger Balaji had lot of great momentum, promise is there in plenty, he will march towards disciples like Delhi Sairam for sure. BSP played kanjira very well to suit the double mrudangam for most times especially in tani he gave great kanjira sound but when the course of krithi when momentum buildsup say a anupallavi line then 3 team percussion is good only for laya vaadhyam students.

The tani was well received by the audience , bhakthavatsalam has tremendous control and his tani had enough originality and he was very cleverly apportioning to both. The joy of young balaji walking out of pandal and taking the garland only after doing aashtanga namaskaram to Bhaktavatsalam is surely going to help his growth.Bhaktha sir's few patterns with superb fingering needs a more open pandal hall and definitely a more stronger voice other than gurucharan will suit better. All said Gurucharan is packing more muscle power in his vocal and he is singing bit more significant weighty sangathis.

Thanks to organizers of Archana trust , i think sabha patron name is vijayaraghavan or something . He only remained in the backseat and was assisted minimally by MC lady and a brief vote of thanks . I think Archana is just like SAFE sabha . They have taken lot of pains to start a sabha for the last 10 years.NExt time if the start is 6pm let us say start the concert at 06 30 PM please . Bhaktha sir said archana sabha is running in Ranipet or vellore , possibly for the 10th anniversary he held it here in mylapore. The organizers and rasikas could not do much as we all lost 20 mins of music - as a redemption you sing and hear the line for youself chandra bimbam mukha malarAnen in the ever resplendent bhairavi.

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #1 of 12 is done.

OVerall a very good concert for 2 hours and 20 mins.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 28 Nov 2022, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Sikkil Gurucharan@Archana Trust (PS High School) on Nov 26th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sikkil Gurucharan
Violin : V Sanjeev
Double Mrudangam : Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam and his student pazhani Balaji
Kanjira : Bangalore S Purushotaman

Sabha: Archana Music and Charitable Trust
Occasion : 10th Anniversary of Archana

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378110#p378110